HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2017 NHL Entry Draft: Part V

View Poll Results: 61.2% of you voted for Hieskanen. Do you expect Avs to draft a defender that high?
Yes, without a doubt. 13 14.13%
Yes, but I do have concerns. 22 23.91%
Yes, but I'm fine with any prospect regardless of position. 13 14.13%
No, but I'm fine with any prospect regardless of position. 24 26.09%
No, but Avs will be making the wrong choice. 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2017, 10:52 AM
StayAtHomeAv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
That's not even a scout or one of these "experts". That dude is just some random journalist.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:26 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
I really, really hope we draft D-man with or first pick. Would be great if we fiished with Heiskanen and then Foote for a pick from Duchene trade (if it happens). I think we are desperate to have some home-grown d-men.
If we draft Heiskanen why would we need Foote as well? Zads & Meloche are more exciting, and Bigras has similar upside. With Heiskanen as well there's our top 4 even without a Duchene or Landeskog trade.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
If we draft Heiskanen why would we need Foote as well? Zads & Meloche are more exciting, and Bigras has similar upside. With Heiskanen as well there's our top 4 even without a Duchene or Landeskog trade.
Assets. Teams like Carolina can supposedly trade for anyone in the world right now because their D prospects are so valuable. Hell, Chabot and Sergachev are so valuable their GM's wont even trade them for a 1C.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:31 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think Vilardi is more of a wing personally, but a team will likely try to develop him as a center. If he can develop there, his value goes through the roof. Big, smart, 2 way centers don't grow on trees.

I wouldn't get too attached to Vilardi, rumors are out there that he isn't the Avs' guy at 4. They are just rumors and around this time of the year, it just could be smokescreen... I just wouldn't pin hopes on the Avs selecting him.
Well that really sucks. I think he can be a center at he next level but that is just me.

I really want one of Heiskanen or Vilardi from the guys we realistically might pick. Think personally that those two are a step above the rest.

So it looks like I will be disappointed once again.

Oh well. Add Heiskanen/Vilardi to the list of Larsson, Jones, Werenski/Provorov (still hate that we had to win those games late in the season) and Chychrun....

I am assuming you are alluding to Glass (heard some very unreliable rumors that the Avs might like him) or maybe even a player I like even less...

EDIT:

To add to the ongoing discussion:

I wouldn't take Foote in the 1st round. If he drops to #32 then fine. Take him. But IMO not earlier.

Last edited by JoemAvs; 06-05-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Old
06-05-2017, 11:32 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Assets. Teams like Carolina can supposedly trade for anyone in the world right now because their D prospects are so valuable. Hell, Chabot and Sergachev are so valuable their GM's wont even trade them for a 1C.
Foote is no Chabot, Hanifin or Sergachev though. If he had that type of upside that'd be one thing, but he doesn't have the upside Zads does, and he's got a lot of work to do to even pass Meloche.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:38 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Well that really sucks. I think he can be a center at he next level but that is just me.

I really want one of Heiskanen or Vilardi from the guys we realistically might pick. Think personally that those two are a step above the rest.

So it looks like I will be disappointed once again.

Oh well. Add Heiskanen/Vilardi to the list of Larsson, Jones, Werenski/Provorov (still hate that we had to win those games late in the season) and Chychrun....

I am assuming you are alluding to Glass (heard some very unreliable rumors that the Avs might like him) or maybe even a player I like even less...
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard the Avs may not have Vilardi high up their board. However, there does seem to be a cluster that has formed of the players immediately after the top-2 that realistically could go anywhere from 3 down to around 10. Sure, you'll have players who are usually seen at the top of that cluster (like Heiskanen, Vilardi, Mittelstadt) and others toward the lower end of that cluster (Valimaki might be one, Liljegren another), but in that middle we're seeing players like Glass, Makar, and Tippett just sort of hanging out, having the ability to move up or down in that cluster.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
Old
06-05-2017, 11:39 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I'll be in the minority, but I'd take Foote over Sergachev without thinking twice. Foote has really become underrated here as a prospect.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
Foote is no Chabot, Hanifin or Sergachev though. If he had that type of upside that'd be one thing, but he doesn't have the upside Zads does, and he's got a lot of work to do to even pass Meloche.
I just mean drafting defense in general.

Chabot didn't have that type of upside at the time either. Nor did people like Klefbom, Slavin or Skjej.

I'm not saying we should draft Foote at that pick because he has that type of upside. I'm saying we should draft defense because they're valuable. The top 1 or 2 defenseman picked each year rarely end up being the top defenseman drafted.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
I'll be in the minority, but I'd take Foote over Sergachev without thinking twice. Foote has really become underrated here as a prospect.
I wouldn't take him before Sergachev but I agree that he has become really underrated. I'd have no issue taking him anywhere after pick 7 or 8.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:47 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I wouldn't take him before Sergachev but I agree that he has become really underrated. I'd have no issue taking him anywhere after pick 7 or 8.
TBF I'm just not a fan of Sergachev in general. I see way too many issues with his game for him to transition well. Good prospect, but I really don't get the hype behind him.

Old
06-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Pacman33

Im really starting to get the feeling we will take glass. Not any inside info or anything just a hunch

Old
06-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
I think Vilardi is more of a wing personally, but a team will likely try to develop him as a center. If he can develop there, his value goes through the roof. Big, smart, 2 way centers don't grow on trees.

I wouldn't get too attached to Vilardi, rumors are out there that he isn't the Avs' guy at 4. They are just rumors and around this time of the year, it just could be smokescreen... I just wouldn't pin hopes on the Avs selecting him.
Any rumors regarding some names that the Avs are high on?

Old
06-05-2017, 12:01 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
TBF I'm just not a fan of Sergachev in general. I see way too many issues with his game for him to transition well. Good prospect, but I really don't get the hype behind him.
Size, strength, skating, skills, creativity with the puck, shot; Sergachev just oozes potential. His style of play may not work in the NHL, and he looks like he's just coasting at times; but the tools for greatness are all there. That's where the hype behind Serg comes from.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Ararana

vCash: 966
Quote:
That an interesting opinion. What is it about Foote you like so much?

Old
06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Any rumors regarding some names that the Avs are high on?
There are... pretty much the names you'd expect. Take out Vilardi and look at the other names around 4.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:07 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Size, strength, skating, skills, creativity with the puck, shot; Sergachev just oozes potential. His style of play may not work in the NHL, and he looks like he's just coasting at times; but the tools for greatness are all there. That's where the hype behind Serg comes from.
He oozes trainwreck to me too. All tools, lack of a toolbox and there needs to be serious maturation in his game (along with his work ethic coming around). I fully understand why people like him, but I'm seriously not that high on him. He is going to be a very frustrating player because there will be stretches where it looks like it will click and others where you say WTF constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararana View Post
That an interesting opinion. What is it about Foote you like so much?
It is less about Foote than Sergachev, but I don't think there is much to dislike about Foote's game. He just isn't flashy and dynamic... it isn't in his skill set and likely never will be.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
There are... pretty much the names you'd expect. Take out Vilardi and look at the other names around 4.
Hmmm....could be a fairly large number around 4 in this draft....Heiskanen, Glass, Tippett, Mittlestadt, Makar, Rasmussen.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:10 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Hmmm....could be a fairly large number around 4 in this draft....Heiskanen, Glass, Tippett, Mittlestadt, Makar, Rasmussen.
The bolded are not really around 4 much, especially Rasmussen.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:10 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
He oozes trainwreck to me too. All tools, lack of a toolbox and there needs to be serious maturation in his game (along with his work ethic coming around). I fully understand why people like him, but I'm seriously not that high on him. He is going to be a very frustrating player because there will be stretches where it looks like it will click and others where you say WTF constantly.
Who does he remind you of?

Old
06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Don't think you are in the minority. Plenty of fans want him on name value alone still .

I don't think he is bad. Not at all.

He probably should go in the 15-20 range. Don't see the toppairing potential personally but IMO a pretty decent bet to turn into a safe middle-pairing guy.

But I really don't want him as an Avalanche prospect. Don't think he can patiently develop the way he has to in order to be succesful in this environment given his family name. Especially if he is a big piece in a trade of our former face of the franchise.

For that reason alone I would take Timmins and a few others over him who IMO are close to his talent level (for the record I really like Timmins).

Oh yeah and I agree on Sergachev.

I think he might be able to get by as a offensive D to some degree but I also don't think he will be a top pairing guy.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Who does he remind you of?
From which standpoint? Boom/bust or style?

Old
06-05-2017, 12:17 PM
BoxOfChocolates

vCash: 1150
Anyone think the Avs might end up surprising us and taking Liljegren at 4? The Anders Carlsson thing is sticking with me.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:20 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Anyone think the Avs might end up surprising us and taking Liljegren at 4? The Anders Carlsson thing is sticking with me.
I might be Timothys biggest fan on here but I don't really see it.

I had some hope before the combine but 5'11.25 was very disappointing to me.

Had hoped that he would come in similar to Heiskanen at closer to 6ft1.

I still really like him and think he will be a steal if he goes after a certain number but the question marks are a bit too many for pick #4. Especially with guys like Heiskanen, Vilardi or unfortunately Glass sitting there (have a feeling he might be the guy they are targeting and I am not really happy about it).

The only way I see him on the Avs is if he drops to #12 and Sakic caves and deals Duchene to the Canes for a boatload of futures.

But I also think he will go in the 8-10 range so probably not happening either.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:

It is less about Foote than Sergachev, but I don't think there is much to dislike about Foote's game. He just isn't flashy and dynamic... it isn't in his skill set and likely never will be.
While the potential for it to go badly or take a long time to come together is certainly there; I think you're over-stating this. Though he's gunna have one hell of an adjustment to make, he'll be able to get away with some things normal players can't at the NHL level. Like Buff, and Burns before his recent jump to god-tier, he'll be frustrating at times and breathtaking at others; but even if he struggles it's not that unlikely for him to end up creating positive events for his team a lot more than he creates negative ones.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a true franchise #1, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he can top out better than EJ; which alongside Zadorov, Meloche, Bigras, and our 1st in either this or the 2018 draft, is more than enough talent for our defense to become a strength. Nevermind if it does all click and he becomes the bigger/stronger Subban that Habs fans are convinced he's certain to become.

Last edited by cgf; 06-05-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old
06-05-2017, 12:25 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
The bolded are not really around 4 much, especially Rasmussen.
Is Pettersson on the radar? Outside of Vilardi/Glast/Mittelstadt/Heiskanen, he's the kid who intrigues me enough to be able to see him in that spot.

Also can't help but wonder how hot for Heiskanen the organization is. A suped up Bigras sounds awesome, but I'm curious how the organization would feel about spending a top 5 pick on that. Do they see the next Keith or just a smaller JayBo?

Closed Thread