HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/30/17 GMBM press conference 12:00pm

View Poll Results: What will GMBM do/say?
We like our team 13 43.33%
We are keeping Trotz 6 20.00%
We fire Trotz 2 6.67%
We resign Oshie 9 30.00%
Nothing important 13 43.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Brian23

vCash: 500
This really screams to me that GMBM wanted to make some moves, go another direction perhaps, but Ted didn't want to. No way a GM admits having a philosophical difference with his HC and then being happy to keep working with them.

I also wonder if the Oshie bit was gamesmanship to try and cheat the expansion draft because all the reports were that it was all but done.

Brian23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:21 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB12 View Post
When did the injury happen. I know Bura and Ovs
https://www.russianmachineneverbreak...nguins-series/

Quote:
More news is slowly coming out about just how banged up the Capitals were in the playoffs. Forward Marcus Johansson, the Caps hero in the first round of the playoffs, was playing with a fractured finger.

On Thursday, Johansson was asked by Aftonbladet’s Per Bjurman on if he would participate in the 2017 World Championship. Johansson said he doubted it and then revealed the nature of his injury.

“I would absolutely have gone to the World Championship, but I doubt it since I have a fractured finger and might have to operate,” Johansson said to Bjurman per a translation by Magnus Cadelin.

According to a source close to the team, Johansson suffered the injury during Game One of the Capitals second-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Johansson used a numbing spray on his finger to play through the injury.
So once again he's gangbusters in the first round, gets hurt, and then is ineffective in the 2nd round.

05-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

3rd line Connolly means top-6 Wilson?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:23 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Disappointing, but expected. Also kind of relieving. This and last year I dedicated 9+ hours every week trying to catch every game knowing that this was their best shot to rewrite history. This presser makes it easier to get some of my life back as I'll no longer be making this team a top priority. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, your 2017-18 Washington Capitals:

Ovie-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Connolly
Carey-Beagle-Boyd/Barber

Orlov-Niskanen
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Chorney

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
3rd line Connolly means top-6 Wilson?
Would be dissapointed with both of these, but could also mean they want the 4th line to be carried by Wilson again. Also, if Dre is Top 6 they need another 3rd line winger.

Brian23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:24 PM
CapsSkins

Based on Isabelle's tweets, we're likely staring at:

Ovie-Backy-Oshie
Mojo-Kuzy-Bura
Conno-Eller-Wilson
Hershey-Beagle-Hershey

Orlov-Nisky
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Hershey

Holts

Yaaay......

2 questions for Mac:

1) What makes you think that lineup has a better chance to win the cup than this past year?

2) If PITT's identity is speed, CHI's identity is skill and discipline, and LAK's identity is heavy, what is the Caps's identity?

Unfortunately, I don't see any reason to be optimistic about this upcoming year.

CapsSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:25 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Disappointing, but expected. Also kind of relieving. This and last year I dedicated 9+ hours every week trying to catch every game knowing that this was their best shot to rewrite history. This presser makes it easier to get some of my life back as I'll no longer be making this team a top priority. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, your 2017-18 Washington Capitals:

Ovie-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Eller-Connolly
Carey-Beagle-Boyd/Barber

Orlov-Niskanen
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Chorney
First impression is "wild card team at best, probably bounced in the first round of the playoffs" (noting no Oshie there)

Oh, and why do I have the feeling Oshie vacationing with Shatty's family will lead to convos that result in both of them leaving for more money?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:30 PM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsSkins View Post
Based on Isabelle's tweets, we're likely staring at:

Ovie-Backy-Oshie
Mojo-Kuzy-Bura
Conno-Eller-Wilson
Hershey-Beagle-Hershey

Orlov-Nisky
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Hershey

Holts

Yaaay......

2 questions for Mac:

1) What makes you think that lineup has a better chance to win the cup than this past year?

2) If PITT's identity is speed, CHI's identity is skill and discipline, and LAK's identity is heavy, what is the Caps's identity?

Unfortunately, I don't see any reason to be optimistic about this upcoming year.

ANNNDDDDD once again the Caps bottom six disappears in the playoffs leaving the Caps too top heavy to make any sort of a run only to be further hindered by lack of defensive production or ability to push the puck up the ice cause God Damn Orpik and Chroney are traffic cones.

I think I am more frustrated with the team, or atleast management, now than I was when I lost. You knew they had the ability to f up and lose the playoffs now they are just gonna wash rinse repeat

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:47 PM
TheDayMan

So off the presser it's gonna be this

Bura Nick Oshie
OV Kuz Mojo
connoly Eller Wilson
Vrana Beagle Hershey

Niskanen Orlov
Schmidt Carlson
Orpik Hershey

Very mediocre

TheDayMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Odds that Justin Williams ends up in Pittsburgh?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:58 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Trotz likes our lethargic vets that coast all year and then try to flip the switch at the very end, hoping they don't get injured.

Vets coasting all year, really screws up the development of prospects, and the testing of the farm system. Vets coasting don't get injured, and miss no time. It clogs the pipe, and it seems to rot.

Our bottom 6 vanishes every year. At least this year, we tried to shuffle the lineup. Of course, we dumped a forward completely for 7D, which we had never really done. We did get Carey a game, which is an improvement on last year, at least.

BMac seems to be in a tough spot. Try and keep Oshie out of NY, mediate the RFAs, let the other UFAs walk, trying to control the further damage George does to our roster, and re-eval where we are. It seems unfair he gets to take a player off our roster.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 03:00 PM
CapsSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Trotz likes our lethargic vets that coast all year and then try to flip the switch at the very end, hoping they don't get injured.

Vets coasting all year, really screws up the development of prospects, and the testing of the farm system. Vets coasting don't get injured, and miss no time. It clogs the pipe, and it seems to rot.

Our bottom 6 vanishes every year. At least this year, we tried to shuffle the lineup. Of course, we dumped a forward completely for 7D, which we had never really done. We did get Carey a game, which is an improvement on last year, at least.

BMac seems to be in a tough spot. Try and keep Oshie out of NY, mediate the RFAs, let the other UFAs walk, trying to control the further damage George does to our roster, and re-eval where we are. It seems unfair he gets to take a player off our roster.
It's unfair we have to continue watching this ********.

Make some trades, shake it up, try something new!! It's unfathomable to me that a team that can't get past the 2nd round hires a coach who can't get past the 2nd round, spends 3 years with stacked rosters still unable to get past the 2nd round, and ultimately decides to stay the course.

Old
05-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Roughing

I'm with the idea that BMac wanted to do something big and Loser Ted wouldn't let him. GMBM surely hasn't been shy to say what he means and do what he says. Now, he's supposedly just fine with "whatever, we'll roll with a worse version of what we just lost with." I don't buy that. Yeah, I get money and prospect problems but you can not keep this core. You just can't. It's a rotting corpse.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 03:15 PM
CapsSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
I'm with the idea that BMac wanted to do something big and Loser Ted wouldn't let him. GMBM surely hasn't been shy to say what he means and do what he says. Now, he's supposedly just fine with "whatever, we'll roll with a worse version of what we just lost with." I don't buy that. Yeah, I get money and prospect problems but you can not keep this core. You just can't. It's a rotting corpse.
I'm holding out some hope that he just doesn't want to cede negotiating leverage with other teams. Or maybe that he's open to making trades but is waiting to see how that market shapes up closer to the draft. To just say **** it and stand pat would be so demoralizing.

Old
05-30-2017, 03:31 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Abandon all ye hope here Caps fans.

There is no amazing prospect in the pipeline, there is no $$$ left, and we have a group that has proven they are incapable of getting over this mental hurdle. This team is going to be mediocre at best moving forward. Things are only going to get worst from here on out.

I'd be fine with this approach if they had some plan for getting better, aka getting younger and developing prospects. Instead, we are teetering between a re-tool and re-build.

CaptainKonoForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDayMan View Post
So off the presser it's gonna be this

Bura Nick Oshie
OV Kuz Mojo
connoly Eller Wilson
Vrana Beagle Hershey

Niskanen Orlov
Schmidt Carlson
Orpik Hershey

Very mediocre
With the same coaching and system in place, yes.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV Rocks View Post
MOJO would be an elite 3rd line LW. Nobody would have a problem with him then. He creates plays for people on the ice and is pretty good in front of the net. He would still put up 40-50 points there. Unfortunately there is no other player to slot in on the second line LW.

Burakovksy maybe but I personally want to see him back on the right side playing with Ovi and Kuzy for everyone's benefit
I think people have unrealistic expectations for points in this day and age. 50 points would have tied him for 90th in the league for forwards. That's essentially the bottom of 1st line scoring numbers. 40 would have been tied for 138, squarely in 2nd line scoring territory. Everyone seems to want two first lines, a third line that scores like a 2nd line, and a 4th line that scores like a 3rd.

He already is an elite 2LW or better. 58 points was good for 45th in the league.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 04:14 PM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I think people have unrealistic expectations for points in this day and age. 50 points would have tied him for 90th in the league for forwards. That's essentially the bottom of 1st line scoring numbers. 40 would have been tied for 138, squarely in 2nd line scoring territory. Everyone seems to want two first lines, a third line that scores like a 2nd line, and a 4th line that scores like a 3rd.

He already is an elite 2LW or better. 58 points was good for 45th in the league.
Well look at the Penguins......

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 04:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yep, but also reeks of management not sure of what needs to be done.

You can almost see their line of amateur hour thinking. Extending him sends the wrong message and will cost us. Fire him? He is a good guy that just happens to run into Pitt every year. Let's not extend him, which keeps him a tight leash and us on a tight budget. Yeah, that's the ticket.
That's all on Ted IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 04:40 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Here's how GMBM broke down what the roster will look like going forward: Burakovsky in top6. Schmidt in top4. Connolly on 3rd line.

The chicken**** status quo attitude demonstrated by management clearly filters into the play on the ice.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 04:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

I wonder how most season ticket holders are feeling right now? I feel like a good part of them are happy with a decent regular season team, just for the event to go to 41 times a year.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

He is right though and people here don't want to hear it.

You can't make this team better by making many moves, it's likely that any moves you do make are just cutting off your nose to spite your face. So your only option is to tinker, what else is there? Blow up the team? Okay, sure, but why do you have to do that now? Everyone on here goes on and on about the "window", so blowing up the team erases the window, why does that need to happen ASAP?

Realistically this is a good hockey team who for the past two seasons have lost tough series to the eventual (likely) SCF champion, they truly are on the cusp. I think GMBM is right, there really is no other option aside from holding pat. The narrative is the narrative until you break it, so while I understand the sense from people on here about this team being cursed or needing an enema, I also believe that if they were to somehow get over that hump next year this sense of "needing" major change becomes a clear over reaction in hind sight.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 05:02 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Really kind of baffling, after I've had a chance to digest it a bit. This group will be undoubtedly be worse than the previous three teams under Trotz (barring any large trades), and their answer is... to do nothing? Pencil in a guy who was healthy scratched in the playoffs into the top 9? Continue along with the same old aging and underperforming core and just sprinkle in some cheap depth?

So, do they think that a worse group will be good enough to get over the hump? Are they content with just letting this year ride and hoping for the best? Is Ted's directive to ensure that this team makes the playoffs and thus not make any high-impact decisions that could threaten them from qualifying for the postseason?

I think the presser can be summed up with this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 05:10 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Odds that Justin Williams ends up in Pittsburgh?
My $$ is on Philly. Apparently still has a place outside of Atlantic City

hb11xchamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 05:29 PM
Dr John Carlson
Light is all over us

vCash: 50
Zzzz.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote