HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phone Booth energy(lack there of)

Old
06-04-2017, 10:08 AM
WIN296
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Phone Booth energy(lack there of)

I sincerely hope Caps fans were watching the Preds game and learnt something about team support. Last night showed how you support your team in the postseason. That we are louder bit under BB against the Islanders wasn't even close, it fell far short of what we saw in Nashville last night. Personally I haven't heard anything that comes remotely close since the spring of '98. This spring I got yelled at to sit down in the last 30 seconds of the 3rd in game 5 of Caps vs Leafs while the idiots behind me were sitting on their hands. Zero energy is/was coming out of the crowd.

WIN296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 10:13 AM
hockeykicker

probably missed the rangers series then

hockeykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
When I came down to Washington to watch game 2, the place erupted for Ovechkin's PPG and Backstrom's game tying goal, but other than that the crowd was too nervous in OT, it was super silent in there.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 12:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Fans are infected with doubt too.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 12:04 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Without Ovi hitting/scoring, its largely the horn and let's go cap guy leading the cheers. Which isn't much at all. C A P S caps caps caps.... zzz.

Hearing the pens fans chanting holtby in our barn, yet not drowned out by our fans, was painful.

We need to upgrade the organist/music big time. Unleash the fury much more than once late in the third. How about in the first?

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Fans are infected with doubt too.
I got roasted here last time I said that. If you pay $200 to watch a game, you cheer them hard win or lose. I never understood the people that just sit back, say nothing and leave early if the team is losing by a significant margin.

Old
06-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN296 View Post
I sincerely hope Caps fans were watching the Preds game and learnt something about team support. Last night showed how you support your team in the postseason. That we are louder bit under BB against the Islanders wasn't even close, it fell far short of what we saw in Nashville last night. Personally I haven't heard anything that comes remotely close since the spring of '98. This spring I got yelled at to sit down in the last 30 seconds of the 3rd in game 5 of Caps vs Leafs while the idiots behind me were sitting on their hands. Zero energy is/was coming out of the crowd.
Our fanbase is super apathetic, just look at our GDTs

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

Me thinks playing in a SCF has something to do with the level of energy in Nashville.

Not that it's not a great hockey town, but to compare their first ever SCF game to our general output is extremely unfair.

I also can't help but notice folks taking umbrage with the experience are out of towners. I can understand why you might be miffed at the lack of energy in the VC during a playoff series (although I think that really depends on the series), but keep in mind that probably a good 70% of the people around you have seen this show before. Frankly, you can't expect the fans to be amped for first/second round matchups every season when the team themselves can't get over that hill.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 01:53 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Our fanbase is super apathetic, just look at our GDTs
Apathetic in what sense? Fans are simply tired of perennial disappointment and now expect the worst when it comes to the playoffs. The anxiety and impending sense of doom is palpable. It's entirely unrealistic to expect people to come back year after year to the "get punched in the face and gut" line with as much enthusiasm as they had before. We're now going on 40 years without even so much as having won a single game in the SCF, the current generation of Caps stars looks like it'll come and go without delivering any meaningful hardware, and people want to blame the fans for not being as pumped about the team as they think they should?

Oh, and by the way, I have family in both Nashville and San Jose who are big hockey fans. Both groups said that the energy in the building and city once their team got over the hump was unlike anything they've ever seen or felt. The Caps get past the second round and I guarantee the Phone Booth will be the same. People aren't going to get excited until the Caps give them something to get excited about... that's just the reality of the situation.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 02:33 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

40 years of failure because we don't cheer and love our team enough.

Did I wake up today in a My Little Pony cartoon?

06-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Apathetic in what sense? Fans are simply tired of perennial disappointment and now expect the worst when it comes to the playoffs. The anxiety and impending sense of doom is palpable. It's entirely unrealistic to expect people to come back year after year to the "get punched in the face and gut" line with as much enthusiasm as they had before. We're now going on 40 years without even so much as having won a single game in the SCF, the current generation of Caps stars looks like it'll come and go without delivering any meaningful hardware, and people want to blame the fans for not being as pumped about the team as they think they should?

Oh, and by the way, I have family in both Nashville and San Jose who are big hockey fans. Both groups said that the energy in the building and city once their team got over the hump was unlike anything they've ever seen or felt. The Caps get past the second round and I guarantee the Phone Booth will be the same. People aren't going to get excited until the Caps give them something to get excited about... that's just the reality of the situation.
Maybe we take hockey too seriously? To quote the great Ilya Bryzgalov:

Old
06-04-2017, 03:15 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
Maybe we take hockey too seriously? To quote the great Ilya Bryzgalov:
No doubt. It is a sport, after all, and sports are part of the entertainment business. The fact that it's only a sport helps explain why people will be rabid when the going is good and will find other things to spend their time, energy, and money on when it's not as good. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Old
06-04-2017, 04:02 PM
ovikovy817

Well for an european soccer fan like me, it's very painful to watch hockey fans in the NHL. "Fan" comes from "fanatic", and it kills me, when I hear the same "let's go team in 30 arenas. When you can barely differentiate if the public chant "let's go sens" or "let's go pens".

It's seems they are like robots. Cheering after a goal/big hit/a wonderful save for 30 seconds with "let's go team" or "the name of the goalie" and then, they're back to their routine, just watching the game in the silence.

And another thing I don't like, (as an "european soccer fan") it's hearing quote's like "we need to past 2nd round to hear the fans", "if we make to the SCF, the fans will be loud". With quotes like that you can think that the fans are just bandwagons fans. They're here, only if the team has success.
I have another vision of fans, you're with the team, you support, you cheer on in every moments, in good moments AND in bad moments.
The "we win together, we lose together" for me it includes not only players/coaches, but also the fans.

ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 06:52 PM
ReggietheSavage15

Better in-arena music would help...and also maybe ditching the Rock the Red/Release the Fury themes...try something new.

ReggietheSavage15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2017, 07:46 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
Well for an european ....
Great post. It is odd - in every arena it's the most basic of chants for hockey fans. Lets go.... to sleep.

What is the USA chant for international futbol... God Bless America? I do love the different songs heard while watching futbol, and am jealous we have close to nothing for the USA.

Fans barely even sing our national anthem. It didn't used to be this way ~25 years ago.

DC is a transient town so we do have a lot of fan turnover, which is a factor. Also a factor, Ovi and the boys effort, including no more fighting, hitting and rough play is all but gone, all of which used to rile up the crowd, sometimes as much as goals.

Old
06-04-2017, 10:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
I got roasted here last time I said that. If you pay $200 to watch a game, you cheer them hard win or lose. I never understood the people that just sit back, say nothing and leave early if the team is losing by a significant margin.
It's true IMO. if we're ahead and scoring it's all good. When the Caps are behind, the home fans are a mess.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 07:50 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
Well for an european soccer fan like me, it's very painful to watch hockey fans in the NHL. "Fan" comes from "fanatic", and it kills me, when I hear the same "let's go team in 30 arenas. When you can barely differentiate if the public chant "let's go sens" or "let's go pens".

It's seems they are like robots. Cheering after a goal/big hit/a wonderful save for 30 seconds with "let's go team" or "the name of the goalie" and then, they're back to their routine, just watching the game in the silence.

And another thing I don't like, (as an "european soccer fan") it's hearing quote's like "we need to past 2nd round to hear the fans", "if we make to the SCF, the fans will be loud". With quotes like that you can think that the fans are just bandwagons fans. They're here, only if the team has success.
I have another vision of fans, you're with the team, you support, you cheer on in every moments, in good moments AND in bad moments.
The "we win together, we lose together" for me it includes not only players/coaches, but also the fans.
I get you're saying. I think the big difference is that for many European soccer clubs, that club is the only sporting fixture in town. The entire city rallies around that one team playing that one sport. In the US most major cities have three or four big teams playing different big money sports. If one team in one sport isn't doing well most casual fans just don't pay that much attention because another team's season is either already going on or about to start. Fandom is more of a choice in the US rather than the birthright or right of passage that it is in Europe.

Old
06-05-2017, 08:01 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

There is no way people who have been let down for so many years can be expected to keep up elite levels of intensity for every minute of every game. But it would be nice to see our fans kick it up a notch in the playoffs.

That's still not why we lose, though.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:14 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
The demeanor of the fans in Verizon reflect the team on the ice.

Change the demeanor/culture of the team and the fans will follow. Simple.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

European soccer teams get about 20 home games a year, a large share of which are against teams they have history with going back longer than most of the NHL teams have been in existence. I think the reduced amount of scoring chances and time between big moments all beg for those stretches to be filled with something.

I also think the repeated gut punches have something to do with it too for the Caps specifically. In 2008, when Ovi scored the game winner against the Flyers, it was super loud. The loudest I've ever heard it in there. 10 years of face plants later has fans expecting the worst. It's a bit unfair to compare against a team in its first SCF.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:49 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Opposition fans take over both our soccer and American Football arena, with alarming frequency. And are often louder. Have Caps or Skins ever done that at even 1 opposition arena? It's more than just the number of games. It seems like Sabres fans have made it to DC, and they suck more than we do. I have heard some allege DC fans are "fair weather" fans.

Pertaining to hockey alone, events that cause cheering have diminished. Fights used to get almost everyone out of their seats, most cheering as long as our Kaminski or Bradley weren't getting pummeled. Lucky for us - we always had guys good with their dukes. The ooohs and ahhs during long fights were loud. Cheering after a fight won vs a punk that needed it, were as loud as goal cheers.

Scrums used to be common place, and now are a rarity. That got the blood flowing, for both players and fans. Hitting does the same. Gone, it's all gone.

There simply isn't enough goal scoring to fill the void. Mario's vision of a wide open high scoring game was squashed by huge goalies and the couches on their legs, that we call pillows.

Old
06-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Some chants that should have happened during Game 7 against the Pens.

"Up the side-wall!" *clap clap clapclapclap*
"Blue line turn-over!" *clap clap clapclapclap*
"Stop that break-away!" *clap clap clapclapclap*
"G-O-A-L score a goal!"

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Opposition fans take over both our soccer and American Football arena, with alarming frequency. And are often louder. Have Caps or Skins ever done that at even 1 opposition arena?
Caps fans used to take over Nassau when the Islanders were terrible and tickets were cheap. Went up there for a couple weekend games (got 2nd row tickets for like $50), and the stadium was about 40% Caps fans (and we were decidedly the louder portion of the crowd).

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 09:03 AM
twabby

Caps fans do a decent job in Tampa Bay every time I go to a game but so does almost every other fanbase because of snowbirds and transplants.

twabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 10:00 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Ah ok I stand corrected. I listen to cheers on TV, which is a dead giveaway as to road team fan energy / fan count.

CSN always finds a few fans in the stands to show, but it doesn't mean much. Folk from DC parts move out and about (get the money and run), and so think we as a city tend to have more fans out of town, compared to most all teams from most all our sports. Dallas Cowboys of NFL fame, aside.