Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2017-18 Schedule

Old
06-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Renovation is coming from the province via gambling revenue. and spend to the cap??

The semantics of having 4 pre-season games and charging regular season prices is bad. A lot of teams play neutral site games and only have 3 pre-season games. But you can't blame them for charging what the market will bear. My only concern is that a lot of the good will they had is wearing thin and you don't want them to wait too long to address some of the issues.
4 home preseason games or no Jets again

Hmmm tough choice

Although they could just raise all the ticket prices 10% and make the preseason games optional.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you had said "Every time a team goes to a city, play 2 games". If a team went to 20 cities and played 2 games there, it would use up 40 of their 41 road games which leaves 1 additional game to play but 10 teams that you haven't played yet. The same thing would occur for home games. I suppose overall each team would face all teams over the course of the season but it doesn't seem like each team in the league would pay a visit to your team's building under that format. Like I said, I may have misunderstood your point but that is how it played out in my mind.

I think he just meant that the divisional games would be opportunities to double up home games against teams that you have multiple home dates against in a season. Even just 5 or 6 of these sets would make a big difference in how the season could be laid out. Not a bad idea. It would suck to be doubling up important matches when you have a bunch of injuries... but that could randomly happen anyways.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Arthur Fonzarelli

vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
That should be what happens.

It does but the Jets provide the NHL with a calendar of available dates. Many believe the Jets blocked off many dates for 2 game AHL weekend series.

I did quite a bit of research on this topic last season.

Let's remember the Jets 1st weekend game last season was NYE.

An excerpt from last season.
Did you share this research? I clicked the link you provided & it's simply the top 200 world venues.

You choose the Saddledome, so lets do a direct comparison. The NHL season began October 12th. "*" denotes Friday/Saturday events

October 12-Kanye West
October 15-Carrie Underwood*
October 18-Moose
October 20-Moose
October 26-The 1975
October 28-Moose*
October 29-Moose*
November 2-Chicago/Earth Wind & Fire
November 3-Moose
November 4-Florida Georgia Line*
November 5-Moose*
November 6-Culture Club/Platinum Blonde
November 7-Winnipeg Harvest
November 22-Moose
November 23-Moose
November 30-Cirque Du Soleil
December 1-Moose
December 3-Moose*
December 4-Moose
December 7-Moose
December 8-Moose
December 9-Moose*
December 10-Moose*
December 16-Skills Competition*
December 17-Jerry Seinfeld*
December 30-Moose*
January 1-Moose
January 3-Moose
January 4-Moose
January 7-Moose*
January 8-Moose
January 13 Moose*
January 14-Blue Rodeo*
January 15-Moose
January 28-Monster Jam*
January 29-Monster Jam
February 1-Dierks Bentley
February 3-Moose*
February 4-Moose*
February 5-WWE
February 16-Disney On Ice
February 17-Disney On Ice*
February 18-Disney On Ice*
February 19-Disney On Ice
February 21-Moose
February 22-Moose
February 23-Billy Talent
February 25-Moose*
February 26-Moose
March 7-Eric Church
March 9-Moose
March 10-Moose*
March 12-Moose
March 14-Moose
March 17-Moose*
March 18-Moose*
March 22-Chris Stapleton
March 23-Moose
March 24-Moose*
March 28-Lumineers
April 4-Moose
April 5-Moose
April 7-Moose
April 9-Moose
April 12-The 90's Tour

65 non Jets events were booked over 182 days.

October 16-Hitmen
October 21-John Fogerty
October 23-Hitmen
October 29-Hitmen*
November 4-Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire*
November 5-Hitmen*
November 19-Florida Georgia Line*
November 22-Hitmen
November 25-Hitmen*
November 26-Hitmen*
November 29-Amy Schumer
December 3-Flames SuperSkills*
December 9-Hitmen*
December 11-Hitmen
December 17-Hitmen*
December 18-Hitmen
December 28-Hitmen
December 30-Hitmen*
January 2-Hitmen
January 6-Lacrosse*
January 14-Hitmen*
January 15-Hitmen
January 18-Hitmen
January 20-Hitmen*
January 22-Hitmen
January 27-Hitmen*
January 28-Lacrosse
January 29-Hitmen*
February 3-Dierks Bentley*
February 4-Lacrosse*
February 8-Hitmen
February 11-Hitmen*
February 12-Lacrosse
February 17-Hitmen*
February 18-Lacrosse*
February 19-Hitmen
February 22-Hitmen
February 24-Hitmen*
February 26-Hitmen
March 1-Harlem Globetrotters
March 2-Harlem Globetrotters
March 4-Lacrosse*
March 8-Hitmen
March 10-Hitmen*
March 11-Eric Church*
March 12-Hitmen
March 18-Hitmen*
March 24-Chris Stapleton*
March 25-Lacrossse*
March 28-Hitmen
March 30-Hitmen
April 8-Lacrosse*

52 events over the same time period in Calgary. I'd also assume that the Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse team has pretty much zero say in their schedule & take whatever free dates. Were you to remove their 8 dates from the equation, the Saddledome doesn't begin to compete with MTS centre

Sorted by Month:

October-MTS Centre (7) Saddledome (4)
November-MTS Centre (9) Saddledome (7)
December-MTS Centre (10) Saddledome (7)
January- MTS Centre (13) Saddledome (11)
February-MTS Centre (13) Saddledome (11)
March- MTS Centre (10) Saddledome (11)
April- MTS Centre (5) Saddledome (1)

Sorted by events:

Hockey-Moose (41) Hitmen (34)
Concerts-MTS (13) Saddledome (6)
Disney-MTS (4) Saddledome (0)
Monster Jam (2) Saddledome (0)
Cirque-MTS (1) Saddledome (0)
Comedy-MTS (1) Saddledome (1)
WWE-MTS (1) Saddledome (0)
Skills Competition-MTS (1) Saddledome (1)
Charity MTS(1) Saddledome (0)
Lacrosse MTS (0) Sadlledome (8)
Globetrotter MTS (0) Saddledome (2)

Further the Moose played 16 weekend games, the Jets only 9 all of which occurred New Years eve & later.

Take aways?

Last edited by Arthur Fonzarelli: 06-12-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 01:32 AM
thereturn

So 4 home games - 2 Mondays & 2 Wednesdays. 3 road games - 1 Thursday & 2 Saturdays. Hope this isn't an omen of a repeat of last year regarding weekday v. weekend games.

thereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:10 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Last year, first pre-season home game was Sept 27. This year, last pre season home game is Sept 27. #WorldCup

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Last year, first pre-season home game was Sept 27. This year, last pre season home game is Sept 27. #WorldCup
I believe the season opens Oct 4 this year

Old
06-13-2017, 12:18 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
With Vegas coming into the league how do we balance that out? Still an 82 game schedule so who do we lose in terms of games?

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
With Vegas coming into the league how do we balance that out? Still an 82 game schedule so who do we lose in terms of games?
We play 3 games against Vegas. Those games used to be against central teams

Western Conference (Central Division - 7 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 26 games
* 4 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 3 Home / 2 Away
* 1 Team: 2 Home / 3 Away
* 4 x 4 = 16
* 1 x 5 = 5
* 1 x 5 = 5

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games
* 4 Teams: 2 Home / 1 Away
* 4 Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
* 4 x 3 = 12 games
* 4 x 3 = 12 games

Non-Conference: 32 games
* 16 Home / 16 Away
* 2 x 16 = 32 games

Old
06-13-2017, 05:18 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
Did you share this research? I clicked the link you provided & it's simply the top 200 world venues.

You choose the Saddledome, so lets do a direct comparison. The NHL season began October 12th. "*" denotes Friday/Saturday events

Further the Moose played 16 weekend games, the Jets only 9 all of which occurred New Years eve & later.

Take aways?
Thanks, yes I forgot that I was off a game or two.

Yes , the busiest venue data is based on total number of tickets sold and not event dates. Nice job digging up all those dates.

It is evident that the Saddledome does not have as many dates booked at MTSC. Perhaps Dallas would be a better comparison as the Stars managed to play 15 Friday and Saturday games in a venue shared with an NBA team.

The fact remains the Jets didn't play many weekend games and were similar in natire to MSG and Barclays which are clearly busier venues than MTSC.

The lack of weekend games is likely a series of 2 factors.

1. TNSE blocking off Friday and Saturday dates for concerts and the Moose - be interesting to look at data for Friday and Saturday concert bookings during the NHL season at MTSC 2016-17 (the data I had was old and from 2015 and simply used as a reference for how busy a venue may be measured by ticket sales). I did not see the data that you posted in relation to event dates. It is clear the Moose coveted those weekend dates as evident in their advertising campaign.

2. TV contracts - The Jets national and regional TV contract dictating the nights the team plays and Fridays and Saturdays not being a TV priority. Not sure how much there is to this. Can't recall if the Jets played alot of road games on Fridays and Saturdays in 16/17.

Someone did tell me that concession sales were drastically down last season and it was attributed to the lack of weekend games.

Considering the Jets failed to block off Grey Cup Sunday last season for a home game who knows what is really going on.

Will have to see if the 17/18 schedule has a marked improvement of Friday and Saturday games or if the status quo remains. I know some fans really like the weeknight games and perhaps the weekend fans are in the minority.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:45 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Upside to being retired: All games are weekend games for me.
Of course, there is that pesky downside of being old.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 08:14 AM
its a process

Same teams as every year; how boring.

Hey! Maybe Calgary's logo has officially changed to black.

its a process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Jimmyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Thanks, yes I forgot that I was off a game or two.

Yes , the busiest venue data is based on total number of tickets sold and not event dates. Nice job digging up all those dates.

It is evident that the Saddledome does not have as many dates booked at MTSC. Perhaps Dallas would be a better comparison as the Stars managed to play 15 Friday and Saturday games in a venue shared with an NBA team.

The fact remains the Jets didn't play many weekend games and were similar in natire to MSG and Barclays which are clearly busier venues than MTSC.

The lack of weekend games is likely a series of 2 factors.

1. TNSE blocking off Friday and Saturday dates for concerts and the Moose - be interesting to look at data for Friday and Saturday concert bookings during the NHL season at MTSC 2016-17 (the data I had was old and from 2015 and simply used as a reference for how busy a venue may be measured by ticket sales). I did not see the data that you posted in relation to event dates. It is clear the Moose coveted those weekend dates as evident in their advertising campaign.

2. TV contracts - The Jets national and regional TV contract dictating the nights the team plays and Fridays and Saturdays not being a TV priority. Not sure how much there is to this. Can't recall if the Jets played alot of road games on Fridays and Saturdays in 16/17.

Someone did tell me that concession sales were drastically down last season and it was attributed to the lack of weekend games.

Considering the Jets failed to block off Grey Cup Sunday last season for a home game who knows what is really going on.

Will have to see if the 17/18 schedule has a marked improvement of Friday and Saturday games or if the status quo remains. I know some fans really like the weeknight games and perhaps the weekend fans are in the minority.
I assure you, the fans that want weekend games aren't in the minority. Every ticket draft I've ever heard of has people coveting weekend games before Tuesday or Wednesday night games.

The way I look at it is there are 46 home games. If it were a truly balanced schedule their would be 6.5 games on each day of the week throughout the season. So I expect 13 Friday night or Saturday games, and another 6 or 7 games on Sunday.

So last season we had 7 sunday games, which is what I would expect, but the 10 Friday night or Saturday games (including alumni game) is low and 7 of the 10 weekend games took place in the last 2 months of the season. The only Friday or Saturday night game to open the season was the alumni game, with the only other one being New Years Eve.

I'm hoping this was truly just a byproduct of the #worldcup and we'll have a much better distribution of games this year. I mean there was 10 Tuesday night games last year. In my view Tuesday is the worst night for a game.

Jimmyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 08:50 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjets View Post
I assure you, the fans that want weekend games aren't in the minority. Every ticket draft I've ever heard of has people coveting weekend games before Tuesday or Wednesday night games.

The way I look at it is there are 46 home games. If it were a truly balanced schedule their would be 6.5 games on each day of the week throughout the season. So I expect 13 Friday night or Saturday games, and another 6 or 7 games on Sunday.

So last season we had 7 sunday games, which is what I would expect, but the 10 Friday night or Saturday games (including alumni game) is low and 7 of the 10 weekend games took place in the last 2 months of the season. The only Friday or Saturday night game to open the season was the alumni game, with the only other one being New Years Eve.

I'm hoping this was truly just a byproduct of the #worldcup and we'll have a much better distribution of games this year. I mean there was 10 Tuesday night games last year. In my view Tuesday is the worst night for a game.
25% of home games were Tuesday's. 41% were Tuesday or Thursday. 61% were Mon-Thurs.

Old
06-14-2017, 09:15 AM
its a process

Advanced stats on the schedule!! The takeover is real, haters!!!

its a process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 09:51 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a process View Post
Advanced stats on the schedule!! The takeover is real, haters!!!
Home schedule needs to improve Corsi on weekend night games.

Old
06-14-2017, 01:01 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Here's a question for those far less lazy than me:

Since their return in 2011, what is the Jets home record for each day of the week?

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 12:20 AM
jimsabo21

The league schedule actually isn't balanced on a 7 day week. You can't simply divide 82 games into 7 equal parts and forecast what the Jets schedule *should be*.

The NHL schedule is heavily skewed to three days of the week: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. If you notice, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday usually have 4 or less total games, while Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays often have 11+ games on the same night.

Essentially, 2/3rds of the schedule is played on those nights while the other 1/3rd is distributed on the "dead nights".

With that in mind, in a fair and balanced world, the Jets home schedule *should* look something like this:

Sunday: 4 games
Monday: 3 games
Tuesday: 9 games
Wednesday: 3 games
Thursday: 9 games
Friday: 3 games
Saturday: 10 games

We'll find out next week if the Jets get screwed out of their Saturday games again (like last year). The most frustrating part was that the Jets played almost EVERY Saturday last year ... just always on the road.

Also, a rather annoying part of the schedule last season was that we didn't get home games on any good "other" nights. For example, a Sunday night game is fine on Thanksgiving weekend (everyone gets Monday off). Playing a home game on November 10th mid-week is fine too (Remembrance day the next day). Any home game between December 23rd and January 1st is usually good as many people take that week off. A Sunday game in February before "Family Day" (or is it Louis Riel day??) would be great. Thursday prior to "Good Friday" would be a nice date for a Jets game. Last season, we essentially got none of these dates ...

Last edited by jimsabo21: 06-16-2017 at 12:32 AM.
jimsabo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Expect weekend road games and the dreaded Saturday afternoon games that have famously turned our rink into a grave yard!
I doubt the schedule makers are listening to the whining of the fans.
It's up to True North to put a priority on a better schedule for us... but if they are the ones wanting to give the Moose all the weekend dates then there's not much that can be done.

I wish Tuesday's weren't the big game nights that they are for personal reasons but that fits best with the Thursday - Saturday rotation I guess.

I remember Wednesday's used to be a really heavy night for NHL games.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 10:58 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Any predictions when schedule will be released? I'll go with Thurs Jun 22 so it doesn't interfere with expansion draft announcements.
Looks like my prediction was correct. John Shannon corrected his tweet with updated dates. Full schedule released Thurs Jun 22.

Old
06-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a process View Post
Same teams as every year; how boring.

Hey! Maybe Calgary's logo has officially changed to black.
It's fine. I think the organizations like it, and it makes it easier to get this portion of the season out of the way.

I love pre-season hockey, so I'll always be very passionate about it, but only from the perspective of my own team.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 12:40 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
It's fine. I think the organizations like it, and it makes it easier to get this portion of the season out of the way.

I love pre-season hockey, so I'll always be very passionate about it, but only from the perspective of my own team.
I don't think I'd go as far as loving it but I'm not quite as opposed as many are. I'm rarely trying to move those tickets (last year was unusual because I was traveling in late September for work) and actually enjoy getting a good viewing of our prospects and occasionally highly touted prospects from other teams. But I think I'm in the minority on preseason games by quite a wide margin.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Coach G
King Props 2016

vCash: 1097
Quote:
I don't think I'd go as far as loving it but I'm not quite as opposed as many are. I'm rarely trying to move those tickets (last year was unusual because I was traveling in late September for work) and actually enjoy getting a good viewing of our prospects and occasionally highly touted prospects from other teams. But I think I'm in the minority on preseason games by quite a wide margin.
I've had this discussion with others before. I'm with you in that minority, and I don't know if the margin is quite as wide as we often think. There are quite a few of us who really enjoy getting a look at prospects. Full disclosure, I also have Moose STs for that reason.

Coach G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Aavco Cup

Teams like to fly in on game day and fly back immediately after. It's no accident that we do home and home with the closest geographical teams.

Old
06-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
While I do love getting a look at our prospects, I really love watching the lower level battles. I read Sean Pronger's book*, and he talked about how every training camp was a huge battle for him, and his living, as the paycheck you get in the AHL is huge compared to the NHL. Guys like that battling for every inch of ice is what I love to watch, and I really appreciate the effort and passion they bring.

*Big time recommendation BTW, he tells the story about how he anchored the "5th line" at the NYR, and one day, after a huge bender, he got called up in practice to work on Gretzky's wing for the day, while he is still drunk. So he walks up to Gretzky, and has to ask him to go easy on him, because he was still hurting, Gretz says "sure" and then just gives him bullets and saucer passes all practice long.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 04:12 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Expect weekend road games and the dreaded Saturday afternoon games that have famously turned our rink into a grave yard!
I doubt the schedule makers are listening to the whining of the fans.
It's up to True North to put a priority on a better schedule for us... but if they are the ones wanting to give the Moose all the weekend dates then there's not much that can be done.

I wish Tuesday's weren't the big game nights that they are for personal reasons but that fits best with the Thursday - Saturday rotation I guess.

I remember Wednesday's used to be a really heavy night for NHL games.
Since the Moose usually play 2 games at home on the weekend --- give them Friday and Sunday (or Saturday afternoon). Saturday night should be reserved for the Jets. You want the best atmosphere possible for the big league team and that is Saturday night! It seems like they don't really care what Jets fans want though as evidenced by them not going with the Heritage Classic look but instead sticking with their current boring uniforms.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote