Winnipeg Jets 2017-18 Schedule

Old
06-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
This makes sense to some degree and I know it was popular for the Moose in the AHL but I think the issue with this would be that all teams would want to see the biggest drawing teams come to town. It might not be as much of an issue for Canadian teams as we all sell out on a regular basis but how would Columbus feel about having Canadian teams coming in for a 2 game weekend when they would much prefer the Rangers or Penguins, etc. Also, it's nice being able to see every team in the league at least once during the season.

I never suggested any change in the balance of which teams see which other teams. Where some team is only going to play 1 game in a particular arena in a season it obviously doesn't work. 1 game set it is.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 04:41 PM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
I touched base with a gent I know at True North (Jetsowner and JHF veterans know who I'm talking about) and directly requested more weekend Jets games. I got a winking 'I'll see what we can do' type of response.

I don't know how to read that...

m.

TheDeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 05:26 PM
csk

vCash: 500
I prefer weekday games

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 06:05 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I never suggested any change in the balance of which teams see which other teams. Where some team is only going to play 1 game in a particular arena in a season it obviously doesn't work. 1 game set it is.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you had said "Every time a team goes to a city, play 2 games". If a team went to 20 cities and played 2 games there, it would use up 40 of their 41 road games which leaves 1 additional game to play but 10 teams that you haven't played yet. The same thing would occur for home games. I suppose overall each team would face all teams over the course of the season but it doesn't seem like each team in the league would pay a visit to your team's building under that format. Like I said, I may have misunderstood your point but that is how it played out in my mind.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 06:37 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Here's an idea......let's start with the NHL schedule and build it out to be customer friendly then once that is done let the AHL fill in around it.
That should be what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I believe the NHL schedule always comes out before the AHL schedule. The Jets should always try to get as many Saurday night (not afternoon) games as possible because they provide for the best atmosphere. People are generally in a good mood knowing they can go out after the game and sleep in the next day. The Jets should avoid Sunday night games as it is usually quiet in the arena and makes those games less fun to be at. Perhaps people are in a somber mood to begin with since they may be thinking about starting another work week the next day on Monday.

It does but the Jets provide the NHL with a calendar of available dates. Many believe the Jets blocked off many dates for 2 game AHL weekend series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
Who's responsible for this? The NHL or True North's event schedule.

People love blaming the NHL, but MTS Centre is a rather busy venue.
I did quite a bit of research on this topic last season .

Let's remember the Jets 1st weekend game last season was NYE.

An excerpt from last season.

Quote:
It is extremely disappointing that the Jets do not play a Friday or Saturday home game until December 31. By comparison the Scotia Bank Saddledome in Calgary and home to the Calgary Flames is home to 10 NHL games on Fridays and Saturdays up to and including December 31 which is more than the Jets have all season. In addition, the Flames host a total of 16 Friday and Saturday games throughout the season while the Jets host a paltry 9 over 7 weekends. The Scotia Bank Saddledome is an excellent comparison for venue availability as it also hosts a second hockey team the Calgary Hitmen, a professional lacrosse team and ranks #94 on Pollstar’s 2015 venue rankings. By comparison the MTSC ranks #96 according to Pollstar. http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...renaVenues.pdf .
For further comparison the Manitoba Moose play 15 home games on Friday and Saturday over 13 weekends. As a Jets season ticket holder for the past 5 seasons I find this to be putting the AHL affiliate and their “family” oriented Moose ahead of the Jets for weekend dates. Clearly weekend games were something that the Manitoba Moose find to be important as indicated on their website during their schedule release earlier this week “Manitoba’s schedule features an increased number of weekend home dates from last season with the Moose playing 24 games on Friday, Saturday or Sunday at MTS Centre.” Weekday and Sunday games are always going to be present on NHL schedules but this schedule is really void of any substantial amount of Friday and Saturday games. Nothing is more Canadian than a Saturday night NHL home game with the family.
To further add to the puzzling lack of weekend games for the Winnipeg Jets one only needs look at the two busiest arena venues in North America according to Pollstar 2015, Madison Square Garden and Barclays centre. The Rangers play 7 Friday and Saturday games while the Islanders play 8. Thus, these venues are within a two game range of the Jets Friday and Saturday games yet are miles apart from MTSC in terms of venue bookings. Division rival Dallas plays 15 Friday and Saturday games in the #19 busiest venue in the world in a building shared with an NBA team. I could go on with other examples but I am sure that you get my point.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 07:24 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Any predictions when schedule will be released? I'll go with Thurs Jun 22 so it doesn't interfere with expansion draft announcements.

drumzan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Any predictions when schedule will be released? I'll go with Thurs Jun 22 so it doesn't interfere with expansion draft announcements.
Bettman said it would be released the week of the draft so you could be right.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:42 PM
DowntownBooster

True North should not give precedence to the Moose over the Jets when it comes to weekend games. The Jets fans should not be treated as second class citizens when they're paying first class freight. Give the Jets Saturday night which is obviously the prime night of the week for hockey in Canada.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 10:33 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
I touched base with a gent I know at True North (Jetsowner and JHF veterans know who I'm talking about) and directly requested more weekend Jets games. I got a winking 'I'll see what we can do' type of response.

I don't know how to read that...

m.
ok there slickster, were you chewing a toothpick wearing a trench coat and throwing double hand pistols too

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Aavco Cup

Old
06-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Aavco Cup

Old
06-12-2017, 09:42 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Aw nuts, my 22nd guess was wrong. 20th was my 2nd guess as it's just before Las Vegas team is announced. So, makes sense.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Four games at home.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 12:51 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Four games at home.
That's always the case. It's in the season ticket holder agreement to have 4 pre-season home games every season.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Four games at home.
That's the way it always is no?

Old
06-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Hobble

And somehow Minny already has 2 games in hand on us!!!

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
That's the way it always is no?
Not always.

When I was living in Calgary, the Flames sometimes played five games at home.

Old
06-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Not always.

When I was living in Calgary, the Flames sometimes played five games at home.
I wasn't talking about anyone but the Jets. I thought it was in the STH contract the there will be 4 pre-season games. Other than the lockout year have there not always been 4 pre-season games at home?

Old
06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Its ridiculous the Jets schedule 4 home games in preseason every year and charge full (C level) price. I recall someone did a comparison last year/year before, and the Jets are the only NHL team not to give a preseason discount. Guess that is our market reality, ----- or its what TNSE needs to spend the cap, build TN Square, and renovate the barn.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:29 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Looking at our TPA, I don't see any game # breakdown. Only the full annual fee under section 3. Maybe its broken down by game # in the split-season TPA accounts.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about anyone but the Jets. I thought it was in the STH contract the there will be 4 pre-season games. Other than the lockout year have there not always been 4 pre-season games at home?

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Looking at our TPA, I don't see any game # breakdown. Only the full annual fee under section 3. Maybe its broken down by game # in the split-season TPA accounts.
A full season includes 45 games total according to this

https://www.nhl.com/jets/tickets/seats

Old
06-12-2017, 01:39 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Its ridiculous the Jets schedule 4 home games in preseason every year and charge full (C level) price. I recall someone did a comparison last year/year before, and the Jets are the only NHL team not to give a preseason discount. Guess that is our market reality, ----- or its what TNSE needs to spend the cap, build TN Square, and renovate the barn.
Renovation is coming from the province via gambling revenue. and spend to the cap??

The semantics of having 4 pre-season games and charging regular season prices is bad. A lot of teams play neutral site games and only have 3 pre-season games. But you can't blame them for charging what the market will bear. My only concern is that a lot of the good will they had is wearing thin and you don't want them to wait too long to address some of the issues.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:42 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
A full season includes 45 games total according to this

https://www.nhl.com/jets/tickets/seats
Only last year it was only 44, so that's meaningless.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
I stand corrected.

Old
06-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Only last year it was only 44, so that's meaningless.
Because of the Heritage Classic - I think there's a clause in there about special event games.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote