HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Sakic

Old
06-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Joe Sakic

I only saw him 2005-2009. How good was he before that?

What type of impact did he have on the ice?

Was he better than Peter Forsberg?

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Sea Eagles

He was a leader and legend from the moment he threw on that Quebec jersey. In my completely bias opinion about him, best player to have ever played the game - straight up.

Based on injury alone, yes, I feel he was better than Forsberg, all be it completely different types of players, so hard to compare.

BUT, if hindsight were fore knowledge, Joe Sakic every time.

Sea Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post

He was good. 2000-2004 he was probably the best on the planet (Naslund was pretty great too). Consistent over his entire career. Arguably the classiest to ever lace him up. Super Joe is my favorite athlete of all time.

He controlled the entire play on the ice. The difference in him and the guys that have the ability to do that today (Backstrom, Giroux, Thornton) is that he had the best wrister in the league to go along with it. So often you'd see him pull up on the half wall, slow everything down while looking for options, spin away from a player and then just decide to snipe it from a different area code without the goaltender even realizing he released the puck. One of the only players I've ever witness who was able to take a full shot while in stride. Phill Kessel does this well today.

Was he better than Foppa? I dunno. Career wise absolutely. I've never seen any hockey player able to take over a hockey game the way Foppa could though. Downright dominant. If I'm picking a player to build my team around I select Sakic. If my team is down a goal with 2 minutes left I want Foppa on the ice.

Old
06-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Cullen Bohannon

Sakic never had that ability to completely dominate like Forsberg did, but he was an incredibly effective difference maker and made his linemates better along with playing an elite 200ft game.

I've never seen a deadlier wrist shot or a more clutch playoff performer.

Cullen Bohannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:

He was arguably the best forward in the game from 1996 to the lockout, not counting Lemieux and Jagr.

When he was on the ice he wasn't as flashy as Foppa, but he controlled the game with uncanny ease. His shot was the most beautiful thing you could've witnessed. Played against other team's top lines and regularly came out on top. Great defensively.

Yes, he was better than Foppa. I honestly never understood how some might claim Foppa was better, other than valuing flash over substance, not saying Foppa lacked substance.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Steady presence. Consistent producer. Ice water in his veins in the clutch. Perfect example of a 50-50 goal/assist guy, who could do them both. Solid two way player. Great face-off man. Rarely got hit. One of the best releases on his shot in history. Silent assassin type that brought it every game, and lead by example.

But Forsberg to me was always better because he was so dominant. You couldn't figure out what he was gonna do with the puck, let alone stop him. If he could stay healthy like Sakic, I don't think there'd be any debate who was better. He'd be viewed with the all time greats too.

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 12:41 PM
AvsGuy
Flagrant Violater

Nothing sums up Joe Sakic for me like this clip.

Biggest game of his life and the lives of everyone on his team, and he puts it through the legs of one of the best defensemen of his era and over the shoulder of one of the best goaltenders in history.

Last edited by AvsGuy: 06-02-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Where is my gfy, fine I'll use YouTube
AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
Nothing sums up Joe Sakic for me like this clip.

Biggest game of his life and the lives of everyone on his team, and he puts it through the legs of one of the best defensemen of his era and over the shoulder of one of the best goaltenders in history.

One of my favorite goals of all time. I've always loved Brodeur's reaction too. "Guys wtf?? You know I can only stop perimeter shots from 50+ feet out. You let him too close".

Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

I love that goal for many reasons. Mostly because it pretty much sealed the Cup with the way teams played defensively back then.

The other thing I love though is what the hell is Bourqy doing in front of the net? Must have been a set PP play, but that's pretty aggressive for back then. They've got a 2-0 lead in game 7 of the finals. If they turn that over, and it goes the other way for a 2 on 1, and they score, it completely changes that game.

Bourque comes charging in like a bat outta hell waiting for a rebound, but Sakic just says screw it and puts it top cheese instead.

Another underrated part of that is how bout that pass from Tangs to Hejduk that just missed on the shot. What a game he had. Already with the only two goals in game 7, and he sets up a pass like that?

Old
06-02-2017, 01:10 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

The only player to ever score 100 points on a last place team. I think that says it all.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Sakic was relaxed, he never appeared stressed out and that's probably why he was so clutch. Sometimes I wonder if the fact that he was so talented and had an introvert personality play in his ability to be a good GM.

But then again, Yzerman...

Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
The only player to ever score 100 points on a last place team. I think that says it all.
2nd oldest to ever score 100 points too. Behind only Gordie who was a freak.

Crazy thing is Gordie almost became the oldest and the first player to score 100 points at the same time. Espo got there first earlier in the season. Gordie did it the day before his 41st birthday, but Esposito was in his 20's.

Old
06-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

Did he play with any physicality (throwing checks)?

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 09:00 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Not really. He did have one fight though.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
he'd put his body on some guys in corners but he wasn't overly physical. Not really his game at all and he was much more finesse.

I would call him a sniper - his wrist shot was one of the best all time. But he was more than just a sniper and that term doesn't do him justice. His face-off skills were tops in the league at the time. He was a very skilled defender, but not a physical defender (more positioning/use of his stick). And he was a very steady presence as a leader on a team where they had multiple big personalities. He made crucial goals at crucial times....took almost all of the team's most important faceoff situations...and played on both the 1st team PK and PP.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 09:56 PM
titan

Sakic was my favorite Av player of all time.

With the potential draft eligible players being debated in another thread, how did Sakic last until pick #15 in the 1987 draft? What was the knock on him coming into that draft? How did he prove those critics wrong? I didn't follow the NHL closely back then.

titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
RIP SvatosTheGreat

vCash: 400
He impacted every aspect of the game better than every single player that's playing today. Bar Jags.

Foppa was still better. Pretty clear too.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 10:09 PM
agentblack

Quote:
I think pre Avs days he was widely thought to be soft. I remember watching an old QUE game and the announcer said he couldnt even check his hat. But even back then he was elusive and smart as hell.

Even though he only played a short time with Wendel , i think he learned something from him

agentblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Lord Moriarty007
Lets go Avs & Bolts!

Quote:
He did kick the crap out of Doug Gilmour.

Lord Moriarty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 03:25 AM
dahrougem2

Sakic's consistency and longevity made him ultimately better than Forsberg.

That said, I'll take Forsberg at his peak over Sakic at his peak. Problem with Forsberg is that his peak didn't last that long whereas Sakic's did.

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 05:44 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Sakic's consistency and longevity made him ultimately better than Forsberg.

That said, I'll take Forsberg at his peak over Sakic at his peak. Problem with Forsberg is that his peak didn't last that long whereas Sakic's did.
I think this sums it up pretty well. When Forsberg was at his best he was the best player on this team and in the league. However, you could count on Sakic year in, year out for his entire career.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 02:21 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Moriarty007 View Post
He did kick the crap out of Doug Gilmour.
Def top 5 fav Sakic moments

His one timer blast past Osgood in gm6
Wrister beating Brodeur in gm 7
Beating the crap out of Gilmour after being all like "dude back off"

agentblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 02:58 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

Forsberg was, in my opinion, a better forward; the guy had a lethal combination of skill, creativity, and passion... when healthy. Sakic was probably a better player overall, but if you needed a goal, call Forsberg. Toews and Kane are somewhat reminiscent of this duo, though Sakic was better than Toews, and Forsberg (in my opinion) better than Kane.

RumpleSnipeSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 03:24 PM
AvsGuy
Flagrant Violater

It's hard for me to say Forsberg wasn't as consistently good as Sakic because Forsberg's style of play led him to being more consistently injured than Sakic.

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 03:40 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Forsberg was the best player I have ever seen play live... but he was a shooting star. Burned very bright for a short amount of time. Sakic was a legit superstar for 20 seasons.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote