Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Should the Bruins do this Summer? II

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2017, 08:56 AM
moltisanti

vCash: 500
Jimmy Hayes is listed on TSN's trade board. He's a hot commodity.

Old
06-10-2017, 10:12 AM
DrJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltisanti View Post
Jimmy Hayes is listed on TSN's trade board. He's a hot commodity.
BOS- Jimmy Hayes

PRO- Jake DeBrusk

Do we have a deal?

Old
06-10-2017, 10:27 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Last thread I talked about how I think Duchene should be their #1 target as he would help solve most of their problems up front and is only has two years left. Expensive but worth it in my mind. - but I would also ask about Eric Staal but they're probably not going to move him.

LHD isn't a problem at the moment. Much more concerned with getting another solid veteran forward myself and dealing with LHD next summer or the year after. Chara - Krug might not be ideal long term but it's more than fine next year. Fix the depth scoring and don't go on a wish and a hope that a whole tonne of kids can step in and be impact players off the hop.
Keeping Fenian's comments a few posts above in mind, I think that this next 2 months provides Sweeney with the rare opportunity to make this team into an immediate contender. This won't be easy, but it is doable because they have assets, but they need to be willing to take a risk or two.

I agree with Fenian, in that aside from McAvoy and maybe 1-2 others, none of the prospects project to be first liners or top pairing defenseman.

What Sweeney needs to do first is identify the player or two who may be very good right now, but can become elite in a new setting. I'm talking about something like the Neely trade, Savard and Chara signings, etc.

Second they need to really scrutinize their assets and deem who is untouchable and who isn't, understanding that they may need to bite the bullet and move an "untouchable".

Then they need to be prepared to over pay a bit.

I'm posting this in response to this post because Duchene may be that type of guy. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play a lot, but 410 points in 570ish games on a poor/mid tier team is good production, IMO. After him and those rumored to be available (Brodin, Fowler, Silferberg, etc.) I don't know who I'd target, but given the climate due to the expansion draft, there are bound to be surprising players available.

To me, and most here it seems, McAvoy is a consensus untouchable. Frederic and Senyshyn are also mentioned frequently as well.

Personally, I'd be actively shopping anyone not named McAvoy and Pastrnak (I include Pasta because he is expansion exempt) in order to get a legit #1/2 or a 65-70 point forward.

Last edited by sarge88: 06-10-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old
06-10-2017, 10:35 AM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawkey91 View Post
I don't think trading for Duchene makes sense unless we're also planning on moving Krejci or Backes out as well. I could be wrong here, but I believe Colorado moving him to the wing was about as effective as us playing Spooner there, and that was with MacKinnon as his C. If we're getting him just to play wing anyways, Landeskog would be a cheaper and likely better fit, as well as other players around the league like Palat. And for a team already as close to the cap as we are, it makes no sense to get him to play 3C.

LD might not be an issue for next year, but I have a hard time believing any of our prospects will be top-4 ready by 18/19, and then we're banking on a 41-year old Chara who needs a new contract or Torey Krug to be our #1LD. Brodin is looking doubtful to be a legit #1D, but with his contract and the potentially diminished cost to get him, he'd be fine all up and down that left side depending on how everyone else develops, and he helps balance out the offensive parts of our D. I have no interest in moving assets for Dumba though -- he's redundant in this defense now as an offensive guy, and moving Carlo (one of our only defensive D) for him makes even less sense.
I think it makes a tonne of sense to have him at #3C - with the option of moving him to wing if needed. (he played wing for Team Canada and some in Colorado). Comparing him to Spooner is unfair. Duchene had a brutal year - for sure. No sugar-coating that - and seemed to give up half way through the season. But if he never - you wouldn't hear his name at all. The guy has been a small notch below Tavares throughout their careers (prior to this last season).

t wouldn't move Krejci or Backes if you brought in Duchene as I'd pencil him in as #3C with Backes on his wing. IMO the problem the last few years has been forward depth that can make an impact on the game. Beleseky, Spooner, Hayes, Vatrano, haven't been able to help the team win games - at least not to the level you need them to. The only player that really out-performed his position last year was Dom Moore

Bergeron, Krejci, Duchene, Moore - would give the Bruins the best centre depth in the NHL and allow you to introduce a few of the kids everyone is clamouring for.

Ideally you'd add another impact forward and a solid LHD this summer but we'll see if they can afford it - cap wise and trade wise.

Old
06-10-2017, 10:50 AM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Keeping Fenian's comments a few posts above in mind, I think that this next 2 months provides Sweeney with the rare opportunity to make this team into an immediate contender. This won't be easy, but it is doable because they have assets, but they need to be willing to take a risk or two.

I agree with Fenian, in that aside from McAvoy and maybe 1-2 others, none of the prospects project to be first liners or top pairing defenseman.

What Sweeney needs to do first is identify the player or two who may be very good right now, but can become elite in a new setting. I'm talking about something like the Neely trade, Savard and Chara signings, etc.

Second they need to really scrutinize their assets and deem who is untouchable and who isn't, understanding that they may need to bite the bullet and move an "untouchable".

Then they need to be prepared to over pay a bit.

I'm posting this in response to this post because Duchene may be that type of guy. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play a lot, but 410 points in 570ish games on a poor/mid tier team is good production, IMO. After him and those rumored to be available (Brodin, Fowler, Silferberg, etc.) I don't know who I'd target, but given the climate due to the expansion draft, there are bound to be surprising players available.

To me, and most here it seems, McAvoy is a consensus untouchable. Frederic and Senyshyn are also mentioned frequently as well.

Personally, I'd be actively shopping anyone not named McAvoy and Pasternak (I include Pasta because he is expansion exempt) in order to get a legit #1/2 or a 65-70 point forward.
I honestly believe that this team could go from good to excellent with a few moves this summer. Sweeney is going to have to make some tough decisions on what kids and prospects he envisions going forward with and which ones are not part of his future plans. Ideally he'd have one more year to make some of these calls but with all the names rumoured out there this summer seems like the time to make a trade or two. A good chance a bunch of us fans are going to say goodbye to some of our favourite prospects (mine being DeBrusk and Zboril) and watch them succeed (or not) with another team.

Unless Carlo and McAvoy regress (not sure if I pencil McAvoy in or not just yet as he might need a bit of time in the A or press box still) or Chara is toast (all of which are quite possible) their 6 d-men are only going to cost them around $13M which is amazingly cheap and I just think that somehow, someway, you need to juggle things around and take advantage of that.

Old
06-10-2017, 11:11 AM
BruinsFanMike82

Roster dilemmas: Wild facing tough choices as NHL expansion nears

[Brent Flahr, the Wild’s senior vice president of hockey operations] guesses that it’s “doubtful” the Wild makes a big splash before expansion Vegas’ roster is announced June 21.

“People have kicked tires and thrown names out there, which are interesting,” Flahr said. “But they’re not really sure what they’re doing either. It’s a lot of moving parts.”

The Wild is expected to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie as opposed to eight skaters and one goalie. The team has undoubtedly gotten calls on defensemen Matt Dumba or Jonas Brodin.

If one presumes defensemen Ryan Suter and Jared Spurgeon are being protected and the Wild has to choose between protecting one of Dumba, Brodin and Marco Scandella, teams are banking on the fact that the Wild wouldn’t want to lose Dumba or Brodin for nothing.

But, Flahr said, “You’d just rather lose a player than make a bad trade.”

http://www.startribune.com/will-wild...lla/427294733/

Old
06-10-2017, 11:23 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFanMike82 View Post
Roster dilemmas: Wild facing tough choices as NHL expansion nears

[Brent Flahr, the Wild’s senior vice president of hockey operations] guesses that it’s “doubtful” the Wild makes a big splash before expansion Vegas’ roster is announced June 21.

“People have kicked tires and thrown names out there, which are interesting,” Flahr said. “But they’re not really sure what they’re doing either. It’s a lot of moving parts.”

The Wild is expected to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie as opposed to eight skaters and one goalie. The team has undoubtedly gotten calls on defensemen Matt Dumba or Jonas Brodin.

If one presumes defensemen Ryan Suter and Jared Spurgeon are being protected and the Wild has to choose between protecting one of Dumba, Brodin and Marco Scandella, teams are banking on the fact that the Wild wouldn’t want to lose Dumba or Brodin for nothing.

But, Flahr said, “You’d just rather lose a player than make a bad trade.”

http://www.startribune.com/will-wild...lla/427294733/
You'd rather just lose a player then make a bad trade? He'd rather lose Brodin or Dumba for nothing than deal them for anything? I'd fire him immediately.

Old
06-10-2017, 11:24 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
BOS- Jimmy Hayes

PRO- Jake DeBrusk

Do we have a deal?
Hahahah. Love it.

Old
06-10-2017, 11:28 AM
sarge88

Quote:
I honestly believe that this team could go from good to excellent with a few moves this summer. Sweeney is going to have to make some tough decisions on what kids and prospects he envisions going forward with and which ones are not part of his future plans. Ideally he'd have one more year to make some of these calls but with all the names rumoured out there this summer seems like the time to make a trade or two. A good chance a bunch of us fans are going to say goodbye to some of our favourite prospects (mine being DeBrusk and Zboril) and watch them succeed (or not) with another team.

Unless Carlo and McAvoy regress (not sure if I pencil McAvoy in or not just yet as he might need a bit of time in the A or press box still) or Chara is toast (all of which are quite possible) their 6 d-men are only going to cost them around $13M which is amazingly cheap and I just think that somehow, someway, you need to juggle things around and take advantage of that.
Any time I read about prospects here, I think about the fact that in the past there have been people who wanted no part of moving:

Hamil, Caron, Knight, Koko, etc.

Personally, I think McAvoy is legit. Beyond him I have no idea what any of them are going to be.

Old
06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
PacificNWBruin

Quote:
I think it makes a tonne of sense to have him at #3C - with the option of moving him to wing if needed. (he played wing for Team Canada and some in Colorado). Comparing him to Spooner is unfair. Duchene had a brutal year - for sure. No sugar-coating that - and seemed to give up half way through the season. But if he never - you wouldn't hear his name at all. The guy has been a small notch below Tavares throughout their careers (prior to this last season).

t wouldn't move Krejci or Backes if you brought in Duchene as I'd pencil him in as #3C with Backes on his wing. IMO the problem the last few years has been forward depth that can make an impact on the game. Beleseky, Spooner, Hayes, Vatrano, haven't been able to help the team win games - at least not to the level you need them to. The only player that really out-performed his position last year was Dom Moore

Bergeron, Krejci, Duchene, Moore - would give the Bruins the best centre depth in the NHL and allow you to introduce a few of the kids everyone is clamouring for.

Ideally you'd add another impact forward and a solid LHD this summer but we'll see if they can afford it - cap wise and trade wise.
You're forgetting about his $6m cap hit along with Pasta needing a new contract. I'd assume he'd get around $6m. As it sits currently there's $10m cap room before any moves and including Chara's cap hit change aswell. If you get Duchene then there's no room to get a LHD. You would have to get rid of Hayes and Belesky to make any moves, then we would have holes in the lines. Even though I'm excited for the youth, I'm not penciling them in instantly. It's just not a safe assumption they can play at the next level consistently.

Old
06-10-2017, 11:43 AM
sleepyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
You'd rather just lose a player then make a bad trade? He'd rather lose Brodin or Dumba for nothing than deal them for anything? I'd fire him immediately.
That was my take as well. WTF is this guy thinking?

Old
06-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4000000
Clark Booth warns

http://www.dotnews.com/columns/2017/...-and-ali-vs-us

Quote:
To Bruins: Don’t overthink things

It might be easy for the Bruins to assess their Stanley Cup experience with Ottawa and draw the wrong conclusions. After all, the gritty Senators came within an unlucky puck-bounce in Game 7’s double-overtime of stunning the Penguins, thereby making it to the Finals. Equally razor-thin was the margin by which the Bruins got ousted by the Senators in Round One: All four of their excruciating losses were by one goal, three of them in overtime.

How facile might it be for the Bruins’ brain trust to trip over their own deductive reasoning and falsely conclude they’re equals and are but half a break and a friendly referee’s favorable whistle from being where the Penguins themselves now sit, within the grasp of the Cup. That would be folly, of course. But the danger-– given the level of experience of said brain trust – exists. Would that it were so simple.

Old
06-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyh View Post
Did you ever consider that this could be GMspeak for "If you up your offer, I'll.............?

Old
06-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
BOS- Jimmy Hayes

PRO- Jake DeBrusk

Do we have a deal?
Frankly, I'd rather have it the other way around.

Old
06-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Hazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
Well, it would be either losing a player for nothing and still having one of Dumba or Brodin or trading Dumba or Brodin, don't think return would be bad like Flahr mentions, losing the non-traded defenseman in the expansion draft, and having a worse defensive core going forward since you lose two young great defensemen.

I've seen Minnesota fans mention this, and it does make some sense if the plan for Minnesota is to still remain competitive.

Old
06-10-2017, 12:43 PM
DrJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Frankly, I'd rather have it the other way around.
I'm not sure we are on the same page, but we should be

Old
06-10-2017, 01:27 PM
DoubleAAAA

Rumblings on twitter (Friedman) that Canes might listen on Hanifin

Old
06-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Drift

Are there any rumors out there about us? Haven't heard much rumor wise with us. Besides the guessing on Dumba or Brodin

Last edited by Drift: 06-10-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old
06-10-2017, 01:41 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Not sure he is worth what it will cost. He still has huge upside I guess. He was awful for a large stretch of the season; although apparently finished strong. He was also pretty awful from most accounts in the world championships

Old
06-10-2017, 03:12 PM
cheg1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyh View Post
Posturing for sure, at least I would hope...

Old
06-10-2017, 03:22 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Rumors they wanted all 3 2015 picks, and Sweeney backed out.

Would anyone trade Debrusk, Zboril, and Senyshyn for Hanifin? Don't think Carolina does.

Old
06-10-2017, 03:39 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post

Would anyone trade Debrusk, Zboril, and Senyshyn for Hanifin? Don't think Carolina does.
It's been a couple of years since that draft so I don't recall the exact rumor ( someone correct me here if I'm wrong please ) but I seem to remember there being a verbal and/or a handshake deal for either the Arizona pick or the Carolina pick that Sweeney was expecting to go down but the other team backed out of it at the last second. I also seem to recall speculation that Sweeney's thought process here was that sure, on paper and in public perception losing Hamilton is a blow to the franchise, but there would be a quick, maybe even instant turnaround with Hanafin a local kid who was a die hard Bruins fan and has potential as a future number 1. Out with one kid who didn't want to be here, in with another kid who WANTED to be here. In an interview after the draft, Sweeney specifically said that he wanted to identify players who wanted to be in Boston, which gives further tinder to the fire behind the rumor of Kyle Connor purposely blowing his interview with the Bruins while Gabrielle, a Marchand and Bruins fan, was targeted and selected later in the same draft.

Old
06-10-2017, 03:44 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post

I don't at this point. This might be a mistake, but I like the development of Senyshyn and Debrusk a lot , and still have solid hopes for Zboril.

Old
06-10-2017, 05:48 PM
ashnathan

Thats op 5 dumbest thing i've hesrd a teams management say. Id rather lose a good player for nothing than receive a draft pick for him. Is this guy high?

I agree eith Fenway's post, Bruins could have been right in the thick of it this finals season but for some injuries and some pretty awful calls. I think a top 4 LHD away, and if one of the kids dont step up on the wings hopefully we can secure a good winger and we should be sitting pretty. Ill be the first to admit though this post season has been.....weird. Im pretty confident hesding into next season, additions and subtractions of bad contracts will only make me moreso.

Old
06-10-2017, 06:30 PM
burstnbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnathan View Post
Thats op 5 dumbest thing i've hesrd a teams management say. Id rather lose a good player for nothing than receive a draft pick for him. Is this guy high?

I agree eith Fenway's post, Bruins could have been right in the thick of it this finals season but for some injuries and some pretty awful calls. I think a top 4 LHD away, and if one of the kids dont step up on the wings hopefully we can securek a good winger and we should be sitting pretty. Ill be the first to admit though this post season has been.....weird. Im pretty confident hesding into next season, additions and subtractions of bad contracts will only make me moreso.
I don't want to speak for the guy but I think this is a poor articulation of their situation. If they protect Rumba and trade brodin for peanuts, they are still going to lose scandella. Their best bet is to trade both for exempt assets but that is a lot of heavy lifting. Losing two of your top four in one off-season is difficult to recover from, as we all know too well.

Closed Thread