Notices

Chevy Speaks [open to dealing pick, still assessing goaltending]

Old
05-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Chevy Speaks [open to dealing pick, still assessing goaltending]

Cheveldayoff open to dealing pick, still assessing goaltending

Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff chats with Pierre LeBrun to reflect on his tenure with the Jets since he took over as GM, how the team has to shift their plans after dropping in the draft lottery, whether their first-round pick could be shopped, the team's goaltending options and more.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/chevelda...ending~1135114

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Aavco Cup

Doesn't sound like he's about to trade Mr Trouba

Old
05-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Cheveldayoff open to dealing pick, still assessing goaltending

Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff chats with Pierre LeBrun to reflect on his tenure with the Jets since he took over as GM, how the team has to shift their plans after dropping in the draft lottery, whether their first-round pick could be shopped, the team's goaltending options and more.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/chevelda...ending~1135114
His plans changed after dropping 1 spot in the lotto? Wow never knew 12 to 13 was such a drastic change.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2017, 11:42 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
His plans changed after dropping 1 spot in the lotto? Wow never knew 12 to 13 was such a drastic change.
That was a pretty weird question to ask no?

Old
05-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
That was a pretty weird question to ask no?
Yeah not sure where he was trying to go with that one.

Old
05-29-2017, 11:56 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

My take away. Nothing will happen with goaltending this off season, Trouba talks are on going, looks like we are likely keeping our pick, Mo is most definitely getting extended, Chevy thinks Poolman is ready for the NHL.

Old
05-30-2017, 12:01 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
My take away. Nothing will happen with goaltending this off season, Trouba talks are on going, looks like we are likely keeping our pick, Mo is most definitely getting extended, Chevy thinks Poolman is ready for the NHL.
I didn't get the same vibe with regards to goaltending. He said he'd look at all options available to him. Plus he didn't anoint Helle the starter ala Pavs a few years ago, that must count for something:p.

Not a bad interview, it looks like the org is entering the next phase if you where to read between the lines with regards to the kids becoming drivers.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 12:07 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I didn't get the same vibe with regards to goaltending. He said he'd look at all options available to him. Plus he didn't anoint Helle the starter ala Pavs a few years ago, that must count for something:p.

Not a bad interview, it looks like the org is entering the next phase if you where to read between the lines with regards to the kids becoming drivers.
It's just the way he lead with Helle playing well and getting experience. Then goes into that they will look at all options presented to them. Makes me think they still want to give Helle a chance.

Old
05-30-2017, 12:15 AM
Aavco Cup

I didn't expect them to give up on Hellebuyck

Old
05-30-2017, 12:17 AM
WPGChief
Rookie User

@3:30ish:
"Not getting Ehlers, not getting Laine, those in their entry level deals..."
"If you have the assets to use them... there truly has to be a fit..."

Basically, don't come calling looking for the forwards the Jets have drafted. Throw out all your theories about getting young defensive prospects.

@7:00ish
If Tyler Myers is still injured or gets injured, Poolman will be taking his spot. (see ya Postma)

@10:00ish
"Once I get my extension, so too will Maurice"

WPGChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:02 AM
10Ducky10

Sounds to me like Chevy is looking to trade the 13th.
Also sounds like he is looking at getting a goalie.
He also mentions the opportunities the XD brings.
Get busy and shut up your critics Chevy.

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 01:27 AM
Whileee

I think Chevy should consider trading down and either picking up extra picks or pick up a prospect. I'm not sure a pure trade of the #13 makes sense, unless it's for a 23 or younger player that fits with our young core.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:06 AM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Can someone please post an alternate non-TSN link or the audio someplace else? TSN's stuff is not available outside of Canada.

JetsFan815 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:06 AM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

"(Hellebuyck) finished I think fifteenth in the league in wins with 26, he had four shutouts, I think tenth, so his numbers for a young goaltender are very good."

Translation: "Winz!! Shutoutz!! Yay!!"

Guess Chevy doesn't believe in save percentage as a way to assess goalies. No surprise after the Pavelec years. Don't hold your breath waiting for an effective fix.

On the bright side, there were many sentences where he didn't say "again" or "certainly," so at least one area of his job shows some improvement.

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:30 AM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Can someone please post an alternate non-TSN link or the audio someplace else? TSN's stuff is not available outside of Canada.
Nevermind, figured out a way to listen to it. Nothing too surprising there, the only thing that sounded odd to me was that I would have expected him to be more unequivocal about getting a goalie this summer, in the interview he basically said "We'll look at all options and see what's available to us but what's available to us is a bit nebulous". Maybe just underpromising to overdeliver but something to keep an eye on. We definitely need to come out of the summer with atleast a 1B for Helly.

Quote:
My take away. Nothing will happen with goaltending this off season
Generally a safe bet to make about the Jets

JetsFan815 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 02:55 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Nevermind, figured out a way to listen to it. Nothing too surprising there, the only thing that sounded odd to me was that I would have expected him to be more unequivocal about getting a goalie this summer, in the interview he basically said "We'll look at all options and see what's available to us but what's available to us is a bit nebulous". Maybe just underpromising to overdeliver but something to keep an eye on. We definitely need to come out of the summer with atleast a 1B for Helly.

So, he should have said something like "we are desperate to find another goaltender, and we'll be making that a priority". That should really improve his negotiating stance with other GMs.

Honestly, I'm really unclear why people think that it's a good idea for the GM to outline all of his priorities and strategies for trade negotiations publicly. I like a GM that is tight-lipped about his priorities and plans much more than blabbermouths.

Old
05-30-2017, 03:01 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Bard View Post
"(Hellebuyck) finished I think fifteenth in the league in wins with 26, he had four shutouts, I think tenth, so his numbers for a young goaltender are very good."

Translation: "Winz!! Shutoutz!! Yay!!"

Guess Chevy doesn't believe in save percentage as a way to assess goalies. No surprise after the Pavelec years. Don't hold your breath waiting for an effective fix.

On the bright side, there were many sentences where he didn't say "again" or "certainly," so at least one area of his job shows some improvement.
I like stats, but relying entirely on averages is simplistic.

The issue for Hellebuyck was consistency, which is an issue for young goalies. I think the implication was that he showed he has good capability as a young goalie, but needs to improve consistency.

Old
05-30-2017, 03:04 AM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
So, he should have said something like "we are desperate to find another goaltender, and we'll be making that a priority". That should really improve his negotiating stance with other GMs.

Honestly, I'm really unclear why people think that it's a good idea for the GM to outline all of his priorities and strategies for trade negotiations publicly. I like a GM that is tight-lipped about his priorities and plans much more than blabbermouths.
Some people just don't understand how these things work tbh.

And of course he's only going to say positive things about Helle. He's a young goaltender that they still plan on having as their #1 one day. I don't see why people think he can't say good things about Helle and then go out and get another goaltender to help him out anyways.

Moany people just want to automatically think negative and will constantly twist everything they hear so that it appears that way. "How dare Chevy say anything good about his goaltender at all, doesn't he know helle is s***? this obviously means he's not getting any goaltending help."

Festinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 03:21 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Quote:

Chevy is the master of talking a lot without actually deriving anything meaningful out of his sound bites. "Look at all options and see what's available to us, but what's available is a bit nebulous." is such an empty phrase that he could have blew a raspberry for the entire bit and have it amount to the same thing.

CorgisPer60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:01 AM
Jimby
Reformed Optimist

vCash: 168
When talking about how proud is is of the drafted players for following through on what they said they would do, Chevy also gives some insight into why they drafted the players they have. Seems the Jets may ask the right questions to players during the interview process, listen carefully to the answers, and consider the character of players a top priority when making their picks. Helps explain why they maybe disagreed with HF Jets on the Stanley pick.

Jimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:06 AM
Jimby
Reformed Optimist

vCash: 168
Chevy hinted that HF Jets may disagree with his next pick as well when he talks about selecting a player for a specific need rather than the BPA.

Jimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:10 AM
surixon

People are reading too much into the positive comments on Helle. It wasn't too long ago both Maurice and him where openly critical of it. He probably doesn't see the need to pile on especially when it looks like Helle has taken it upon himself to go out and try a new means to improve. Of course Chevy isn't going to directly say he's going to bring in a goalie.

He essentially said he's open to trading the pick or other forward pieces as long as the right fit is there. I'm not sure how that is a bad thing.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I like stats, but relying entirely on averages is simplistic.

The issue for Hellebuyck was consistency, which is an issue for young goalies. I think the implication was that he showed he has good capability as a young goalie, but needs to improve consistency.
Chevy's the one who brought up numbers, tell him, but as long as he's quoting numbers he should try some that are meaningful. Or was he taking the balanced and nuanced approach with goaltending, like all the Pavelec years?

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Hunter368
Canada

Say nothing, commit to nothing, promise nothing.......can't be held accountable for anything (or at least less). Typical cover your own butt interview.

Hunter368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:17 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
I know he's just blowing smoke up the media's and fan's collective *****...

But if he really "still assessing" our goaltending right now, I'm scared.

I can tell you where it is, but it would just be a series of asterisks on this forum.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote