HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Topic Thread-Remembering the good 'ol days

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2017, 07:57 PM
  #1
bruinsfan1970
Moderator
 
bruinsfan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lovely Lakes Of NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
Off-Topic Thread-Remembering the good 'ol days

As I sit down this evening after working all day I open one of my older hobby publications. I see an article about a very old unopened wax box and many other items and I remember buying Topps baseball wax packs for 10 cents and remember when things meant so much more. Some believe it is all gone but not really as it will always be with that person as long as one can remember and it is really to bad that a lot of the younger people never saw those days. But it was not just about sports those days were so much fun with the TV shows we grew up with and the certain foods we enjoyed how our clothes looked (Courdaroys) etc....
Brings me back to those good 'ol days.

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:04 PM
  #2
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,712
vCash: 4000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1970 View Post
As I sit down this evening after working all day I open one of my older hobby publications. I see an article about a very old unopened wax box and many other items and I remember buying Topps baseball wax packs for 10 cents and remember when things meant so much more. Some believe it is all gone but not really as it will always be with that person as long as one can remember and it is really to bad that a lot of the younger people never saw those days. But it was not just about sports those days were so much fun with the TV shows we grew up with and the certain foods we enjoyed how our clothes looked (Courdaroys) etc....
Brings me back to those good 'ol days.



Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:05 PM
  #3
bruinsfan1970
Moderator
 
bruinsfan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lovely Lakes Of NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post


Yes I know it also indicates I am Old and at times I feel it.

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:15 PM
  #4
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,712
vCash: 4000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1970 View Post
Yes I know it also indicates I am Old and at times I feel it.
Trust me I know the feeling.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:29 PM
  #5
bruinsfan1970
Moderator
 
bruinsfan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lovely Lakes Of NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Trust me I know the feeling.
The only good thing is I am close to retiring....Can't wait!!!

bruinsfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 08:37 PM
  #6
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1970 View Post
As I sit down this evening after working all day I open one of my older hobby publications. I see an article about a very old unopened wax box and many other items and I remember buying Topps baseball wax packs for 10 cents and remember when things meant so much more. Some believe it is all gone but not really as it will always be with that person as long as one can remember and it is really to bad that a lot of the younger people never saw those days. But it was not just about sports those days were so much fun with the TV shows we grew up with and the certain foods we enjoyed how our clothes looked (Courdaroys) etc....
Brings me back to those good 'ol days.

I remember getting a dollar for doing some chores around the house.

I'd take that dollar, walk to the corner store and buy a Coke, a bag of Humpty Dumpty BBQ chips and 2 packs of Topps baseball cards.

Each cost a quarter.

Still remember the kids I'd see along the way outside in their yards or just "riding bikes" around the neighborhood.


Last edited by sarge88: 06-11-2017 at 08:28 AM.
sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:05 PM
  #7
Lost Horizons
On the warpath
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:12 PM
  #8
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 42,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I remember getting a dollar for doing some chores around the house.

I'd take that dollar, walk to the corner store and buy a Coke, a bag of Humpty Dumoty BBQ chips and 2 packs of Topps baseball cards.

Each cost a quarter.

Still remember the kids I'd see along the way outside in their yards or just "riding bikes" around the neighborhood.
got a dollar, walked to the McDonalds in Beverly by the marina and for 65 cents got a hamburger, fries, and vanilla shake.

Then walked over to the Fish and Bait and Penny candy store across the street and for 35 cents bought 7 packs of baseball cards for 5 cents a pack

I still have the entire set that summer- 1968.

I was a yute lying awake listening to Red Sox games from the West Coast and Bruins games every Sunday night right after Disney. We got a color TV and I'd watch flipper and then the Bruins

Our Woolworths had balloons over the food counter and you pick one you can get the price for a banana split. They were 49 cents and I swear I never hit for a penny. I would order the banana split and hold the banana.

I remember sitting there one day and the guy behind the counter looks at me and says 'your dat kid who orders the banana split wit out the banana' and shakes his head in disgust

I told him if I want fruit I'll ask my mother, I'm here for ice cream

__________________
Boston Bruins 2020 Stanley Cup Champions
DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:17 PM
  #9
missingchicklet
Registered User
 
missingchicklet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19,645
vCash: 500
Lived in Belmont during the 70s. The elderly lady next door would put 4 quarters on masking tape and drop them down to me from her second story balcony every few days. Of course I always immediately spent the money up at the corner store on Topps hockey cards and ice cream. Guy living on the other side of me allegedly was part of organized crime and was like an uncle to me. Gave me plenty of hockey sticks and other cool stuff. Batman on the tube each day after school (the Adam West version), playing street hockey, going to Fenway Park and the Garden, hanging with Brother Blue, and people watching at Filene's Basement while my mom shopped definitely were the good ol days.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:26 PM
  #10
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
got a dollar, walked to the McDonalds in Beverly by the marina and for 65 cents got a hamburger, fries, and vanilla shake.

Then walked over to the Fish and Bait and Penny candy store across the street and for 35 cents bought 7 packs of baseball cards for 5 cents a pack

I still have the entire set that summer- 1968.

I was a yute lying awake listening to Red Sox games from the West Coast and Bruins games every Sunday night right after Disney. We got a color TV and I'd watch flipper and then the Bruins

Our Woolworths had balloons over the food counter and you pick one you can get the price for a banana split. They were 49 cents and I swear I never hit for a penny. I would order the banana split and hold the banana.

I remember sitting there one day and the guy behind the counter looks at me and says 'your dat kid who orders the banana split wit out the banana' and shakes his head in disgust

I told him if I want fruit I'll ask my mother, I'm here for ice cream

Later, in my teen years I get five for allowance or chores and it would get you into a Saturday matinee at the Lawrence Showcase cinema, a pop corn and a coke, with enough left over for a slice of pizza and another coke before or after.

Later my neighbor, who my mom baby sat when he was a younger started dating the cinema manager, and she'd give us free passes to the movies. Talk about hitting the lottery as a 14 year old!

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:27 PM
  #11
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,712
vCash: 4000000





Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:35 PM
  #12
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post





Those stubs remind me of something.

The only advice I'll ever give new parents is this. It's something I wish I did with my kids

Keep the ticket stub to every game, play, movie or concert that you take your kids to in a scrapbook, along with a little note about it (who you went with, why you went or other tidbits about the event, etc.)
(You can also keep the hotel card-keys)

Kids love looking back at that stuff as they get older.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 09:44 PM
  #13
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 42,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Later, in my teen years I get five for allowance or chores and it would get you into a Saturday matinee at the Lawrence Showcase cinema, a pop corn and a coke, with enough left over for a slice of pizza and another coke before or after.

Later my neighbor, who my mom baby sat when he was a younger started dating the cinema manager, and she'd give us free passes to the movies. Talk about hitting the lottery as a 14 year old!
funny story Al I bet you will get a kick out of,

My mother had this Kirby vacumn cleaner forever- and one day I was looking at the box it came in for an accessory and noticed the contract when they bought it. It was 1955 and my father I think made $8000 for the phone company as a lineman. I guess the vacumn was big expenditure because it had his salary in it when they bought it

now for $8000 we had an incredible house he designed and built with his buddies for $15,500 that today is around a million. We had a 25 foot owens cabin crusier and Bruins seaon tickets in row 1 of the lodge

they apparently saved money making me eat Deviled Ham and drink Rootin Tootin Raspberry and Goofy grape every day of the summer although I was allowed those push up rocket ice creams for dessert

insane

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 10:27 PM
  #14
BrianE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1970 View Post
As I sit down this evening after working all day I open one of my older hobby publications. I see an article about a very old unopened wax box and many other items and I remember buying Topps baseball wax packs for 10 cents and remember when things meant so much more. Some believe it is all gone but not really as it will always be with that person as long as one can remember and it is really to bad that a lot of the younger people never saw those days. But it was not just about sports those days were so much fun with the TV shows we grew up with and the certain foods we enjoyed how our clothes looked (Courdaroys) etc....
Brings me back to those good 'ol days.
Excellent thread bruinsfan and many thanks for it. I got a little emotional reading the posts...i recall those days. My Mom bringing me to the Ben Franklin in town, could get a cheap plastic toy for approx. ten cents or so. Topps hockey and baseball card pack with a stick of chewing gum inside.

Watching the Stooges, Happy Days, Flintstones, Gilligans island & the Brady Bunch at the neighbors after school. Playing street hockey, whiffle ball on the same dead end street, baseball behind the neighbors house.

Sigh......so many memories.

BrianE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 10:44 PM
  #15
Aeroforce
Registered User
 
Aeroforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
I remember when I was 8 (1976) and my grandmother in Charlestown had me walk to the corner store to buy her Doral cigarettes. Snappers if memory serves.

The cigarettes were a dollar, the clerk sold them to an 8 year old without question, and I usually got a free jelly donut since he liked my grandmother.


Aeroforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 11:09 PM
  #16
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
funny story Al I bet you will get a kick out of,

My mother had this Kirby vacumn cleaner forever- and one day I was looking at the box it came in for an accessory and noticed the contract when they bought it. It was 1955 and my father I think made $8000 for the phone company as a lineman. I guess the vacumn was big expenditure because it had his salary in it when they bought it

now for $8000 we had an incredible house he designed and built with his buddies for $15,500 that today is around a million. We had a 25 foot owens cabin crusier and Bruins seaon tickets in row 1 of the lodge

they apparently saved money making me eat Deviled Ham and drink Rootin Tootin Raspberry and Goofy grape every day of the summer although I was allowed those push up rocket ice creams for dessert

insane
Once my friend got a job out of college, he bought a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Drove it to his parents house to show them.

His dad asked how much it cost him. He said 14 grand, or whatever it was,

His dad shrugged his shoulders and walked away laughing........he looked back and said..."good deal...the house you grew up in cost me 8 grand".

Times have changed.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 11:11 PM
  #17
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroforce View Post
I remember when I was 8 (1976) and my grandmother in Charlestown had me walk to the corner store to buy her Doral cigarettes. Snappers if memory serves.

The cigarettes were a dollar, the clerk sold them to an 8 year old without question, and I usually got a free jelly donut since he liked my grandmother.

I remember junior year in HS...1986. My science teacher would give a classmate the keys to his car a couple of times a month and tell him to "run out" to the store and buy him a pack of Marlboro's.


Last edited by Fenway: 06-10-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: fixed code
sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 11:15 PM
  #18
dabid
Registered User
 
dabid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: gorskic's house
Country: United States
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 500
My dad in the late 70's when he was in his late 20's would just work and just have all of his money in the bank and still lived with his Dad rent free and had no expenses. My grandfather would be like "Why don't you go invest that money on land on Cape Cod" and he would be like "sure whatever dad" and not do it

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2017, 11:21 PM
  #19
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabid View Post
My dad in the late 70's when he was in his late 20's would just work and just have all of his money in the bank and still lived with his Dad rent free and had no expenses. My grandfather would be like "Why don't you go invest that money on land on Cape Cod" and he would be like "sure whatever dad" and not do it
My wife's grandfather owned a huge lot of land in the town she grew up in. He told her dad that he'd leave it to him in his will if he wanted, but he said he had no need for it.

The grandfather sold it in the late 60's for like 15k.

Sometime in the mid 80's it sold for around 3 million.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 04:46 AM
  #20
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 42,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
In 1983 I had Bruins season tickets

Lodge 7 row 1

Seats in corner where the clock was to the Bruins goalie first and third

They had been my parents and I took them over for good

I went to all 40 home games and they cost a total of $400,

$10 a game

My first game as an official season ticket holder was Lemieux

He scored on first shift infront of me

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 07:06 AM
  #21
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 15,633
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
You guys are old.

Sophomore year of college was the year after the 04/05 lockout for me.

I bought up a bunch of the $10 balcony seats.
I practically had to beg people to go to the games with me.

__________________
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 07:30 AM
  #22
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,906
vCash: 500
I don`t have receipts for this but I took this sports weekend tour out of Ottawa (Big Man Chappie Tours), no clue if it`s still running.

Friday night, Bruins vs Whalers in Hartford
Saturday Matinee at the REAL Garden then Sunday in Foxboro, Pats vs Jets with Grogan behind center

2 nights in Red Roof Inn`s included for the price of $199......yep, that ain`t happening now

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 07:47 AM
  #23
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,103
vCash: 500
Ah, the 70s. I remember practicing nuclear bomb drills in grade school, where they'd have everyone get under their desks, like that would help. The bug spray truck driving around every neighborhood and all the kids running behind it as they pumped out what I'm sure is a banned substance today. Ice cream trucks every day, and milk men that delivered. Diaper services. Traveling photograph companies that would come to your house and set up for your baby pictures/family photos. Your mom calling the doctor and telling them what was wrong over the phone and them calling in a prescription for robitussen. Ashtrays in every waiting room, including the doctors. The garbage pail slot that was in the ground next to everyone's front door. How the metric system was coming and would replace the imperial system we still use. Greenhouse gases causing global cooling. The gas crisis and having to wait in line on alternating days for gas, depending on whether your house was odd or even. Little league where every coach and parent had a red lil playmate cooler with a rack of beer in it, and whomever's father was driving that day would have the kid behind them crack and hand them a beer on the ride to the field. Good times. Good times.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:07 AM
  #24
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 22,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
got a dollar, walked to the McDonalds in Beverly by the marina and for 65 cents got a hamburger, fries, and vanilla shake.

Then walked over to the Fish and Bait and Penny candy store across the street and for 35 cents bought 7 packs of baseball cards for 5 cents a pack

I still have the entire set that summer- 1968.

I was a yute lying awake listening to Red Sox games from the West Coast and Bruins games every Sunday night right after Disney. We got a color TV and I'd watch flipper and then the Bruins

Our Woolworths had balloons over the food counter and you pick one you can get the price for a banana split. They were 49 cents and I swear I never hit for a penny. I would order the banana split and hold the banana.

I remember sitting there one day and the guy behind the counter looks at me and says 'your dat kid who orders the banana split wit out the banana' and shakes his head in disgust

I told him if I want fruit I'll ask my mother, I'm here for ice cream
The Woolworths in the Plaza? I use to have coffee ice cream sodas there with my mom. One of the first times I was still in a wheelchair from my stroke. I think I was 6.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:08 AM
  #25
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 42,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
You guys are old.

Sophomore year of college was the year after the 04/05 lockout for me.

I bought up a bunch of the $10 balcony seats.
I practically had to beg people to go to the games with me.
We are Generation AARP

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.