Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2016-2017 Part XIII

Old
06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

vCash: 500
Fantastic series of plays by the Preds on their third goal.

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Smelling Salt

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I'd pull Murray. He can't make a big save right now.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Here's a Predators organized chant guide

https://section303.com

Gotta love Luongo

Last edited by Aavco Cup: 06-05-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 09:51 PM
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Pierre is so damn annoying with all his Pens love. Like just call the game guy.
Pierre doesn't call the game. He's the analyst

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
Pierre doesn't call the game. He's the analyst
He talks and annoys.....

Old
06-05-2017, 10:07 PM
JetsUK

I think this year's Jets of the last 8 games would be beating the Pens tonight. Slow D, poor reads on passes all over the ice. They look worn out and vulnerable to opposition speed.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Aavco Cup

Old
06-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Hobble

I would love the Jets to meet the Preds in playoffs. Imagine the fans trying to outdo each other each game.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Flair Hay

Preds playing great to get back in it. Pens have another gear to hit yet though. Think this one is going 7.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Big Character to come back to tie the series.

First one to lose at home will lose this series.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:31 PM
WPGChief
Rookie User

I almost feel comfortable saying that NSH is gonna win the next two games as well. They've been comfortably playing better than PIT in all four games, just doesn't always show on the scoreboard.

The reason I'm uncomfortable is because I'm not sure if Murray is gonna continue standing on his head like the end of this fourth game or if Rinne reverts to his games one+two form.

WPGChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:45 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
Preds playing great to get back in it. Pens have another gear to hit yet though. Think this one is going 7.
Yeah. Reverse!

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGChief View Post
I almost feel comfortable saying that NSH is gonna win the next two games as well. They've been comfortably playing better than PIT in all four games, just doesn't always show on the scoreboard.

The reason I'm uncomfortable is because I'm not sure if Murray is gonna continue standing on his head like the end of this fourth game or if Rinne reverts to his games one+two form.
Pittsburgh had no business even competing in the Washington series, never mind winning it. Ottawa was never an actually threatening contender IMO, and the Pens still almost blew that series. The chickens I think are coming home to roost. (hopefully)

Old
06-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
Pens haven't really shown they have another gear all playoffs. Pretty much outplayed and outshot all playoffs but kept managing to pull out wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Pittsburgh had no business even competing in the Washington series, never mind winning it. Ottawa was never an actually threatening contender IMO, and the Pens still almost blew that series. The chickens I think are coming home to roost. (hopefully)
Columbus, Washington, Ottawa and now Nashville have outshot, out corsied and out played the Pens the whole way pretty much. Fluery kept them in every single game. Now Murray has helped them out to date but even so they just have not played well. That defence has no business being in a Cup final just as much as the Sens offence didn't.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 11:27 PM
Aavco Cup

OMG look at the headline on this TSN tweet

Old
06-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

That video of Bryz in Nashville for the Player's Tribune was great.

Ilya is awesome, and the Jets should have signed him, if only for the memes.

Old
06-06-2017, 03:11 AM
jetsforever

Quote:
That video of Bryz in Nashville for the Player's Tribune was great.

Ilya is awesome, and the Jets should have signed him, if only for the memes.
Totally agree, hope he joins the media full time somehow

Awesome that Nashville evened the series, last couple games should be exciting!

jetsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 07:16 AM
HannuJ

i can't decide if Rinne was Hasek great i.e. out of control and making crazy saves due to athleticism, or if he was "dude is lucky as hell...repeatedly" great.
i'm thinking the latter. that 5-hole save on the breakaway where he used the heal of his stick between his legs? lol. that ain't good goaltending.
so who really knows how this will go. logically, Nashville will win in 6. but i don't have huge faith in Rinne. he's just a big, relatively athletic body that's making a lot of unconventional saves. sadly, today's NHL means that pinball goals and huge-as-hell goalies means fewer skilled shooting opportunities on net, so guys like Rinne may look better than they actually are.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Hobble

All the Preds chants are making me miss when we used to chant

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:54 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
i can't decide if Rinne was Hasek great i.e. out of control and making crazy saves due to athleticism, or if he was "dude is lucky as hell...repeatedly" great.
i'm thinking the latter. that 5-hole save on the breakaway where he used the heal of his stick between his legs? lol. that ain't good goaltending.
so who really knows how this will go. logically, Nashville will win in 6. but i don't have huge faith in Rinne. he's just a big, relatively athletic body that's making a lot of unconventional saves. sadly, today's NHL means that pinball goals and huge-as-hell goalies means fewer skilled shooting opportunities on net, so guys like Rinne may look better than they actually are.
I have zero idea.

I thought Crosby looked great last night and I thought the Pens had some really good chances early where they just didn't get the bounce. Rinne looked confident and comfortable and yes he got lucky too. Murray finally looks mortal.

I am just thankful that it's a series now.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

Where did this meme of "HURR DURR NBA SUCKS SO MUCH WORSE THAN NHL! NHL PLAYOFFS HAVE BEEN GREAT!" come from. I've been really bored by these playoffs, especially after the first round. The quality of play has really been bogged down from what I've seen. I guess that' the modern NHL now.

I kinda wish I didn't watch the World Cup with the U23 team. That was a hockey epiphany. Maybe I'll load up a couple of their games and watch em, because nothing has come within the same galaxy of quality of play since those games.

Old
06-06-2017, 11:42 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Where did this meme of "HURR DURR NBA SUCKS SO MUCH WORSE THAN NHL! NHL PLAYOFFS HAVE BEEN GREAT!" come from. I've been really bored by these playoffs, especially after the first round. The quality of play has really been bogged down from what I've seen. I guess that' the modern NHL now.

I kinda wish I didn't watch the World Cup with the U23 team. That was a hockey epiphany. Maybe I'll load up a couple of their games and watch em, because nothing has come within the same galaxy of quality of play since those games.
It might not even be that the NHL playoffs are good but you are not going to get much worse than the NBA playoffs "this season". The emergence of the super teams is reminiscent of club soccer in Europe. GS and Cleveland have rendered the first three rounds of this playoffs meaningless and have given it an almost preseason vibe IMO of coarse.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Bard View Post
Fantastic series of plays by the Preds on their third goal.
The one where there were two diving passes, and the 2nd pass (mid-dive) had to lift the puck off the ice to get the pass through? Yeah that was really, really crazy awesome.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 12:30 PM
WPGChief
Rookie User

Quote:
To be fair, NSH is in these series because of Rinne all the sudden playing like a .930 goaltender when he's been declining for the past 3 seasons and because they have 4 top-30 NHL defenceman. Hard to get to the Finals without a top winger and your #1 centre.

PIT is in because I believe Sullivan is a genius coach. Dude knows how to play matchups and neutral zone well. It showed against OTT - couldn't rely on talent so he changed his off. zone entries dramatically by reducing his defence's impact on the play, or by stretch passing only. Always dump-in on Karlsson, let him get battered and bruised when he goes to retrieve the puck, and hopefully he finally breaks (literally and figuratively). Smart, smart coach.

Old
06-06-2017, 12:48 PM
WPGChief
Rookie User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
It might not even be that the NHL playoffs are good but you are not going to get much worse than the NBA playoffs "this season". The emergence of the super teams is reminiscent of club soccer in Europe. GS and Cleveland have rendered the first three rounds of this playoffs meaningless and have given it an almost preseason vibe IMO of coarse.
#PleaseLikeMySport

In the NBA, at least you know you're getting the top team winning the championship. Not so much for the NHL.

If I were commissioner of the NHL, I'd reduce number of games to 70-76, start the season in late Sept, and make sure there are never back-to-back games (aka always one day between games). Would hopefully reduce number of injuries, or give players more time to recover from injuries, in order to have healthier teams when you get to the playoffs.

And that's when I would also implement a variation of the Gold Plan that still has the draft lottery for top 3 - you have healthier teams, so if you don't make the playoffs, you should still be playing competitively. Most gold points = higher odds in the draft lottery, starting at 25% and going down.

Anyways, enough fantasies. I agree that "superteams" have made the NBA a whole lot more boring, but I also bet that down the line we're going to be telling our children about two of the best NBA teams to ever exist going head-to-head for the championship 3+ years in a row.