HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Old
06-29-2017, 10:35 PM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Looks like it's a winner. Great cast and I'm a big fan of Nicole.
I've seen it already (private pre-screening). It delivers on all fronts, the biggest star being the atmosphere IMO.

But the cast is all around great - Farrell, Dunst, Kidman are exceptional here.

Plus the subject matter is fascinating.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 07:00 AM
GoodKiwi

We just binge-watched "The Handmaid's Tale".

I'll have to re-watch it, but the preliminary prognosis from me is that of it edging River as my favorite TV series of all time.

Moss, who I knew was very capable, blew me away here.

It is the fastest-slowest moving TV show I've ever seen. And it challenges its viewer.

Last edited by GoodKiwi: 06-30-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old
06-30-2017, 08:34 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I'm watching Rectify now. It's completely entrancing with it's slow pace and phenomenal acting. It hits you with subtle moments of awe, unlike any show I've really seen before.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

If you haven't seen Baby Driver yet, you're doing something wrong with your life quit your job and go see it now

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 11:34 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
If you haven't seen Baby Driver yet, you're doing something wrong with your life quit your job and go see it now
Saw it.

Maybe I'm weird but I can't enjoy Edgar Wright's editing. It's so fast and snappy, really bothers me.

Otherwise the movie was cool, had rhythm. Really unrealistic but that's okay.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Saw it.

Maybe I'm weird but I can't enjoy Edgar Wright's editing. It's so fast and snappy, really bothers me.

Otherwise the movie was cool, had rhythm. Really unrealistic but that's okay.
you're not millenial enough, I need the fast and snappy editing to keep me interested, otherwise i'll just lose interest and start dabbing furiously while spinning my fidget spinner

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Runner77

vCash: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Watching this tomorrow and Saturday. The most exciting film since The Revenant IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBoLK5z_FHo
How does it compare to the 1971 version with Clint Eastwood?

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 05:05 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
I never really want to go see a movie often. But this is one I actually want to watch.

SquiddFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 05:37 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Main character in Baby Driver looks like the plainest most boring protagonist in a while.

I probably won't see it in theatres for that reason.

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2017, 07:04 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Main character in Baby Driver looks like the plainest most boring protagonist in a while.

I probably won't see it in theatres for that reason.
It's for a reason. I dunno how to explain it but his blandness doesn't hurt the movie.

It definitely worth seeing in theatres, better than superhero crap.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 05:06 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
How does it compare to the 1971 version with Clint Eastwood?
Personally, I find the new take to be better.

It is definitely more feminist (never overbearingly so though), but, while offering a new angle, it remains very close to the original.

The 2017 version is undoubtedly more atmospheric.

It also doesn't care about the larger picture, it is much more nuanced and contextual. I didn't know that watching it the first time, and as much as I hate to admit it, the narrower scope works better in the new version.

What pushes S. Coppola's version above are the quiet moments, almost seen as picture frames at times. It has always been her signature and she takes it to another level in "The Beguiled" IMO.

This is the type of a movie that won't open up to one on his/hers first viewing. It must take several times of you watching it for it to bloom.

It is also the most explicit/non-explicit movie I've ever seen I think. It makes your mind work beyond the frames in a very naughty way.

It is a fairy tale, but it has a lot of gravitas behind the shiny coating. The closest movie it reminds me of would be perhaps Mikhalkov's "Burnt by The Sun" because it encapsulates a large, divisive issue and distills it down to micro-level of basic human interactions.

I should have a better grasp on it after seeing it once more.

Old
07-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
15 more days.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 09:39 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
15 more days.
I thought I felt a chill in the air.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Personally, I find the new take to be better.

It is definitely more feminist (never overbearingly so though), but, while offering a new angle, it remains very close to the original.

The 2017 version is undoubtedly more atmospheric.

It also doesn't care about the larger picture, it is much more nuanced and contextual. I didn't know that watching it the first time, and as much as I hate to admit it, the narrower scope works better in the new version.

What pushes S. Coppola's version above are the quiet moments, almost seen as picture frames at times. It has always been her signature and she takes it to another level in "The Beguiled" IMO.

This is the type of a movie that won't open up to one on his/hers first viewing. It must take several times of you watching it for it to bloom.

It is also the most explicit/non-explicit movie I've ever seen I think. It makes your mind work beyond the frames in a very naughty way.

It is a fairy tale, but it has a lot of gravitas behind the shiny coating. The closest movie it reminds me of would be perhaps Mikhalkov's "Burnt by The Sun" because it encapsulates a large, divisive issue and distills it down to micro-level of basic human interactions.

I should have a better grasp on it after seeing it once more.
Thanks. Lots of nuance in your post. I have seen the original many years ago, so I only have a vague recollection. Makes me want to see it again and compare.

Old
07-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Runner77

Taking a chance of Netflix's new offering, Travelers, a time travel series.

Several positive reviews. One of them claims it's a great binge-watching series:

Quote:
Travelers is that kind of show: It’s entertaining and engrossing, fast-moving, and addictive enough that you are willing to ignore some of the flaws in its logic, and there are a lot of flaws here, as is often the case with time travel shows.
http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies...hing-candy.php

Anyone else following it?

Old
07-01-2017, 11:12 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
15 more days.
The latest trailer has ramped up my hype. Now if only The Winds of Winter could be released

Old
07-02-2017, 12:17 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Thanks. Lots of nuance in your post. I have seen the original many years ago, so I only have a vague recollection. Makes me want to see it again and compare.
You're welcome.

Having seen it three times now I want to add a few more thoughts.

Kidman is the brightest star here IMO. She gives the viewer a truly special performance and drowns out the rest of the cast (as good as they are). There's is a magnificent scene that features her at the very end. A quiet moment of triumph, it is the most critical twist and it is the biggest punch of The Beguiled IMO. It takes a special director to deliver something this confident yet so still.

The ending is what makes this film IMO. It is perfect and, now that I think about it, the movie would not be the same without it.

The lighting is superb in this. As I grow older I begin to appreciate this aspect of film making more and more.

Finally on the atmosphere of The Beguiled... I can best describe it as "measured menace" that pulsates and suffocates you as the movie moves along. You cannot escape it and it drills into your mind soundly.

If this film isn't deserving of Academy awards I don't know what is. It is refreshing to see a competent production like this one in the golden age of quick and mind-numbing satisfaction that has overtaken the industry. Movies like it are becoming harder and harder to come by sadly. This sets the bar on how thrillers should be made IMO.

P.S. This movie is really about women. I take back what I said before, this is not similar to the 1971 version at all.

Last edited by GoodKiwi: 07-02-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old
07-03-2017, 03:48 AM
Runner77

Just finished Season 1 of Travelers and loved it. I couldn't get enough. I'm going to watch it again and am looking forward to Season 2. The storyline gets some getting used to at the beginning, but you soon become accustomed to the concept. Liked the casting, the acting and how each character's personal situations impacted on their larger mission.

If you're looking for a new series to sink your teeth into, give Travelers a shot. It's well worth it. Looking forward to feedback.

Old
07-06-2017, 12:42 AM
Runner77

Binge-watched another Netflix offering, Season 1 of Gypsy. It's a psychological drama but one in which there is no gore, no murders but some sexual situations. Its pace is excruciatingly slow, found the closing episode to be the best but it took a lot of patience to get there.

It has some elements of The Affair but not at the same level of intensity nor dramatic outcomes. Reviews have not been flattering. Major bone of contention is not the acting -- the storyline leaves a lot to be desired. And as one review put it, there is no sense of urgency, hence the show's self labeling as a "thriller" is not accurate.

Last edited by Runner77: 07-10-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old
07-06-2017, 01:33 AM
GoodKiwi

We just finished a Pollack marathon.

I saw The Slender Thread for the first time tonight.

Old
07-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
10 more sleeps

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Mr & Mme Adelman: 8/10

Great french comedy.

Patients (2017): 7.4/10

Pretty good movie base on the true story of the french slammer Grand Corps Malade. One of my favorite of the year so far.

Baby driver : 7.4/10

Pretty good action movie just shy of being a classic.

Last edited by Mario Lemieux fan 66: 07-10-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 02:22 PM
LaP

Watched two movies lately.

Rogue One and Alien Covenant.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Rogue One. I was expecting a side story JJ Abrams style and i got a legitimate prequel to the 3 first movies that felt almost 100% like a legit Star Wars movie. Totally worth watching if you like Star Wars. At time i felt like i was watching an old Star Wars movie. Enjoyed the movie a lot.

Alien Covenant. My god honestly Scott should retire. So sad to see such a good director doing crap like that. I was not a big fan of Prometheus but it was watchable and could have been a proper introduction to something new in the Alien universe. But guys believe the critics Covenant *****. One of the worst movie in the Alien universe. Definitely worse than the director's cut of the 3rd movie by far and pretty much on par with the 4th one maybe even worse.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 09:37 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

On HBO they have a 4 part documentary series called the Defiant ones, and it's about Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre. It's really fascinating going through both of their beginnings and how they came to meet each other. Now both are billionaires after selling Beats By Dre to apple a few years ago.

The final episode is tomorrow and it includes how Eminem met Dre. I've seen a clip for it and it was really cool. Eminem basically showed up to Dre's house. Dre played a beat, which eventually became My Name Is, and Eminem just started freestyling over the beat. Really cool stuff if you enjoy music.

Old
07-13-2017, 02:27 AM
GoodKiwi

Which movie is Clooney's best in your opinion?

EDIT: "I'm not the guy that you kill. I'm the guy that you buy. Are you so ****ing blind you don't even see what I am?" has my vote.

Last edited by GoodKiwi: 07-13-2017 at 02:34 AM.