HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2017, 09:43 AM
  #51
Tyler2829
Registered User
 
Tyler2829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
I protect Ullmark. I do not want to pay 4 million a year for 4 years for Lehner when still not sure what we have with him. There are a lot of goalies in and around his skill set that will be available and likely cheaper. Protect ROR,Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Foligno, Carriere, and Larsson. Protect Risto, McCabe and Falk. Now Vegas will have to take money off our payroll if I have this figured right--and someone will tell me if I am wrong!
Or maybe Vegas signs Kulikov during their FA window. Then we're stuck with all the bad contracts.

Tyler2829 is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 09:59 AM
  #52
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,626
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The Sabres goaltending depth is shallow right now.

If they were to lose both Petersen and Ullmark, that would pretty much just leave them with Kasdorf and Johansson in the pipeline and that is it.

Although, that wouldn't be the worst situation in the world to recover from.

Step 1 would be to draft a goalie or two in the 2017 Draft after not taking a goalie in 2016 or 2015.

Step 2 would be signing both a backup for Lehner and a vet for Rochester to push Kasdorf and Johansson and make them earn playing time. Also, that would provide depth in the event that a goalie in Buffalo goes down.
I would add "mine the European professional ranks," as well.

Even if Ullmark is not selected by Vegas, I think Botterill will bring in a vet goaltender on a one-year deal (Condon?). If Ullmark beats him out for the backup spot, great, and they'll move the vet backup for a late pick like Pittsburgh did this season with Condon. More likely, Ullmark gets another full season in Rochester to show what he's made of behind what should be a much-improved club.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:03 AM
  #53
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I would add "mine the European professional ranks," as well.

Even if Ullmark is not selected by Vegas, I think Botterill will bring in a vet goaltender on a one-year deal (Condon?). If Ullmark beats him out for the backup spot, great, and they'll move the vet backup for a late pick like Pittsburgh did this season with Condon. More likely, Ullmark gets another full season in Rochester to show what he's made of behind what should be a much-improved club.
FA from either the NCAA, CHL, or Europe is always an area to look, as well.

Budaj and Condon could be a fit. Chad Johnson or re-signing Nilsson could be interesting.

And from a pure AHL depth perspective, Mike McKenna might be a good fit to give the kids a mentor.

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:16 AM
  #54
HeartforReinheart
Registered User
 
HeartforReinheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Frankfurt
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 861
Give Lehner a 1 year deal and tell Cal Peterson he is the future. See if he signs. I wouldn't be against trading Lehner perhaps to Las Vegas? Not sure we would get the value back or what Kind of Goalies will be available to LV.

HeartforReinheart is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:24 AM
  #55
MurrayForPrez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
What are the odds that Peters or Rivet ask Baker if he has any sort of feeling on the Estephan or Petersen situations?

Bakes is on The Instigators at the moment.

MurrayForPrez is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:33 AM
  #56
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayForPrez View Post
What are the odds that Peters or Rivet ask Baker if he has any sort of feeling on the Estephan or Petersen situations?

Bakes is on The Instigators at the moment.
If you tweet at them, they will.

edit... and have Peters call you pushy on the air.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Last edited by Chainshot: 05-31-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Chainshot is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:45 AM
  #57
MurrayForPrez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If you tweet at them, they will.

edit... and have Peters call you pushy on the air.
Welp - let's not hold our breath...

Not that Bakes is exactly an "insider" but he didn't exactly sound confident about either guy signing. He pretty much thinks that Petersen is as good as gone.

MurrayForPrez is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:50 AM
  #58
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayForPrez View Post
Welp - let's not hold our breath...

Not that Bakes is exactly an "insider" but he didn't exactly sound confident about either guy signing. He pretty much thinks that Petersen is as good as gone.
He talks to a lot of people in and around the different programs. Sounds like the Chicago angle is there.

Interesting bit on Malone. If he can stay healthy, he has that sort of jam missing from much of the current lineup.

As a followup, I tweeted at them about Hurley's off-ice departure from Notre Dame.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 10:59 AM
  #59
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
So this interview? What is the "Chicago angle"? Does that mean Petersen wants to play for the dying Blackhawks?

Sabre the Win is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:03 AM
  #60
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
So this interview? What is the "Chicago angle"? Does that mean Petersen wants to play for the dying Blackhawks?
Yes, he spent time in Chicago playing when he was in high school.

He must like the city.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ca...e-dame-hockey/

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:05 AM
  #61
Ace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Said buffalo did everything right with him since they drafted him but thinks he will bolt to chicago anyway.

Which is what some of us have been saying since he went back this year.

Ace is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:05 AM
  #62
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Yes, he spent time in Chicago playing when he was in high school.

He must like the city.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ca...e-dame-hockey/
I am getting sick of college NCAA players.

We absolutely need Ullmark now, maybe we can make some kind of trade with Blackhawks for Petersons rights like we did with Vesey and Nashville.

Sabre the Win is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:18 AM
  #63
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,626
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartforReinheart View Post
Give Lehner a 1 year deal and tell Cal Peterson he is the future. See if he signs. I wouldn't be against trading Lehner perhaps to Las Vegas? Not sure we would get the value back or what Kind of Goalies will be available to LV.
And how do you go about making Lehner sign said 1-year contract that he'll have absolutely no intention of agreeing to?

Zip15 is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:24 AM
  #64
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 25,459
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
I am getting sick of college NCAA players.

We absolutely need Ullmark now, maybe we can make some kind of trade with Blackhawks for Petersons rights like we did with Vesey and Nashville.
We already have one young NHL goalie. As much as it would suck to lose both Ullmark and Petersen it isn't as if we can't just get a back-up goalie to pair with Lehner. There is plenty of time to do something else for the future.

Paxon is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:27 AM
  #65
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,626
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He talks to a lot of people in and around the different programs. Sounds like the Chicago angle is there.

Interesting bit on Malone. If he can stay healthy, he has that sort of jam missing from much of the current lineup.

As a followup, I tweeted at them about Hurley's off-ice departure from Notre Dame.
Perhaps it's a bit vindictive, but if Chicago does sign Petersen, I'd like to see Buffalo punch back at the Blackhawks next offseason with an offer sheet to Hartman or TvR (if he's still there). Between Bowman going to see Vesey in the summer league last year while we held his rights, and the rumor that they were one of the teams trying to poach Antipin after the Sabres fired Murray, **** those guys. And I'm tired of his colleagues bailing out Bowman and the Hawks - save Doug Wilson - by taking on their bad contracts and not offer-sheeting their players.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:33 AM
  #66
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 15,293
vCash: 500
Again, there was zero reason for a player who was repeatedly healthy scratched down the stretch and in the playoffs to eagerly sign on given their cap and roster situation.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 11:57 AM
  #67
sabrebuild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Perhaps it's a bit vindictive, but if Chicago does sign Petersen, I'd like to see Buffalo punch back at the Blackhawks next offseason with an offer sheet to Hartman or TvR (if he's still there). Between Bowman going to see Vesey in the summer league last year while we held his rights, and the rumor that they were one of the teams trying to poach Antipin after the Sabres fired Murray, **** those guys. And I'm tired of his colleagues bailing out Bowman and the Hawks - save Doug Wilson - by taking on their bad contracts and not offer-sheeting their players.
Yup.

sabrebuild is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:12 PM
  #68
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 66,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Perhaps it's a bit vindictive, but if Chicago does sign Petersen, I'd like to see Buffalo punch back at the Blackhawks next offseason with an offer sheet to Hartman or TvR (if he's still there). Between Bowman going to see Vesey in the summer league last year while we held his rights, and the rumor that they were one of the teams trying to poach Antipin after the Sabres fired Murray, **** those guys. And I'm tired of his colleagues bailing out Bowman and the Hawks - save Doug Wilson - by taking on their bad contracts and not offer-sheeting their players.
Not vindictive at all. I've thought they should go after Kempny too. Take advantage of the fact they've put themselves over a barrel.

And I hate Bowman for being a Bowman. Scotty can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:14 PM
  #69
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not vindictive at all. I've thought they should go after Kempny too. Take advantage of the fact they've put themselves over a barrel.

And I hate Bowman for being a Bowman. Scotty can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31/...pansion-draft/

Quote:
According to TSN’s Frank Seravalli, the ‘Hawks may “allow” the Vegas Golden Knights to select defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk in the draft, as long as the Knights also take forward Marcus Kruger in a trade.

The ‘Hawks cannot reasonably protect van Riemsdyk anyway, what with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjalmarsson requiring protection. But the ‘Hawks could try to trade van Riemsdyk to a team that could protect him, assuming they could find one.

Kruger is signed for two more years at a cap hit just north of $3 million. The 27-year-old forward has a good defensive reputation, but his offensive upside is limited.
Apparently Vegas might be helping them out this offseason...

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:26 PM
  #70
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 50
if the sabres were to take on kari lehtonen's contract for 1 year, what else would dallas need to swap 1sts with buffalo?

boots electric is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:27 PM
  #71
HeartforReinheart
Registered User
 
HeartforReinheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Frankfurt
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
And how do you go about making Lehner sign said 1-year contract that he'll have absolutely no intention of agreeing to?
He doesn't have a choice. What will he do sit out for the year? Come on, what kind of leverage do you think this guy has? We have his rights for 2 years.

HeartforReinheart is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
  #72
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartforReinheart View Post
He doesn't have a choice. What will he do sit out for the year? Come on.
That is not how the real world works.

Duddy is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
  #73
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
if the sabres were to take on kari lehtonen's contract for 1 year, what else would dallas need to swap 1sts with buffalo?
I think we'd have to add in that scenario. Jumping from 8th to 3rd in one shot doesn't just cost Lehtonen's cap hit.

Reddawg is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:31 PM
  #74
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I think we'd have to add in that scenario. Jumping from 8th to 3rd in one shot doesn't just cost Lehtonen's cap hit.
i know we would have to add. i'm asking what, in addition to lehtonen's contract, would buffalo have to add.

boots electric is offline  
Old
05-31-2017, 12:33 PM
  #75
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
i know we would have to add. i'm asking what, in addition to lehtonen's contract, would buffalo have to add.
I misunderstood your post. No real idea what they would want from us to move up to 3rd overall, but it's interesting. They would probably want too much to make it happen.

Reddawg is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.