HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: Professional Rugby 7s league launching in Canada/USA

Old
06-14-2017, 11:56 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

vCash: 500
sevens sucks...rugby is such an amazing game of strength, speed, skill and strategy....sevens has nothing but speed...its a one dimensional iteration of a beautiful sport.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 01:42 AM
Rocko604
Playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
sevens sucks...rugby is such an amazing game of strength, speed, skill and strategy....sevens has nothing but speed...its a one dimensional iteration of a beautiful sport.
To each their own. Countries like Fiji, South Africa, and Zealand constantly win the World Series because they tackle well, have incredible handling and off-load skill and possess attacking strategy beyond speed. I'd even say Fiji (2016 Champions) and South Africa this season weren't even the fastest teams in the series.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:30 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
To each their own. Countries like Fiji, South Africa, and Zealand constantly win the World Series because they tackle well, have incredible handling and off-load skill and possess attacking strategy beyond speed. I'd even say Fiji (2016 Champions) and South Africa this season weren't even the fastest teams in the series.
The main issue with sevens is one of the fundamental tenets of XVs rugby is "all body sizes can play". I play on my club with a guy that's 6'2", 310 lb and I play with a guy that's 5'6", maybe 145 lb soaking wet. Sevens by fact is a more one-dimensional game and you therefore have almost none of your forwards in XVs can play. You could get by in a 7s match with your lowest-numbered XVs player being 9. The scrum is almost completely neutralized and is a non-event, rucking is lessened in importance, tactical kicking is almost completely removed, defensive strength is still there but it's not near as important as in XVs because if you get beat for a try, oh well, we can score in a minute.

I really can't play 7s simply because I'm 34 years old and I'm not fast enough, but I do want to do something once in a 7s match of setup a maul on the defensive end of the field and just maul down the whole length of a pitch for a try. Think about it, the defenders are going to be a bunch of speedsters that will have no idea what to do nor have the physical strength in some cases to stop it.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:29 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
The main issue with sevens is one of the fundamental tenets of XVs rugby is "all body sizes can play". I play on my club with a guy that's 6'2", 310 lb and I play with a guy that's 5'6", maybe 145 lb soaking wet. Sevens by fact is a more one-dimensional game and you therefore have almost none of your forwards in XVs can play. You could get by in a 7s match with your lowest-numbered XVs player being 9. The scrum is almost completely neutralized and is a non-event, rucking is lessened in importance, tactical kicking is almost completely removed, defensive strength is still there but it's not near as important as in XVs because if you get beat for a try, oh well, we can score in a minute.

I really can't play 7s simply because I'm 34 years old and I'm not fast enough, but I do want to do something once in a 7s match of setup a maul on the defensive end of the field and just maul down the whole length of a pitch for a try. Think about it, the defenders are going to be a bunch of speedsters that will have no idea what to do nor have the physical strength in some cases to stop it.
Which is all fine by me, that stuff is why I hate watching normal rugby, think its so boring to watch.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 01:03 PM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy0022 View Post
You laugh.... but the NHL is now priced out of the average fans price range.

NLL is a better product and the price is very right!

I much prefer the NLL to an NHL game.

and I'm saying that as someone who had never seen lacrosse up until 3 years ago and played the highest levels of hockey in life..
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy lacrosse too.

But even here in southwest BC, where lacrosse has a great tradition, the NLL doesn't attract huge crowds. The Vancouver Stealth, playing out in the burbs, are getting 3,500 in a 5,300-seat arena. It's a niche sport, with pockets of regional support only.

My point is that rugby is also a niche sport. This 7s league is trying to capitalize off of the interest gained from the last Olympics. That might get some attention, but it takes a lot for that to translate into long-term success. I think they might be better off starting small, or as a regional league, and then build into something.

MeHateHe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 10:06 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Which is all fine by me, that stuff is why I hate watching normal rugby, think its so boring to watch.
then go watch league

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Rocko604
Playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post

Completely agree on the size aspect, my main argument is that you have to be more than fast. Look at the USA. Perry Baker is fast, but he can't tackle worth ****. This is how Canada won in Singapore, as well as other teams beating the US. They ran right down his throat, and he couldn't stop anything.

FWIW, I'm 34 as well, typically play 2nd row, although I'm on a social club so the rucks aren't nearly as violent as they were in the good ol' 3rd division games. In a Touch 7s league over summer, that's been fun, although it's basically League as we have to kick away before the 6th touch or turn it over.

Last edited by Rocko604: 06-17-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote