HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2017, 09:24 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Foligno does fit the Steve Bernier trade role rather well.

He's also been out there as a "guy we like for a guy you like" candidate for a minute.

Old
06-01-2017, 06:44 AM
makeitburn
PUCKGASM

I'd be sad to see him go, but given that he will likely be replaceable within the next few years anyway, if the return is a player I won't complain about it.

Old
06-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Dreakon13

I feel like we have bigger fish to fry, then to move one of our few decent remaining bottom 6 guys. As long as he doesn't cost much to re-sign. I'd keep Foligno and Larsson together on our 3rd or 4th line (wherever they may fall depending on Reinharts usage) and either give Gionta another year or promote Bailey/Fasching to the RW role on that line.

EDIT: Not to mention losing Foligno (and hopefully launching Deslauriers into the sun) would basically get rid of any sandpaper this team has up front. It'd basically just be Kane?

Last edited by Dreakon13: 06-01-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old
06-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...hkin-right-now

Quote:
Another to put in the would-he-go camp is Buffalo. Now, traditionally, thatís no-trade clause central. But the Sabres have two amazing centers in Ryan OíReilly and Jack Eichel, so Ovechkin would have a great running mate, while being assured that the offense was not his burden alone. In return, Washington would get Evander Kane (still young, always controversial, hopefully the Caps are OK with the latter part), prospect Rasmus Asplund and a second-round pick in 2019, conditional on Kane re-signing with the Caps once his deal is done in 2018.

Old
06-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

If that's all it takes to get ovi, done

Old
06-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push Dr Tracksuit View Post
If that's all it takes to get ovi, done
Seriously. There's no way Washington flips their superstar captain for Evander and Asplund. And a "maybe" pick.

Old
06-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Top Pair Imposter
False Defenseman

vCash: 50
Ovechkin is certainly past his peak but lol at Washington trading him for relative scraps.

Old
06-01-2017, 08:51 AM
cybresabre
turning timber

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Scraps? I've heard the 2019 2nd round is pretty good. Make it 2020 and I'd consider it.

Old
06-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Pair Imposter View Post
Ovechkin is certainly past his peak but lol at Washington trading him for relative scraps.
If they don't have to retain any of his contract, I can't see them getting a lot for him.

He has 4 years left at over $9.5M per against the cap.

Welcome to cap jail if the Sabres add that contract.

Old
06-01-2017, 02:40 PM
sabres81

So a funny thing just happened. Evander Kane was doing a livestream on Instagram and was taking questions and I asked "Why are you a negative corsi player" and he responded with something along the lines of. "I don't really even know what corsi is. I don't pay any attention to it. Maybe I'll look into it." Just gave me a laugh.

Old
06-01-2017, 03:48 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I've never been a huge Ovi fan but if that was it to aquire him, I'd do it and figure the cap out later.

Him riding shotgun to Eichel COULD be amazing.

But instantly you're all in, no more rebuild, you'd have to trade futures for defense because you better be competing for the Cup immediately.

So Ennis to Vegas, Kane to Washington covers his cap hit for next year and gives a framework of...

Carrier ... ROR .... OK
Ovi ... Eichel .... Girgensons
Xxxx .... Reinhart ... Xxxx
Foligno .... Larson .... Molson

Des. ... Baptise. ... Bailey .... Nylander .... Fasching

At least they'd be fun to watch.....

Old
06-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Dreakon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I've never been a huge Ovi fan but if that was it to aquire him, I'd do it and figure the cap out later.

Him riding shotgun to Eichel COULD be amazing.

But instantly you're all in, no more rebuild, you'd have to trade futures for defense because you better be competing for the Cup immediately.

So Ennis to Vegas, Kane to Washington covers his cap hit for next year and gives a framework of...

Carrier ... ROR .... OK
Ovi ... Eichel .... Girgensons
Xxxx .... Reinhart ... Xxxx
Foligno .... Larson .... Molson

Des. ... Baptise. ... Bailey .... Nylander .... Fasching

At least they'd be fun to watch.....
Ovechkin - Eichel - Girgensons
Carrier - ROR - Okposo
Moulson - Reinhart - Baptiste
Foligno - Larsson - Bailey/Fasching

There's something unsettling about having that much talent and still not being convinced they'd go anywhere.

Old
06-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

So we are out Peterson, Hurley and Estephan now?

Old
06-01-2017, 04:41 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
Right now, just Estephan and Possler. Petersen is in a relatively ambiguous situation as he might still be able to sign a contract today, even after 5 pm, but if he doesn't then he's going to become a free agent on the 30th. Hurley's still in college.

Old
06-01-2017, 04:48 PM
TheStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
I'm pretty sure yes with Estaphan and Peterson. Don't know much about Hurley.

Old
06-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Undo the Accelerated Rebuild

Undo the acceleration idea. Not tied to it, just throwing it out to the board to get thoughts. I used the trade gadget on draft wired to judge some of the trades.

Calgary: on the trade board, a Calgary fan posted the idea of trading 16OA for a goalie. Taking GMJB's statement on Lehner into account, Lehner for 16OA?
Boston/Edmonton/Montreal: Kane for a first.
Dallas: Looking to dump Niemi.

Expansion Draft and Entry Draft trades:
- Buffalo trades LW Brandon Hagel to Vegas for future considerations (not selecting G Linus Ullmark)
- Buffalo trades 8OA and 55OA to Vegas for 6OA. Buffalo selects RHD Cale Makar.
- Buffalo trades G Robin Lehner and RHD Will Borgen to Calgary for 16OA. Buffalo then trades 16OA and 37OA to Detroit for 9OA. Buffalo selects LHD Jusso Valimaki.
- Buffalo trades LW Evander Kane to Edmonton for 22OA. Buffalo selects C/LW/RW Lias Andersson.
- Buffalo trades 89OA to Dallas for G Antti Niemi and 39OA. Buffalo selects C Joni Ikonen.

Buffalo Draft:
6OA: RHD Cale Makar
9OA: LHD Jusso Valimaki
22OA: F Lias Andersson
39OA: F Joni Ikonen
68OA: RHD Luke Martin

Free Agency:
- Sign LHD Brendan Smith
- Sign RW Justin Williams
- Sign RW Brian Gionta
- Sign G Chad Johnson

Opening Night:
Girgensons - Eichel - Williams
Carrier - O'Reilly - Okposo
Moulson/Ennis - Reinhart - Rodriguez
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

McCabe - Ristolainen
Smith - Bogosian
Hainsey - Antipin
Gorges

Niemi
Johnson

Reasoning: The defense isn't helped in the short-term as much as expected. But Smith is a top 4 defender, and if Antipin works out, he could displace Bogosian. Also, the forwards aren't bolstered tremendously. And goal is downgraded, even if just for a season. However, this lineup could work with a possession, up-tempo system.

The benefit is in stocking the pipeline. Makar, Valimaki, and Martin re-stock the defense. Andersson is the type of forward you want on your team in May and June. Plus, he can play all three positions. Ikonen is also center/wing versatile, and has some of the same upside as Asplund. Rochester keeps the young forwards and adds in Guhle.

Very much a future-based off-season. Thoughts?

Old
06-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Sabre the Win
ROR 2 LW Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Undo the acceleration idea. Not tied to it, just throwing it out to the board to get thoughts. I used the trade gadget on draft wired to judge some of the trades.

Calgary: on the trade board, a Calgary fan posted the idea of trading 16OA for a goalie. Taking GMJB's statement on Lehner into account, Lehner for 16OA?

- Buffalo trades LW Brandon Hagel to Vegas for future considerations (not selecting G Linus Ullmark)
- Buffalo trades G Robin Lehner and RHD Will Borgen to Calgary for 16OA. Buffalo then trades 16OA and 37OA to Detroit for 9OA. Buffalo selects LHD Jusso Valimaki.
- Buffalo trades LW Evander Kane to Edmonton for 22OA. Buffalo selects C/LW/RW Lias Andersson.
- Buffalo trades 89OA to Dallas for G Antti Niemi and 39OA. Buffalo selects C Joni Ikonen.

Buffalo Draft:

Free Agency:
- Sign LHD Brendan Smith
- Sign RW Brian Gionta
- Sign G Chad Johnson

Opening Night:

McCabe - Ristolainen
Smith - Bogosian
Hainsey - Antipin
Gorges

Niemi
Johnson

Reasoning: The defense isn't helped in the short-term as much as expected. But Smith is a top 4 defender, and if Antipin works out, he could displace Bogosian. Also, the forwards aren't bolstered tremendously. And goal is downgraded, even if just for a season. However, this lineup could work with a possession, up-tempo system.

The benefit is in stocking the pipeline. Makar, Valimaki, and Martin re-stock the defense. Andersson is the type of forward you want on your team in May and June. Plus, he can play all three positions. Ikonen is also center/wing versatile, and has some of the same upside as Asplund. Rochester keeps the young forwards and adds in Guhle.

I've been against speeding up our rebuild. This desperation for fixing our defense immediately this season is because people feel we need to win now. I don't care if we waste ROR, Kane or Okposo prime age. Let them be placeholders and insulation while we build our core and continue to build through the draft. We literally completely teared everything down and we we're trying to get younger while building thru the draft but we have since added older players on big contracts while shipping out our young players we rebuilt for. We already had that before we started to rebuild, now we have all this emotion every off season and people feeling its all in now or bust.

I got jumped on tho when I suggest Murray accelerated the rebuild and I hate him for that.

Last edited by Sabre the Win: 06-01-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old
06-01-2017, 06:18 PM
BiPolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Right now, just Estephan and Possler. Petersen is in a relatively ambiguous situation as he might still be able to sign a contract today, even after 5 pm, but if he doesn't then he's going to become a free agent on the 30th. Hurley's still in college.
Didn't Hurley leave Notre Dame's hockey team? Yeah I looked it up, left in February for 'undisclosed personal issues', never returned.

He's a bust so doesn't matter what our situation is with his rights.

Old
06-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
Didn't Hurley leave Notre Dame's hockey team? Yeah I looked it up, left in February for 'undisclosed personal issues', never returned.

He's a bust so doesn't matter what our situation is with his rights.
Per Jackson, ND's coach, he's part of the team and practicing but not playing. What I'd love to know is why.

06-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Eram

Quote:

Buffalo Draft:

Free Agency:
- Sign LHD Brendan Smith
- Sign RW Brian Gionta
- Sign G Chad Johnson

Opening Night:

McCabe - Ristolainen
Smith - Bogosian
Hainsey - Antipin
Gorges

Niemi
Johnson

Neimi was pretty much the worst NHL goalie this year and shouldn't even be in the league next year.

Old
06-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So looking around at rosters where teams are hard up on the cap... Vladimir Sobotka anyone?

Old
06-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So looking around at rosters where teams are hard up on the cap... Vladimir Sobotka anyone?
You called?

Old
06-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Doug Prishpreed

Quote:

Buffalo Draft:

Free Agency:
- Sign LHD Brendan Smith
- Sign RW Brian Gionta
- Sign G Chad Johnson

Opening Night:

McCabe - Ristolainen
Smith - Bogosian
Hainsey - Antipin
Gorges

Niemi
Johnson

This is a lot of work for such a small difference in terms of overall impact to the team. Not against any of the moves individually except the Niemi move, but I don't see this moving the needle in either the short term or long term. Points for being realistic, but I guess realistic isn't all that exciting. We're kind of stuck in a rut with all this dead weight.

If Vegas takes Ennis because of the favor owed, we get a first for Kane, and we sign Smith, I'd be just as happy. We still stock up our D pipeline and clear some cap space to give us freedom as the season goes on.

Old
06-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eram View Post
Neimi was pretty much the worst NHL goalie this year and shouldn't even be in the league next year.
If he gets the Sabres a pick, he's a one year contract, and I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Prishpreed View Post
This is a lot of work for such a small difference in terms of overall impact to the team. Not against any of the moves individually except the Niemi move, but I don't see this moving the needle in either the short term or long term. Points for being realistic, but I guess realistic isn't all that exciting. We're kind of stuck in a rut with all this dead weight.

If Vegas takes Ennis because of the favor owed, we get a first for Kane, and we sign Smith, I'd be just as happy. We still stock up our D pipeline and clear some cap space to give us freedom as the season goes on.
Short term, agree, the needle doesn't move much, aside from system and play style upgrades. Long term, having two top 15 D in Makar and Valimaki moves the needle a lot.

Vegas takes either Moulson or Ennis, and Gorges (and Niemi, in this scenario) are gone after the season. Not that much dead weight. Really, after the season, just either Moulson or Ennis.

Old
06-02-2017, 03:49 AM
BiPolarBear

Botterill using Guentzel which he has multiple times as an example for an AHL apprenticeship is kinda off. The kid played all of 40 games in the A. He's an example of really good scouting/luck getting him in the 3rd round.

I think Baptiste can be a Guentzel. Stop bringing up talented prospects and sticking them with plugs on the 3rd and 4th lines. Bylsma probably set Justin Bailey back.

Closed Thread