HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby reaches 80 points, best production ever for a 18 years old

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
ShadowFax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
Dude, how about you just gettign OWNED!!!

Gretzky started his NHL career at 18 years of age. When he started his first, last, and only WHA season, he was 17.

Buddy, you just got OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever year he came in, the league still counted it as his second. Hence the no rookie of the year award.

Old
03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Habsaku

Crosby is such an awesome player, I wish he was on the Habs, we came so close. The guy must be the smartest 18 year old to play in years, he's smarter on the ice then 90% of veterans. He's so good a player its not even funny. He does all the little things well and all the big things even better.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Gretzky started his "rookie" year as an 18 year old but was 19 by season's end. So I'm assuming if a player turns 19 during the season, he doesn't count? Cause Wayned ended the season with 137 points

Wayne played in the WHA, a professional league, thus killing his rookie status back then. From what i remember from people.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
ShadowFax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye!
To be fair there is a league-wide fan conspiracy against the Penguins because everyone is jealous that Jean-Claude van Damme decided to save Mellon Arena instead of their home rinks.
To be fair the penguins do always beat the caps. So i can understand your need to constantly make sarcastic remarks towards them.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
albertGQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFax
Whatever year he came in, the league still counted it as his second. Hence the no rookie of the year award.
We're not talknig about 1st or 2nd pro year. We are talking about how old he was when he started his NHL career.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
albertGQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Wayne played in the WHA, a professional league, thus killing his rookie status back then. From what i remember from people.
That was bogus. Just another way the NHL took a jab at the players that chose to go to the WHA. Wayne wasn't a rookie, but a 32 year old Sergie Makarov who was an All Star for over a decade in the Soviet Union???

Give me a break

Old
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
doublejack

Quote:
And if there was an All Star game this year Crosby would have been the youngest to ever play in an All Star game. Or maybe u think he wouldn't make it.
Neither of us can say for certain if he would have made it or not. He didn't make team Canada though. Sid certainly wouldn't have been a no-brainer selection to the game, although if it was just a popularity contest he'd have been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Time will tell if Ovechkin has staying power. I'll celebrate his career when he's got 1,000 points, until then I'm not ready to induct him into the HHOF.
I feel the same about AO... only difference between the two imo is the amount of hype around Sid.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Crosby is such an awesome player, I wish he was on the Habs, we came so close. The guy must be the smartest 18 year old to play in years, he's smarter on the ice then 90% of veterans. He's so good a player its not even funny. He does all the little things well and all the big things even better.
90% of veterans? MAYBE 90% of players who have been in the league less than 3 years. MAYBE 50% of veterans, but only because there are so many more.

Old
doublejack

Quote:
That was bogus. Just another way the NHL took a jab at the players that chose to go to the WHA. Wayne wasn't a rookie, but a 32 year old Sergie Makarov who was an All Star for over a decade in the Soviet Union???

Give me a break
Agreed, it was bogus. To the point, Gretzky holds the official NHL rookie scoring record... they just denied him the Calder.

Old
ShadowFax

Quote:
We're not talknig about 1st or 2nd pro year. We are talking about how old he was when he started his NHL career.
I dont know who the "we" are i thought this thread was about Crosby. Who is in his first season.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
To be fair the penguins do always beat the caps. So i can understand your need to constantly make sarcastic remarks towards them.
Actually I make sarcastic comments because annoys highly strung people that can't take a joke. Your post is case in point.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
ShadowFax

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Neither of us can say for certain if he would have made it or not. He didn't make team Canada though. Sid certainly wouldn't have been a no-brainer selection to the game, although if it was just a popularity contest he'd have been in.

I feel the same about AO... only difference between the two imo is the amount of hype around Sid.
Fair enough. But considering the attendance around the league for the penguins away games. I dont feel like looking up the stats. People around the league are fans of his. They are not like this board where people find every way possible to hate him.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Considering each team gets a representative, he would have been a no-brainer. Even outside that rule he would have been a no-brainer.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
ShadowFax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs
People talking about Hawerchuk yet no one mentioned Mario Lemieux scoring 100 points in only 73 games in his rookie season at age 18? He finished barely out of the top ten (10th had 102 points) and was even younger than Crosby is. Anyway, here's hoping Sid can add another 20 points before the season is over.
Im pretty sure Lemieux was 19 his rookie season.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
I dont know who the "we" are i thought this thread was about Crosby. Who is in his first season.
Here comes the message board police firing blanks.

The thread title says something about "best production ever for a 18 years old."

Old
sparr0w

Actually he was almost a full year OLDER than Crosby. He was 19 from October 5th on in his rookie year.

Old
albertGQ

Quote:
"we" as in all posters. We are not talking about Crosby's first season either. If we were just talking about first season, then this thread would not even be valid cause AO is in his first season and his numbers blow Sid's out of the water. So "we" are talking about 18 year olds. Hence my point that Gretzky started his NHL career as an 18 year old was correct. That Nazzy poster claimed he was 19 and tried to "own" another poster when in fact he got "owned"

Old
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Crosby leeches off Colby Armstrong...

Old
03-27-2006, 04:16 PM
ShadowFax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye!
Here comes the message board police firing blanks.

The thread title says something about "best production ever for a 18 years old."
Obviously the thread was meant as an 18 yr old rookie. No one in their right mind would compare him to Gretzky. Off you go now.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
90% of veterans? MAYBE 90% of players who have been in the league less than 3 years. MAYBE 50% of veterans, but only because there are so many more.
He's better then 100% of the players in his own team. He is one of the smartest players to have come in the league. Bergeron was being touted like that, but Crosby is miles ahead of him at a younger age and in all ends of the rink. He's a special player and its too bad people would rather vomit crap about who's better between Ovechkin and him rather then make idols of both.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
ShadowFax

Quote:
"we" as in all posters. We are not talking about Crosby's first season either. If we were just talking about first season, then this thread would not even be valid cause AO is in his first season and his numbers blow Sid's out of the water. So "we" are talking about 18 year olds. Hence my point that Gretzky started his NHL career as an 18 year old was correct. That Nazzy poster claimed he was 19 and tried to "own" another poster when in fact he got "owned"
Like i said to Bullseye. The thread was probably meant to say 18 year old rookie. Because Crosby does not come close to Gretzky. And i was saying Gretzky wasn't a "rookie" at 18. So my point stands.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Considering each team gets a representative, he would have been a no-brainer. Even outside that rule he would have been a no-brainer.
I disagree. Forsberg, Staal, Savard and Spezza all could have made it ahead of him at center. And as I said, he didn't make team Canada for the Olympics. This is one of those things that can be debated to no end, we'll just never know.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
He's better then 100% of the players in his own team. He is one of the smartest players to have come in the league. Bergeron was being touted like that, but Crosby is miles ahead of him at a younger age and in all ends of the rink. He's a special player and its too bad people would rather vomit crap about who's better between Ovechkin and him rather then make idols of both.

Yeah, talking about hockey on hfboards is getting pointless now. People just find ways to hate this or that player.

Old
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
albertGQ

Quote:
Like i said to Bullseye. The thread was probably meant to say 18 year old rookie. Because Crosby does not come close to Gretzky. And i was saying Gretzky wasn't a "rookie" at 18. So my point stands.
It meant to say this, it meant to say that. Whatever, it didnt' say rookie. The Nazzy poster said Gretzky was 19 when he started his NHL career, he was wrong.

And although Gretzky wasn't a "rookie" when he started his NHL career, it didnt count as his second year. It was still considered his first year

Old
03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Im pretty sure Lemieux was 19 his rookie season.
Yeah I immediately noticed that I misread his birthdate. And you saw it before I deleted it. You've shown more awareness than the guy in your avatar.

Closed Thread