HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Topic Thread-Remembering the good 'ol days

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2017, 08:52 AM
  #101
RetiredWBC8
Registered User
 
RetiredWBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The 973
Country: United States
Posts: 43,997
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Can't go if it's too hot or too cold now, nevermind snow.

I get that just because something has been done a certain way, it doesn't mean it needs to continue -- of course safety should be the #1 priority. But holy ****, give me a break.
It's too hot, too cold. It's going to snow, snowing, or snowed the day before...school canceled regularly 12 hours in advance due to weather reports..must put loads of pressure on the teachers to get their lesson plan completed. Weird times.

I remember our bus sliding off the road a few times (lived fifteen miles from school), I remember baking in June because there was no ac (in my house or parents car either).. I don't remember kids passing out or whatever they are worried about now.

The best ones are when it snows the day before and the roads are clean but they can't get the buses cleaned off/out in time. Never was a problem in the 80s.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:59 AM
  #102
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star
 
William Faulkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Pretty rare that school is cancelled for weather, at least my school. It's probably 95+ in the building, and most classrooms don't have AC. It's super tiring for adults and probably worse for kids cause they don't really get the importance of water.

Our kids play in the heat, the snow, on ice. I think most schools are probably this way.

William Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:40 AM
  #103
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 15,665
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
We had 11 cancellations this year.

5 snow days and 6 snow packet days.

We finished on Friday. I can't complain. The air conditioning is pretty good where I'm at. I had to wear a sweater at times in May.

__________________
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:43 AM
  #104
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I grocery shop at WalMart. On average it costs me 10-15 a week less than going to Big Y. That's over 100 bucks a year in my pocket. Like you I won't buy meat there not only because it's terrible but the packages are just too big for a single person. I don't need to buy 5 pounds of hamburger at a time thank you very much.
Big Y is the worst.
There is one about 5 miles from our house in Holden, but we refuse to go there. So over priced. There is also a CVS in that same plaza, but the Big Y doesnt allow the CVS to sell milk there. Screw Big Y

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:49 AM
  #105
Kate08
Registered User
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,887
vCash: 500
Just made a marinade for some pork tenderloin to throw on the grill tonight. EVOO, a little balsamic vinegar, Dijon, touch of liquid smoke, little agave, Worcestershire, soy, a ******** of garlic, red pepper and black pepper with some fresh chives.

Is it dinner yet?

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:53 AM
  #106
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star
 
William Faulkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
We had 11 cancellations this year.

5 snow days and 6 snow packet days.

We finished on Friday. I can't complain. The air conditioning is pretty good where I'm at. I had to wear a sweater at times in May.
Whoa! That's the dream!

__________________
The past is never dead. It's not even past.
William Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 10:08 AM
  #107
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I grocery shop at WalMart. On average it costs me 10-15 a week less than going to Big Y. That's over 100 bucks a year in my pocket. Like you I won't buy meat there not only because it's terrible but the packages are just too big for a single person. I don't need to buy 5 pounds of hamburger at a time thank you very much.
Yep. Big Y is ridiculous as is Price Chopper, unless you buy only the stuff on sale. Last time we went to Big Y, we got stuff home and saw it was over a year past the expiration date. I guess that's a regular happening there. They were nice about it and we brought the expired crap back, but still. Pay attention to your stock, FFS.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:20 AM
  #108
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,394
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I remember junior year in HS...1986. My science teacher would give a classmate the keys to his car a couple of times a month and tell him to "run out" to the store and buy him a pack of Marlboro's.
My science teacher used to take the class outside on walks so he could smoke.

__________________
Winter is coming so the snowflakes will win!
Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:21 AM
  #109
RetiredWBC8
Registered User
 
RetiredWBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The 973
Country: United States
Posts: 43,997
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Just made a marinade for some pork tenderloin to throw on the grill tonight. EVOO, a little balsamic vinegar, Dijon, touch of liquid smoke, little agave, Worcestershire, soy, a ******** of garlic, red pepper and black pepper with some fresh chives.

Is it dinner yet?
Yum. You should come out with a recipe blog or something.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:21 AM
  #110
RetiredWBC8
Registered User
 
RetiredWBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The 973
Country: United States
Posts: 43,997
vCash: 1000
The only store worse than Walmart is IKEA.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:32 AM
  #111
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,394
vCash: 140
I remember taking the train from Concord , MA and meeting my Dad in Boston to go to Boston Brave games at the old Garden. He had season tickets right next to the penalty box on the glass.

My feet would get cold . We saw a lot of Terry O. as he spent time in the box pretty much every game. I loved going to the games and sitting up close.

When I first got my ST at the "New" Garden my Dad was still alive but he was in the nursing home due to Alzheimer's. I wish he had been well enough to go to a game or two as he would have loved it. I brought Mom to a game every year until she left this earth.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:36 AM
  #112
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
The only store worse than Walmart is IKEA.
True story. Went there once. Never again. Literally is hell on earth.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:51 AM
  #113
Kate08
Registered User
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
Yum. You should come out with a recipe blog or something.
Ha. I've thought about it. I don't really develop a lot of recipes though, just see things I like then put my own twist on it. I really like reading about food and recipes and then making good, tasty, and pretty food.

Grilled pizza for the first time last night and was amazed at how unique the taste is. You definitely get the char from the grill without being burnt, and the crust is simultaneously chewy in some spots and crunchy in others. Big fan, and it was fast, too. Just need to be prepared because once the dough starts to cook you need to work quickly to assemble and then bake it off on the grill. I had a cookie sheet outside with me with all my toppings that were pre-cooked and pre-sliced so it was good to go.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:53 AM
  #114
RetiredWBC8
Registered User
 
RetiredWBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The 973
Country: United States
Posts: 43,997
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Ha. I've thought about it. I don't really develop a lot of recipes though, just see things I like then put my own twist on it. I really like reading about food and recipes and then making good, tasty, and pretty food.

Grilled pizza for the first time last night and was amazed at how unique the taste is. You definitely get the char from the grill without being burnt, and the crust is simultaneously chewy in some spots and crunchy in others. Big fan, and it was fast, too. Just need to be prepared because once the dough starts to cook you need to work quickly to assemble and then bake it off on the grill. I had a cookie sheet outside with me with all my toppings that were pre-cooked and pre-sliced so it was good to go.
So you skipped the pizza stone part? Directly on the rack? That's a fabulous idea.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:02 PM
  #115
Kate08
Registered User
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
So you skipped the pizza stone part? Directly on the rack? That's a fabulous idea.
Yup. Right on the rack. I rolled it out in my kitchen then put it on a greased cookie sheet and brushed both sides of the dough with olive oil. Preheated the grill then threw it on. Was really cool to watch it bubble as it cooked. Once it was solid and partially cooked, I flipped it over then started loading my toppings on the side that just had been cooked. You need to watch it, obviously -- I ended up turning one of the burners off because I thought it was cooking too quickly. But it's done, start to finish, in probably about 7-8 minutes. And the flavor from cooking on the grate is very clearly a grill flavor.

Had leftovers today, and reheated in a skillet with the lid on. By far the best method to reheat, and the grilled dough held up even better than pizzas I've reheated this way from a pizza place.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:18 PM
  #116
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
The only store worse than Walmart is IKEA.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:36 PM
  #117
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Yup. Right on the rack. I rolled it out in my kitchen then put it on a greased cookie sheet and brushed both sides of the dough with olive oil. Preheated the grill then threw it on. Was really cool to watch it bubble as it cooked. Once it was solid and partially cooked, I flipped it over then started loading my toppings on the side that just had been cooked. You need to watch it, obviously -- I ended up turning one of the burners off because I thought it was cooking too quickly. But it's done, start to finish, in probably about 7-8 minutes. And the flavor from cooking on the grate is very clearly a grill flavor.

Had leftovers today, and reheated in a skillet with the lid on. By far the best method to reheat, and the grilled dough held up even better than pizzas I've reheated this way from a pizza place.
I typically reheat my leftover pizza on my grill. Comes out great, but you have to watch it so you don't char the **** out of it. I've done the frying pan method too. Also good.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:47 PM
  #118
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,755
vCash: 4481585
The FIRST Balcony at Boston Garden - BEST SEATS IN THE NHL


Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:53 PM
  #119
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 15,665
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
When I was little, my dad and mom went to a game at the Forum.

I guess the seats were up high looking down on Roy for two periods and it was so steep that my mom couldn't sit in them because she was afraid of heights so she just walked around and got some souvenirs for me.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 01:07 PM
  #120
Kate08
Registered User
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The FIRST Balcony at Boston Garden - BEST SEATS IN THE NHL

My dad had season tickets right behind the camera well at the old garden in the balcony. I loved it. I remember being at a game where Adam Oates got called for too much man and went ape-****. I was like 8 or something and watched it all in the camera in front of me.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 01:11 PM
  #121
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 28,128
vCash: 500
Had some great memories at the Garden with my dad and aunt.

I saw Robert Parish's last game as a Celtic and I was at the game when Adam Oates got traded.

I will never forget the rats either.

__________________
Do you believe in miracles?!

I am Boston Strong
6/15/11
4/15/13
10/30/13 | 2/1/15 | 2/5/17

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:06 PM
  #122
Dueling Banjos
Registered User
 
Dueling Banjos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 250

Dueling Banjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:09 PM
  #123
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,394
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Had some great memories at the Garden with my dad and aunt.

I saw Robert Parish's last game as a Celtic and I was at the game when Adam Oates got traded.

I will never forget the rats either.
Remember the smoke ?

If you were in the balcony it got pretty bad some nights.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:21 PM
  #124
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 29,942
vCash: 500
I saw the Celtics at the old Garden, first round playoff game either 85 or 86. They just destroyed their opponent. The Big Three were just crushing it. I can't remember who it was though

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:24 PM
  #125
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 28,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Remember the smoke ?

If you were in the balcony it got pretty bad some nights.
I do remember it and the insulation that would fall when we'd hit the ceiling.

The smoke was the worst on Friday nights.

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.