HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: An Oilers/Rangers off season proposal

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
OT: An Oilers/Rangers off season proposal

Now that the Rangers have Swedish Stud Henrik Lundqvist in Goal. Would The Rangers be willing to part with Young Mr. Montoya.

Something like

To NYR: Torres, Markkanen, +

To EDM: Montoya

Just a thought.

Feel free to counter, but Hemsky, Schremp and Stoll are untouchable. (Pronger Too, but that contract is a little pricey anyway)

Again Just a thought

Old
03-27-2006, 02:13 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins
Now that the Rangers have Swedish Stud Henrik Lundqvist in Goal. Would The Rangers be willing to part with Young Mr. Montoya.

Something like

Just a thought.

Feel free to counter, but Hemsky, Schremp and Stoll are untouchable. (Pronger Too, but that contract is a little pricey anyway)

Again Just a thought

Helps the Rangers how exactly?

We need

1) Centers (top 2 line)
2) Physical defenseman
3) Physical top 6 forward

Torres is good and all but... uhhh not something to move Montoya for since we have a high number of quality wing prospects in the pipeline.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:16 AM
Bretzky*

No way on earth we'd give up Montoya for that.

I have to be honest. I'm really not impressed with anyone on your team except Hemsky.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:19 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968

I have to be honest. I'm really not impressed with anyone on your team except Hemsky.
I'd DEMAND Stoll. Good at faceoffs, 2nd line center. Perfect. If the Oilers didn't bite, oh well. Doesn't hurt us any.

Their D prospect Greene is intriguing, but not enough alone.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:58 AM
Balej20*

No way in hell. Montoya is every bit a top notch prospect as the guys you said are untouchable on Edm. So why should we move Monty for chump change?

Old
03-27-2006, 03:00 AM
The Mailman*

montoya for schremp sounds about fair

Old
03-27-2006, 03:17 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
I'd DEMAND Stoll. Good at faceoffs, 2nd line center. Perfect. If the Oilers didn't bite, oh well. Doesn't hurt us any.

Their D prospect Greene is intriguing, but not enough alone.

yea we passed on Stoll and drafted Lee Falardeau He is doing ok at AHL, not great stats but works hard and at least uses his size and fights.

Old
03-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Rodent

I might be wrong. But isn't Kevin Weekes signed through next season? If so, wouldn't that make Jussi Jussless to NYR?

Old
03-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:

Yep, Pronger, Smyth, Stoll, Bergeron, Samsonov.... your not impressed with any of them, your full of **** and you know it. Name me 1 team that wouldnt want any of those players on their team and I'll show you a liar....

Old
03-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Here's my logic for this deal for both sides.

First from the Rangers view:
They have a 24 year old proven NHL goaltender, whose looks like a stud flat out.
Montoya is young, but unproven.
Lundqvist looks like he could be a starter in the NHL for 12 to 15 years (barring injury)
There's no point in having Montoya rot in the minor or on the bench and you're not going to platoon these two.
In dealing Montoya the Rangers get:
A budding young, possible, 30 goal scoring power forward
If Weeks is a free agent, a cheap back, who can play around 20 to 25 games a year solidly. (Lundqvist is awesome, but he can't 82 games a year)
And another prospect, like McDonald, Brodziak, Paukovich or Syvret.
If Weeks isn't a free agent or dealt, then - Torres and Staios for Montoya.
Staios is a solid top 4 d-man with alot of grit and heart.

From the Oilers view:
They get a possible #1 goaltender
They make space for Schremp and Pouliot

Old
03-27-2006, 06:29 AM
bigblue21

Quote:

They have a 24 year old proven NHL goaltender, whose looks like a stud flat out.
Lundqvist looks like he could be a starter in the NHL for 12 to 15 years (barring injury)
There's no point in having Montoya rot in the minor or on the bench and you're not going to platoon these two.
If Weeks is a free agent, a cheap back, who can play around 20 to 25 games a year solidly. (Lundqvist is awesome, but he can't 82 games a year)

From the Oilers view:

How does Staios or Torres address the needs of the Rangers? We already have a logjam of average veteran D next year, why would we want to add to it? The Rangers pipeline is missing one thing--a top line scorer. Torres is a good player, will be a solid 2nd liner for years, but that's it. Schremp and something (maybe 1st or 2nd rounder in 2006) might be enough for Montoya, but Schremp alone is not enough. And if he's untouchable then talks about Montoya are useless. He's a 5th overall pick, and not only that but he has developed as expected to this point so he hasn't lost any value. If you want a franchise goaltender you have to give up something desirable.

Old
03-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
Yep, Pronger, Smyth, Stoll, Bergeron, Samsonov.... your not impressed with any of them, your full of **** and you know it. Name me 1 team that wouldnt want any of those players on their team and I'll show you a liar....
Every single one except Stoll is an underachiever at this point in my book. Pronger is incredibly overrated, and too expensive and old as we are still technically rebuilding. Why would I want to trade Montoya for any of that, when we have a good chance at signing Redden or Chara? Stoll is a good 2nd line center, but I'm just not a big fan. Therefore, the ONLY player you have that I'd be interested in is Hemsky. End of story, thanks, bye.

Old
03-27-2006, 07:11 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
I might be wrong. But isn't Kevin Weekes signed through next season? If so, wouldn't that make Jussi Jussless to NYR?
yes weekes is signed for another year

Old
03-27-2006, 07:51 AM
in the hall

markkanen is of no value in this.. torres ain't that bad, i think if you add a good prospect or a good combo in picks you have yourself a goaltender

Old
03-27-2006, 07:52 AM
in the hall

Quote:

From the Oilers view:
rangers are not the ones without bargaining power here

Old
03-27-2006, 08:11 AM
robertch

I hope Montoya isn't traded yet. I think a year as an NHL backup would not hurt his development one bit.

That said, I think Edmonton makes an interesting trade partner. I'd like to see the offer built around Horcoff instead of Torres.

Old
03-27-2006, 01:06 PM
TheZherdev

Your making it sound like there are no other teams the rangers can trade with. If the rangers were to trade montoya, the only teams i can see him going are teams with problems with goaltending and quality prospects (especially at center). Teams that might want to bite on montoya in my opinion are Florida, Washington (montoya would succeed kozig when the time was right), Vancouver,and Tampa. Montoya may also be used to trade up at the draft. Personally i dont see us trading montoya for a little while. But if we can use him as a trade to move up in the draft to get J-staal i would do it in a heart beat.

Old
03-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
Every single one except Stoll is an underachiever at this point in my book. Pronger is incredibly overrated, and too expensive and old as we are still technically rebuilding. Why would I want to trade Montoya for any of that, when we have a good chance at signing Redden or Chara? Stoll is a good 2nd line center, but I'm just not a big fan. Therefore, the ONLY player you have that I'd be interested in is Hemsky. End of story, thanks, bye.

hahah sure you leep believing that... hahahahah

seriously, do you watch hockey? or did you just become a rangers fans this year after they started winning?

Old
03-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Take it easy kid, it's gonna be alright.

Old
03-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Choice

I like Torres a lot and would like to see him be a Ranger. I like Stoll better and would prefer him, but if we could get Torres in a package for Montoya I would think about it.

Old
03-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
hahah sure you leep believing that... hahahahah

seriously, do you watch hockey? or did you just become a rangers fans this year after they started winning?
Relax there, kid. Montoya is on-par with Lundqvuist in terms of abilty. He will most likely be just as good. This trade proposal is useless as The Oilers dont have what we need.. a FIRST LINE Center or Wing prospect. The Rangers are loaded with budding 2nd and 3rd line players in our systm. And while Torres is avery good player, you would have to also include Scremp and a draft pick, too.

Look at what a team needs before u start some trade proposals. And why on earth would the Rangers take back Chris Pronger with THAT salary? No way. The Rangers have alot of good youg players coming up and the current team has a GREAT Salary Cap situatuon going into the offseason.

Old
03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch
I hope Montoya isn't traded yet. I think a year as an NHL backup would not hurt his development one bit.

That said, I think Edmonton makes an interesting trade partner. I'd like to see the offer built around Horcoff instead of Torres.

yea same here, id love to get ryan smyth but that is a dream. Id also like Winchester. Big man can skate. Sather likes those.

Old
03-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Nemchinov13

Forget Edmonton...

I have a better idea. If Florida is not going to re-sign Luongo, I'd trade Monty for Horton straight up (Horton can play both C and RW) or pick up underachieving Weiss and Florida's 1st (of course we'd have to give up like a 2nd rounder to get that top 10 pick). Weiss, I think, should fit perfectly between Straka and Sykora next season.

All right. Blast it!

Old
03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
natureboy*

Quote:

Something like

Just a thought.

Again Just a thought
WHAT!!!!!!! In your dreams

Old
03-27-2006, 03:33 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
WHAT!!!!!!! In your dreams
A very calm reaction considering