HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 NHL Draft Discussion | Part II

View Poll Results: Of the available selections, who do you draft at 22nd OV?
Kailer Yamamoto 73 51.41%
Shane Bower 1 0.70%
Robert Thomas 26 18.31%
Ryan Poehling 7 4.93%
Conor Timmins 11 7.75%
Erik Brannstrom 9 6.34%
Kole Lind 9 6.34%
Jaret Anderson-Dolan 3 2.11%
Isaac Ratcliffe 0 0%
Jason Robertson 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
I drafted Yamamoto, so I voted Yamamoto. just too much skill and scoring ability to ignore.

Form a future big-medium-skinny line of Lucic-McDavid-Yamamoto just like NES hockey.

Old
06-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yamamoto is the best goal scorer coming out of the WHL this year, scored goals at a higher rate than Nolan Patrick.

Most of his goals are what I'd expect of a "one shot scorer"
He reminds me of Caggiula. Small but has skill and get's to the areas needed. I agree he would be a good pick.

Old
06-07-2017, 10:34 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralyzer View Post
you calling lucic fat? I resent that
i said big mmmk

Old
06-07-2017, 10:34 AM
ChaoticOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post

absolutely. Lucic and Yamamoto would look like they were having a father-son skate out there.

Old
06-07-2017, 10:35 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
He reminds me of Caggiula. Small but has skill and get's to the areas needed. I agree he would be a good pick.
I'm really curious to see where he goes in the draft. With Debrincat dropping last year, you'd have to think Yamamoto will too to some extent. Either way, he's a player I'd like to see in the org.

Old
06-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
i said big mmmk

Old
06-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
absolutely. Lucic and Yamamoto would look like they were having a father-son skate out there.
The more i look at that picture the more i see Caggiula - Mcdavid - Lucic. Might be a good theme for a GDT if that line ever becomes a thing.

Old
06-07-2017, 11:47 AM
40oz

Craig Button's final ranking. Always, err, interesting.

Owen Tippet drops to 22? Poehling and POJ at 12 and 13?

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hisch...nking-1.772654

Old
06-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Glass

I think it comes down to a few things. This list didn't mention Klim Kostin, if you don't think he will be available, it will bump somebody else out like Vesalainen, Andersson, or Tolvanen. If Kostin is available, have to think he's in the conversation.

Kostin - High offensive ceiling. Criticized for play away from the puck, inconsistency in effort. Will he stay in the KHL? (it helps we have a couple Penza natives in Slepyshev & Paigin).
Yamamoto - High offensive ceiling. 5'9" is small, but 5'7" is really small, and also only 146 lbs. As a late birthday, how much more will he grow, and how much mass can he add? It takes one injury to this player to put him in the conversation with Benson.

Players who could get bumped to #22
Vesalainen - Has all the tools; safer pick.
Tolvanen - Shown fine 2-way ability, but hasn't shown consistent effort for the defensive side of things. Otherwise great offensive talent, connection to Rasanen. Will attend Boston College, which is a great program.
Andersson - Glue that holds everything together, can play LW, RW, C, 2-way ability. Projects as a 2nd line guy who provides stability.

I would pick any of the above three over Yamamoto.

Not interested in Foote or Timmins, I like Jokiharju but he's a bit of a reach from #22.

Old
06-07-2017, 12:53 PM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:

Button usually values hockey sense pretty highly, so his Tippett ranking makes sense.

He has some insane physical tools, but definitely lacks there.

Old
06-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Aceboogie

Lias Andersson dropping to us would be pretty incredible. He has really high upside and a Wennberg type player. Upside of a good 2c (Kesler like maybe?) and could also be that very good 3c

How is Andersson's skating compared to Lander. Scouting report sounds like Landers did

Old
06-07-2017, 01:34 PM
MinimaMoralia

Voted Yamamoto, but would actually prefer Brannstrom. The guy is just so good, his intelligence in all three zones is off the charts, and he is just a wizard at the passing game. Capable of threading long tape-to-tape passes through traffic at just the perfect weight for the puck carrier to control. This guy could have multiple 50+ point seasons in the league. Perfect player for McDavid.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Oilers grab Jonathan Smart in the third round if he's still available. I think he's got future top-four potential all over him.

Last edited by MinimaMoralia: 06-07-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old
06-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimaMoralia View Post
Voted Yamamoto, but would actually prefer Brannstrom. The guy is just so good, his intelligence in all three zones is off the charts, and he is just a wizard at the passing game. Capable of threading long tape-to-tape passes through traffic at just the perfect weight for the puck carrier to control. This guy could have multiple 50+ point seasons in the league. Perfect player for McDavid.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Oilers grab Jonathan Smart with in the third round if he's still available. I think he's got future top-four potential all over him.
Brannstrom or Yamamoto? lol. Kailer definitely has the finishing ability, I'd imagine that he'd be great with Draisaitl actually.

Old
06-07-2017, 02:07 PM
McRobbiezyg

Would love to take Mackenzie Entwistle in the 2nd/3rd round if we move down and pick up a pick or two

Old
06-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Glass

I used to argue that we should draft for need instead of best player available. I was wrong. It seems that the BPA would likely be Brannstrom, who could definitely be a great offensive defensemen. "But the LD pipeline! It's clogged!" All the better. Draft, develop, see who fits, and trade who doesn't for a lot more value.

We don't exactly have a LD prospect like Brannstom. Someone that is exceptionally good offensively & good at controlling the tempo of the game.

Sekera has a modified NMC in 2019. I'd imagine Chia tries to clear his salary at that time, and then graduates one of our numerous LD.

Paigin, Jones, Lagesson, Reinhart, and Simpson could be in the conversation... not to mention Brannstrom if he is drafted.

Old
06-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
I used to argue that we should draft for need instead of best player available. I was wrong. It seems that the BPA would likely be Brannstrom, who could definitely be a great offensive defensemen. "But the LD pipeline! It's clogged!" All the better. Draft, develop, see who fits, and trade who doesn't for a lot more value.

We don't exactly have a LD prospect like Brannstom. Someone that is exceptionally good offensively & good at controlling the tempo of the game.

Sekera has a modified NMC in 2019. I'd imagine Chia tries to clear his salary at that time, and then graduates one of our numerous LD.

Paigin, Jones, Lagesson, Reinhart, and Simpson could be in the conversation... not to mention Brannstrom if he is drafted.
Agreed. From that list, I really only see Jones as being a viable option for 2Ld (id add Nurse tho). Paigin has upside but man hes a long shot, Lagesson is long shots long shot. Simpson is a future depth player, ditto for Reinhart

Those guys are your interchangeable bottom pairing depth pieces. At 22 you want to pick someone who can be a top 2 line player. So depth pieces shouldnt factor into a decision. Only Klefbom/larsson/Nurse and maybe Jones factor in

Old
06-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Agreed. From that list, I really only see Jones as being a viable option for 2Ld (id add Nurse tho). Paigin has upside but man hes a long shot, Lagesson is long shots long shot. Simpson is a future depth player, ditto for Reinhart

Those guys are your interchangeable bottom pairing depth pieces. At 22 you want to pick someone who can be a top 2 line player. So depth pieces shouldnt factor into a decision. Only Klefbom/larsson/Nurse and maybe Jones factor in
Agree on Jones. It seems that Paigin was drafted for his defensive acumen + size, then he had that wildly successful season in Sochi, followed by disappointment in Kazan. We won't really have him surrounded until his 2nd AHL season is nearing completion imo.

Simpson and Lagesson are obvious depth pieces, Reinhart showed some promise, but I'd be happy if he become a guy that carried the 3rd pairing.

Brannstrom would be a great add though, he brings something none of the above guys do nearly as well as him. Read a few good pieces about him, seems like he himself could use a Larsson when he makes it to the next level.

How awesome would it be to have a Paigin/Simpson/Jones depth chart in the AHL, while quietly developing Berglund, Lagesson, and Brannstrom in Sweden?

Flip a D prospect for a RHD of need, or for a forward of need... possibilities are endless when you have a position of massive strength.

Old
06-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Agree on Jones. It seems that Paigin was drafted for his defensive acumen + size, then he had that wildly successful season in Sochi, followed by disappointment in Kazan. We won't really have him surrounded until his 2nd AHL season is nearing completion imo.

Simpson and Lagesson are obvious depth pieces, Reinhart showed some promise, but I'd be happy if he become a guy that carried the 3rd pairing.

Brannstrom would be a great add though, he brings something none of the above guys do nearly as well as him. Read a few good pieces about him, seems like he himself could use a Larsson when he makes it to the next level.

How awesome would it be to have a Paigin/Simpson/Jones depth chart in the AHL, while quietly developing Berglund, Lagesson, and Brannstrom in Sweden?
Add Bear to that and it would be awesome I have high hopes for Bear. Hoping he becomes our Tyson Barrie.

Old
06-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Glass

Chia mentioned Nashville and Anaheim as having the best D cores in the west... it takes time to build up a really solid D core (at least without creating holes in the roster). We'd be in great shape long-term if we drafted someone like Brannstrom in the first round, but I wouldn't complain if we ended up with Yamamoto/Thomas.

Old
06-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Chia mentioned Nashville and Anaheim as having the best D cores in the west... it takes time to build up a really solid D core (at least without creating holes in the roster). We'd be in great shape long-term if we drafted someone like Brannstrom in the first round, but I wouldn't complain if we ended up with Yamamoto/Thomas.
Took Nashville since 2010 to get there. Ryan Ellis was a 5-7 year draft and develop. Id compare Brannstrom to him, so thats the time frame. And who knows what the team will look like then

When Ellis was drafted the Preds D core was Weber, Suter, Klien, Hamhuis, Belak, Zannon

Old
06-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Jephman

Take BPA and don't shy away from a defenseman. My gut says based on the usual suspects left at 22, we go Yamamoto, Ratcliffe, or Timmins.

Old
06-07-2017, 08:16 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Quote:

I'd put a few bucks on Tippet ending up like a Toffoli type player. I'd pick him in a heartbeat if he dropped to 22.

Old
06-07-2017, 08:20 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Yamamoto kind of looks like Tyler Ennis with the way he plays.

Old
06-07-2017, 08:54 PM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
I'd put a few bucks on Tippet ending up like a Toffoli type player. I'd pick him in a heartbeat if he dropped to 22.
Different players, IMO.

Same shot, but Toffoli had the hockey sense, but no physical tools. Tippett is the other way around.

Old
06-07-2017, 09:21 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDNicks17 View Post
Different players, IMO.

Same shot, but Toffoli had the hockey sense, but no physical tools. Tippett is the other way around.
I will be honest that the shot and release are what reminded me of Toffoli right off the bat, but it's the overall skill and effort. Sleight size differences in their draft years, but very comparable now. Right shot.

“Toffoli Is not very big in stature for his Ottawa team, but he makes up for that in skill and effort, ” said director of NHL Central Scouting E.J. McGuire, as reported by The Hockey Writers’ Chris Ralph. “He’s got 79 points in his 65 games played. He’s got an NHL release and incredible accuracy with his shot. An equal threat whether he’s dishing the puck or shooting the puck himself.”

I understand the Kessel comparisons, but the speed and shot are where those comparisons end. I don't get the lack of IQ stuff that I keep seeing though. I don't find any notes on it outside of HFboards, where it seems to have sprouted up randomly.

Closed Thread