HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Warren Rychel "has had discussions with the Avs about joining the front office"

Old
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Sakic is playing things way too safe with former players that he knows, not wheeling and dealing to bring in winning attitude or hard work ethic. Seems like he is way too conservative.
Just curious here, what is it Rychel's resume while at the helm of Windsor that doesn't exude "winning attitude" and "hard work ethic"?

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Just curious here, what is it Rychel's resume while at the helm of Windsor that doesn't exude "winning attitude" and "hard work ethic"?
Why hasn't one of the other 29 teams offered him a spot?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 07:34 PM
The Abusement Park

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Wasn't Rychel quoted as saying he had been talking to a few teams and had some options?

The Abusement Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Abusement Park View Post
Wasn't Rychel quoted as saying he had been talking to a few teams and had some options?
He also said he wouldn't leave if it wasn't a no brainer, so when people says he going to Avs they are offering him a position others aren't.

If someone was offering him to be a head scout or something, no one would bat an eye.

Old
06-08-2017, 08:27 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

It's an interesting rumour and I actually like Rychel, but I honestly don't care who gets hired anymore in the front office.

Maybe because for the most part, everyone they're looking at has close to little NHL experience. And I just can't see the optimism or worrying about if he will work out. Avs will eventually go through staff until they find people that work. Maybe that's next year or maybe we pull a Florida Panthers and have a decade worth of being atrocious and keep hiring the wrong people until we hit someone, I guess.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 08:39 PM
lonelybadger

Kyle dubas was interim gm straight from the OHL hfboards touts him as the next Scotty Bowman, Rychel gets offered a job and he's a sympathy pick from a nepotistic front office failure.

lonelybadger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelybadger View Post
Kyle dubas was interim gm straight from the OHL hfboards touts him as the next Scotty Bowman, Rychel gets offered a job and he's a sympathy pick from a nepotistic front office failure.
Avs have never had a GM that's been GM in the NHL elsewhere.

Avs have never had a GM that's not been employed by the organization before.

Dubas at least would have broken one of those trends.

I get that Rychel isn't a super insider and that he's built a career elsewhere. It's not like he's a Sakic here being handed the job purely because of his Avs legacy. But if they anoint him as next GM, it's a starting position way above what most successful CHL GMs get.

Old
06-08-2017, 08:59 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
1) Who's to say he hasn't had offers to leave Windsor? I believe Toronto was looking at him for something when they were doing their initial Front Office overhaul

2) What does your question have to do with his success at Windsor, which more than speaks for itself?

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I doubt it's for a GM position this late in the process. Mark Hunter was the owner and GM of the Knights when he jumped to the Leafs to become director of player personnel so it could be something along those lines. Maybe Rychel could come in and run the pro and amateur scouting departments.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 09:06 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I doubt it's for a GM position this late in the process. Mark Hunter was the owner and GM of the Knights when he jumped to the Leafs to become director of player personnel so it could be something along those lines. Maybe Rychel could come in and run the pro and amateur scouting departments.
Agreed. No way Sakic just peaces out one week before the expansion draft.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
If it's the Dubas job it's to run the hockey side of things and then be in line to take over when Sakic steps down.

If it's another job, it's minor news. But I doubt he would leave Windsor if there wasn't real substance to the job.

Old
06-08-2017, 09:57 PM
lonelybadger

Honestly sakic could step down a day before the expansion list is due and the new GM would get more done in that one day than sakic did the entire season.

Old
06-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Thepoolmaster

I don't understand why people always scream NHL experience. Might as well hire mike milbury and John ferguson jr.

Thepoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepoolmaster View Post
I don't understand why people always scream NHL experience. Might as well hire mike milbury and John ferguson jr.
I'm much less concerned about a possible Rychel hire, than most potential GM's with no NHL experience. He has a successful playing career in the NHL, and over a decade of highly successful results as GM in the OHL to utilize.

However, citing two of the worst NHL GM's in recent history as a reason that NHL experience isn't important, is cherry picking to the highest extreme. It's still incredibly important, and even more so to a team like the Avs who have consistently hired GM's and head coaches with a lack of NHL experience, and consistently had poor results because of it.

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Thepoolmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic MacK View Post
I'm much less concerned about a possible Rychel hire, than most potential GM's with no NHL experience. He has a successful playing career in the NHL, and over a decade of highly successful results as GM in the OHL.

However, citing two of the worst NHL GM's in recent history as a reason that NHL experience isn't important, is cherry picking to the highest extreme. It's still incredibly important, and even more so to a team like the Avs who have consistently hired GM's and head coaches with a lack of NHL experience, and consistently had poor results because of it.
Yeah I picked those guys on purpose because the way some people talk about hiring Avs moves is "no experience + nepotism" are the ONLY reason he's going to get hired. Both those guys are two of the worst GMs ever and have neither of those qualities. People make it sound like that would be better than following the Avs MO.

Thepoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I was referring only to Sakics tenure not Rychel. Honestly I don't know Rychel at all as an exec. My comment was more around Sakic only going with guys he knows (for coaches, staff, etc) and not willing to take many chances (specifically with the roster). Joe was steady Eddie as a player but may not be cut out to overhaul this thing.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 01:05 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepoolmaster View Post
My favorite part is when they say "We need a GM with NHL experience" and then immediately list their 12 step plan for exactly what trades, picks, and signings that experienced GM needs to do to make the team great again. Why don't they just hire you to do all that, then? "Experience" isn't a magic wand that makes other GMs agree to unbalanced trades and players agree to UFA contracts.

Last edited by McMetal: 06-09-2017 at 01:53 AM.
McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 01:50 AM
hughdreamz

Honestly the only way this is bad is if nothing comes out of this. The Avs have the same front office at the beginning of the season would be the worse case scenario. I'll take anyone new over that possible nightmare

hughdreamz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 09:11 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Honestly the only way this is bad is if nothing comes out of this. The Avs have the same front office at the beginning of the season would be the worse case scenario. I'll take anyone new over that possible nightmare
What if it's in addition to? I'm not convinced they are firing anyone, initially anyway.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 09:26 AM
lonelybadger

Nepotism is fine if the people are good.

Penguins have lemiuex, rutherford, guenin, tocchet, recchi, gonchar on staff.

Old
06-09-2017, 10:09 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
He meant Guerin. I don't know if Lemieux is involved in any roster-related decisions but one thing in common all those other guys he mentioned have over Sakic is that they've been around the league a decent bit, played on multiple teams. That's valuable experience in a way, Sakic just played on one franchise with and once he got to Colorado, he played under pretty much the same front office his whole career.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 12:37 PM
The Abusement Park

Quote:

Having Crosby and Malkin makes their jobs exponentially easier. If we had Crosby and Malkin building a contending team would be much less difficult. Not saying that they're any of those guys are bad at their jobs but they're in a better situation overall.

The Abusement Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 01:26 PM
hughdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
What if it's in addition to? I'm not convinced they are firing anyone, initially anyway.
Then they just add another cook to the kitchen of inept chefs.

hughdreamz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

It's hard to tell how good front office are at their job, but even if you add Rychel to Sakic, Billington, MacFarland it's a lot of people who are relatively inexperienced. It would be nice with someone more experienced in the mix, even if it's not in the top role. Dubas at least had the benefit of having worked under Lamoriello and with Babcock for two years. That's a lot of winning mindset around him.

I guess MacFarland was with Blue Jackets for a while and Billington has been with Avs for a while but both teams have wandered aimlessly in a competitive sense for the last decade so it's hard to argue they have been brought up in winning environments.

In the end if you replace Sakic with a similarly inexperienced guy, it's not like you are losing a lot. I don't get the feeling Sakic loves this job, but perhaps it's the losing he dislikes.