HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2006, 11:38 PM
KeepitinPitt

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Lundqvist

Hey guys, sorry for the ignorance here but didn't follow the Rangers too closely during the offseason this year. I was just curious as to what your expectations were of Ludndqvist before the season started. He's having a year worthy of strong Calder considerations (as if you guys didn't know that) yet personally I did not know a whole lot about him until he started breaking out. Was he supposed to hold the fort until Montoya was ready or were the expectations always there? Now that he seems to be firmly planted as the franchise goalie of the future what do you think will happen to Al? I would imagine it's good that there is no pressure to develope him faster and rush him up. Could these two be a great one two punch in the future or what? Thanks and again sorry for the ignorance.

Old
03-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Block More Shots

With the play of Lundqvist, there's really no need for a one-two punch. He's consistently solid and I think Montoya could be just as good as Lundqvist depending on if he fully develops.

Montoya should be dealt when we're positive that Lundqvist is our goalie of the future. Seeing how the Rangers staff seems to be gaining more and more confidence in him, that's not too far away at all.

I can't tell you my expectations of him because I never watched him play in Sweden. From what I was hearing, he could end up being a really good goalie and was a huge sleeper in the draft. Not only that but even the Rangers organization seemed to want to bring him over ASAP. I guess you could say that I thought he would be good but not THIS good.

Old
03-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Synergy27

While noone here could say they expected Henrik to be this good the day he was drafted, I would have to say that the majority of us "expected" this after watching him (or hearing about him, atleast) dominate an SEL full of NHL stars last year. His dominance and ability to thrive under pressure and in big games in Sweden really had alot of people buzzing over here, but the general consensus was that it would take him a month or two to get used to the smaller rink and what not. While a Calder calibre performance was not really expected, most people felt as if he would have secured the #1 job by January or so.

I think we have all been pleasantly surprised.

Old
03-27-2006, 12:17 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Nice, thanks for the replies. I should have paid a lot more attention to his numbers during the lockout, didn't even realize he was tearing up the SEL. It's old news but I felt real bad about Blackburn (and still do) however it's good to see that at least the Ranger organization was able to rebound in a big way. I still remember Dan stoning Jagr point blank when he was only 18 and how impressed I was. Anyway, that's kind of besides the point however I didn't think the Rangers would be able to find another stud like that so soon. I was pretty much ready to give AO the calder, like I said in a thread on the main board but then I thought about it a little more and really it would be a damn tough decision if Ludnqvist wins the Vezina. I guess I'll just sit back, watch and be thankful I'm not the guy who has to make that call. Now I guess I'll go back and patiently wait for the playoffs to start considering my team's season has been over since Steve Poapst and Lyle Odelien cashed their paychecks. Take it easy and good luck!

Old
03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
On Lundqvist: yes, I did expect him to be exceptional, though of course, no-one could say that we expected him to be this good. Those of us who were around last year had a lot of opportunities to see what he could do, even if just from Ola's links to SEL highlight reels.

On Montoya: don't let him be untouchable, but I'm not for trading him until we've seen what he can do, too. I expect him to be a great goaltender, too, and I've got no problem allowing him to develop in the AHL and then push Lundqvist. By that point, we could well have two world-class goalies to choose from and much more leverage for a trade. Montoya could end up being just as good as Lundqvist -- yes, I think both have the potential to be amongst the best in the league.

Closed Thread