HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2017 NHL Entry Draft: Part V

View Poll Results: 61.2% of you voted for Hieskanen. Do you expect Avs to draft a defender that high?
Yes, without a doubt. 13 14.13%
Yes, but I do have concerns. 22 23.91%
Yes, but I'm fine with any prospect regardless of position. 13 14.13%
No, but I'm fine with any prospect regardless of position. 24 26.09%
No, but Avs will be making the wrong choice. 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2017, 12:26 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
From which standpoint? Boom/bust or style?
I meant kinda the former but by all means answer the latter too.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Pacman33

Quote:
The bolded are not really around 4 much, especially Rasmussen.
So if they dont like vilardi and its between heiskanen, mittelstadt and glass, whats everybodys order. Im going heiskanen because well obviously id prefer to go defenseman if they are close enough in talent. Middelstadt might have highest offensive ceiling. Glass just doesnt do it for me but seems like hes a very avs pick

Old
06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
While the potential for it to go badly or take a long time to come together is certainly there; I think you're over-stating this. Though he's gunna have one hell of an adjustment to make, he'll be able to get away with some things normal players can't at the NHL level. Like Buff, and Burns before his recent jump to god-tier, he'll be frustrating at times and breathtaking at others; but even if he struggles it's not that unlikely for him to end up creating positive events for his team a lot more than he creates negative ones.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a true franchise #1, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'll top out better than EJ; which alongside Zadorov, Meloche, Bigras, and our 1st in either this or the 2018 draft, is more than enough talent for our defense to become a strength. Nevermind if it does all click and he becomes the bigger/stronger Subban that Habs fans are convinced he's certain to become.
I don't see the consistency ever being there to be a #1. If he is a team's #1, I don't think that team would ever go anywhere because of that. I don't think he will put it all together for a number of years, and I think a team will give up on him before it clicks. When it does, I see a #2 sort at best. The tools are there, but I don't think the mental game will ever get to a high enough level. I know I'm not as high on him as others. I just see a ton of risk, and not enough upside. I'm more on the side of liking more cerebral defenders than toolsy ones though.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:31 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

I may tend to give guys who show offensive creativity more credit for their instincts than they may deserve, but I just don't see these massive issues with his mental game. There's work to be done even at his current level, and he'll have to adjust to playing against pro's/NHLer's, but I don't see this insurmountable weakness :/

Old
06-05-2017, 12:35 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Is Pettersson on the radar? Outside of Vilardi/Glast/Mittelstadt/Heiskanen, he's the kid who intrigues me enough to be able to see him in that spot.

Also can't help but wonder how hot for Heiskanen the organization is. A suped up Bigras sounds awesome, but I'm curious how the organization would feel about spending a top 5 pick on that. Do they see the next Keith or just a smaller JayBo?
I haven't heard Pettersson around that area, but this isn't concrete info by any means. Just the smoke around the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
I meant kinda the former but by all means answer the latter too.
Boom/bust... actually reminds me of Z a lot there. Has every tool you want, but you question the mental part and off the ice. Z has proven to be a hard worker, but that wasn't always the case with him. Sergachev could be the same there.

Style wise, the one I heard I liked the most was Gonchar.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:36 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
I may tend to give guys who show offensive creativity more credit for their instincts than they may deserve, but I just don't see these massive issues with his mental game. There's work to be done even at his current level, and he'll have to adjust to playing against pro's/NHLer's, but I don't see this insurmountable weakness :/
He will be a NHL player, and likely a solid one. I'd say him being a middle paring guy is fairly safe. I just don't see enough progress or ability in those areas to think he can be a #1 sort. I believe that if he does become a #2 level, he will still be a very frustrating player.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:44 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Boom/bust... actually reminds me of Z a lot there. Has every tool you want, but you question the mental part and off the ice. Z has proven to be a hard worker, but that wasn't always the case with him. Sergachev could be the same there.
Yeah, that sounds fair.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2346259

Anyone got any 6th and 7th round favorites?

Old
06-05-2017, 12:54 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Readying myself for Heiskanen or Mittelstadt at 4. I still think trading down makes a lot of sense, but the Avs have never shown much interest (or willingness) in that approach, so I doubt it happens.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Not sure why Mittelstadt is there but he is.

Old
06-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Wow I didn't realize Foote was one of the better kids tested at the agility/lateral test at the combine. That's impressive for a kid 6'4, 214 lbs. He also did really well in the V02MAX. Foote's biggest concern is his skating but this gives a pretty good indication that it's likely power and not foot speed which is much easier to work on.

I've compared Foote to a slightly worse skating, but much more skilled version of Brandon Carlo based on what I've seen come out of the W the last few years. If he improves that straight line skating he's going to be a damn good defenseman.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Wow I didn't realize Foote was one of the better kids tested at the agility/lateral test at the combine. That's impressive for a kid 6'4, 214 lbs. He also did really well in the V02MAX. Foote's biggest concern is his skating but this gives a pretty good indication that it's likely power and not foot speed which is much easier to work on.

I've compared Foote to a slightly worse skating, but much more skilled version of Brandon Carlo based on what I've seen come out of the W the last few years. If he improves that straight line skating he's going to be a damn good defenseman.
This is weird but I think people here would be higher on Foote if his last name was Thompson or Smith.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
This is weird but I think people here would be higher on Foote if his last name was Thompson or Smith.
Probably. Unless we get ourselves another 1st he isn't really worth talking about anyway. We aren't taking him 4th OA and he wont be around at 32nd.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:08 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:

I think his skating will improve as he gets used to his body. Seems he has stopped growing at 6'4" so he can finally get used to his size. I think Foote has more offensive upside than Carlo by a significant amount.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:10 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:

I don't think Foote speed will be an issue with him.

Foote speed.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:11 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Glass is a very good prospect, I would rate him behind Vilardi but I wouldn't be terribly upset if Sakic called his name.

Vilardi would likely need one more year in Juniors. It can't hurt to try to develop him at C. Plus, he has things to work on, and as a younger player a full season down there should be really beneficial even if he's not going to be a C.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:16 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Yeah, that sounds fair.

Zach Lauzon!

Old
06-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
I think his skating will improve as he gets used to his body. Seems he has stopped growing at 6'4" so he can finally get used to his size. I think Foote has more offensive upside than Carlo by a significant amount.
Lol at your avatar.

Mittelfat.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:21 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
I'm not sure Mittlestadt is a great fit here. And with their need for everyone to be ready to run an iron man I don't think they are going to be too happy with taking on a project physically. He'd be a good pick somewhere else.

Foote I go back and forth on. I could see him become a top pairing guy or I could see offensive issues as he progresses. I'm not sure this is the right org to really cultivate that offense.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
I don't think Foote speed will be an issue with him.

Foote speed.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:34 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, that sounds fair.

Didn't go through the list so not sure who's gone but guys who are probably left

MacAuley Carson, Daniel Bukac, Scott Walford, Vladislav Yeryomenko, Brendan De Jong, David Noel, Zachary Lauzon, Yaroslav Alexeyev and my favourite later round guy Kirill Maksimov(probably gone though)

Old
06-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I'm not sure Mittlestadt is a great fit here. And with their need for everyone to be ready to run an iron man I don't think they are going to be too happy with taking on a project physically. He'd be a good pick somewhere else.

Foote I go back and forth on. I could see him become a top pairing guy or I could see offensive issues as he progresses. I'm not sure this is the right org to really cultivate that offense.
Is there more to this, or just a reference to Sakic and Bednar talking about the way they are going to treat the offseason when it comes to the players?

Wow, does Patrick sure look like a young Forsberg. I think Mystic Mack said it the other day.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I wouldn't call Mittlestadt a physical project... he just needs taught what to do and how it will help him. By the time he leaves college, he will be fine. Lest we forget Doughty...

Mittlestadt isn't the greatest fit here, but I believe he will be the best player out of this draft. I'd be thrilled if he was selected by the Avs.

Old
06-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Pacman33

Anybody else going to be really disappointed if we take glass? I think hes a very solid player but just doesnt have to offensive talent id want with a 4th pick. Id prefer tippett over him if they decided not to take vilardi, heiskanen or mittelstadt

Old
06-05-2017, 02:01 PM
raistlin76

Quote:
If we draft Heiskanen why would we need Foote as well? Zads & Meloche are more exciting, and Bigras has similar upside. With Heiskanen as well there's our top 4 even without a Duchene or Landeskog trade.
Do we have Zads signed longterm? No! Is he linked with KHL teams? Yes! We even don't know if he is here next year. Hope he is but we won't know until he signs. Are we sure Meloche will be top4 or at least top6 d-man in NHL? No, he is still prospect/project however you called it. Of course we hope he will be NHLer sooner than later but we also thought Siemens will be NHLer. Unfortunately looks like he won't. Does Bigras already has two or three concussions? Yes! Are we sure he will be in NHL next season? No! He looks like injury-prone guy, whos career stalled at least a bit probably because of health problems. Why draft not one but two d-men who could be in NHL in next 2-4 years? Because we are very, very weak on defense and we don't have some slum dunk defensive prospects who are sure to be in NHL soon.

Old
06-05-2017, 02:30 PM
ibengals
"Is Roy Squinting?"

Any see that thread on in the prospects section about the guy who created software to grade players by imputing information, and gathering a consensus grade from reports? Interesting stuff.

LINK

Top 15 forwards

Interesting to note that Rantanen would've been the 3rd ranked forward in this draft.

Closed Thread