Notices

Keep Enstrom or not [Enstrom waived NMC for XD]

Old
06-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Puck Hawerchuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Enstrom has played his entire career with this franchise. His point totals have obviously regressed, but it's not like we have a better defenceman in his position ready to take his place. Buying him out is a mistake - we have to pay 2/3 of his salary to not play - then we still have to find someone else to take his minutes.
Frankly, given Enstrom''s inability to stay healthy, we will be filling his minutes anyway. Good thing is that we win at a far higher clip with him out of the lineup than in it. Nice guy but he is not built to take the western conference pounding and forecheckers immediately cheat to his partner who he will reverse it back to to avoid a hit.

If he won't be willing to waive his NMC now, good chance he won't at the trade Deadline either and we still get nothing for him.

Vegas will not take that contract for one year for a player with his injury history. No chance.

Puck Hawerchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 01:58 PM
DashingDane

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
This is why Enstrom has to go. Why should we give up additional assets, lose a young player that could've been protected over someone Vegas wouldn't even want. [mod]
That's all speculation on your part. Truth is we have no idea. Imo Enstrom is more important short term for Jets success than both Lowry and Armia. By that I mean next years playoff chances only.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 06-08-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: QEP
DashingDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDane View Post
That's all speculation on your part. Truth is we have no idea. Imo Enstrom is more important short term for Jets success than both Lowry and Armia. By that I mean next years playoff chances only.
I agree. The way I see it, Toby plays out the year, then goes back to Sweden. Nothing to see here.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 02:04 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Enstrom is not the difference between making or missing the post-season next year. He's a liability come playoffs. I doubt he'd survive a round, nevermind an actual run. That's $6mill that would be better spent somewhere else.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 02:06 PM
DashingDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I agree. The way I see it, Toby plays out the year, then goes back to Sweden. Nothing to see here.
Agree. I also wouldn't be surprised if he extended with two years at around 3 million. As long as there is no prospect with a clear path to take over his 2nd pairing role he is a very value piece to this team.

Old
06-08-2017, 02:08 PM
DashingDane

Quote:
Enstrom is not the difference between making or missing the post-season next year. He's a liability come playoffs. I doubt he'd survive a round, nevermind an actual run.
You sure are good at speculating Do you think Ellis is a liability for the preds?

Old
06-08-2017, 02:11 PM
AWSAA

Quote:
You sure are good at speculating Do you think Ellis is a liability for the preds?
Are you serious? Ellis >>> Toby.

Old
06-08-2017, 02:12 PM
DashingDane

Quote:
Are you serious? Ellis >>> Toby.
Offensively, yes. Defensively, debatable.

Old
06-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
In my world Chevy needs to make a deal with LV that insures the Jets keep all of MP, Lowry and Armia. Give them Dano/Copp and a draft pick not in the 1st round. Losing Armia or Lowry makes an already bad pk even worse!
The pick should not be in the 2nd either. We have guys in the A who are never going to be more than injury callups for the Jets. Kosmo and DeLeo come to mind, also Lipon and Lemieux. They might be useful players to LV but can't get by the Jets top 12. This might be the best opportunity to extract some value from those players.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd: 06-09-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 02:24 PM
AWSAA

Quote:
Offensively, yes. Defensively, debatable.
Their heights may be similar, but Ellis is much stronger. He plays a way more physical game. Enstrom may be the softest player in the league.

Old
06-08-2017, 02:32 PM
DashingDane

Quote:
Their heights may be similar, but Ellis is much stronger. He plays a more physical game. Enstrom is the epitome of softness.
I agree he is one of the "softer" defenders but a liability... come on . With the exception of last season he has been the Jets best defensive defenseman. And before someone says that's what he should be judged on I simply ask you remember some context. A fiancee with cancer on the other side of the world is a pretty damn big distraction that everyone seems to ignore. Now I'm not suggesting we get a young Enstrom back by any means but to expect a bounce back doesn't seem like a reach.

Old
06-08-2017, 02:43 PM
thegr8one66

Quote:
This is why Enstrom has to go. Why should we give up additional assets, lose a young player that could've been protected over someone Vegas wouldn't even want. [mod]
Just curious as to how you feel Enstrom should go?

thegr8one66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Scheifele55

Definitely not keep Enstrom unless he is willing to take an 80-85% pay cut. He is so much a pass first defenseman that his scoring has dropped to 3 goals in the last 2 years! The only reason I would want to keep him is because he is a LHD which the team needs but his skills are continuing to decrease. The biggest problem with the team is the lack of LHD within the organization. After Morrissey you have Enstrom, Stuart, Chiarot and ? Logan Stanley is atleast 2 years away at a minimum.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 06:30 PM
D1G

If we can teach him to take a hit in the corner sure let's keep em

D1G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 06:33 PM
mcpw
WPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G View Post
If we can teach him to take a hit in the corner sure let's keep em
meanwhile, Stuart's at the blue line hitting some guy while Chiarot is screening the goalie...

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 06:40 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpw View Post
meanwhile, Stuart's at the blue line hitting some guy while Chiarot is screening the goalie...
When was the last time Stuart actually connected when stepping up at the blue line.

Enstrom is a damned fine defenseman, even as he wanes. Push him down the lineup, and he'll be a fine contributor, IMO.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
When was the last time Stuart actually connected when stepping up at the blue line.

Enstrom is a damned fine defenseman, even as he wanes. Push him down the lineup, and he'll be a fine contributor, IMO.
100% agree. A couple of more years with Toby at a manageable cap hit could be key for us as we possibly transition away from Myers and Trouba. If the term and $ figure don't work then we wish him luck and wave goodbye. Toby as a #5 would be pretty solid. He may be fading a bit but he is still miles better than current alternatives or lack there of.

Hey just look at the gong show that is the Pens D core......How about Chicago getting by with 4 real D men in their last cup run.

Stu needs to go away and Ben needs to be 7-8 becasue Toby on his worse day is way further up the food chain flaws and all.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 07:11 PM
ffh

Im not gambling perreault on a pending ufa. What if he doesn't what to sign here. People talking like he is 27 and locked up for 5 more years. We got 4 years of perreault at a good aav. Or 24 year old lowry who playes against 1 of kopitar or carter or getzlaf or kesler allowing scheifele to match up against 3rd liners every game. How many easy match ups does schiefeles line get with lowry in our line up .Lets lose one of them for somebody who may decide to walk out the door next july . And dano and a pick doesnt even come close to changing vegas' mind . Try armia and a pick. Maybe.

ffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

ffh: Enstrom has a NMC. If he didn't, I'd be more than happy to expose him. I don't understand why people insist on either ignoring his clause, or pretending it'll be easy to get him to waive.

I seriously doubt he'll get bought out as well. He's far, far better than our other options. The ****ing guy can actually move the puck and, y'know, play hockey. That tends to be important when you want to win games.

And before someone talks about the number of games we win with/without him, you're welcome to subscribe to that nonsense, but I think it's ********. You tend to win more games with better players.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 08:13 PM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
ffh: Enstrom has a NMC. If he didn't, I'd be more than happy to expose him. I don't understand why people insist on either ignoring his clause, or pretending it'll be easy to get him to waive.

I seriously doubt he'll get bought out as well. He's far, far better than our other options. The ****ing guy can actually move the puck and, y'know, play hockey. That tends to be important when you want to win games.

And before someone talks about the number of games we win with/without him, you're welcome to subscribe to that nonsense, but I think it's ********. You tend to win more games with better players.
Excuse me for explaining why i think we shouldn't keep enstrom on a should we keep enstrom or not thread. I would rather he just waive and stay.

Last edited by ffh: 06-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old
06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheifele55 View Post
Definitely not keep Enstrom unless he is willing to take an 80-85% pay cut. He is so much a pass first defenseman that his scoring has dropped to 3 goals in the last 2 years! The only reason I would want to keep him is because he is a LHD which the team needs but his skills are continuing to decrease. The biggest problem with the team is the lack of LHD within the organization. After Morrissey you have Enstrom, Stuart, Chiarot and ? Logan Stanley is atleast 2 years away at a minimum.
This post is a rambling contradiction

Eyeseeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
Excuse me for explaining why i think we shouldn't keep enstrom on a should we keep enstrom or not thread. I would rather he just waive and stay.
The problem is we have to keep him. This org will not buy him out and he has a NMC. And nobody, including you have ever been able to give a good reason why he would waive.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 11:53 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
The problem is we have to keep him. This org will not buy him out and he has a NMC. And nobody, including you have ever been able to give a good reason why he would waive.
I think there have been a few reasons floated why Toby might waive. 1) Being selected by LV may give him an opportunity to play higher up the lineup thereby increasing his value for a future contract. 2) He may appreciate that waiving and not being selected allows the Jets to protect more players giving them a stronger team going into the season. 3) It may be implied that returned loyalty now will result in kind in the future. 4) Or just maybe he wouldn't mind going to the desert for his last season in the NHL and play a winter wearing shorts and a t-shirt to work then getting flipped to a contender at the TD for a chance at the cup before he retires.

All plausible reasons to waive.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I think there have been a few reasons floated why Toby might waive. 1) Being selected by LV may give him an opportunity to play higher up the lineup thereby increasing his value for a future contract. 2) He may appreciate that waiving and not being selected allows the Jets to protect more players giving them a stronger team going into the season. 3) It may be implied that returned loyalty now will result in kind in the future. 4) Or just maybe he wouldn't mind going to the desert for his last season in the NHL and play a winter wearing shorts and a t-shirt to work then getting flipped to a contender at the TD for a chance at the cup before he retires.

All plausible reasons to waive.
1 is ridiculous.
2 is fine except if he doesn't want to go to Vegas what happens if they pick him?
3 is possible but again what happens if Vegas picks him? Do we still sign him a year from now? Is that promised deal still on the table?
4. I have always maintained that the only reason Toby would waive is that he actually wants to live in Las Vegas. I'm just not sure why I should believe that is true.

The bottom line for me is that all of this is just wishful thinking by certain people. It just doesn't seem very likely.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 01:37 AM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
you don't know that he wont waive. you don't know that the jets wont buy him out. and 1 good reason he would waive is him knowing the jets would rather have lowry and perreault and armia and copp here instead of him by asking him to waive.