HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 NHL Draft Discussion | Part II

View Poll Results: Of the available selections, who do you draft at 22nd OV?
Kailer Yamamoto 73 51.41%
Shane Bower 1 0.70%
Robert Thomas 26 18.31%
Ryan Poehling 7 4.93%
Conor Timmins 11 7.75%
Erik Brannstrom 9 6.34%
Kole Lind 9 6.34%
Jaret Anderson-Dolan 3 2.11%
Isaac Ratcliffe 0 0%
Jason Robertson 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Phillybean

vCash: 500
I admit I am a Rocket's homer, but if Foote is available we need to take him. The Rockets have been developing outstanding Defensemen for years, it's time we get one.

If not available, Kole Lind and Drai played on the same line in his time here and did pretty good together, wouldn't mind seeming them reunited down the road.

Old
06-09-2017, 10:54 PM
snipes

Haven't followed the draft as closely as years past. Work has been too hectic lately, plus we're not near the top of the draft.

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't like Nic Hague?

Old
06-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post
Haven't followed the draft as closely as years past. Work has been too hectic lately, plus we're not near the top of the draft.

There is a better alternative that might be available. Brannstrom is small at 5'9" but has a really really great skillset that isn't matched by any other LD prospects. Read some scouting reports on the recrutes.ca websites, and it seems all Hague really has going for him is his size. Great shot, but not especially offensively minded. Average defensively, poor skating.

Brannstrom is an early birthday, eligible for the next U18's. Has time to grow a little more.

Last edited by Glass: 06-10-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old
06-10-2017, 03:59 AM
TheBusDriver
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Went with Thomas. Great overall player and plays on a great team with great coaching. I think hes a near lock for the NHL.

Old
06-10-2017, 10:38 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes View Post

Nope. He's a good player.

Old
06-10-2017, 09:27 PM
TylerJCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Not sure how center depth is a team weakness. Maybe at the prospect level it is. But at the NHL level we have the very real possibility of running McDavid-LD-RNH and run a 3 scoring line system (so not having that traditional crash and bang third line). All those 3 are still very young and could be our center depth for a long time

Not to mention, with the 22nd pick your intention is to get a top 6 player, not a 3rd line center. We are set for top 2 centers, but lack top 6 wingers long term
I just could not disagree more. And don't mean for that to be disrespectful, but I just don't see it that way.

1) the value of a centre in the NHL is far great than the value of a winger
2) a centre can always be moved to the wing if need be, but a winger rarely ever will move successfully into the middle
3) you're right, in the system the Oilers have literally nothing at centre and it is frankly foolish for an organization to essentially have no depth at such a vital position

You never know what'll happen in this league, so you need to be prepared. Wingers are a dime a dozen. Wingers are easily attainable on July 1st, at the trade deadline, through college free agency, they're the one commodity in the league that is easily attainable. Centres and D you have to draft (goalies are an outlier when talking about the first round). If a winger becomes the greater need in the long run, that centre you take at 22 you can fetch a stud on the wing with him should you be able to afford trading him. It just makes little to no sense at all to me to draft a winger with that pick barring maybe a Tippett or Vesalainen falling there.

Old
06-10-2017, 09:28 PM
TylerJCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Went with Thomas. Great overall player and plays on a great team with great coaching. I think hes a near lock for the NHL.
If they get Thomas I might just lose all control. I could not be a bigger fan of that kid's game. Reminds me a bit of Weight.

Old
06-10-2017, 09:30 PM
TylerJCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
There is a better alternative that might be available. Brannstrom is small at 5'9" but has a really really great skillset that isn't matched by any other LD prospects. Read some scouting reports on the recrutes.ca websites, and it seems all Hague really has going for him is his size. Great shot, but not especially offensively minded. Average defensively, poor skating.

Brannstrom is an early birthday, eligible for the next U18's. Has time to grow a little more.
Are you sure? I could easily be wrong, but I always thought the U18's just went by the year guys were born. So this year was the 99's, next year is the 2000's (as the eldest players in the tournament that is)

Old
06-10-2017, 09:33 PM
TylerJCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Agreed.

Center depth, especially right shooting center depth, is this teams #1 weakness. Also in general an extremely important position.

I will be disappointed if we use a first rounder and do not select the best available center. So done with wingers and left shooting defensemen. If not a center at least a right shooting defenseman, or a true elite goaltending prospect. The Oilers have not had one of those since Dub.
That really is exactly how I see it too. I don't know if Chiarelli and company would look at an Oettinger or Luukonen at 22 given how great Dylan Wells played this season, but it's an interesting thought.

Old
06-11-2017, 03:47 AM
tinfish

Is there any chance Morgan Geekie will be available in the 3rd round? Seems like an intriguing prospect. He's a second year draft eligible player, but had a great year with tri city. Put up 35g 90p. Plays C/RW. 6'2 - 168 lbs. Haven't seen any talk of him here on hfoil.

Old
06-11-2017, 11:59 AM
40oz

Old
06-11-2017, 12:13 PM
SK13
T. Yoshi Muchakoopas

vCash: 50
Well, if the Habs like him a lot, you know you should pass.

That's one of the worst drafting teams in the NHL.

Old
06-11-2017, 02:20 PM
TylerJCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfish View Post
Is there any chance Morgan Geekie will be available in the 3rd round? Seems like an intriguing prospect. He's a second year draft eligible player, but had a great year with tri city. Put up 35g 90p. Plays C/RW. 6'2 - 168 lbs. Haven't seen any talk of him here on hfoil.
Personally, I can't see it. I've seen/heard rumours that he's a candidate to go late in the 1st. His buzz seems to be really picking up momentum as we close in the draft.

Old
06-11-2017, 04:55 PM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I'm a big Frost fan.

Probably my number one candidate to explode next year in the OHL.

Old
06-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Glass

Curious, if you guys HAD to pick between #27-#30, who do you prefer? Reason I ask is... looking at a lot of mock drafts and I don't much like whats directly around us at #22. This is assuming Vesalainen, Thomas, and Brannstrom haven't fallen to us. Yamamoto is very, very small. Tolvanen is one dimensional. Kostin is high risk.

Chytil, Frost, Dolan, Jokiharju, Robertson, and Lind are more interesting picks to me.

Old
06-11-2017, 06:39 PM
TylerJCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Curious, if you guys HAD to pick between #27-#30, who do you prefer? Reason I ask is... looking at a lot of mock drafts and I don't much like whats directly around us at #22. This is assuming Vesalainen, Thomas, and Brannstrom haven't fallen to us. Yamamoto is very, very small. Tolvanen is one dimensional. Kostin is high risk.

Chytil, Frost, Dolan, Jokiharju, Robertson, and Lind are more interesting picks to me.
I see it the same way. 16 players who I'd need to know are off the board at 22. If all 16 are, then I'd look to move back. Chicago apparently wants to move up, so perhaps 26 and 57 for 22? Dallas would maybe be interested and perhaps you could do 29 and 39 for 22 and 84? Lots of possibilities that intrigue me, but without a doubt for the Oilers on the guys you listed I'd want Anderson-Dolan. Probably go JAD, Chytil, Jokiharju.

Old
06-11-2017, 07:52 PM
suddeninterest

vCash: 567
I dunno, in a draft like this I think you have to swing for it, and imo Yamamoto is the one to swing on. Literally the only knock on this player is his size. 1.5 ppg and 42 goals in your draft year is no joke. JAD benefited a lot this season from playing with Yamamoto. He makes his teammates better and is very versatile. I think if he's 4 inches taller he's a top 5 pick honestly.

Old
06-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJCampbell View Post
I see it the same way. 16 players who I'd need to know are off the board at 22. If all 16 are, then I'd look to move back. Chicago apparently wants to move up, so perhaps 26 and 57 for 22? Dallas would maybe be interested and perhaps you could do 29 and 39 for 22 and 84? Lots of possibilities that intrigue me, but without a doubt for the Oilers on the guys you listed I'd want Anderson-Dolan. Probably go JAD, Chytil, Jokiharju.
Damn dude, I'm exactly the same way. Dolan is likely the safer pick, but I have a special feeling about Chytil. He seems to play a mature game and has really good vision. Has adequate size, speed, skill, and 2-way ability to go with it, helps that he's already playing in the Czech league. Both are early birthdays.

I'd definitely do that Dallas trade.

Old
06-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Oilyveins97
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfish View Post
Doubtful. He goes between 45-60 Imo. He will be the 2nd Manitoba boy picked.

Old
06-12-2017, 04:21 AM
Zaddy Zads

I really wanna trade back in this draft. Trading back and getting two of Robertson/Chytil/Boqvist/JAD/Thomas/Lodnia/Lind/Timmins/Yamamoto/Jokiharju would be amazing. Or even if only 1 of those guys are available, then you can likely get Ikonen/Mattheos/Brook/Elvenes as the 2nd pick. Some real solid players in that 22-55 range.

Old
06-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
I really wanna trade back in this draft. Trading back and getting two of Robertson/Chytil/Boqvist/JAD/Thomas/Lodnia/Lind/Timmins/Yamamoto/Jokiharju would be amazing. Or even if only 1 of those guys are available, then you can likely get Ikonen/Mattheos/Brook/Elvenes as the 2nd pick. Some real solid players in that 22-55 range.
I feel the same way. Looking at the draft board as it stands now there are around 10 teams they could trade down with depending on how far they'd be willing to trade back.

Montreal (picks #25, 56, 58)
Chicago (26, 57)
St. Louis (27, 51)
Ottawa (28, 47)
Dallas (29, 39)
Nashville (30, 61)
Vancouver (33, 55)
New Jersey (36, 49)
Buffalo (37, 54)
Carolina (42, 52, 62)
Tampa Bay (45, 48)

I bet come draft day though some of those teams will have changed due to expansion draft wheeling and dealing. Some of the teams listed have picks at the top of the 3rd round too.

Old
06-12-2017, 08:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Just finished up a draft over on the Flyers board. I had the Oilers. Here's what I wound up with:

1(24) - Nicholas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)
3(84) - Eemeli Räsänen, D, Kingston (OHL)
3(86) - Brannon McManus, RW, Chicago (USHL)
4(117) - Zach Gallant, C, Peterborough (OHL)
5(126) - Ivan Kozlov, C/LW, Val-d`Or (QMJHL)
5(146) - Alex D'Orio, G, Saint John (QMJHL)
6(177) - Jakub Pour, RW, Plzen U20 (Extraliga Jr.)
7(208) - Kristian Roykas-Marthinsen, RW, Altumna (Allsvenskan)

I wanted to grab a defender in some of the later rounds but there were not too much that piqued my interest. Full disclosure, I am by no means a prospects expert. A lot of this was just reading scouting reports and rankings and watching random YouTube clips the day or so before making the picks.

Old
06-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Pondcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
Where would Rasmus Dahlin slot in inthis years draft?

I've heard he. Is a whiz.

Old
06-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondcake View Post
Where would Rasmus Dahlin slot in inthis years draft?

I've heard he. Is a whiz.
He would be #1 by a mile.

Old
06-12-2017, 09:16 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Just finished up a draft over on the Flyers board. I had the Oilers. Here's what I wound up with:

1(24) - Nicholas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)
3(84) - Eemeli Räsänen, D, Kingston (OHL)
3(86) - Brannon McManus, RW, Chicago (USHL)
4(117) - Zach Gallant, C, Peterborough (OHL)
5(126) - Ivan Kozlov, C/LW, Val-d`Or (QMJHL)
5(146) - Alex D'Orio, G, Saint John (QMJHL)
6(177) - Jakub Pour, RW, Plzen U20 (Extraliga Jr.)
7(208) - Kristian Roykas-Marthinsen, RW, Altumna (Allsvenskan)

I wanted to grab a defender in some of the later rounds but there were not too much that piqued my interest. Full disclosure, I am by no means a prospects expert. A lot of this was just reading scouting reports and rankings and watching random YouTube clips the day or so before making the picks.
Well the Oilers have been on record saying they're looking to add forwards with skill and speed through the draft this year. Using the top two picks on big defensemen kind of goes against that plan.

Closed Thread