HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2016-2017 Part XIII

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2017, 01:21 PM
  #51
Romang67
Moderator
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Country: Sweden
Posts: 21,565
vCash: 500
Living in the Bay Area, this basketball season has been incredibly dull. Didn't care during the regular season, as it always is an 82 game warmup. Didn't care during the first three playoff rounds, as it was a few more games of warmup. Now, the finals are finally here, and I find myself... not caring, because I'm not the kind of fan who only watches the final.

It has just been a waste of time.

Give me a somewhat unpredictable NHL playoffs any day. And about the best team not winning in the NHL: Last I checked, goaltending, coaching, and team play are part of a team. It's not just about getting the best players on paper.

__________________
Team Dunderhead
Winner of the inaugural Romang Award 2014
Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 01:53 PM
  #52
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite
 
Board Bard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
The one where there were two diving passes, and the 2nd pass (mid-dive) had to lift the puck off the ice to get the pass through? Yeah that was really, really crazy awesome.
Yeah, that second diving pass was Crosby-worthy.

Board Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 03:44 PM
  #53
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
NBA has been boring for the last 3 years. If you're a fan of any 9f the other teams that can't make the final what is the point of even watching?
I love hockey because of its cinderella runs. You can be a fan of a team like Ottawa and go on a crazy run into the playoffs. Sure the top teams are always a threat but at least there is some deviation in how things turn out. The NBA finals are written in stone before the season even starts.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 04:52 PM
  #54
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 50
no one's talking about the uselessness of the competition committee's recommended "changes"

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 05:05 PM
  #55
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
no one's talking about the uselessness of the competition committee's recommended "changes"
No time outs after icings? Sure, whatever.

High stick a puck in the offensive zone results in a faceoff outside the zone? Yeah fine.

I'm not going to recognize the league next year!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 05:39 PM
  #56
pucka lucka
Registered User
 
pucka lucka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,481
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
No time outs after icings? Sure, whatever.

High stick a puck in the offensive zone results in a faceoff outside the zone? Yeah fine.

I'm not going to recognize the league next year!
I was really hoping for something big like when they made the defensive player put his stick down first for faceoffs a few years ago.

pucka lucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:04 PM
  #57
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,941
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGChief View Post
#PleaseLikeMySport

In the NBA, at least you know you're getting the top team winning the championship. Not so much for the NHL.

If I were commissioner of the NHL, I'd reduce number of games to 70-76, start the season in late Sept, and make sure there are never back-to-back games (aka always one day between games). Would hopefully reduce number of injuries, or give players more time to recover from injuries, in order to have healthier teams when you get to the playoffs.

And that's when I would also implement a variation of the Gold Plan that still has the draft lottery for top 3 - you have healthier teams, so if you don't make the playoffs, you should still be playing competitively. Most gold points = higher odds in the draft lottery, starting at 25% and going down.


Anyways, enough fantasies. I agree that "superteams" have made the NBA a whole lot more boring, but I also bet that down the line we're going to be telling our children about two of the best NBA teams to ever exist going head-to-head for the championship 3+ years in a row.
If you suggested this stuff, you'd be fired as commissioner,

And I agree, the NBA playoffs have been terrible, but I just want to bring up that it's not like the NHL playoffs have been must see.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:06 PM
  #58
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,941
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucka lucka View Post
I was really hoping for something big like when they made the defensive player put his stick down first for faceoffs a few years ago.
Don't be so dissapointed, there's always the classic: "Reduce goalie equipment by a couple millimeters." they can pull out at any time!

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 08:58 AM
  #59
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,460
vCash: 300
Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 02:27 PM
  #60
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 50
https://twitter.com/CTVchrisepp/stat...23937938264064

read his feed. some real puke-in-mouth gems. Burke's so f'ing out of touch with reality (like most NHL foreheads)

https://twitter.com/CTVchrisepp/stat...30642461876224

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 04:16 PM
  #61
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
Looks like Seattle will have an NHL/NBA ready arena at KeyArena after a mega renovation and an ownership group is already in place and they have very deep pockets, featuring most notebaly Pirates of the Caribean director Jerry Bruckheimer. Should the NHL accept a Seattle expansion bid, a hockey team is likely a done deal in Seattle with likely another expansion draft.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 05:03 PM
  #62
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Looks like Seattle will have an NHL/NBA ready arena at KeyArena after a mega renovation and an ownership group is already in place and they have very deep pockets, featuring most notebaly Pirates of the Caribean director Jerry Bruckheimer. Should the NHL accept a Seattle expansion bid, a hockey team is likely a done deal in Seattle with likely another expansion draft.
Seattle is a great market to get into, I just don't think they will pay the 500 million. And I don't see how the NHL can get less than 500 million and still save face regarding the Las Vegas expansion and failed Quebec proposal. I firmly believe that's where NHL wants to go for team #32 though.

Right now the most likely might be a move to Seattle (Carolina?) and when that happens a simultaneous approval of an expansion bid out of Quebec.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 05:07 PM
  #63
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,535
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Seattle is a great market to get into, I just don't think they will pay the 500 million. And I don't see how the NHL can get less than 500 million and still save face regarding the Las Vegas expansion and failed Quebec proposal. I firmly believe that's where NHL wants to go for team #32 though.

Right now the most likely might be a move to Seattle (Carolina?) and when that happens a simultaneous approval of an expansion bid out of Quebec.
Jets 1.0 still haven't found a home - 21 years wandering the desert and still counting. It took Moses 40 years.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 06:06 PM
  #64
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Seattle is a great market to get into, I just don't think they will pay the 500 million. And I don't see how the NHL can get less than 500 million and still save face regarding the Las Vegas expansion and failed Quebec proposal. I firmly believe that's where NHL wants to go for team #32 though.

Right now the most likely might be a move to Seattle (Carolina?) and when that happens a simultaneous approval of an expansion bid out of Quebec.
The Seattle NHL ownership group is made up some incredibley rich men. They likely will have no problem forking over 500 million and given they have just formed with the purpose of bringing an NHL team are likely expecting to pay it. Basically its up to the NHL at this point.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 06:29 PM
  #65
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Seattle is a great market to get into, I just don't think they will pay the 500 million. And I don't see how the NHL can get less than 500 million and still save face regarding the Las Vegas expansion and failed Quebec proposal. I firmly believe that's where NHL wants to go for team #32 though.

Right now the most likely might be a move to Seattle (Carolina?) and when that happens a simultaneous approval of an expansion bid out of Quebec.
the NHL doesn't want to admit that there's a lengthy list of candidates that can and should move.
Phoenix
Florida
TBay
Carolina

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 06:57 PM
  #66
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
the NHL doesn't want to admit that there's a lengthy list of candidates that can and should move.
Phoenix
Florida
TBay
Carolina
Tampa is actually doing quite well they haven't had a sub 15,000 average attendance season since 2001 and have averaged over 17,000 since 2010. Tampa has actually been operating at a very slight $3 mil income over the last few seasons and have been strongly competitive. They have generated more revenue than the Jets since they've been in Winnipeg too. They along with Nashville are easily one of the success stories of southern expansion.

Carolina, Columbus, Florida and Arizona are the only teams that currently operate at a loss. Many expect Columbus to be out of that hole soon with a more competitive team. But currently both Carolina and Florida are hemorrhaging about $15 million a season over the last few years and Arizona is just a giant money pit.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 07:50 PM
  #67
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,535
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Tampa is actually doing quite well they haven't had a sub 15,000 average attendance season since 2001 and have averaged over 17,000 since 2010. Tampa has actually been operating at a very slight $3 mil income over the last few seasons and have been strongly competitive. They have generated more revenue than the Jets since they've been in Winnipeg too. They along with Nashville are easily one of the success stories of southern expansion.

Carolina, Columbus, Florida and Arizona are the only teams that currently operate at a loss. Many expect Columbus to be out of that hole soon with a more competitive team. But currently both Carolina and Florida are hemorrhaging about $15 million a season over the last few years and Arizona is just a giant money pit.
I can't recall the details but Florida's arena lease deal has some odd provisions that make it profitable even if they lose money on operations. Everything will change when that deal expires but for now they are secure, I believe.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 07:59 PM
  #68
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I can't recall the details but Florida's arena lease deal has some odd provisions that make it profitable even if they lose money on operations. Everything will change when that deal expires but for now they are secure, I believe.
They also have an owner with deep pockets.

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 08:34 PM
  #69
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I can't recall the details but Florida's arena lease deal has some odd provisions that make it profitable even if they lose money on operations. Everything will change when that deal expires but for now they are secure, I believe.
Yup. And I kinda doubt they lose as much as people think. I saw an income statement at one point from the Florida ownership that got released and the only year between 02-09 they lost money was during 04-05 year.

People like to assume that all these teams are in trouble since they aren't in "traditional" markets, but it's just not the reality. They there is a reason that only one team has moved in the past 20 years. Carolina and Phoenix are the only two that are legitmately in any kind of trouble, even then the new Phoenix management have the team on relatively stable footing right now and there doesn't appear to be any imminent move. If they can't get an arena deal (which admittedly they have had trouble with so far) then we can start to talk serious trouble.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 08:46 PM
  #70
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,141
vCash: 500

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 09:54 PM
  #71
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,535
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
They also have an owner with deep pockets.
Deep pocketed owners are good to carry a team over a temporary rough spot but they didn't get rich running money losing businesses.

One way or another they have to at least break even. At break even they are still a poor investment of several hundred million $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yup. And I kinda doubt they lose as much as people think. I saw an income statement at one point from the Florida ownership that got released and the only year between 02-09 they lost money was during 04-05 year.

People like to assume that all these teams are in trouble since they aren't in "traditional" markets, but it's just not the reality. They there is a reason that only one team has moved in the past 20 years. Carolina and Phoenix are the only two that are legitmately in any kind of trouble, even then the new Phoenix management have the team on relatively stable footing right now and there doesn't appear to be any imminent move. If they can't get an arena deal (which admittedly they have had trouble with so far) then we can start to talk serious trouble.
How many 'last chances' do they get on that? Haven't kept up too closely. Where are they going to play next year, Gila River? What about the year after that? They can't build an arena in a year if they broke ground tomorrow. Or can they? Of course they aren't breaking ground tomorrow. Last I remember their last best hope had fallen through but somehow they always seem to come up with another doomed proposal. Has to end eventually.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 01:23 AM
  #72
Hobby Bull
Registered User
 
Hobby Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 976
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Pens haven't really shown they have another gear all playoffs. Pretty much outplayed and outshot all playoffs but kept managing to pull out wins.



Columbus, Washington, Ottawa and now Nashville have outshot, out corsied and out played the Pens the whole way pretty much. Fluery kept them in every single game. Now Murray has helped them out to date but even so they just have not played well. That defence has no business being in a Cup final just as much as the Sens offence didn't.
When L.A. was the league powerhouse, I was convinced that the strongest 4th line was the best predictor of the Stanley Cup winner.

Now, I'm not too sure that it goes that far.

Nashville is "deeper", in my opinion, and that might be enough as the playoffs also go deeper.

Hobby Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 01:37 AM
  #73
Hobby Bull
Registered User
 
Hobby Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 976
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGChief View Post
To be fair, NSH is in these series because of Rinne all the sudden playing like a .930 goaltender when he's been declining for the past 3 seasons and because they have 4 top-30 NHL defenceman. Hard to get to the Finals without a top winger and your #1 centre.

PIT is in because I believe Sullivan is a genius coach. Dude knows how to play matchups and neutral zone well. It showed against OTT - couldn't rely on talent so he changed his off. zone entries dramatically by reducing his defence's impact on the play, or by stretch passing only. Always dump-in on Karlsson, let him get battered and bruised when he goes to retrieve the puck, and hopefully he finally breaks (literally and figuratively). Smart, smart coach.

I really do get that..."genius" of Sullivan. Goons it up against the Jets, and decries goons immediately thereafter. That's his job. I, on the other hand, don't respect a lack of integrity. Sorry. Those are my values, and I don't expect you to share.

Nashville may not prevail, but their success so far is their depth. Goaltending has been largely even, overall. Pittsburgh has three high end players that Nashville is hard-pressed to match. After that, not so much.

Hobby Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 12:20 PM
  #74
wpgallday1960
Registered User
 
wpgallday1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sunny St. James
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
LV just hired an assistant coach named Mike Kelly. As a Bomber fan that is a name I don't want to hear anymore.

wpgallday1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 09:03 PM
  #75
Master Scheif
he's cookin'
 
Master Scheif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 205
6 goal Ron strikes again

Master Scheif is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.