Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Off-Topic Thread-Remembering the good 'ol days

Old
06-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Sharp Shooting Neely

vCash: 500
Growing up in a household with a dozen kids being raised on a single income there were not many frills in life. One cherished Christmas gift was a transitor radio that allowed me to lay in bed at night and pick up broadcasts from the Eastern United States. Living in a fairly isolated area the thought of a game being played in such far off places like Boston and New York was so capitativating. Listening to the names being called out in play by play for Orr, Esposito, Cheevers, etc was magical.

Any opportunity to make a run to the local corner store for an older sibling and get a nickel or a dime for your troubles was a means of getting the next package of NHL playing cards. Collecting Bruins players was the objective through many sessions of "got'em - need"em" with friends and schoolmates. Devouring every single word and stat on a card while listening to the play by play with those revered players that wore the spoked B was the pay off.

Think of it now as being a comparable version of a somewhat mythical "Narnia like" hockey experience for our era. Simple enjoyable times.

Last edited by Sharp Shooting Neely: 06-11-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Sharp Shooting Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 08:50 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shooting Neely View Post
Growing up in a household with a dozen kids being raised on a single income there were not many frills in life. One cherished Christmas gift was a transitor radio that allowed me to lay in bed at night and pick up broadcasts from the Eastern United States. Living in a fairly isolated area the thought of a game being played in sch a far off places like Boston and New York was so capitativating. Listening to the names being called out in play by play for Orr, Esposito, Cheevers, etc was magical.

Any opportunity to make a run to the local cornerstote for an older sibling fans get a nickel or a dime for your troubles was a means of getting the next package of NHL playing cards. Collecting Bruins players was the objective through many sessions of "got'em - need"em". Devouring every single word and stat on a card while listening to the play by play n the radio was the pay off for the revered figures that wore the spoked B. The feeling of a mythical "Narnia like" experience of our era. Simple times.
The bolded reminds me of the sheer joy I would get reading the Sunday Globe or Herald because they would list the stats for every NHL team. (Baseball too)

Obviously, pre-internet there was no way to get immediate stats or even scores.

I remember pre-ESPN or at least pre-scroll, we'd sometimes need to wait until the next news cast (which were only in the morning (maybe 6-8 am) at 6pm and 11pm, to find out the out of town scores.

Being a fan today is so much more convenient (up to the minute stats and news) but I don't think it could possibly be any more fun than when I was a kid, as you appreciated things much more because the instant gratification wasn't there.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:59 AM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
We are Generation AARP
You bet!! Just started getting my SSI benefits....finally got my Bruins SC pendant...feels so good...

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Wow. A lot comes to mind.

1968 got my first new hockey equipment from Holovak & Coughlin. Baur black panthers and real gloves not cotton trash gloves. Real shin pads. Not Life magazine and rubber bands. I **** you not.

3 channels vhf and 2 uhf. 50 cents for a 2 movie Saturday matinee at Capital or Regent in Arlington.
Getting new dungarees ( jeans wasnt a term used) at Gilchrist, Kreseges or Sears in Porter Sq..
Couple of packages of new t shirts too. White. Just white. Like movie 'Stand By Me'.

Matter of fact that movie was kinda how life was like for me at that stage. Including the railroad tracks that were literally 100 feet from my house. We'd camp out in Thorndike park. Hang out at Turnpike Bowladrome. Smoke. Find somebody to buy us quarts of Schlitz or Pabst. Think we were a lot tougher than we were. If we'd had enough beer and were bored enough we'd go up the walkway that straddled route 2 near the 'Drome . We'd line up on a hot summer night and **** all over the cars going underneath. If you got a convertible it was a rush. Man sounds dumb as hell as I type this but in 1970 or so it was the height of cool.

When I was 15 got a job at the Deli Delight in Fresh Pond washing dishes. $1.10 an hour. That was 1973. Used to hop the freight train to get to work. Walk the tracks home at night.

First time I ever saw color tv was when my grandfather who lived downstairs bought one. It was 'Lost in Space'. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

1974 was a milestone year. I got my drivers license and had a 62 Chevy Impala my gramps gave me for my birthday. It killed me that I had to wait six months to legally drive it. I loved that car.

Great, great sports memories. Some happy and some heart breaking. But fun all the way.
Nothing ever beat going to a Braves or Whalers game in the afternoon and then a Bruins game at night. Or taking in schoolboy games at the old Arena and then heading to the Garden.
The old Arena would have two periods and then clean the ice. It went team 1 vs 2 , then team 3 vs 4 then clean the ice after 1 period for both . Then repeat. The place also had the best french fries I ever had. You could pay one price. Like a dollar and watch games from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.

The 1970 parade and city hall plaza. I never saw so many drunks in one place. That includes the players. They were sloshed.

Ahh....
So many memories.

Now the Bride and I search real estate and think of where we should retire. I have just two or three years left. I got old in the blink of an eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.JPG‎ (32.0 KB, 12 views)

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!

Last edited by Gee Wally: 06-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 11:56 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroforce View Post
I remember when I was 8 (1976) and my grandmother in Charlestown had me walk to the corner store to buy her Doral cigarettes. Snappers if memory serves.

The cigarettes were a dollar, the clerk sold them to an 8 year old without question, and I usually got a free jelly donut since he liked my grandmother.

Oh yeah, I too recall being sent to the gas station to buy cigarettes when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I put up such fight about it every time that I was eventually deemed an unreliable emissary, so they stopped asking.

My first Bruins memory was in 1970 - watching the SCF in some smoky tavern in backwoods Quebec, on a 10" black and white TV mounted on a shelf in the corner. The 7-year old me was essentially the waiter for my dad and my other drunken relatives, and I was sent to the bar to fetch trays of 'quarts' (big beers - kind of a Quebec tradition in those days) for them. I'm guessing society would frown on this kind of parenting these days.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 12:26 PM
KaptainKrug
My name is Pete

vCash: 50
That was one helluva read, Gee Wally.

KaptainKrug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 6000000
I grew up in Cambridge and I was allowed to ride buses and subway by myself by the time I was 10. The only place my mom forbid me to go by myself was Somerville

I wound up going to more Celtics games as a kid because they played a lot of Sunday afternoon games and the Bruins had very few matinee games in the 60's. The Cambridge YMCA was where the Celtics practiced and they were always passing out free tickets.

In 7th grade one of my aunts got me a birthday present which was tickets to Bozo and I was mortified as being 12 I was too old for that show. I did not tell any of my classmates and the next day I was being ribbed to death by them when I finally said 'The only way you know I was on Bozo was because you were watching it.'

Frank (Bozo) Avruch is still on the planet

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

We used to buy smokes for friends parents from the ice cream truck or the corner store. You'd just say they're for your parents and you were on your way. You could be 5 or 50 and they didn't care.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 03:08 PM
BNHL

My parents season tickets were in Stadium 5 Row 2 beginning in 1966. My first game was probably 68 and I was going a lot by 72,sometimes by myself at 12-13. At 10,my buddies and I took the train to the Hyde Skate Factory in Cambridge for our $5 Hyde All Stars. I remember gas as low as .29c,I think in 72 as I walked by my father's gas station in Forest Hills.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:42 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

I remember passing up .32 gas because I knew the next station would have it for .29...

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 06:11 AM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
I'm turning 48 next month. This was a great thread to read to reassure me that I'm not as old as I think I am. Thank you all.

LouJersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I grew up in Cambridge and I was allowed to ride buses and subway by myself by the time I was 10. The only place my mom forbid me to go by myself was Somerville

I wound up going to more Celtics games as a kid because they played a lot of Sunday afternoon games and the Bruins had very few matinee games in the 60's. The Cambridge YMCA was where the Celtics practiced and they were always passing out free tickets.

In 7th grade one of my aunts got me a birthday present which was tickets to Bozo and I was mortified as being 12 I was too old for that show. I did not tell any of my classmates and the next day I was being ribbed to death by them when I finally said 'The only way you know I was on Bozo was because you were watching it.'

Frank (Bozo) Avruch is still on the planet

Man is a legend.

his voice is so comforting.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 06:50 AM
LouJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Man is a legend.

his voice is so comforting.
Isn't his comforting voice overruled by his petrifying clown make-up?

Old
06-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
My parents season tickets were in Stadium 5 Row 2 beginning in 1966. My first game was probably 68 and I was going a lot by 72,sometimes by myself at 12-13. At 10,my buddies and I took the train to the Hyde Skate Factory in Cambridge for our $5 Hyde All Stars. I remember gas as low as .29c,I think in 72 as I walked by my father's gas station in Forest Hills.
Price of gas was stuck at 28 cents for years and a pack of cigarettes cost the same as a gallon of gas.

Old
06-12-2017, 09:50 AM
JRull86

Some of these stories are wild. Definitely a different era.

The "good ol' days" for me, was .95 cent/gallon gas when I got my license in 2002 lol. I remember when I was in college, and gas went above $2/gallon, I didn't move my car from the parking lot for like a month.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 10:20 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
Isn't his comforting voice overruled by his petrifying clown make-up?
Awww. Is the little lady scared of clowns?

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 10:24 AM
LouJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Awww. Is the little lady scared of clowns?
They serve no purpose. They don't entertain anyone. And yes, they are frightening! Haha.

We are all afraid of something. For me it's clowns, for you it's a late night police check point where they may search your trunk.

Old
06-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

I was never a big fan of Bozo.

Major Mudd and Rex Trailer - YES

and when it comes to creepy clowns

Old
06-12-2017, 10:36 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

When I was growing up we had a huge vegetable garden. God how I hated weeding that thing. My lifelong aversion to veggies can be traced back to those long days standing under a 90 degree sun, whacking weeds with my trusty hoe. (No, no that kind get your heads out of the gutter lol). We also raised cows (for meat) and pheasants (for hunting). It was a regular little "Green Acres", I think my father was a frustrated farmer.

I also remember riding my 3 speed spyder bike with the twist shifter on the right handle bar and leaving a strip of rubber when I stopped after attaining a blistering speed of 10 miles an hour. Roller skating on the concrete walkway to the front of the house (the old fashioned kind that attached to your shoe with a key) left me with permanently scraped knees & shins. Hours spent pretending I was Yaz in left field, throwing a rubber baseball against the brick walled side of the house (there must be at least 4 dozen balls still under the porch) and then going swimming in our above ground pool (with a slide!) to cool off.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky

I was always partial to Capt. Kangaroo.

Glove Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 10:39 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I was never a big fan of Bozo.

Major Mudd and Rex Trailer - YES

and when it comes to creepy clowns

OMG "Boomtown"!!!!

Old
06-12-2017, 10:40 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove Malfunction View Post
I was always partial to Capt. Kangaroo.
I liked it better than "Sesame Street"

Old
06-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post

Old
06-12-2017, 11:22 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
They serve no purpose. They don't entertain anyone. And yes, they are frightening! Haha.

We are all afraid of something. For me it's clowns, for you it's a late night police check point where they may search your trunk.

I work with a woman who is petrified of clowns, so I send her that creepy clown gif where the clown is offering free hugs under a dimly lit highway overpass. Never fails to make me laugh.

Old
06-12-2017, 11:29 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Loved Sesame Street, Captain Kangaroo, Mister Rogers, Bozo, and the Electric Company. Never understood Zoom though. Always thought it was really weird and creepy.