HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2016-2017 Part XIII

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2017, 07:38 PM
  #1
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,124
vCash: 50
Around the League 2016-2017 Part XIII

Continued from: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2220017

Some posts from the previous thread to start us off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Yep, and get penalized for it...



Don't see it happening, not even as a desperation play if the Preds go down 3-0. They're in the SCF largely because of Rinne, they'll dance with the one who brought them.

My money is on Nashville tying up the series at home. They've largely outplayed the Pens these first two games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Pens have basically been outplayed the entire playoffs. Out shot, out corsied. They get a tonne of powerplays and convert on them at a high rate and their goalies have largely bailed them out when it counts.
I didn't watch them until the final four last year but didn't notice them playing like they have this year where I've been watching them since the 1st round. They go down pretty easy on most plays, embellish and dive quite a lot. I suppose you could say they might want it more than anyone but even if the refs aren't going to call it out there is still something to be said for gamesmanship. The Ducks play that way to but I expect it from a core made up of Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler. Not from Crosby, Malkin and Kessel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
as i've said before, a large chunk of the problem's the hockey culture. Sportsnet's broadcasters weren't even phased that a Penguin came down on the back of Subban's neck with his stick. that's the equivalent of a baseball player crosschecking the back of a catcher's neck. it's so not a hockey play. and there we are, the broadcasters pontificating if a penalty will be called for that.

it's so surreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I don't have a horse in this race (I like both the Pens and Preds, not huge fans of them but like them better than most) and I have not seen this biased reffing that everyone is talking about? It's been inconsistent, but I don't see it benefiting one team in particular over another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Vegas getting busy


YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 07:55 PM
  #2
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,182
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield
I don't have a horse in this race (I like both the Pens and Preds, not huge fans of them but like them better than most) and I have not seen this biased reffing that everyone is talking about? It's been inconsistent, but I don't see it benefiting one team in particular over another.
I don't think it is necessarily biased reffing. I think the refs actually don't even know they are doing it. It's the fact that the Pens have become so good at embellishing and flopping that they actually think they are calling legit penalties.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2017, 08:55 PM
  #3
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,277
vCash: 500
Wow Tomas Hyka is coming back to NA? Cool.

Hyka went undrafted in the 2011. Selected by Gatineau in the QMJHL draft, he then attended Philadelphia camp. Philadelphia then signed him and assigned him back to junior. Only they then found out you can't sign undrafted UFA's if they played in Europe the previous season (It always amazes me just how many people paid to talk about or work in hockey can't be bothered to even glance at the CBA). They then tried to hide the fact that they tried to sign him so teams wouldn't find out they wanted him to no avail. Kings would go on to take him in the following draft after a solid rookie season in QMJHL. He didn't progress the next year and I stopped following, but it was an odd situation.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 11:14 AM
  #4
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,462
vCash: 300
Is this a new trend in the NHL. Can you imagine the bathroom/beer queues at the MTS Centre if the Jets did this?


Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 11:20 AM
  #5
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Is this a new trend in the NHL. Can you imagine the bathroom/beer queues at the MTS Centre if the Jets did this?

So, basically a $550 cover charge to get into a bar. How stupid, wealthy or both do you have to be to go for this?

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 12:35 PM
  #6
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,807
vCash: 279
I would much rather go to a sports bar and watch the game on TV with a bunch of other fans. $550? ****, Edmonton only charge their fans $90. It's a perfect display of avarice in this industry.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 12:52 PM
  #7
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,569
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
I would much rather go to a sports bar and watch the game on TV with a bunch of other fans. $550? ****, Edmonton only charge their fans $90. It's a perfect display of avarice in this industry.
Have to agree. If they have that kind of overflow space available it should be made available for a relatively small price to fans who cannot afford regular tickets. Even $90 is high, IMO. $25-50 would be about right.

Free outdoor big screen in some suitable venue. Make money off the beer sales at the outdoor event. Free balloons and face painting for the kids. Help build the connection between the team and the community. A potential promotional bonanza. OK, maybe a night game is not that family friendly but trying to squeeze every nickel out of it is failing to see the true value, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 01:26 PM
  #8
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,462
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgisPer60 View Post
I would much rather go to a sports bar and watch the game on TV with a bunch of other fans. $550? ****, Edmonton only charge their fans $90. It's a perfect display of avarice in this industry.
How much would Edmonton have charged for the SCF?

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 01:27 PM
  #9
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,462
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Have to agree. If they have that kind of overflow space available it should be made available for a relatively small price to fans who cannot afford regular tickets. Even $90 is high, IMO. $25-50 would be about right.

Free outdoor big screen in some suitable venue. Make money off the beer sales at the outdoor event. Free balloons and face painting for the kids. Help build the connection between the team and the community. A potential promotional bonanza. OK, maybe a night game is not that family friendly but trying to squeeze every nickel out of it is failing to see the true value, IMO.
Nashville has this outside Bridgestone and I think it's free

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 02:42 PM
  #10
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net
 
CorgisPer60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Please Understand
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,807
vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
How much would Edmonton have charged for the SCF?
Probably around the same amount. The fact that they did it in the first place is lol worthy enough. ****, Toronto sets up **** in ML Square, and Pittsburgh has a giant road party outside the arena. There is no justifiable reason to charge an exorbitant amount of money - or any money - for the privilege of watching a game on TV. And honestly, if teams know they can get away with this ****, they'll continue to do it.

Literally over a half G to watch a game on a TV. Pathetic.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 04:52 PM
  #11
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,277
vCash: 500
I want Nashville to win, but I don't want Subban to get to keep his promise as his head is already the size of Jupiter. So I'm ok no matter what happens tonight.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 07:26 PM
  #12
JetsUK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...sion-1.4144594

Ducks extend Carlyle for a year, with an option for 2019-20. Ducks don't seem to be overly worried about the lame-duck factor or the optics of a short extension. Possible we see PoMo extended like this?

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 09:06 PM
  #13
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,462
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I want Nashville to win, but I don't want Subban to get to keep his promise as his head is already the size of Jupiter. So I'm ok no matter what happens tonight.
I want Nashville to win entirely because of PK.

It would troll Montreal in an extreme way.

Canadiens were the first team I openly hated when I was young. Long before the Oilers even existed.

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 10:26 AM
  #14
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
I want Nashville to win entirely because of PK.

It would troll Montreal in an extreme way.

Canadiens were the first team I openly hated when I was young. Long before the Oilers even existed.
Same

Habs were my first passion as a Hockey fan.....when I was a kid they were so dominant that I couldn't stand them. I have sofended that stance over the years as their futility has increased. The Ducks are currently the team that draws out the most negative emotion in me and I quite enjoyed their demise this post season.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 10:54 AM
  #15
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Same

Habs were my first passion as a Hockey fan.....when I was a kid they were so dominant that I couldn't stand them. I have sofended that stance over the years as their futility has increased. The Ducks are currently the team that draws out the most negative emotion in me and I quite enjoyed their demise this post season.
My Top 5 Most Despised Teams are:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
2. Toronto Argonauts
3. Toronto Raptors
4. Toronto Blue Jays
5. Chelsea

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 11:38 AM
  #16
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
Saw this over in the BoH Coyotes gigathread. Odds to win 2018 Stanley Cup.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

45/1 odds are pretty promising, no? I mean, would you ever fly again if planes had "only" a 1 in 45 chance of crashing?

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 12:06 PM
  #17
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,124
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Saw this over in the BoH Coyotes gigathread. Odds to win 2018 Stanley Cup.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

45/1 odds are pretty promising, no? I mean, would you ever fly again if planes had "only" a 1 in 45 chance of crashing?
Would you fly again if your odds were 8.5:1 ?


YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 11:09 PM
  #18
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"
 
Duke749's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,281
vCash: 984
The Pens bias by some on NBC is getting annoying like calling Crosby's hit clean while showing him the box for said hit. I'm also finding McGuire more knowledgeable and not all that intelligent if you know what I mean.

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 11:37 PM
  #19
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Is this a new trend in the NHL. Can you imagine the bathroom/beer queues at the MTS Centre if the Jets did this?

I would feel more grounded selling fentanyl patches.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 07:46 AM
  #20
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,129
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke749 View Post
The Pens bias by some on NBC is getting annoying like calling Crosby's hit clean while showing him the box for said hit. I'm also finding McGuire more knowledgeable and not all that intelligent if you know what I mean.
Lol what? Milbury hates the Pens with a passion.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:10 AM
  #21
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 21,073
vCash: 50
I am glad Nashville got one.....I would like it if they win tonight and make this a series. I am enjoying the atmosphere at Bridgestone.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:53 AM
  #22
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
So, basically a $550 cover charge to get into a bar. How stupid, wealthy or both do you have to be to go for this?
More so when you can buy a full Season Ticket for $907.75.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:44 AM
  #23
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"
 
Duke749's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,281
vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
Lol what? Milbury hates the Pens with a passion.
Pretty sure I didn't say Milbury or that he didn't make the comment. Perhaps you should read bettter. I did say "some".

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 02:27 PM
  #24
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,129
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke749 View Post
Pretty sure I didn't say Milbury or that he didn't make the comment. Perhaps you should read bettter. I did say "some".
[mod]

I just haven't seen it imo and I watch the nbc feed. Have all playoffs.


Last edited by YWGinYYZ; 06-05-2017 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.
LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
  #25
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,182
vCash: 50
Pierre is so damn annoying with all his Pens love. Like just call the game guy.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.