Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Keep Enstrom or not [Enstrom waived NMC for XD]

Old
06-06-2017, 08:49 PM
potroaster

vCash: 500
Keep Enstrom or not [Enstrom waived NMC for XD]

Should we keep Enstrom? Buy him out? Have him waive his ridiculous NMC? Was it enough that we gave him 5.75 mil for 5 years? I want to hear this.

potroaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Gil Fisher

He'll be better than anything else we run out in the third pairing next year. Really don't see the value in buying him out.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:05 PM
jetsforever

Keep him for sure IMO - He's a reliable defenceman who is better than most of our others

jetsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:18 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
I'd ask him to waive. Even though he would still be helpful next season losing a 32 y/o fading vet 1 year away from UFA status is not the worse thing. If we still need a 3rd pairing d-man when the dust settles after the XD we can pick up a similarly priced cap dump and get rewarded for doing so.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 09:22 PM
vpenner27

vCash: 597
One last year but don't resign him as he has become too much of a liability on the back end.

vpenner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 10:05 PM
ffh

vCash: 50
Consensus 5th best dman on this team. Pending ufa who will more then likely be on 3rd pairing. Does toby take 2 million next year to be 3rd pairing or does he leave. So for 1 year of 3rd pairing dman we lose 4 years of perreault or half a dozen years of lowry. Get him to waive or buy him out.

ffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 10:12 PM
lanky

Buy out would be dumb in my opinion. No one can convince me that's the right move.

Asking him to waive for the xdraft is a much more moderate move. I might agree that asking him in the right way could be a reasonable strategy. Maybe even the right strategy. If he says no, well, he bargained for that right.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Buy out would be dumb in my opinion. No one can convince me that's the right move.

Asking him to waive for the xdraft is a much more moderate move. I might agree that asking him in the right way could be a reasonable strategy. Maybe even the right strategy. If he says no, well, he bargained for that right.
Agreed. Ask him to waive, if he won't oh well, but don't buy him out when it's not urgent to free up space right now and it will only make our team worse this upcoming season. Keep him on, for the season, he's 3x better than anyone who played on our third pairing last season, then see if he'll resign for a massive pay cut. Like max 3-3.5m for 3 years or something like that. If he won't take the pay cut, cya toby. I honestly love enstrom but at that point he'd be hurting the team more than helping, unless he has a huge bounce back year (which he might tbh).

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 10:45 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I'd ask him to waive. Even though he would still be helpful next season losing a 32 y/o fading vet 1 year away from UFA status is not the worse thing. If we still need a 3rd pairing d-man when the dust settles after the XD we can pick up a similarly priced cap dump and get rewarded for doing so.
If he did waive and the Jets went 7/3, it would leave Tony and one of Copp / Dano / Armia exposed. If I'm Vegas, I take the forward.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Yukon Joe

Enstrom has played his entire career with this franchise. His point totals have obviously regressed, but it's not like we have a better defenceman in his position ready to take his place. Buying him out is a mistake - we have to pay 2/3 of his salary to not play - then we still have to find someone else to take his minutes.

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by potroaster View Post
Should we keep Enstrom? Buy him out? Have him waive his ridiculous NMC? Was it enough that we gave him 5.75 mil for 5 years? I want to hear this.
For loyalty and cash reasons they won't buy him out.
I somewhat doubt they would even ask him to waive.
Last season started pretty decent for him.
His pts per game were up slightly, but that regressed quickly.

Someone mentioned signing him for 3 or 3.5 for 3 years. If that's the per year salary then that is way too high to be helpful to setting up a good team budget. Stuarts 2.5 on the 3rd pair / pressbox is tough. 3.5 would be very tough to manage as we sign the youngsters.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2017, 11:35 PM
D1G

He will be the most overpaid player in the league next year. And if we do make the playoffs he will be a huge liability once the whistles are gone. But we are stuck with him. No sense in buying him out. So keep in let him play his contract out. [mod]

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 06-07-2017 at 03:20 AM. Reason: OT / thread-hijacking.
D1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 12:36 AM
bisonbutt
Dark Helmets brother

Enstrom missed 22 games this season and his offense has tailed off the last couple years, but he is still defensively more reliable than Stuart, Chiarot, and Postma.

Enstrom can actually make a pass and bring over his own blueline. Something Stuart and Chiarot seem to struggle with.

HELL YES I'd keep him. Haven't seen anyone playing on the Moose that would even be close to his replacement value so getting rid of him would be defensive suicide.

Lets get better replacements for Stuart and Chiarot FIRST and then work our way up to Enstrom. The idea is to make our team better not worse.

bisonbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 04:00 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/05/25/pil...rom-2016-2017/

There's a good chance he's still the 4th best defender on the team next year...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 04:18 AM
mcpw
WPG

Buying out Enstrom all but guarantees we'll see a lot of games with Stuart, Chiarot, Melchiori in the lineup.

The right move is to keep Enstrom and sign a defenseman who's better than Stuart, Chiarot, Melchiori. Actually, make that two.

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 04:24 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
https://jetsnation.ca/2017/05/25/pil...rom-2016-2017/

There's a good chance he's still the 4th best defender on the team next year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpw View Post
Buying out Enstrom all but guarantees we'll see a lot of games with Stuart, Chiarot, Melchiori in the lineup.

The right move is to keep Enstrom and sign a defenseman who's better than Stuart, Chiarot, Melchiori. Actually, make that two.
This, and this. Is he declining? Probably, but he's still better than our other options, and he's only got one year left on his contract. He's unlikely to waive his NMC anyway, even if you did want to ditch him.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 05:09 AM
ffh

I'll take 4 years of perreault over a pending ufa 3rd pairing dman.. You can re-sign postma and play him on the left side and not miss him. This is worst case if you had to buy him out. He could waive and still play on team.

Old
06-07-2017, 05:30 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
I'll take 4 years of perreault over a pending ufa 3rd pairing dman.. You can re-sign postma and play him on the left side and not miss him. This is worst case if you had to buy him out. He could waive and still play on team.
Why would he waive his NMC? He negotiated it for situations exactly like we're in right now. He has control.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 05:41 AM
mcpw
WPG

Quote:
Enstrom and Perreault are unrelated. We can keep both.

Old
06-07-2017, 05:45 AM
Eyeseeing

This is one of the contracts TNSE should allow to run out to term.
Toby is still a decent defender coming off a difficult year obviously with lots of personal background noise.
He'll likely be better this year.

Last edited by Eyeseeing: 06-17-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Eyeseeing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 05:47 AM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpw View Post
Enstrom and Perreault are unrelated. We can keep both.
I think the Jets are keeping lowry over perreault.Vegas will take perreault or what they deem equal value for him not what chevy thinks is equal value. Armia and a 2nd is that equal value.

Last edited by ffh: 06-07-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old
06-07-2017, 06:05 AM
mcpw
WPG

Quote:
I think the Jets are keeping lowry over perreault.Vegas will take perreault or what they deem equal value for him not what chevy thinks is equal value. Armia and a 2nd is that equal value.
If the Jets protect Lowry and not Perreault, heads need to roll if we ever want to win anything. That's on about the same level as protecting Hutchinson over Hellebuyck.

Old
06-07-2017, 06:08 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Agreed. I think the organization is way too high on Lowry to expose him. Without knowing if any other deals are in place it will likely be either Toby that is exposed or MP that is exposed depending if they go 7-3-1 or 4-4-1. Depending on Toby's willingness to waive of course.

Old
06-07-2017, 06:20 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If he did waive and the Jets went 7/3, it would leave Tony and one of Copp / Dano / Armia exposed. If I'm Vegas, I take the forward.
I would tend to agree with this, though there is a risk of losing Toby. With the list of available d-man available there would seem to be better options a 23 y/o pending UFA with a $5.75 m cap hit.

When the dust settles I hope to see a couple moves rolled into one. LV gets the forward of choice after Lowry and MP (Copp, Dano or Armia), a pick and prospect and we keep our most important players and get one of their drafted goalies.

Old
06-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Guffman
Unregistered User

I am assuming a deal gets worked out with LV where we don't have to buy out Enstrom and get to keep Lowry and Perreault.

LV gets another unprotected forward and a draft pick sweetener.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote