HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Milbury trade for Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 08:46 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Can Milbury trade for Gaborik

I personally think the Wild would let him stay home the entire season as opposed to moving him and it's going to take an excellent deal unless the situtation is such where the Wild have had enough and just want to be rid of him as soon as possible.

But looking at it from the Isles point of view this would get more fans in the seats and some excitement around the team. It would also give Yashin a full-time right wing and maybe someone to get him the puck (which Czerkawski-Kvasha) have some problems with so far.

Only problem is what can the Isles put into a deal (short of DiPietro) to make it happen and how can they do this where they do not add payroll?

For me, any deal starts with Parrish. His contract/Minnesota background and the fact he is a right wing. After that it get's much tougher because a defender would have to be included and this is where the Wild may not want to add a three million dollar salary or higher and it would likely take one of the prospects here as well.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:07 AM
CREW99AW

Someone on another board made the point that Wang's going to look at 30 goal scorer Gaborik's $4m+salary,then ask why pay Gaborik that much when he's got an $800,000 ex-30 goal scorer in Chow.

and while Gaborik's age/upside make him preferable to Chow,I don't see Wang giving the green light to adding a $4m player.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:24 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Someone on another board made the point that Wang's going to look at 30 goal scorer Gaborik's $4m+salary,then ask why pay Gaborik that much when he's got an $800,000 ex-30 goal scorer in Chow.

and while Gaborik's age/upside make him preferable to Chow,I don't see Wang giving the green light to adding a $4m player.
Sounds like someone's quoting Larry Brooks in his infamous column last summer where Wang (supposedly) said if teams with low payrolls can have success in the playoffsl why can't the Isles do the same with a lower payroll?

Brooks goes on to say the Isles will cut the payroll to twenty million and that they are shipwrecked again.

Wrong again, Mr Brooks. Isles increased payroll and kept everyone, time for some updated material.

I do not know what Wang would tell Milbury if he wanted to make a deal that added payroll. I do not see him restricting Milbury if it makes the team better and the salaries in a deal are close to the same.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Sounds like someone's quoting Larry Brooks in his infamous column last summer where Wang (supposedly) said if teams with low payrolls can have success in the playoffsl why can't the Isles do the same with a lower payroll?

Brooks goes on to say the Isles will cut the payroll to twenty million and that they are shipwrecked again.

Wrong again, Mr Brooks. Isles increased payroll and kept everyone, time for some updated material.

I do not know what Wang would tell Milbury if he wanted to make a deal that added payroll. I do not see him restricting Milbury if it makes the team better and the salaries in a deal are close to the same.
Brooks wasn't the only hockey writer saying the isles were trying to dump salary last summer.He was the only one using that $20m figure.

Several days ago Hahn wrote about Milbury trying to dump salary during the summer,then backing off after finding a very weak trade market.

I don't see him adding a $4m player when the isles are losing money and they have several key rfas to sign this summer:Hamrlik,Niinimaa,Aucoin,Scatchard,Parrish.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:29 AM
blitzkriegs

If MN would entertain the idea of trading Gaborik, they would probably want any returning salary to fit under their offer to Gaborik.

Gaborik's agent are taking the wrong stance on this. (requesting a BASE salary that combines his preivous base with achieved bonuses). I like that MN is holding firm that the two are separate and his 'new' base should not be calculated on those figures. A great example of the salary escalation of 1st rounders.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
I don't see him adding a $4m player when the isles are losing money and they have several key rfas to sign this summer:Hamrlik,Niinimaa,Aucoin,Scatchard,Parrish.
I agree with this completely.

If the Isles were to try a trade you would bet that at least one (Parrish) of those players would be involved. Perhaps Parrish, Scatchard + to get Gaborik. With the + being of signifigant value.

-Tiki

Old
10-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Wang, as a $ guy, not a hockey guy, has every right to ask that question. It would be Milbury's job to provide a succinct convincing answer. Which should be easy. If MM can't do it, I'm sure many of us here can.

Gaborik would make the Isles contenders. Today. It's really a crime if he gets put on the trading block (very unlikely, IMO) and NYI isn't interested. Not saying you are not correct Crew ($), just saying that it would be a crime. It's the difference between being a nice NHL team and an annual Cup threat.

Scatchard, Parrish, Martinek and #1 for Gaborik.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:53 AM
disles1

This goes to my point about wang not spending the "extra" money it takes to be a cup contender. Parrish, Weinhandl and a #1 should be enough to get Gaborik. If he is going to be traded the isles should atleast inquire about him. If the isles did get him they would contend EVERY YEAR!!!!

Old
10-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Scatchard, Parrish, Martinek and #1 for Gaborik. [/QUOTE]

I agree that it would take a lot to get him, but that may be a bit much.

This thing will be over by the time Scatch is healthy, I think. So, Parrish, Wiemer, Weinhandl (he should be good to play in a week or so) and a great prospect or pick ought to do it. Parrish would replace some of the lost scoring. I think Weinhandl might be of some use in that dept as well. Wiemer is a bonafide cruncher and the pick would help in the future. A high price, for sure, but a great great player coming back.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I actually think my offer would be too little from the Wild's point of view.

Regarding your offer, Weimer is a lesser player than Scatchard. The Wild would want a Dman, most definitely, so it would likley be Martinek or Bruno G., assuming they want affordability and (potential) quality.

Other concern here in these ficticious deals is $, which would actually work out pretty evenly with the players we've mentioned.

Closed Thread