Notices

Chevy Speaks [open to dealing pick, still assessing goaltending]

Old
05-30-2017, 07:20 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
I know he's just blowing smoke up the media's and fan's collective *****...

But if he really "still assessing" our goaltending right now, I'm scared.

I can tell you where it is, but it would just be a series of asterisks on this forum.
What would you expect him to be doing. He said he was assessing all options available to him. Is that not to prudent move to ensure that he brings the right one in.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:25 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
What would you expect him to be doing. He said he was assessing all options available to him. Is that not to prudent move to ensure that he brings the right one in.
If he's being honest?

"We obviously need short-term help at the goaltender position, and we will be pursuing every option through either Free Agency or Trade. Goaltending has been sub-par to terrible throughout my entire tenure here, and I want to ensure that will cease to be true next season."

And I know he can't say that, but he better be at least thinking that.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:29 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
When he says what available seems a bit nebulous I think he reffering to the fact that goalies have been flying off the shelves and what is left is about as clear of a starter as Helle is at this point. He can't do much with expansion looming. To me this says we'll see what happens after expansion. I'm not expecting we get anything done.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:30 AM
ffh

the only thing he said that scared me was that myers was still rehabbing his injury and that they were crossing their fingers that he could get back to being a top 4 dman.

ffh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:35 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
the only thing he said that scared me was that myers was still rehabbing his injury and that they were crossing their fingers that he could get back to being a top 4 dman.
Yeah that was worrisome. I wonder if that might meblan he's exposed at the draft if he's still not making much progress.

Old
05-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Yeah that was worrisome. I wonder if that might meblan he's exposed at the draft if he's still not making much progress.
Could be the smarter move. Make sure Vegas knows there is a risk there too. They likely stay away from him allowing us to keep one more guy.

Last edited by Daximus: 05-30-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old
05-30-2017, 07:52 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Could be the smarter move. Make sure Vegas knows there is a risk there too. They likely stay away from him allowing us to keep one more guyml.
Yup if he's damaged goods why risk one of our higher end young forwards.

Old
05-30-2017, 07:52 AM
scarbrow21

Quote:
gamesmanship is my guess. These interviews are more about what he wants people to hear, rather than what he's thinking.

Could clearly be him working a side deal with Vegas in that, hey we have Myers who's injured but we care about him and his family and want to keep him. But we also like Lowry and Armia and want them too. If we leave Myers exposed and give some picks would you take "X" who's also exposed?

scarbrow21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:55 AM
HannuJ

Quote:
I know he's just blowing smoke up the media's and fan's collective *****...

But if he really "still assessing" our goaltending right now, I'm scared.

I can tell you where it is, but it would just be a series of asterisks on this forum.
how you and other posters believe that Chevy will truly disclose his plans is beyond my understanding.

no GM lays out plans, such as goaltending upgrades, out on the table so 30 other GMs or 100 agents can try to squeeze the most out of them during trade of UFA negotiations.

you guys act like all GMs always put the writing on the wall and we, as fans, should be able to read their tea leaves with ease and come to leaping conclusions.

sometimes you just have to "whatever will be, will be" it in the offseason. we know what the targets should be. time will tell if management agrees. but don't take an interview and think that's the franchise's gospel. it never, ever, ever is unless you're a dumb-as-bricks GM

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:57 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbrow21 View Post
gamesmanship is my guess. These interviews are more about what he wants people to hear, rather than what he's thinking.

Could clearly be him working a side deal with Vegas in that, hey we have Myers who's injured but we care about him and his family and want to keep him. But we also like Lowry and Armia and want them too. If we leave Myers exposed and give some picks would you take "X" who's also exposed?
I'm sure there is some of that but all Vegas has to do is check his medical records and I would imagine they would have access to those records for any players they would be eligible to select.

Old
05-30-2017, 07:57 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
how you and other posters believe that Chevy will truly disclose his plans is beyond my understanding.

no GM lays out plans, such as goaltending upgrades, out on the table so 30 other GMs or 100 agents can try to squeeze the most out of them during trade of UFA negotiations.

you guys act like all GMs always put the writing on the wall and we, as fans, should be able to read their tea leaves with ease and come to leaping conclusions.

sometimes you just have to "whatever will be, will be" it in the offseason. we know what the targets should be. time will tell if management agrees. but don't take an interview and think that's the franchise's gospel. it never, ever, ever is unless you're a dumb-as-bricks GM
Did you even read my post?

Quote:
"I know he's just blowing smoke up the media's and fan's collective *****"
I think Chevy's history of inaction (and team record) is enough for me to be frustrated with management, and take a closer look at everything he says.

What the rhetoric from Chevy is telling me:

"I'm safe in my job for at least 3-4 more years."

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 08:40 AM
MardyBum

Can we close up the trade Ehlers thread now ?

Not a bad interview, I wouldnt mind at all trading down or trading the pick if it's bringing back a young defenseman.

I still think we'll be bringing in a goalie, but as more of a backup to Helle than a guy to play a ton of minutes, and let play dictate as the season goes on.

MardyBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardyBum View Post
Can we close up the trade Ehlers thread now ?

Not a bad interview, I wouldnt mind at all trading down or trading the pick if it's bringing back a young defenseman.

I still think we'll be bringing in a goalie, but as more of a backup to Helle than a guy to play a ton of minutes, and let play dictate as the season goes on.
Does anyone remember the last time an early middle 1st round pick brought back a young defencemen? I have a feeling that one is a bit of a pipe dream. Dougie Hamilton was traded for the 15th in 2015 and two 2nd rounders in a pretty deep draft. We likely need to give up a B prospect to make that happen and even then we have to find a team with a young guy to move. Would the Canes take 13th and Petan for Hanifin? Somehow I doubt even that is enough. Columbus may take the 13th and Petan for Murray. Hard to say.

Old
05-30-2017, 09:02 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

LeBrun: Is Trouba a happy Jet?
Chevy (note the shaking of his head from side to side, subconsciously sending the message NO): He played fantastic for us.

That's on a par with...

Wife: Do you love me?
Husband: You look great in that dress.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Chevy hinted that HF Jets may disagree with his next pick as well when he talks about selecting a player for a specific need rather than the BPA.
I wasn't able to listen to the whole thing, do you remember where that was?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter368 View Post
Say nothing, commit to nothing, promise nothing.......can't be held accountable for anything (or at least less). Typical cover your own butt interview.
I'm willing to bet that his conversations with Chipman, Maurice, etc. are more specific and informative than his chats with the media.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
I'm sure there is some of that but all Vegas has to do is check his medical records and I would imagine they would have access to those records for any players they would be eligible to select.
I have not heard this anywhere. I'm not so sure they will have access to medical records of hundreds of players available.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
It's just the way he lead with Helle playing well and getting experience. Then goes into that they will look at all options presented to them. Makes me think they still want to give Helle a chance.
And why wouldn't helle get a chance?
Helle getting a chance does not mean they aren't going to so something about goal tending

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post

Maybe Chevy should start a blog where he shares all of his ideas for trades, his honest opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of his players, the value he places on other team's players, what his draft strategy is, etc. Some fans would love it (so would 30 NHL GMs).

Old
05-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Maybe Chevy should start a blog where he shares all of his ideas for trades, his honest opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of his players, the value he places on other team's players, what his draft strategy is, etc. Some fans would love it (so would 30 NHL GMs).
I think the frustration is that not only does he say nothing, but he doesn't do much either

Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:26 AM
McDLT
ShamWow Inventor

What I got out of the interview:

1)Trouba wants out
2)Chevy doesn't plan on upgrading goaltending or LHD through trade/free agency.
3)Ehlers wont be traded

McDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:27 AM
scarbrow21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
I have not heard this anywhere. I'm not so sure they will have access to medical records of hundreds of players available.
Vegas will not have access to team medical records which is why the league came out with the list of players that do not require protection FOR medical reasons. Players medical records are private information and Vegas does not have access to them

scarbrow21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:28 AM
McDLT
ShamWow Inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
LeBrun: Is Trouba a happy Jet?
Chevy (note the shaking of his head from side to side, subconsciously sending the message NO): He played fantastic for us.

That's on a par with...

Wife: Do you love me?
Husband: You look great in that dress.
100% agree

McDLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:28 AM
GoJetsGo55

vCash: 109
Quote:
If he's being honest?

"We obviously need short-term help at the goaltender position, and we will be pursuing every option through either Free Agency or Trade. Goaltending has been sub-par to terrible throughout my entire tenure here, and I want to ensure that will cease to be true next season."

And I know he can't say that, but he better be at least thinking that.
Page 1 in the "How to be a great GM" book surely states that ******** all over current and former players simply to appease forum posters is a great move.

GoJetsGo55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
I think the frustration is that not only does he say nothing, but he doesn't do much either
Jets have 5 players left on the roster from the team that arrived in 2011 (Little, Wheeler, Buff, Enstrom, Stuart). The Jets have only a couple of prospects left in their system that were inherited in 2011.

How did Chevy replace most of the NHL roster and replenish the entire prospect pipeline by doing nothing?