Soupy Hangs em` Up

Can`t thank him enough for the contributions in his time in Boston

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anderso...ces-retirement

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Pia8988

vCash: 595

He scores in game 1 if he's able to play instead of Daugavins.

Pia8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 07:54 AM
kutskova

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post

He scores in game 1 if he's able to play instead of Daugavins.
Aw give dogman some credit, the whole team choked away the finals. Anyway enjoy retirement soupy!

kutskova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 140
Thanks Soupy !

I will always remember the 2011 team.

You were part of the very best 4th line ever.

06-10-2017, 08:01 AM
wandk128

Warrior! Enjoy your retirement.

wandk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:07 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Merlot forever!

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:42 AM
moltisanti

A great, tough Bruin.

moltisanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Marchy63

He had a good career and came to play every shift

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:49 AM
CDJ

Thanks soupy!

That shift where he broke his leg almost brings a tear to my eye. The sacrifice he was making for his brothers, the determination, the guts. All of it.

All I ask for in an athlete is to act like you care...Gregory Campbell definitely cared

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Knew and performed his role.

Will always remember the 'Soup hatrick'.

A goal. An assist. Get beat up.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 11:50 AM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Thanks, Soups

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Paddington

So with Soupy and Thornton calling it quits and Paille in Europe, Merlot is out if the league. As a whole, that line was so much greater than the sum of its parts. I loved watching them pin the opposition in their own end and wear them down until the big boys got out there. Also, Merlot has to be my favourite name for a line.

I wish Soupy all the best in life after hockey. He laid his body on the line every night and willingly took his lumps in defense of his teammates.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 07:33 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
So with Soupy and Thornton calling it quits and Paille in Europe, Merlot is out if the league. As a whole, that line was so much greater than the sum of its parts. I loved watching them pin the opposition in their own end and wear them down until the big boys got out there. Also, Merlot has to be my favourite name for a line.

I wish Soupy all the best in life after hockey. He laid his body on the line every night and willingly took his lumps in defense of his teammates.
someone can chime in here to provide otherwise but were the Merlot line really the first 4th line that spurned on coaches to truly start valuing or placing an importance on having a 4th line that could be trusted with more than 2 minutes nightly out there?

I understand there has been cases of some teams with a 4th line that rose to an occasion from time to time but the Merlot line, at their best, were so important to the success of the B`s and I feel that up to that point, most teams placed little importance on being able to put together a 4th line who plays much more than garbage minutes?

Old
06-11-2017, 07:37 AM
JOKER 192
The Bruins MVP 2017

Good luck Soupy. We won't forget you.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Pia8988

vCash: 595
Looks like he already has himself a new job as well. Will be joining the Blue Jackets as an assistant player development coach.

Pia8988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia8988 View Post
Looks like he already has himself a new job as well. Will be joining the Blue Jackets as an assistant player development coach.
great news. good guy

#thanksforthememories

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
BNHL

Reminds me of the time this young guy with a black eye walks into a luxury car dealership and asks to test drive a Maserati. The salesman suspiciously asks for his credentials and then asks what he does for work. "I play for the Boston Bruins". The keys were handed over.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:21 AM
missingchicklet

Crazy that 10 members of the 2011 Cup team have retired from hockey. Soupy was a great example of a player who knew his role. He also was a great example of a player who put team before anything else when he was on the ice. The things I will remember most about Soupy 10 years from now:

1) Fighting all comers, knowing full well he was going to get his ass handed to him much of the time.
2) All the furor of Bs fans when Claude had Soupy on ice in the last few shifts of a tie game or a game in which the Bruins were down 1.
3) Obviously game 3 in 2013.
4) Mostly, though, being a part of the Merlot line. Man oh man, was that ever a fun line to watch.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Krupp

A shame, but that's life, I guess...that Merlot line was seemingly invincible for a few years, there. Who didn't love watching those three play?

It's sad Thorty and Soupy both retired not too many months apart from each other. Also a shame neither is looking to work within the B's organization. But that's also life.

Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 06:37 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
someone can chime in here to provide otherwise but were the Merlot line really the first 4th line that spurned on coaches to truly start valuing or placing an importance on having a 4th line that could be trusted with more than 2 minutes nightly out there?

I understand there has been cases of some teams with a 4th line that rose to an occasion from time to time but the Merlot line, at their best, were so important to the success of the B`s and I feel that up to that point, most teams placed little importance on being able to put together a 4th line who plays much more than garbage minutes?
I think so.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 07:22 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
Crazy that 10 members of the 2011 Cup team have retired from hockey. Soupy was a great example of a player who knew his role. He also was a great example of a player who put team before anything else when he was on the ice. The things I will remember most about Soupy 10 years from now:

1) Fighting all comers, knowing full well he was going to get his ass handed to him much of the time.
2) All the furor of Bs fans when Claude had Soupy on ice in the last few shifts of a tie game or a game in which the Bruins were down 1.
3) Obviously game 3 in 2013.
4) Mostly, though, being a part of the Merlot line. Man oh man, was that ever a fun line to watch.
some teams now have a 4th line who can inject a bit of energy, from time to time contribute but when the Merlot line was "on", we got to watch a line who often changed complexions of games. When you have a 4th line who had the ability to wear down an opponent in the offensive zone with solid cycling, some offensive contributions and who were going to bang and crash ya at every chance, it`s tough to match

Like you said, fun to watch

Old
06-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Terrier

Thank you for helping bring the Cup to Boston! That sequence against the Pens will live forever.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Boston Bruno

Other than Claude throwing him on the ice at times and making me go Huh? I can honestly say I never complained about Campbell. I thought he was a great balance and center for line 4.

Thanks 4 efforts.

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:00 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
Quote:
Quote:
some teams now have a 4th line who can inject a bit of energy, from time to time contribute but when the Merlot line was "on", we got to watch a line who often changed complexions of games. When you have a 4th line who had the ability to wear down an opponent in the offensive zone with solid cycling, some offensive contributions and who were going to bang and crash ya at every chance, it`s tough to match
The Merlot Line epitomized the right attitude to have in sports. Here were 3 players that were fourth liners, but played to their strengths, played to each other's strengths and played hard. They relished their roles and knew the importance of them. They could be relied upon to eat up minutes against better lines (on paper)... but as others have said, they went above and beyond and could really change the energy of the game. I really think these 3 guys were smarter than your average hockey players, too.
I wish we had some of their attitude on our lower lines today.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:32 PM
finchster

Thanks Greg, your father interfering in our cup run, according to Canucks fans, will always be remembered . On a serious note, was a solid fourth line guy for this team and a good solider. Enjoy retirement!

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote