Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2017, 04:27 AM
LainePeg
Due Diligence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Hockeyprospects is out. It's an "interesting" list to say the least. Isaac Ratcliffe at #13? Still digesting it.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-nhl-draft-rankings/

Highest I've seen Vaakanainen. See him more as an early round 2 guy, but a team may like him in the 15-30 range.

Old
06-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LainePeg View Post
Highest I've seen Vaakanainen. See him more as an early round 2 guy, but a team may like him in the 15-30 range.
I like him a lot. This draft could be really topsy turvy in the first couple of rounds.

Old
06-09-2017, 06:19 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I like him a lot. This draft could be really topsy turvy in the first couple of rounds.
I think the craziest we have seen in the 2.0 era. The only thing that is bumming me out a bit is that Tippett is falling on very well scouted rankings........I really want him to go before our pick.

Old
06-09-2017, 06:41 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I think the craziest we have seen in the 2.0 era. The only thing that is bumming me out a bit is that Tippett is falling on very well scouted rankings........I really want him to go before our pick.
I just can't see him making it past LA or Florida.

Old
06-09-2017, 07:09 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Jusso Valimaki will be a Winnipeg Jet, I just knows it.
Makes sense...Jets start and end a run on J-names picked 13th in the first round.

Old
06-09-2017, 07:18 AM
lanky

Quote:
Jusso Valimaki will be a Winnipeg Jet, I just knows it.
He should be available.

I'll be hoping we draft someone that unexpectedly fell.

Old
06-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Whileee

Quote:
There's a possibility that a team above the Jets surprises with a player like Kostin, Vesalainen or Tolvanen. Just as the Jets are thin on D in their system, others are going to be looking for top scoring and offensive talent, which is hard to find unless you draft relatively high. The Jets drafting of Connor and Roslovic in the bottom half of the 1st in 2015 is a real boon for the future talent base and depth.

Old
06-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
There's a possibility that a team above the Jets surprises with a player like Kostin, Vesalainen or Tolvanen. Just as the Jets are thin on D in their system, others are going to be looking for top scoring and offensive talent, which is hard to find unless you draft relatively high. The Jets drafting of Connor and Roslovic in the bottom half of the 1st in 2015 is a real boon for the future talent base and depth.
Yeah we lucked out hard with that Connor pick but them identifiing Jack was a real solid pick up. I just hope we lay off the wingers BPA be damned. Center or Defencemen and I'll be happy as long as it's not Rasmussen or Hague. Even if they drafted a guy like Poehling I'd trust them. Really got my fingers crossed for Valimaki though or Suzuki.

Old
06-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Yeah we lucked out hard with that Connor pick but them identifiing Jack was a real solid pick up. I just hope we lay off the wingers BPA be damned. Center or Defencemen and I'll be happy as long as it's not Rasmussen or Hague. Even if they drafted a guy like Poehling I'd trust them. Really got my fingers crossed for Valimaki though or Suzuki.
Hmmm... why trust Poehling but not Rasmussen? Poehling has some decent tools but a pretty thin resume. I'd put those two into a similar tier, to be honest.

Old
06-09-2017, 08:18 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Yessir. I just wanna note that I was one of the first to have mitts, tipps, and rass, as fallers before any other rankings did
But having said all that I hope those three plus a few surprises go ahead of the jets. I want the guys I don't want to go ahead of us, so we have many great options to choose from.

Old
06-09-2017, 08:32 AM
BB88

Quote:
He's definitely going to be one of the prospects Florida looks. They need a new 1st line right winger.

I'm hoping Valimaki drops to the Jets. That would/could be a start of great top3.

Old
06-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Hmmm... why trust Poehling but not Rasmussen? Poehling has some decent tools but a pretty thin resume. I'd put those two into a similar tier, to be honest.
Because although I don't like to over value international play but Poehling showed well during the Hlinka and U18s. Plus he has scored well in a tough HS division at a younger age. Everything about Rasmussens game makes me hesitent. I haven't watched as much of Poehling but I do feel he is a much better all around player. All that big mike has going for him is his powerplay scoring. Plus I think he'll be a winger long term or at the very best a 3rd line C. Poehling has more upside. With all that being said I have Poehling unranked because I feel I haven't seen enough of his game to properly rank him but if the Jets picked him I'd trust in that assessment. If they pick Rasmussen I'll be pissed.

Last edited by Daximus: 06-09-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old
06-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Yessir. I just wanna note that I was one of the first to have mitts, tipps, and rass, as fallers before any other rankings did
But having said all that I hope those three plus a few surprises go ahead of the jets. I want the guys I don't want to go ahead of us, so we have many great options to choose from.
I think a fair number of people didn't have Ras as a faller because we never had him very high to begin with haha.

Old
06-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
He's definitely going to be one of the prospects Florida looks. They need a new 1st line right winger.

I'm hoping Valimaki drops to the Jets. That would/could be a start of great top3.
Then we just need to somehow draft Woo next year and we have the best young dcore in the league if we keep Trouba.

Morrissey-Trouba
Valimaki-Woo

Crazy combo of two way play and puck movers. With our speedy forwards we would be a force.

Old
06-09-2017, 09:26 AM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LainePeg View Post
I believe Hampus Lindholm was ranked in the late teens on most 2012 lists in 2012. He's the same kind of player in that he could turn out just fine - even if he's taken early. It also goes to show that it only takes one team.

Remember, the Flyers ranked Morin ahead of Monahan in 2013. The same could happen with Hague or Foote this year. Both are miles better than Morin was on draft day.

Old
06-09-2017, 09:27 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Then we just need to somehow draft Woo next year and we have the best young dcore in the league if we keep Trouba.

Morrissey-Trouba
Valimaki-Woo

Crazy combo of two way play and puck movers. With our speedy forwards we would be a force.
One of the many things I like about the Black Book is they have nice scouting profiles of 2019 draft class including Jett Woo. He would be a very solid prospect in our pipeline. Do you get to watch him play a fair amount live?

He helps his dad run some of the dry land training for the Laker academy out of southdale and he seems mature beyond his years and a "perfect fit" TNSE type prospect.

Old
06-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Gil Fisher

Quote:

Morrissey-Trouba
Valimaki-Woo

Crazy combo of twoo way play and puck movers. With our speedy forwards we would be a force.
I see what you did there.

Old
06-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
One of the many things I like about the Black Book is they have nice scouting profiles of 2019 draft class including Jett Woo. He would be a very solid prospect in our pipeline. Do you get to watch him play a fair amount live?

He helps his dad run some of the dry land training for the Laker academy out of southdale and he seems mature beyond his years and a "perfect fit" TNSE type prospect.
Yeah I have Warriors season tickets so I saw him play every single game last year. He's a very smooth skater, has a very high IQ, reads the play so well and has a great defensive stick, his transition game is probably his greatest strength as he reads the play so well under pressure and just makes the smart simple play to get the puck to a teammate and out of the zone. He almost refuses to go glass and out or flip the puck out of the zone typically prefering to loop back and pass to his partner as many times as it takes to execute a controlled breakout. He is really learning to get involved in the offensive play but because he is so good defensively and played with a defensive black hole in Sozanski last year he often hung back in the play unless he saw a golden oppourtunity. He has a hard and accurate point shot that he often likes to keep low. He isn't afraid of the rough stuff either and often gravitates towards scrums and sticks up for his teammates every chance he gets. He plays the body very well but saves the big hits for more oppourtune times. Nothing but good things to say about him. He'll no doubt be a captain for Moose Jaw as he is already showing some leadership qualities both on and off the ice.
He fits the Morrissey/Trouba mold of being a physical but defensively responsible puck mover that can chip in offensively. Plus when ge scores the whole crowd goes "Woooo!" And I just feel like that should carry over to the Jets.

Old
06-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I see what you did there.
Woo!

Old
06-09-2017, 10:01 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I believe Hampus Lindholm was ranked in the late teens on most 2012 lists in 2012. He's the same kind of player in that he could turn out just fine - even if he's taken early. It also goes to show that it only takes one team.

Remember, the Flyers ranked Morin ahead of Monahan in 2013. The same could happen with Hague or Foote this year. Both are miles better than Morin was on draft day.
Good post.

Vaakanainen is going to be a very high "red bar" D man (like Lindholm) and I think he could be one teams look back on and wonder why he slipped through their grasp.

Old
06-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

Hockeyprospects doesn't have Hague in the first round, or Yamamoto for that matter.

Maybe it's recency bias but it seems that the rankings this year are the most volatile we have seen in the 2.0 era. I am hoping there will be a real gem still available at 43

Old
06-09-2017, 10:07 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Hockeyprospects doesn't have Hague in the first round, or Yamamoto for that matter.

Maybe it's recency bias but it seems that the rankings this year are the most volatile we have seen in the 2.0 era. I am hoping there will be a real gem still available at 43
I think you can count on it which is why I don't want us to give us a 2nd to Vegas if we can help it.

Old
06-09-2017, 10:09 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Good post.

Vaakanainen is going to be a very high "red bar" D man (like Lindholm) and I think he could be one teams look back on and wonder why he slipped through their grasp.
I think he's low risk as I see him as a safe bet, not sure he becomes top pair as I don't see lindholm upside but he is a very solid dman with not a lot of flaws but I don't see anything outstanding either.

Old
06-09-2017, 10:11 AM
vpenner27

vCash: 597
Quote:
Yeah I have Warriors season tickets so I saw him play every single game last year. He's a very smooth skater, has a very high IQ, reads the play so well and has a great defensive stick, his transition game is probably his greatest strength as he reads the play so well under pressure and just makes the smart simple play to get the puck to a teammate and out of the zone. He almost refuses to go glass and out or flip the puck out of the zone typically prefering to loop back and pass to his partner as many times as it takes to execute a controlled breakout. He is really learning to get involved in the offensive play but because he is so good defensively and played with a defensive black hole in Sozanski last year he often hung back in the play unless he saw a golden oppourtunity. He has a hard and accurate point shot that he often likes to keep low. He isn't afraid of the rough stuff either and often gravitates towards scrums and sticks up for his teammates every chance he gets. He plays the body very well but saves the big hits for more oppourtune times. Nothing but good things to say about him. He'll no doubt be a captain for Moose Jaw as he is already showing some leadership qualities both on and off the ice.
He fits the Morrissey/Trouba mold of being a physical but defensively responsible puck mover that can chip in offensively. Plus when ge scores the whole crowd goes "Woooo!" And I just feel like that should carry over to the Jets.
Sounds like he would also be a fantastic fit with Brannstrom but isn't Woo likely to be unavailable to the Jets (if they make the playoffs) as he is projected to be a lottery pick no?

Old
06-09-2017, 10:21 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Woo!
His dad had a heck of an edge and was border line dirty, so I'm sure Jet has some of that in his blood too, as you say he's not afraid to mix it up too.

Closed Thread