Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets Lounge: Dreams of Winds of Winter

Old
07-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Shakey Rustie
Smile

vCash: 50
After all this fish taco talk, I'm heading to BMC Market after work. I can't find their menu online but the reviews are good so hopefully they have fish tacos.

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 09:01 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Montreal handling the Stamps who are not looking like last years team yet.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 03:12 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Any of our fellow Jetters have any experience with medaiwiki?

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 10:28 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
After all this fish taco talk, I'm heading to BMC Market after work. I can't find their menu online but the reviews are good so hopefully they have fish tacos.
How were the tacos?

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Jet
Buff Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Davies kicking ass at the gold cup.

I know I shouldn't but I might be getting a little bit of hope for the Canadian MNT.
I think having a Men's National Team that is at least competitive on the world stage would be huge, and really boost my fandom for the sport. The women really stoked it, and now that I am in Orlando I am a casual fan of MLS but I think having our country competitive in CONCACAF and maybe even qualify for the World Cup would be amazing!

I'd definitely travel to Central/ South America to watch them play.

On a completely different note, I am seriously considering going vegan. I've watched a bunch of really great documentaries over the years about processed meats and animal products, but last night I watched 'What The Food' on Netflix. I am in very good health but I am getting to the age where a lot of my family have started to get diseases like diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and cancer. I REALLY love cheese, that will be the toughest for me to give up. I eat a lot of chicken, some pork, and very little beef. I thought I was eating a fairly good diet but now I am hearing how bad chicken and all dairy is for you (yes, even in moderation)

I think I wouldn't really miss beef or pork (though I do love a good burger or pork chop). My biggest challenge would be staying interested in just eating vegetables, legumes and whole grains. Either way, I highly recommend you watch that doc, it was very eye opening.

07-15-2017, 12:30 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
On a completely different note, I am seriously considering going vegan.
https://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/16/veg...research-33067

You're welcome.

Old
07-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post

Well, it was ONE study involving 1300 people.

You've saved me making a grave mistake! I get to still eat cheeeese!!!

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

So, after a 7 year hiatus, I decided that I should pick up hockey again. Was gonna get the last few parts of my gear yesterday, but UPS decided to not actually attempt to deliver the stuff, just claim that I wasn't home on the first attempt and have it in transit limbo until Monday afternoon.

Old
07-15-2017, 03:51 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
So, after a 7 year hiatus, I decided that I should pick up hockey again. Was gonna get the last few parts of my gear yesterday, but UPS decided to not actually attempt to deliver the stuff, just claim that I wasn't home on the first attempt and have it in transit limbo until Monday afternoon.
I assume playing goal?

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I assume playing goal?
Yep!

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 05:20 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I assume playing goal?
Quote:
Yep!
Ah. That explains a lot.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 08:16 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Quote:
I think having a Men's National Team that is at least competitive on the world stage would be huge, and really boost my fandom for the sport. The women really stoked it, and now that I am in Orlando I am a casual fan of MLS but I think having our country competitive in CONCACAF and maybe even qualify for the World Cup would be amazing!

I'd definitely travel to Central/ South America to watch them play.

On a completely different note, I am seriously considering going vegan. I've watched a bunch of really great documentaries over the years about processed meats and animal products, but last night I watched 'What The Food' on Netflix. I am in very good health but I am getting to the age where a lot of my family have started to get diseases like diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and cancer. I REALLY love cheese, that will be the toughest for me to give up. I eat a lot of chicken, some pork, and very little beef. I thought I was eating a fairly good diet but now I am hearing how bad chicken and all dairy is for you (yes, even in moderation)

I think I wouldn't really miss beef or pork (though I do love a good burger or pork chop). My biggest challenge would be staying interested in just eating vegetables, legumes and whole grains. Either way, I highly recommend you watch that doc, it was very eye opening.
Be wary of "documentaries" these days because few are what they actually seem to be. Most of the "science" is not really good science but rather activist pushed agenda type stuff based on inconclusive or even sometimes faked data. If the food world in particular even the good studies are based off meta-studies where data is extracted in a correlation = causation type of relationship which doesn't often hold up in the real world.

Why do these things exist? Egos and dollars. Some people are very angry and bitter or philosophically opposed to things (eating animals, phthalates, sugar, etc.) and there is a strong belief system in place rightly or wrongly. There is also a huge amount of money available to be raised via donation that often funds people's entire careers throughout their life so they have a vested interest in keeping the dollars flowing through their organization (CSPI, PETA, etc.).

You're welcome to do as you please of course but I'd read everything with an extraordinarily skeptical eye these days. Virtually inevitably if you follow the chain you'll find someone making money by pushing an agenda on science that is unsound. The internet has been a tremendous boon to those siphoning money out of the public on good faith and the best of intentions. Everything seems believable because most people don't understand relative risk factors or statistics very well at all. And statistics can be easily twisted to show what isn't actually true. Simply remove error bars from a simple calculation and you can make anything believable.

As far as your health goes exercise regularly eating everything you enjoy. Stuff that is bad for you eat in moderation. Don't believe everything you read/see/hear.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Ah. That explains a lot.

We're the clever ones, really.

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2017, 10:13 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Be wary of "documentaries" these days because few are what they actually seem to be. Most of the "science" is not really good science but rather activist pushed agenda type stuff based on inconclusive or even sometimes faked data. If the food world in particular even the good studies are based off meta-studies where data is extracted in a correlation = causation type of relationship which doesn't often hold up in the real world.

Why do these things exist? Egos and dollars. Some people are very angry and bitter or philosophically opposed to things (eating animals, phthalates, sugar, etc.) and there is a strong belief system in place rightly or wrongly. There is also a huge amount of money available to be raised via donation that often funds people's entire careers throughout their life so they have a vested interest in keeping the dollars flowing through their organization (CSPI, PETA, etc.).

You're welcome to do as you please of course but I'd read everything with an extraordinarily skeptical eye these days. Virtually inevitably if you follow the chain you'll find someone making money by pushing an agenda on science that is unsound. The internet has been a tremendous boon to those siphoning money out of the public on good faith and the best of intentions. Everything seems believable because most people don't understand relative risk factors or statistics very well at all. And statistics can be easily twisted to show what isn't actually true. Simply remove error bars from a simple calculation and you can make anything believable.

As far as your health goes exercise regularly eating everything you enjoy. Stuff that is bad for you eat in moderation. Don't believe everything you read/see/hear.
Well said. The bolded is how I try to approach things. Perhaps not always successfully, but when you think about it, moderation is such a subjective term, don't you agree?

Old
07-16-2017, 12:01 AM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

Quote:
Well said. The bolded is how I try to approach things. Perhaps not always successfully, but when you think about it, moderation is such a subjective term, don't you agree?
With respect to drinking it's highly overrated. Here to help.

Old
07-16-2017, 12:36 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
With respect to drinking it's highly overrated. Here to help.
OK, but as we've learned from other discussions, if enough people on here think it's overrated, it's actually underrated.

Old
07-16-2017, 09:56 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Federer banging out another Wimbledon at the age of 35 which is really impressive.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Quote:
Yep!
Strap on the pads and get in on Jets training camp. Do teams ever do open invites anymore?

Daximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

Quote:

Good advice. I am not one to just jump to fads, especially when it comes to my health. I have tossed the idea of this around in my head for years, but my health is really good so there is an element of 'not broke, don't fix'.

Of course you also have to consider being happy as well as healthy and I like food. I take joy in it.

I am going to do more research into the other side -- vegan diets, pitfalls, etc. I've just seen a lot of really compelling arguments for it the past few years. A friend of mind (played hockey with him for 10 years) recently went vegan and he swears by it. He's always been a bit chunky and he is very lean now.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:28 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

Quote:
Good advice. I am not one to just jump to fads, especially when it comes to my health. I have tossed the idea of this around in my head for years, but my health is really good so there is an element of 'not broke, don't fix'.

Of course you also have to consider being happy as well as healthy and I like food. I take joy in it.

I am going to do more research into the other side -- vegan diets, pitfalls, etc. I've just seen a lot of really compelling arguments for it the past few years. A friend of mind (played hockey with him for 10 years) recently went vegan and he swears by it. He's always been a bit chunky and he is very lean now.
Makes sense really, not a lot of carbs to add the bulk. So long as he's healthy and not fanatical (seems rare among vegans but hey, to each their own). Same goes for you, whatever works. I'd just be wary about lots of claims. My only wish is for you to be cautious about decisions like that. Not a lot of folks pointing out pitfalls of vegan lifestyles (low protein, etc.).

Old
07-16-2017, 10:17 PM
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!

I already have a low B12 count. There's no way I'd go vegan. I eat tons of meat (only real source of B12 humans get) and still have a low count.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 10:37 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
I already have a low B12 count. There's no way I'd go vegan. I eat tons of meat (only real source of B12 humans get) and still have a low count.
Why not take a B12 supplement? That's part of my daily self-prescribed regimen of a multivitamin,C,D,E,lecithin,magnesium, low dose aspirin, Cold FX and 90 minutes of hard cardio exercise. i think all of those things are the reason I can seriously abuse my body and almost never get sick. Remember the Participaction ads from years ago? I'm that 60 year old Swede. Well, half Swede anyway.

Old
07-17-2017, 12:50 PM
WerdnaG
Rookie User

Yea....I couldnt go vegan either. I just love meat WAY too much for that ****.

And Im not super convinced that its actually good for you.

WerdnaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:23 PM
flyingkiwi
Let's gone Jets

I believe a vegan diet can be good for you if it's balanced and covers all the good groups. For some people and cultures it's been the case for hundreds maybe thousands of years. The problem is that people are really bad at transitioning from a typical western diet and don't or can't access good meat and dairy substitutes.

That being said I ate my weight in chicken wings last week so I'm not going vegan anytime soon.

flyingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:15 PM
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!

Quote:
Why not take a B12 supplement? That's part of my daily self-prescribed regimen of a multivitamin,C,D,E,lecithin,magnesium, low dose aspirin, Cold FX and 90 minutes of hard cardio exercise. i think all of those things are the reason I can seriously abuse my body and almost never get sick. Remember the Participaction ads from years ago? I'm that 60 year old Swede. Well, half Swede anyway.
I do and still have to eat meat in order to keep it low average.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote