HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Old
07-13-2017, 02:41 AM
groovejuice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Which movie is Clooney's best in your opinion?

EDIT: "I'm not the guy that you kill. I'm the guy that you buy. Are you so ****ing blind you don't even see what I am?" has my vote.
It's certainly one of my favorite Clooney films. Outstanding casting and I loved the pacing. I'm also a pushover for freshly baked baguettes.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 02:43 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
It's certainly one of my favorite Clooney films. Outstanding casting and I loved the pacing. I'm also a pushover for freshly baked baguettes.
I wasn't in love with it the first time I watched it to be honest.

But over time it's become the movie I watched the most. Over 30 times easily now and it never bores me.

P.S. It will never open up to you to the extent you might expect. Clayton's character is as rich as one can be. To this day there's no interpretation of it I'm fully satisfied with.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:05 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

EDIT: "I'm not the guy that you kill. I'm the guy that you buy. Are you so ****ing blind you don't even see what I am?" has my vote.
Three Kings IMO

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:30 AM
Runner77

vCash: 3740
Quote:

I would have never thought of ranking movies according to Clooney's performances. I never really look for that. Is he really that exceptional? I've liked him in a couple of movies but he's not someone I necessarily gravitate towards or would feel compelled to seek out all of his movies for some kind of binge-watching. As a general rule, I'm more interested in the intrinsic quality of a particular movie or show and let the actors, script and its creative experience speak to me as a whole.

Last edited by Runner77: 07-13-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:36 AM
Binary Code
How do I change that

vCash: 50
Any good movies/TV shows on Netflix?

Binary Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Code View Post
Any good movies/TV shows on Netflix?
Travelers. It's a time travel themed show, first season recently arrived on Netflix. I enjoyed it a lot.

Several positive reviews. I found that reading one that explained the particular concept of time travel used by the show, helped me get through the first few episodes more easily. However, it goes beyond sci fi, I found the storyline keeps your interest.

Old
07-13-2017, 05:29 AM
Binary Code
How do I change that

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Travelers. It's a time travel themed show, first season recently arrived on Netflix. I enjoyed it a lot.

Several positive reviews. I found that reading one that explained the particular concept of time travel used by the show, helped me get through the first few episodes more easily. However, it goes beyond sci fi, I found the storyline keeps your interest.
Alright thanks I'll look into it!

I've watch pretty much every "popular" TV shows/netflix originals because someone suggested them to me but each time I try to search for something new I don't feel compelled by the description or end up watching something I don't like. First world problem eh.

Binary Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 06:19 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
I would have never thought of ranking movies according to Clooney's performances. I never really look for that. Is he really that exceptional? I've liked him in a couple of movies but he's not someone I necessarily gravitate towards or would feel compelled to seek out his all of his movies for some kind of binge-watching. As a general rule, I'm more interested in the intrinsic quality of a particular movie or show and let the actors, script and its creative experience speak to me as a whole.
Exceptional? No, there is maybe a handful of actors I'd use this word to describe and Clooney is certainly not among them.

Michael Clayton excels as a script and as a narrative above and beyond individual performances (although Clooney, Swinton and Wilkinson all deliver here).

Gilroy and Elswit are the people that make this film what it is IMO. Behind a thriller lies something that questions morals and the very fabric of slippery truth, and, no, I'm not talking about the main plot and the eco-dilemma. It reaches far beyond that IMO. Michael Clayton doesn't provide a true closure (me and my partner debate this almost every other week still) and can be interpreted in several ways. This movie makes you think, if you're willing to put in the work.

I don't think Clooney is its highlight by any means, it's a marvelous film on its own. Clooney just happens to be in it.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Exceptional? No, there is maybe a handful of actors I'd use this word to describe and Clooney is certainly not among them.

Michael Clayton excels as a script and as a narrative above and beyond individual performances (although Clooney, Swinton and Wilkinson all deliver here).

Gilroy and Elswit are the people that make this film what it is IMO. Behind a thriller lies something that questions morals and the very fabric of slippery truth, and, no, I'm not talking about the main plot and the eco-dilemma. It reaches far beyond that IMO. Michael Clayton doesn't provide a true closure (me and my partner debate this almost every other week still) and can be interpreted in several ways. This movie makes you think, if you're willing to put in the work.

I don't think Clooney is its highlight by any means, it's a marvelous film on its own. Clooney just happens to be in it.
Maybe I could have used a different word than "exceptional", but was just trying to find out why your focus was on him. If you have a list of movies that he's in, that you really enjoyed, that's a perspective that I can get into more easily. I just don't tend to bunch up movies on account of a specific actor but nothing wrong with doing that if that is of personal interest.

Old
07-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

13 assassins: 7.3/10

Metro Manila: 6.8/10

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:19 PM
peate
Good grief!

With season 7 just around the corner, there's a special out called: Game of Thrones, the story so far. It's a good recollection of the first 6 seasons told in an hour. A good crash course for newbies or those who want to refresh their memories on what has happened so far.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Spider-man was incredible, what a treat

very funny too

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
With season 7 just around the corner, there's a special out called: Game of Thrones, the story so far. It's a good recollection of the first 6 seasons told in an hour. A good crash course for newbies or those who want to refresh their memories on what has happened so far.
Just what I needed. I'll look for it on HBO, I imagine they have it in stock. Thanks for that.

I just didn't feel like watching 6 seasons' worth of this just to remember enough to take on Season 7.

Old
07-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

O Brother Where Art Thou?, From Dusk Til Dawn

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 12:11 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Tried looking for it but can't find it. Where is it showing?

Old
07-14-2017, 06:25 AM
The Titan
Auto Perma-Banned

Quote:
Tried looking for it but can't find it. Where is it showing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7wGBQ3P0OE

The Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:49 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Spider-man was incredible, what a treat

very funny too
Is it a third origin story film or does it take off simply knowing a Spider-man exists and he wants to be part of The Avengers?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:50 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I'm also looking forward to Game of Thrones. Oh wait, I mean episode 8 of the season as we know nothing will happen the first 7.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 07:27 AM
overlords
#FakeBlous

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm also looking forward to Game of Thrones. Oh wait, I mean episode 8 of the season as we know nothing will happen the first 7.
Really? I've found the past two seasons to be rushed, if anything. I've also noticed the dialogue becoming a bit quippy but I seem to be one of the few who has a problem with it.

Recently watched The Neon Demon. I liked it. If you're into Kubrick, it's probably up your alley.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Quote:
Is it a third origin story film or does it take off simply knowing a Spider-man exists and he wants to be part of The Avengers?
Sick and tired of having movies with Peter Parker as a teen. Can't wait for the day they'll finally have him at around his mid 20's.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 07:36 AM
DAChampion

Spider Man Homecoming was fun. It's different from the other SM movies so that parts great.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:15 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

for those who watch french movies/series.

Marche l'ombre

(from Ian Lauzon, with Laurence Leboeuf among others)

great serie except for maybe the last 2 or 3 episodes of season 2.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 08:17 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Second one.

It's not spider Man day one, more like day two or day three.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

vCash: 725
Okay....this was probably answered already but here's my question...I have a 6 and 10 year old daughters. And somehow, I know that my 10 year old is really interested to watch the Star Wars movies....while the 6th year old, I don't know but it doesn't matter, she watches, it's fine, if not, it's fine too....but here is my question....What order should I use? It's been a long time since I've watched, not even sure I remember which is which, but I read that there's Team episode....Team Release and Team Machete. Which team do you think it's best to show a 10 year old that saga....with a maximum impact especially the big surprise we all know about....Thanks.

I keep reading how the Machete order is the best....and that it doesn't even include watching Phantom Menace...which is kinda strange no?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay....this was probably answered already but here's my question...I have a 6 and 10 year old daughters. And somehow, I know that my 10 year old is really interested to watch the Star Wars movies....while the 6th year old, I don't know but it doesn't matter, she watches, it's fine, if not, it's fine too....but here is my question....What order should I use? It's been a long time since I've watched, not even sure I remember which is which, but I read that there's Team episode....Team Release and Team Machete. Which team do you think it's best to show a 10 year old that saga....with a maximum impact especially the big surprise we all know about....Thanks.

I keep reading how the Machete order is the best....and that it doesn't even include watching Phantom Menace...which is kinda strange no?
I believe what you're looking for is:

IV-V-II-III-VI

Start from the beginning of Luke's story. Big reveal in V. Then a flashback of where Darth Vader comes from. Finish with the upbringing finale of Ep. VI, which is also the last one, chronogically speaking.

And it does skip the useless Ep. I without losing anything in terms of storytelling (really). Anakin's "backstory" in ep I is useless because the character changes too much afterwards (new actor etc). Even Obi-Wan changes a lot from ep. I to II. QuiGonn and Maul both die and the other characters don't really experience any story arc in I. So you can actually skip it without losing much.

If you absolutely want to include I for the sake of completeness, just put it between V and II in the above order. Or even better: use 'The Phantom Edit', it's on youtube. A cut down version that has everthing essential and much less Jar Jar.

Last edited by Brainiac: 07-14-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote