HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL viewer median age is now 49

Old
06-11-2017, 05:58 AM
LighthouseKeepr

vCash: 50
It all come down to economics!

Hockey is the most expensive of all the youth sports for both registration fees and equipment cost. Early practice hours and the amount of travel required to out of town tournaments limit lower income families from putting their kids into youth hockey.

There needs to be a way to offset/minimize the cost of youth hockey before you will start to see more diversity in the NHL!

LighthouseKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:01 AM
MayDay

vCash: 500
"Lack of diversity"? The NHL is the most diverse North American sports league. Think about all the nationalities represented. All the different languages spoken in dressing rooms. That's true diversity.

Compare to something like the NFL, where 99% of players all come from the same country and speak the same language. That's not diverse at all.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:05 AM
MNNumbers

Not really my thread, but I think the discussion of diversity needs a comment.....

It's not the diversity of the players that's in question. It's the diversity of the fans. NHL fans skew to "older" "upper middle class" "white"

And, again, as has been said earlier, the issue is not "how many are streaming", but it's "If TV viewership is down and/or skewing to older fans, what does that say about what NBC or Rogers might or might not want to pay for the next media rights contract?"

MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:07 AM
MayDay

Unless you define "diversity" in a very shallow and superficial way to mean "the number of non-white people."

But I assume posters here would not think about these issues in such a simple-minded way.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 09:41 AM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Cord Cutting is overblown.
Not according to cable providers... the ones effected by it.

Cord-cutting is a concern and is growing each year. Many kids have barely experienced cable. The idea of watching something at a specific time each week and only in their living room is archaic to them. They want to watch whatever they want, whenever they want and wherever they want.

I grew up watching TV in the 70's and even I find the restrictions now annoying. I've cut the cord for years and haven't regretted it one bit.

I don't think the NHL drawing more affluent fans is a good thing. It shows how limited the fan base is. Basically it's being watched by old white folks. We already see how little attention the NHL gets compared to MLB, NFL and the NBA... it will only get worse if the fanbase continues to remain white and gets older.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Unless you're a team owner with potential financial gain at stake, why would you care about whether or not the sport grows? It is already played by millions of people in numerous countries, many of which now send players to the NHL, a league now consisting of 31 teams in all sorts of far-flung locales across North America, playing games from September to June. Seems to me the sport is already pretty damn big. A lot bigger than many traditional fans would prefer, to be honest.
There are business reasons to "care" in the sense of advertising, who's watching and where/when they're watching, just to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechire View Post
I'm more concerned about the 5% viewership decrease among 17 and unders in the past decade. Either young people have a decreasing level of interest in the sport which would be terrible for the future of the sport or they no longer watch on television which would be terrible for future tv contracts which would affect league revenue.
I agree with your general tone, but I pointed out back in 2006 or thereabouts that the NHL was working the digital age in a very backward manner. Exclusivity to one network and being locked up to their streaming options (if any) wasn't going to help them in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Older people purchase cable. Younger people stream it. Skewed.
Exactly. It's like the phone system. There was a time we only had land lines....

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Lol I didn't realize the fact most players come from the United States and are black means multiple countries and races? NHL players come from many different European countries, but I guess that's not enough because of being white right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanskog View Post
The NHL is the only Big Four league without a single nationality constituting the majority while American players make up 70% of NBA players.

Which one is more diverse?
Not to pick on you two, but do you understand how divided the US is right now, and much of that is based on race, religion, gender, orientation, etc.? I think you actually do understand. Furthermore, if you ask a person from one of the groups above, their definition of diversity would different to what you state here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
In his mind, the NBA due to its 'blackness'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
"Lack of diversity"? The NHL is the most diverse North American sports league. Think about all the nationalities represented. All the different languages spoken in dressing rooms. That's true diversity.

Compare to something like the NFL, where 99% of players all come from the same country and speak the same language. That's not diverse at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Unless you define "diversity" in a very shallow and superficial way to mean "the number of non-white people."

But I assume posters here would not think about these issues in such a simple-minded way.
I think you're underestimating the gap in our country right now between people - due to their skin color, socioeconomic status, or other factors.

So to make it relevant to this discussion, it would seem that many NHL fans are indeed Caucasian, with higher income levels, higher education levels, and older -- which IS relevant to the people buying ad space or promotions, for example.

I think the point Fenway was trying to make is that the times are changing.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Not according to cable providers... the ones effected by it.

Cord-cutting is a concern and is growing each year. Many kids have barely experienced cable. The idea of watching something at a specific time each week and only in their living room is archaic to them. They want to watch whatever they want, whenever they want and wherever they want.

I grew up watching TV in the 70's and even I find the restrictions now annoying. I've cut the cord for years and haven't regretted it one bit.

I don't think the NHL drawing more affluent fans is a good thing. It shows how limited the fan base is. Basically it's being watched by old white folks. We already see how little attention the NHL gets compared to MLB, NFL and the NBA... it will only get worse if the fanbase continues to remain white and gets older.

I think you have to take into account these figures are based on American viewership statistics. I would assume the numbers would be different in Canada. Soccer might be gaining traction among participants here as it is relatively inexpensive compared to hockey but there is no danger that hockey will lose its place as the national pastime in Canada. Hockey will continue to be played and watched in Canada regardless of what happens elsewhere. Even if the NHL was to collapse as a league due to falling interest in the U.S., the game would continue in Canada since hockey is embedded in our culture. Our youth will continue to dream of hoisting the Stanley Cup as in years past. I'm not saying I want American teams to disappear from the league but if viewership is dropping in the U.S. and the impression that only old white men care about hockey there, it is the prerogative of Americans to decide for themselves whether hockey is the most exciting sport to watch or not. Hockey, like football, baseball and basketball, is its own game. You either will like it or not like it. To try and change it so that it no longer resembles the game that made it popular as a sport to begin with in order to try and maintain a fan base or viewership in U.S. is not the right approach.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 11:00 AM
saskganesh

50 is not old. It's mature. And unlike kids, they have the money. And that cohort still has several decades of sports consumption left. So while aging demographics are a point of concern, I don't think it's a crisis. It's a comfortable, lazy boy recliner type problem

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think the point Fenway was trying to make is that the times are changing.
Precisely. Not just in the US but in Canada as well with even greater ethnic diversity. Shrinking of the Middle Classes, wider gaps between haves & have not's, game changing methods in the delivery of live entertainment & sport with a lot more choices & options, diversity.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 11:31 AM
tony d
Irish Spring Soap

Given not many people watch TV anymore this study should be taken with a grain of salt. More people are cutting cable daily especially younger people.

Celebrating 10 yrs. at hfboards today. Thanks everyone for making the past decade so memorable. Here's to 10 more years.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 11:44 AM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Given not many people watch TV anymore this study should be taken with a grain of salt. More people are cutting cable daily especially younger people.
Purpose of thread is not to discuss loss of viewership.

Purpose of thread is to discuss exactly the changes you are mentioning. Digital streaming, mobile access, and how that relates to the next round of media contracts is nothing to dismiss. It may be the MAJOR business issue in the next 5-10 years, along with concussions.

As others have stated, there is a reasonable likelihood that NBC and/or Rogers won't pay as much in the next round of media contracts. How does NHL make that up? As they currently use MLBAM as their streaming app, can they monetize that enough to make up the difference?

Last edited by MNNumbers: 06-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.
MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 11:44 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Precisely. Not just in the US but in Canada as well with even greater ethnic diversity. Shrinking of the Middle Classes, wider gaps between haves & have not's, game changing methods in the delivery of live entertainment & sport with a lot more choices & options, diversity.
I agree completely especially with the bolded. It will be fascinating to see the disruption and changes that come from it over the next decade. How will the major sports adapt to the challenges and opportunities?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 12:59 PM
USAUSA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Purpose of thread is not to discuss loss of viewership.

Purpose of thread is to discuss exactly the changes you are mentioning. Digital streaming, mobile access, and how that relates to the next round of media contracts is nothing to dismiss. It may be the MAJOR business issue in the next 5-10 years, along with concussions.

As others have stated, there is a reasonable likelihood that NBC and/or Rogers won't pay as much in the next round of media contracts. How does NHL make that up? As they currently use MLBAM as their streaming app, can they monetize that enough to make up the difference?
Considering how much NBC pays now and how they been bragging about the Stanley cup playoff ratings for years, I highly doubt NBC will pay them less than they currently do. Plus, there's no other options for NBC for sports primetime programming. They just pick up rugby, that should tell you how much they need the nhl. If anything, nhl value is going up.

Getting involved with BAM was very smart. That property will continue to grow.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I agree completely especially with the bolded. It will be fascinating to see the disruption and changes that come from it over the next decade. How will the major sports adapt to the challenges and opportunities?
Yep, thats the question alrighty. They'll need to adapt, see the challenges as opportunities, seize & monetize to make up for the shortfall's, bottoming out of traditional media revenues & broadcast fee's. An adjustment, serious market correction on the horizon. For those who are innovative it could well work to their advantage with greater revenues however its not going to be easy in that it'll no longer be single sourced from any given major broadcaster dropping a fortune for the rights. I see it morphing into being entirely performance based at the subscriber level with choices, lower ticket price, much lower than current cable costs for even basic service. The networks themselves having to reinvent how they deliver almost everything or face extinction as they now seem to be.

Old
06-11-2017, 01:26 PM
USAUSA1

Well since Nhl is with Comcast/NBC, I doubt they have to worry about future rights.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Cord Cutting is overblown.
You say that, but I'm literally the only one of in my group of college friends that still pays for cable...and I'm likely cutting the cord next month.

Though I guess you could say some of that is overblown because there never was a cable cut, a lot of my friends just never paid for cable.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4000000
As far as streaming is concerned, here in Boston NESN now streams everything to their mobile app EXCEPT Bruins games. Sunday afternoon NESN was showing a game from last season vs Carolina but the app is running the Bruins in house documentary.

Like most apps you have to have an account with a satellite/cable provider.

If you are watching the playoffs on NBC they are going after affluent viewers with ads for Ford pushing the high end Lincoln car brand.

Streaming is the future but how does the league best monetize that? For now they sold the digital rights to MLBAM and get a yearly check from them. But the real problem is pirate streams which are 'free' and getting far better in quality. These streams are very easy to find and the league gets nothing in return.

Sports is not alone with the aging demographics. In Boston we have 5 stations competing for local news and the median age is 61.

Truth is nobody knows how this will shake out.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
You say that, but I'm literally the only one of in my group of college friends that still pays for cable...and I'm likely cutting the cord next month.

Though I guess you could say some of that is overblown because there never was a cable cut, a lot of my friends just never paid for cable.
Your also in an industry whereby you'd probably want to keep cable, keep abreast of network programming & developments to some degree so it would make sense to have cable. But if even then you feel you can live without it, show sites, netflix, youtube it etc & maybe grab one of those ota antennas & get at least a couple or more stations then sure, why pay for something you dont really use having greater ease of access to watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it...

Old
06-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Your also in an industry whereby you'd probably want to keep cable, keep abreast of network programming & developments to some degree so it would make sense to have cable. But if even then you feel you can live without it, show sites, netflix, youtube it etc & maybe grab one of those ota antennas & get at least a couple or more stations then sure, why pay for something you dont really use having greater ease of access to watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it...
It is absolutely mind-blowing how many screenwriters in this town don't have cable anymore. I know people who have created successful shows who can't actually watch their own show because they don't have cable

If I'm being honest the only reason I've kept it so long is because of sports. I can stream any and every show I watch legally, but not sports.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 03:06 PM
PuckProphet

Drawn to this thread like a bug into a zapper ...from experience they dont want to go younger .... they do want very young fans to keep the machine going down the line but they figure 20 30 year olds won't be able to afford the ticket prices they are going to have to raise ...3 or 4 years ago they got very mad at the idea the sport is dying out .... maybe not so much as player talent but from a fan prospective ..... even in Canada ....

PuckProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2017, 03:06 PM
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Older people purchase cable. Younger people stream it. Skewed.
That was my first thought as well, I wonder if this actually has an effect though and if it was taken into consideration

06-11-2017, 03:37 PM
PuckProphet

no one repeat no one gets into hockey from watching it on tv ....maybe that 1980 olympic game ... they dont get the rules they dont get offsides ...they think of it like a slam dunk pass or hail o mary touchdown ... they cannot comprehend why you prohibit the long pass to unguarded player

Old
06-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It is absolutely mind-blowing how many screenwriters in this town don't have cable anymore. I know people who have created successful shows who can't actually watch their own show because they don't have cable

If I'm being honest the only reason I've kept it so long is because of sports. I can stream any and every show I watch legally, but not sports.
... full circle. Before cable, heck even when antennas' came along to boost ota signals a lot of people (my family included) refused to even get a tv, bad influence on the kids, stifling creativity. If it wasnt for a Grandfather buying us a set one Christmas, and no we were not poor, far from it, I'd have missed seeing the Leafs win Cups, the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.... probably even the Moonwalk yrs later... So this might be a good thing. Higher quality screenwriting which is really where it all starts. As most actors will tell you if being honest, great movies, shows & roles arent created by them, not even by Directors or Producers, there written.

Old
06-11-2017, 03:59 PM
PuckProphet

Quote:
... full circle. Before cable, heck even when antennas' came along to boost ota signals a lot of people (my family included) refused to even get a tv, bad influence on the kids, stifling creativity. If it wasnt for a Grandfather buying us a set one Christmas, and no we were not poor, far from it, I'd have missed seeing the Leafs win Cups, the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.... probably even the Moonwalk yrs later... So this might be a good thing. Higher quality screenwriting which is really where it all starts. As most actors will tell you if being honest, great movies, shows & roles arent created by them, not even by Directors or Producers, there written.
I have thought about this ....tv still being the biggest venue back in 2013 2014 .... However the thought of growing the league creating interest and revenue through association not on ice play or fandom was mocked .... they didn't want the players wives on tv they didn't want to play game shows they didn't want productions catered to new fans ( they are doing an ok job of productions related to already fans) while not your point the post is insightful .....no new blood or innovation

Add in the internet for which now they need Growth Hackers A term they didn't get until the last coulee of years .... Add in the fact most tv is a big production company that has several shows ...that employs a demographic that shuns Hockey .... them = both the players and owners ....

Last edited by PuckProphet: 06-11-2017 at 04:11 PM.