HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/30/17 GMBM press conference 12:00pm

View Poll Results: What will GMBM do/say?
We like our team 13 43.33%
We are keeping Trotz 6 20.00%
We fire Trotz 2 6.67%
We resign Oshie 9 30.00%
Nothing important 13 43.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-30-2017, 12:28 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I have notified your local message boards and let them know that you are now all eligible for trades

In other words, another year at the country club with the cool coach that takes it easy on us vets.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB12 View Post
It isn't . You arn't going to get perfect shots in the playoffs. Defense are tighter, goalies are more focused. If Kuzy and Mojo want to play that kind of hockey, you tell them to make the all star game this year. But they can't rely on that kind of hockey come playoff time. You have a shot, any shot, then ****ing take it. Don't pass to get the "perfect shot". I feel like they wasted so many opportunities doing that.
What a short memory you have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhPPufpAxU

Last edited by Hivemind: 05-30-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have notified your local message boards and let them know that you are now all eligible for trades

In other words, another year at the country club with the cool coach that takes it easy on us vets.
Yeah, I mean, it hasn't worked in 43 years so let's not change it. So what's 2018-19 looking like?

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:34 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Neither firing nor extending Trotz reeks of ownership not being willing to spend on coaching.
Yep, but also reeks of management not sure of what needs to be done.

You can almost see their line of amateur hour thinking. Extending him sends the wrong message and will cost us. Fire him? He is a good guy that just happens to run into Pitt every year. Let's not extend him, which keeps him a tight leash and us on a tight budget. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Old
05-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

During the entirety of Ovechkin's career, they've only been required to spend on dual head coaching duties once (Dale Hunter after they fired Boudreau). Every other time it's either been after the expiration of a contract (Oates) or when they promoted someone within on an interim basis. Hanlon was an assistant before replacing Cassidy, and Boudreau was the AHL coach before replacing Hanlon.

Old
05-30-2017, 12:43 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
LMAO. Yeah, he has a history here. Of losing in embarrassing fashion. With OV and Trotz staying this team is already dead next season.
This.

GMBM just signed his own pink slip.

They might make the playoffs next year and and be swiftly eliminated.

"History"... pathetic.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

MacLellan's comments just don't square with what the players said they believe needs to happen. Wait two weeks and talk about the risks of change? Unless he's bluffing and seriously pursuing hockey trade options his comments don't make sense. If he can't sort through trade options that make them better in his estimation then what is he good for? (Particularly since he admitted he needs to do a better job of holding people accountable?)

There are significant risks in this team staying the same and placing more of a burden on leadership to compensate for a team with three or four rookies isn't likely to help. This is both their free-spending and weak system coming home to cost them. The coaching staff at any level hasn't shown the ability to develop players so that they're more than ready, despite going slower with them. This has the makings of a write-off transition year, esp. if the cap inflator isn't invoked. In some ways I hope it isn't...if their poor planning costs them Oshie then so be it. All of their limitations are of their own making.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

LOL so status quo.

No point watching this upcoming season.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:49 PM
hockeykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
LOL so status quo.

No point watching this upcoming season.
Okay see you next April

hockeykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Okay see you next April
Enjoy.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:08 PM
hockeykicker

Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Here's how GMBM broke down what the roster will look like going forward: Burakovsky in top6. Schmidt in top4. Connolly on 3rd line.

hockeykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Enjoy
'Bye, Barry. Thank you.

You'll be back, Rockatansky! You're hooked, Max. And you know it!

I can see the headline now, after 30 games in which the Caps went 15-10-5 scoring and allowing exactly 2.5 G/G in both, Barry Trotz was extended another year. Merry Christmas.

Old
05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Okay see you next April
What happens in April? We watch them play golf?

Old
05-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
What happens in April? We watch them play golf?

Last edited by Langway: 05-30-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old
05-30-2017, 01:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
MacLellan's comments just don't square with what the players said they believe needs to happen. Wait two weeks and talk about the risks of change? Unless he's bluffing and seriously pursuing hockey trade options his comments don't make sense. If he can't sort through trade options that make them better in his estimation then what is he good for? (Particularly since he admitted he needs to do a better job of holding people accountable?)

There are significant risks in this team staying the same and placing more of a burden on leadership to compensate for a team with three or four rookies isn't likely to help. This is both their free-spending and weak system coming home to cost them. The coaching staff at any level hasn't shown the ability to develop players so that they're more than ready, despite going slower with them. This has the makings of a write-off transition year, esp. if the cap inflator isn't invoked. In some ways I hope it isn't...if their poor planning costs them Oshie then so be it. All of their limitations are of their own making.
I believe he's pursuing some significant trade...has to be.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:38 PM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Couldn't agree more. This is the one time where GMBM sounded very out of sort. Seems very uncharacteristic of him and more of what Leonsis wants. He waited all this time to review the team and comes to the conclusion that nothing really needs to change. Some interesting points that I took away

Trotz
He is being lame ducked which is fairly uncommon in the NHL. From what Isabelle said it seems as though they aren't on the same page lately. BMac seems to like Connolly and wants to qualify him , Trotz benched him in the playoffs. BMac wants to put young guys into the lineup, Trotz hates to play young guys especially total rookies with no experience like Bowey, Barber, and Djoos will be. The major point between these too I found interesting was Trotz's comment on the teams history and brushing it off, BMac said they have a difference of opinion on that and that the coaches have to get the players over that hurdle. Which clearly Barry has not done.
What I think: BMac doesn't want Trotz, Leonsis does, or there is no better option available which is realistic. I hope frustration boils over from lack of playing young guys, Trotz gets canned by Christmas, Caps pull a Penguins and win the Cup with a new coach.

Ovechkin
Ovi has never been forced to change his game and it was never until this season that it was a noticeable problem. He is heavy for the game but still is one shot from changing the game every single time he is on the ice. I think the lowered ice time was more harm than good, especially in the playoffs. NOBODY in the NHL gets more energy from scoring a goal than Ovi. Use that energy to score more goals (). He does need to get some speed back into his game, hands back, and youthful energy, but can't sacrifice his physical play. To be honest I don't hate the Ovi of old where he focused on scoring 50 goals there just has to be a better balance of 50 goals and an even rating not -35. This was Ovi's worst season as a pro hands down so take everything with a grain of salt.

Defense
BMac pretty confidently said that the Top 4 would be Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov, Scmidt. I don't think he would say that with fear of losing Schmidt to Las Vegas. Have to think that BMac is working GMGM to take Orpik somehow. Then add in one of Djoos or Bowey there's 5 defense. Who will be the 6th is interesting because Trotz will never, ever, without a doubt in my mind, play 2 rookie d-men in the same game

Goalies
Losing Korn, atleast partly, will hurt. I expect Holtby to regress slightly based off that. There was no mention of Grubauer from what I saw, so assumption is he will be gone somehow.

Future
If this team loses a heartbreaker in the 2nd round again next year it is over and done for. Ovechkin will be crushed, Backstrom will be as well. Young guys will lose hope. New coach in the books. Free agents won't come. No prospects down the line. They said it was a two year window but man all of the chips are really on the table for the entire franchise. If they don't win next year it is going to come plummeting down fast. That is a lot on the plate.

This team needs an identity, haven't had one since Bruce and I don't think they will next season. I am pretty frustrated by the press conference but I genuinely don't think it is BMac, this has Ted Leonsis written all over it.

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV Rocks View Post
Ovechkin
Ovi has never been forced to change his game and it was never until this season that it was a noticeable problem.
Uhhhhh... the Dale Hunter and Adam Oates years?

Old
05-30-2017, 01:49 PM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Uhhhhh... the Dale Hunter and Adam Oates years?
Meant it more in terms of the style of NHL play

apologies

Old
05-30-2017, 01:50 PM
PB12

Quote:
What a short memory you have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhPPufpAxU
Wow congrats. Good for Mojo for popping out of his shell a game, then going back in for the next 7. And if you thought this years playoff line 2 was good then next years will be even better. Its like watching someone poke nails into their eyelids.

PB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:55 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB12 View Post
No he ain't. He is top five. Playing ring around rosey with the puck around the net and doing nothing with it is unacceptable. Thats all he did. That might work in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. And he has had enough time to figure that out.
He was playing with a broken hand or finger. The last few years he's been good in the playoffs until some injury strikes and then he disappears.

Overall this presser is exactly what I expected. The quote about easier to screw it up than improve it is precisely what I described in another thread about Prospect Theory and fear of loss.

Someone needs to take control of that locker room and change the mentality 180 degrees because that kind of necessary adjustment is not going to come from management.

05-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV Rocks View Post
I am pretty frustrated by the press conference but I genuinely don't think it is BMac, this has Ted Leonsis written all over it.
See the Trotz thread for a tweet that lines up with that. I'd need to watch or listen to get a better sense compared to just quotes. Gotta get that subtext but I don't doubt he's had his balls chopped off by ownership. It's how they roll. McPhee became political toward the end because it was a necessity. He didn't even go out with his own coach so what are we to really expect here? It's fundamentally dysfunctional.

Old
05-30-2017, 02:00 PM
PB12

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
He was playing with a broken hand or finger. The last few years he's been good in the playoffs until some injury strikes and then he disappears.

Overall this presser is exactly what I expected. The quote about easier to screw it up than improve it is precisely what I described in another thread about Prospect Theory and fear of loss.

Someone needs to take control of that locker room and change the mentality 180 degrees because that kind of necessary adjustment is not going to come from management.
When did the injury happen. I know Bura and Ovs

Old
05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Roughing

Quote:

There's only one real way to change the locker room: send 8 out.

Old
05-30-2017, 02:05 PM
PB12

Quote:
There's only one real way to change the locker room: send 8 out.
And thats not going to happen until at least his contract ends.

Old
05-30-2017, 02:08 PM
OV Rocks

Quote:

MOJO would be an elite 3rd line LW. Nobody would have a problem with him then. He creates plays for people on the ice and is pretty good in front of the net. He would still put up 40-50 points there. Unfortunately there is no other player to slot in on the second line LW.

Burakovksy maybe but I personally want to see him back on the right side playing with Ovi and Kuzy for everyone's benefit