HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby reaches 80 points, best production ever for a 18 years old

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
  #101
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
Dude, how about you just gettign OWNED!!!

Gretzky started his NHL career at 18 years of age. When he started his first, last, and only WHA season, he was 17.

Buddy, you just got OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever year he came in, the league still counted it as his second. Hence the no rookie of the year award.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
  #102
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Crosby is such an awesome player, I wish he was on the Habs, we came so close. The guy must be the smartest 18 year old to play in years, he's smarter on the ice then 90% of veterans. He's so good a player its not even funny. He does all the little things well and all the big things even better.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
  #103
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
Gretzky started his "rookie" year as an 18 year old but was 19 by season's end. So I'm assuming if a player turns 19 during the season, he doesn't count? Cause Wayned ended the season with 137 points

Wayne played in the WHA, a professional league, thus killing his rookie status back then. From what i remember from people.

vcx* is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
  #104
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye!
To be fair there is a league-wide fan conspiracy against the Penguins because everyone is jealous that Jean-Claude van Damme decided to save Mellon Arena instead of their home rinks.
To be fair the penguins do always beat the caps. So i can understand your need to constantly make sarcastic remarks towards them.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
  #105
albertGQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
Whatever year he came in, the league still counted it as his second. Hence the no rookie of the year award.
We're not talknig about 1st or 2nd pro year. We are talking about how old he was when he started his NHL career.

albertGQ is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
  #106
albertGQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Wayne played in the WHA, a professional league, thus killing his rookie status back then. From what i remember from people.
That was bogus. Just another way the NHL took a jab at the players that chose to go to the WHA. Wayne wasn't a rookie, but a 32 year old Sergie Makarov who was an All Star for over a decade in the Soviet Union???

Give me a break

albertGQ is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
  #107
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
And if there was an All Star game this year Crosby would have been the youngest to ever play in an All Star game. Or maybe u think he wouldn't make it.
Neither of us can say for certain if he would have made it or not. He didn't make team Canada though. Sid certainly wouldn't have been a no-brainer selection to the game, although if it was just a popularity contest he'd have been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Time will tell if Ovechkin has staying power. I'll celebrate his career when he's got 1,000 points, until then I'm not ready to induct him into the HHOF.
I feel the same about AO... only difference between the two imo is the amount of hype around Sid.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
  #108
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Crosby is such an awesome player, I wish he was on the Habs, we came so close. The guy must be the smartest 18 year old to play in years, he's smarter on the ice then 90% of veterans. He's so good a player its not even funny. He does all the little things well and all the big things even better.
90% of veterans? MAYBE 90% of players who have been in the league less than 3 years. MAYBE 50% of veterans, but only because there are so many more.

detredWINgs is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
  #109
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
That was bogus. Just another way the NHL took a jab at the players that chose to go to the WHA. Wayne wasn't a rookie, but a 32 year old Sergie Makarov who was an All Star for over a decade in the Soviet Union???

Give me a break
Agreed, it was bogus. To the point, Gretzky holds the official NHL rookie scoring record... they just denied him the Calder.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
  #110
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
We're not talknig about 1st or 2nd pro year. We are talking about how old he was when he started his NHL career.
I dont know who the "we" are i thought this thread was about Crosby. Who is in his first season.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
  #111
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
To be fair the penguins do always beat the caps. So i can understand your need to constantly make sarcastic remarks towards them.
Actually I make sarcastic comments because annoys highly strung people that can't take a joke. Your post is case in point.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
  #112
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Neither of us can say for certain if he would have made it or not. He didn't make team Canada though. Sid certainly wouldn't have been a no-brainer selection to the game, although if it was just a popularity contest he'd have been in.



I feel the same about AO... only difference between the two imo is the amount of hype around Sid.
Fair enough. But considering the attendance around the league for the penguins away games. I dont feel like looking up the stats. People around the league are fans of his. They are not like this board where people find every way possible to hate him.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
  #113
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Neither of us can say for certain if he would have made it or not. He didn't make team Canada though. Sid certainly wouldn't have been a no-brainer selection to the game, although if it was just a popularity contest he'd have been in.
Considering each team gets a representative, he would have been a no-brainer. Even outside that rule he would have been a no-brainer.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
  #114
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs
People talking about Hawerchuk yet no one mentioned Mario Lemieux scoring 100 points in only 73 games in his rookie season at age 18? He finished barely out of the top ten (10th had 102 points) and was even younger than Crosby is. Anyway, here's hoping Sid can add another 20 points before the season is over.
Im pretty sure Lemieux was 19 his rookie season.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
  #115
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
I dont know who the "we" are i thought this thread was about Crosby. Who is in his first season.
Here comes the message board police firing blanks.

The thread title says something about "best production ever for a 18 years old."

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
  #116
sparr0w
Registered User
 
sparr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,376
vCash: 500
Actually he was almost a full year OLDER than Crosby. He was 19 from October 5th on in his rookie year.

sparr0w is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
  #117
albertGQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
I dont know who the "we" are i thought this thread was about Crosby. Who is in his first season.
"we" as in all posters. We are not talking about Crosby's first season either. If we were just talking about first season, then this thread would not even be valid cause AO is in his first season and his numbers blow Sid's out of the water. So "we" are talking about 18 year olds. Hence my point that Gretzky started his NHL career as an 18 year old was correct. That Nazzy poster claimed he was 19 and tried to "own" another poster when in fact he got "owned"

albertGQ is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
  #118
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Crosby leeches off Colby Armstrong...

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:16 PM
  #119
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye!
Here comes the message board police firing blanks.

The thread title says something about "best production ever for a 18 years old."
Obviously the thread was meant as an 18 yr old rookie. No one in their right mind would compare him to Gretzky. Off you go now.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
  #120
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
90% of veterans? MAYBE 90% of players who have been in the league less than 3 years. MAYBE 50% of veterans, but only because there are so many more.
He's better then 100% of the players in his own team. He is one of the smartest players to have come in the league. Bergeron was being touted like that, but Crosby is miles ahead of him at a younger age and in all ends of the rink. He's a special player and its too bad people would rather vomit crap about who's better between Ovechkin and him rather then make idols of both.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
  #121
ShadowFax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
"we" as in all posters. We are not talking about Crosby's first season either. If we were just talking about first season, then this thread would not even be valid cause AO is in his first season and his numbers blow Sid's out of the water. So "we" are talking about 18 year olds. Hence my point that Gretzky started his NHL career as an 18 year old was correct. That Nazzy poster claimed he was 19 and tried to "own" another poster when in fact he got "owned"
Like i said to Bullseye. The thread was probably meant to say 18 year old rookie. Because Crosby does not come close to Gretzky. And i was saying Gretzky wasn't a "rookie" at 18. So my point stands.

ShadowFax is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
  #122
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Considering each team gets a representative, he would have been a no-brainer. Even outside that rule he would have been a no-brainer.
I disagree. Forsberg, Staal, Savard and Spezza all could have made it ahead of him at center. And as I said, he didn't make team Canada for the Olympics. This is one of those things that can be debated to no end, we'll just never know.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
  #123
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
He's better then 100% of the players in his own team. He is one of the smartest players to have come in the league. Bergeron was being touted like that, but Crosby is miles ahead of him at a younger age and in all ends of the rink. He's a special player and its too bad people would rather vomit crap about who's better between Ovechkin and him rather then make idols of both.

Yeah, talking about hockey on hfboards is getting pointless now. People just find ways to hate this or that player.

vcx* is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
  #124
albertGQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
Like i said to Bullseye. The thread was probably meant to say 18 year old rookie. Because Crosby does not come close to Gretzky. And i was saying Gretzky wasn't a "rookie" at 18. So my point stands.
It meant to say this, it meant to say that. Whatever, it didnt' say rookie. The Nazzy poster said Gretzky was 19 when he started his NHL career, he was wrong.

And although Gretzky wasn't a "rookie" when he started his NHL career, it didnt count as his second year. It was still considered his first year

albertGQ is offline  
Old
03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
  #125
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
Im pretty sure Lemieux was 19 his rookie season.
Yeah I immediately noticed that I misread his birthdate. And you saw it before I deleted it. You've shown more awareness than the guy in your avatar.

Burgs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.