HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

TSN regains Montreal 'local' English television

Old
05-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4000000
TSN regains Montreal 'local' English television

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/ca...-moving-to-tsn

Quote:
English language regional telecasts of weekday Canadiens games are moving back to TSN next season.

While there has been no official confirmation of the move from Rogers Sportsnet, The Gazette has learned that the deal between TSN and the Canadiens was completed earlier this year.

According to sources close to the negotiations, Sportsnet, which was in the final year of a three-season agreement to televise Canadiens games, made a strong push to retain the rights.

They were thwarted because Bell, TSN’s parent company, also has an ownership stake in the Canadiens, which included the right to match any offer for the TV rights. When Rogers acquired the Canadian TV rights to NHL games in Canada in 2014 and farmed out the national French-language rights to TVA, Bell invoked that clause to secure a French-language deal for RDS but passed on a TSN deal. RDS is reportedly paying $1 million a game for the 60 mid-week Canadiens games on its schedule. The TSN deal is for far less money and reflects the smaller audience for the games.

Their change of heart might have been a recognition that Rogers created a viable product around the Canadiens games.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2017, 07:38 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

vCash: 500
That 15% of the Habs that BCE is not really supposed to control (Yeah right!) sure as hell is paying off. It kept Quebecor out of 60 local market games at a stiff price, and now they are getting more local content for TSN. BCE is also pouring money on the Jets by buying the naming rights to the MTS Centre. At what point is the NHL going to put their foot down, and demand that they divest out somewhere?

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Brodie
voted best

Bell didn't really buy the naming rights to the Jets arena so much as they bought the company that already had the naming rights. I'm pretty confident that the second largest telecom in Canada didn't buy the largest telecom in Manitoba just to get their name mentioned on Jets broadcasts

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
That 15% of the Habs that BCE is not really supposed to control (Yeah right!) sure as hell is paying off. It kept Quebecor out of 60 local market games at a stiff price, and now they are getting more local content for TSN. BCE is also pouring money on the Jets by buying the naming rights to the MTS Centre. At what point is the NHL going to put their foot down, and demand that they divest out somewhere?
Why?

Why do people get so worked up about conglomerate A fighting against conglomerate B? Who cares?

BCE made a wise investment in a hockey team and are profiting from that to help with their content. Why would the NHL get upset about that? It's *NOT* BCE getting a lower price to pay for rights, it's BCE getting TSN a chance to match any offer. Rogers could have bid higher to maintain the rights but didn't.

When the Nordiques come back, Quebecor will reap the benefits of that and TVA Sports will have a crapload of content. This is fine.

A key driver of the Expos potentially coming back would be BCE needing content for TSN and RDS. I have no problem with conglomerates helping pay for sports teams instead of the public. If you get the leagues "putting their feet down" this would greatly reduce the interest they have. How is that good?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Bell didn't really buy the naming rights to the Jets arena so much as they bought the company that already had the naming rights. I'm pretty confident that the second largest telecom in Canada didn't buy the largest telecom in Manitoba just to get their name mentioned on Jets broadcasts
I'm sure this was the only reason!

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 09:20 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/05/29/...moving-to-tsn/

With TSN already carrying Ottawa Senators regional games, this would present a scheduling problem, since the two teams’ regions are identical. They could share TSN5, but there would need to be an overflow channel for times when both teams are playing (much like Sportsnet uses temporary Sportsnet One channels when Flames and Oilers games conflict). TSN could just create a TSN6, or a temporary channel, or some other deal.

Another thing to consider is that such a deal would drastically reduce the number of nationally broadcast Canadiens games. Because Sportsnet was both the regional and national rights holder, it could upgrade regional games to national ones, and last season broadcast 44 of 82 regular-season games nationally. If the Canadiens sell regional rights to TSN, Sportsnet could be left with as few as 22 games (mostly Saturday nights), and all the ones carried on TSN would be blacked out west of Ottawa.

Then there are other issues like on-air talent (John Bartlett would probably be out of a job if Sportsnet lost Canadiens games, but that’s no guarantee TSN would want him back).

Old
05-31-2017, 09:47 AM
MXD

Disclaimer : I'm personally not affected by this in the slightest (being French + In Québec = RDS, RDS being the "good" network and TVAS the "bad" one).

From what I could gather, the broadcasting itself will not be getting worse (and that's putting it mildly). We might even get lucky and have Johnson do the Habs broadcasts.

The issue I have with this is obviously the possibility of a blackout. I'm not really worried for people in my area who'd prefer to watch in English (I do think the market is to significant -- if there's really an issue with the Sens, then TSN will probably just create another channel to accomodate both teams, because I don't think TSN would pay (what they did) solely for a very small piece of the pie. I know I won't bother myself (but I probably would if the other option was TVAS).

Not to mention TSN (and BCE) absolutely has an incentive to actually broadcast the Habs games (and, in a certain way, to have them broadcasted, no matter by whom).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 10:28 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It's not that far fetched...given we in Canada are very well protected by CRTC from Media monopoles.

powerstuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
It's funny there wasn't even an english language regional TV broadcast until Rogers created it 3 years ago, lots of english fans just watch on RDS. Maybe some of these fans who don't speak French prefer it in an incomprehensible language, then you don't get the inane commentary.

I guess Rogers got decent enough ratings to make it worth TSN's while to put something together. Probably they could outbid Rogers because they can keep costs down by sharing assets with RDS and also TSN's english radio station which also covers the broadcasts.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Harry22
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
what about Rogers and their Rogers Arena, Rogers Place etc. etc.

Harry22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 11:43 AM
Harry22
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
It's funny there wasn't even an english language regional TV broadcast until Rogers created it 3 years ago, lots of english fans just watch on RDS. Maybe some of these fans who don't speak French prefer it in an incomprehensible language, then you don't get the inane commentary.

I guess Rogers got decent enough ratings to make it worth TSN's while to put something together. Probably they could outbid Rogers because they can keep costs down by sharing assets with RDS and also TSN's english radio station which also covers the broadcasts.
That is false. TSN had regional rights starting in 2011 with an alternate channel called TSN-Habs. Sportsnet gained those rights in 2015 when TSN decided not to match the offer.

Harry22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 10:13 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/05/29/...moving-to-tsn/

With TSN already carrying Ottawa Senators regional games, this would present a scheduling problem, since the two teams’ regions are identical. They could share TSN5, but there would need to be an overflow channel for times when both teams are playing (much like Sportsnet uses temporary Sportsnet One channels when Flames and Oilers games conflict). TSN could just create a TSN6, or a temporary channel, or some other deal.

Another thing to consider is that such a deal would drastically reduce the number of nationally broadcast Canadiens games. Because Sportsnet was both the regional and national rights holder, it could upgrade regional games to national ones, and last season broadcast 44 of 82 regular-season games nationally. If the Canadiens sell regional rights to TSN, Sportsnet could be left with as few as 22 games (mostly Saturday nights), and all the ones carried on TSN would be blacked out west of Ottawa.

Then there are other issues like on-air talent (John Bartlett would probably be out of a job if Sportsnet lost Canadiens games, but that’s no guarantee TSN would want him back).
What frustrate me the most is that either in French or English I got to pay for two different network to see all the Habs games. And since were a multi generational family with some of us not speaking English (Looking at you dad! loll) it four networks I got to have.

Old
06-01-2017, 10:16 AM
MXD

Quote:
What frustrate me the most is that either in French or English I got to pay for two different network to see all the Habs games. And since were a multi generational family with some of us not speaking English (Looking at you dad! loll) it four networks I got to have.
...Then ditch the English channels...?

Old
06-01-2017, 10:26 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...Then ditch the English channels...?
And watch on TVA sports... Have you ever watched a game on TVA Sports? My god it not even good enough to be RDS bad.

Old
06-01-2017, 10:33 AM
MXD

Quote:
And watch on TVA sports... Have you ever watched a game on TVA Sports? My god it not even good enough to be RDS bad.
Point taken

But RDS is actually VERY good as far as the description of the game is concerned. As for intermissions, I just.... do something else.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

TSN signs multi-year deal as official English language broadcaster for Montreal

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:15 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
BCE didn't buy the naming rights to MTS centre. They bought MTS who owns the naming rights to the building.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:21 PM
wingman75

Wonder how TSN will work this regional broadcast?

They expanded from TSN and TSN 2 to TSN 1 through 5 to accommodate their regional NHL rights. Last season it broke down like this:

TSN 1 = National Broadcast 100% of the time
TSN 2 = National Broadcast 100% of the time
TSN 3 = Jets
TSN 4 = Leafs
TSN 5 = Senators

So the assumption would be that TSN 1 gets rejigged to be the regional channel for the Canadiens?

Just curious.

I also wonder if SN is okay with this, since they were splitting SNE between the Habs and Sens, SNO is only Leafs, though I wonder what the breakdown was for # of viewers for Habs games vs Sens games on SNE...

wingman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:41 PM
MSZ

Who are going to call these regional games on TSN?

MSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:55 PM
MapleLeafsFan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman75 View Post

They expanded from TSN and TSN 2 to TSN 1 through 5 to accommodate their regional NHL rights. Last season it broke down like this:

TSN 3 = Jets
TSN 4 = Leafs
TSN 5 = Senators

So the assumption would be that TSN 1 gets rejigged to be the regional channel for the Canadiens?

Just curious.

I also wonder if SN is okay with this, since they were splitting SNE between the Habs and Sens, SNO is only Leafs, though I wonder what the breakdown was for # of viewers for Habs games vs Sens games on SNE...
I would assume TSN 1 shows the Canadiens games because they still need TSN 2 to show some Toronto Raptors NBA games depending what is broadcast on TSN 4 and Sportsnet who also show their games.

MapleLeafsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

Wouldn't be surprised if they create an overflow channel for when Habs and Sens games overlap, or else they create new TSN-Habs and/or TSN-Sens channels. You just have to hope and trust that your cable system will add them.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 05:55 PM
GoHabsGo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if they create an overflow channel for when Habs and Sens games overlap, or else they create new TSN-Habs and/or TSN-Sens channels. You just have to hope and trust that your cable system will add them.
Lucky for me I have Bell.

GoHabsGo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

One big plus for Bell is TSN-Habs can use the same production truck as RDS home and away and graphics can be tailored for both languages.

Old
06-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman75 View Post

TSN 3 = Jets
TSN 4 = Leafs
TSN 5 = Senators

Just curious.

I thought TSN1 was aimed toward BC and Alberta.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 11:52 PM
Trizent

TSN1 is AB/BC region. Granted only regional stuff would be Vancouver non-national MLS currently.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote