HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL viewer median age is now 49

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2017, 12:21 PM
  #76
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
Is there actually anyone that's concerned for the sustainability of the league ?

I think the NHL could easily lose a third to half the teams without concern for sustainability (it'd be an improvement of the product IMO) - IMO marketing and continuous growth don't connect to the sustainability of the league (they connect to the idea that continuous growth and more "casual fans" are a must, which isn't true IMO.....they're necessary for the players/owners to make more money, but I don't believe they're actually necessary for league sustainability)
Given the frequent lockouts, you should be. It drives people away from the sport.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 12:23 PM
  #77
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
No hockey fan devoted enough to post on the Business of Hockey section of HFBoards honestly thinks the league has no problems.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
I've grown up in BC/Alberta here in Canada, and it's the Bruins no contest in my experience (it's the Bruins over the entire NBA combined)
In Boston, where he lives, it's the Celts. The NHL is having a problem with the younger generation, even BC and Alberta, regardless.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
  #78
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
To really appreciate the beauty of hockey, you've got to attend a game once in a while.

How many under 50 fans can really afford that these days?

All signs point to the North American market being saturated. But is the NHL reaching out beyond its borders to attract new fans?

Nope.

As has been said before, hockey is the best sport but has the worst league.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 12:48 PM
  #79
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It is absolutely mind-blowing how many screenwriters in this town don't have cable anymore. I know people who have created successful shows who can't actually watch their own show because they don't have cable

If I'm being honest the only reason I've kept it so long is because of sports. I can stream any and every show I watch legally, but not sports.
This is the hard part for me. Out of the major sports I watch, only baseball I can really find a good legal option for streaming. Im 31 and still paying for cable. I have a limit though as adding the TSNs to my package would cost $27/month which to me is absurd. Added all the SNs/MLBN/FSRacing/Golf Channel for $10 in comparison.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 01:12 PM
  #80
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,706
vCash: 4000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
In Boston, where he lives, it's the Celts. The NHL is having a problem with the younger generation, even BC and Alberta, regardless.
The Bruins get better ratings on NESN than the Celtics do on CSN.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 02:33 PM
  #81
Pilky01
Registered User
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
To really appreciate the beauty of hockey, you've got to attend a game once in a while.
I brought my good friend to a game once, he had never been, and like everyone he was blown away by how much more you see in person and how much more naturally it all appears to flow.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 03:54 PM
  #82
qwerty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckProphet View Post
Qwerty dear Qwerty there are literally dozens of reasons the fans run from the NHL ...Since you wrote so eloquently in the ratings thread and seem to be a voice of reason ...I must give you this advice .....Forget about it .... its a dead end because the NHL REFUSES to pay for customer acquisition ...at least in my case .....
i will offer three example 1 they dont get the rules they cannot comprehend why players are allowed to punch each other in the face they cannot comprehend the idea of offsides they are looking for a hail o mary or the long breakaway pass ...how the game is played .... 2 they are driven off by us diehard fans ...if we argue with each other saying things like thats stupid or whatever insult who do you think a new fan is going to feel my team even implemented fan ambassadors it was not as successful as it could be due to jealousy rivalry and who are you theory ..3 lets say they take it upon themselves to attend a game .... while i could say most i should say some venues are no places for women and children ..lot of time part time fans think fans are supposed to act like jerks .....
i am as passionate as you on this subject however i am not in a bar looking to play the fame game and get some free gold ( thats an insult to the players and league) so i dont say any growth hacks ....
again the only reason i address you because you put thought into your post looking for a solution try to be amicable and use reason ....so i say again forget about it .....its not a priority until attendance drops if it ever does ...they dont want new fans or younger fans ....
think of it this way mention the Kardashians and 6 people hate them 2 people ask why are they famous but the last two are utterly infatuated .... as long as they pull 1 mil 1 .5 mil viewers it does not matter if anyone else hates them ....God Bless
Appreciate the respect there, ratings and growth of the game has always been of interest to me due to my interest in business. But you're probably right, at the end of the day, the ratings are what they are and I'm not paid by the league to try to market or increase their share, so there's really nothing I could do to help them.

But to me, it's incredible how much potential this game, these athletes and this league has, but just can't quite seem to get over the hump. I hope for their sake, they can put it all together at some point and put this league where it should be along with the other Big 4 and gain the respect they deserve.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 03:55 PM
  #83
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 24,161
vCash: 500
This is more about the fact they're solely examining broadcast/cable/satellite TV viewers, and not considering the internet audience.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 05:29 PM
  #84
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The Bruins get better ratings on NESN than the Celtics do on CSN.
Not in a position to argue, but I'm guessing its because the Celtics have been awful since 1993 the Garnett years aside. Isiah Thomas has brought a new light in any case.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 08:04 PM
  #85
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechire View Post
The sustainability of the league(and any fan's favorite team) should be the concern of every fan. And some posters are interested in the business aspects as well as the on-ice product. I know I'd rather read about advertising and demographics than a dozen different threads whining about how boring hockey is now.
The sustainability of the league has not been a serious question since the depression/war years. It has steadily grown into a multi-billion dollar industry over the past half century, decreasing in size only very briefly (Barons merging with the North Stars in the late 70's a couple years before the WHA was absorbed). It's not going anywhere for as far into the future as we can reasonably forsee.

Sustainability of an individual team in a particular market, yes I can see why fans in some locales would be concerned. Still, "growing the game" in the sense that the term is usually used and the ideas that are thrown about pertaining to it tend to be fairly global in scope. Whereas the sustainability of a team in a struggling market is by and large a function of how many people within driving distance of the arena have the money and desire to attend NHL hockey games at a certain price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Given the frequent lockouts, you should be. It drives people away from the sport.
Do you have any evidence to back this claim? The league seems as popular as ever, and I have yet to encounter one single person in my market (Edmonton area) that stopped watching the NHL as fallout from one of the lockouts.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 09:29 PM
  #86
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 21,339
vCash: 500
Wow!! Looks like the NFL is really screwed.

Kind of a stupid approach to trying to illustrate absolutely...nothing.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:18 PM
  #87
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
The sustainability of the league has not been a serious question since the depression/war years. It has steadily grown into a multi-billion dollar industry over the past half century, decreasing in size only very briefly (Barons merging with the North Stars in the late 70's a couple years before the WHA was absorbed). It's not going anywhere for as far into the future as we can reasonably forsee.

Sustainability of an individual team in a particular market, yes I can see why fans in some locales would be concerned. Still, "growing the game" in the sense that the term is usually used and the ideas that are thrown about pertaining to it tend to be fairly global in scope. Whereas the sustainability of a team in a struggling market is by and large a function of how many people within driving distance of the arena have the money and desire to attend NHL hockey games at a certain price point.



Do you have any evidence to back this claim? The league seems as popular as ever, and I have yet to encounter one single person in my market (Edmonton area) that stopped watching the NHL as fallout from one of the lockouts.
You live in Edmonton, this is about the US. I know quiet a few people that stopped watching f after the 2004 lockout.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:55 AM
  #88
NJDevils7
Registered User
 
NJDevils7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
NHL's lack of diversity is a problem and needs to be fixed.
Why? There is nothing to stop anyone from watching hockey. People watch what they want to watch.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 12:10 PM
  #89
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 38,377
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
To really appreciate the beauty of hockey, you've got to attend a game once in a while.

How many under 50 fans can really afford that these days?

All signs point to the North American market being saturated. But is the NHL reaching out beyond its borders to attract new fans?

Nope.

As has been said before, hockey is the best sport but has the worst league.
Aside from MLS how many sports in North America even have remotely affordable prices at this point? Hell even MLS tickets aren't exactly cheap.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:45 PM
  #90
USAUSA1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Off topic but the nba game 5 had 24 million viewers and the 4th most watch game since 98. Last year world series game 5 had 23 million. I thought the nba was so far ahead of the old MLB? I know what the critics will say, it's the Cubs 100 years. But the nba had a trilogy with their top 3 stars.

All I am saying is that the gap is not that big. In matter of fact, without Lebron(he has about 3-5 years) the nba numbers are not the same. I don't think Wall or Kyrie will carry the torch like Bron.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:54 PM
  #91
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Aside from MLS how many sports in North America even have remotely affordable prices at this point? Hell even MLS tickets aren't exactly cheap.
Sure, but I think that you can get a lot of the experience by watching most sports on TV. Hockey is the one that you really have to watch in person to get all the nuances.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:42 PM
  #92
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 38,377
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Sure, but I think that you can get a lot of the experience by watching most sports on TV. Hockey is the one that you really have to watch in person to get all the nuances.
Exactly. It's basically impossible for the league to grow a young fan base when it still struggles to translate to tv and a night at the game for a family of 4 (if they're lucky) is $200, and in many places twice that.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:13 AM
  #93
PuckProphet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Some poster wrote that the youngest avg audience is MLS with an average age of 40 .... same poster wrote football and baseball higher age than 49 .... while taking into a account most younger viewers watch at a bar or in groups not considered by ratings .... the real issue young people watch less and less live tv

PuckProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:22 AM
  #94
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckProphet View Post
Some poster wrote that the youngest avg audience is MLS with an average age of 40 .... same poster wrote football and baseball higher age than 49 .... while taking into a account most younger viewers watch at a bar or in groups not considered by ratings .... the real issue young people watch less and less live tv
This is exactly what we have been saying all through this thread.

Young people watch less and less live TV... For NHL, the question becomes..."Why should I watch the whole game when I have an app on my phone that alerts me if something important happens....?"

And, the problem there is that, if fewer people are watching, then the broadcast rights are worth less, because advertisers don't get as many eyeballs watching.

So, the important part of this issue is....Given that it appears that the next US TV contract will be less, and the first reports are that Canadian will be less, too, because we hear that Rogers has overpaid......How does the NHL make up that revenue in a changing world?

And, the only answer is to monetize mobile to a greater degree.

So, the subject really is: Does this trend translate the less league-wide revenue? And, if so, what does that mean for the teams in lower revenue markets?

MNNumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:27 AM
  #95
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,063
vCash: 500
Actually, Millennials are watching less sports, on TV, streaming, or other, than the prior generation, which will push up the average age of all sports viewers. There are too many other things to do and their lifestyle doesn't fit dumping 15 hours a week into watching sports on TV.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:40 AM
  #96
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,212
vCash: 750
I am a millennial (but I detest basketball and the NBA) and I feel there are at least two significant reasons the NBA are becoming more popular with young Canadians. One being that millennials are more diverse than older generations and basketball has a much bigger foothold in many of the cultures these people originated from. Secondly, the appeal of basketball seems to be largely due to the strong culture that surrounds it. For instance basketball has a strong association with hip-hop music, but hockey lacks any sort of association with a music genre. I only have anecdotal evidence, but from my personal experience basketball fans seem to be a lot more into the culture around the sport than hockey fans are. I think that that culture draws in a lot of fans, but for what it is worth I don't think that means that hockey should create a culture as I think it is more inclusive without one (and one of the aspects I dislike about basketball is the culture).

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:12 PM
  #97
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I am a millennial (but I detest basketball and the NBA) and I feel there are at least two significant reasons the NBA are becoming more popular with young Canadians. One being that millennials are more diverse than older generations and basketball has a much bigger foothold in many of the cultures these people originated from. Secondly, the appeal of basketball seems to be largely due to the strong culture that surrounds it. For instance basketball has a strong association with hip-hop music, but hockey lacks any sort of association with a music genre. I only have anecdotal evidence, but from my personal experience basketball fans seem to be a lot more into the culture around the sport than hockey fans are. I think that that culture draws in a lot of fans, but for what it is worth I don't think that means that hockey should create a culture as I think it is more inclusive without one (and one of the aspects I dislike about basketball is the culture).
The thing is, I actually dont see which culture "loves" basketball besides for China. Atleast to me, it feels like the most widely played sport that is the least "loved". Theres really no culture that screams basketball to me except China dnd Lithuania.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:22 PM
  #98
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,212
vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The thing is, I actually dont see which culture "loves" basketball besides for China. Atleast to me, it feels like the most widely played sport that is the least "loved". Theres really no culture that screams basketball to me except China dnd Lithuania.
Again, just personal annectodal evidence, but the Southeast Asian cultures (in particular Filipino) seem quite into it. Also the bar is to be above hockey, which isn't high.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:31 PM
  #99
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Again, just personal annectodal evidence, but the Southeast Asian cultures (in particular Filipino) seem quite into it. Also the bar is to be above hockey, which isn't high.
Yeah forgot about that community, it is popular among their community here in Winnipeg.

I always find it odd how the big basketball loving countries generally aren't good at the sport.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:47 PM
  #100
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Yeah forgot about that community, it is popular among their community here in Winnipeg.

I always find it odd how the big basketball loving countries generally aren't good at the sport.
Indeed. The Vancouver Grizzlies during their run very popular with the Asian & SE Asian community throughout the Lower Mainland.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.