HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL viewer median age is now 49

Old
06-14-2017, 01:29 PM
PuckProphet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I am a millennial (but I detest basketball and the NBA) and I feel there are at least two significant reasons the NBA are becoming more popular with young Canadians. One being that millennials are more diverse than older generations and basketball has a much bigger foothold in many of the cultures these people originated from. Secondly, the appeal of basketball seems to be largely due to the strong culture that surrounds it. For instance basketball has a strong association with hip-hop music, but hockey lacks any sort of association with a music genre. I only have anecdotal evidence, but from my personal experience basketball fans seem to be a lot more into the culture around the sport than hockey fans are. I think that that culture draws in a lot of fans, but for what it is worth I don't think that means that hockey should create a culture as I think it is more inclusive without one (and one of the aspects I dislike about basketball is the culture).
anecdotal evidence is true religion .....(true religion = very credible = universal human nature)

PuckProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 01:32 PM
PuckProphet

Got a lot to say about it ...If i were to bet ...I would bet the NHL china experiment is a fail .... better words insignificant ... Dont get me wrong ...Huge opportunity .... I just dont think there is necessary comprehension on the NHL side ....

Old
06-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The thing is, I actually dont see which culture "loves" basketball besides for China. Atleast to me, it feels like the most widely played sport that is the least "loved". Theres really no culture that screams basketball to me except China dnd Lithuania.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Again, just personal annectodal evidence, but the Southeast Asian cultures (in particular Filipino) seem quite into it. Also the bar is to be above hockey, which isn't high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Yeah forgot about that community, it is popular among their community here in Winnipeg.

I always find it odd how the big basketball loving countries generally aren't good at the sport.
Indian
Pakistani
Arabic
Filipino

Hockey has no hold in these communities.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 09:47 PM
hockeyguy0022

Honestly, and I say this as someone who played lots of hockey at the highest levels outside of pro.

Prices are far too expensive, even if you make a "good" wage/salary.

The hockey is pretty boring unless you're watching the western teams (LA, Anaheim, Edmonton, etc..)

I would far rather go to an NLL game. NLL is a far better product entertainment wise and I say that with 0 bias.

hockeyguy0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:05 PM
PuckProphet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy0022 View Post
Honestly, and I say this as someone who played lots of hockey at the highest levels outside of pro.

Prices are far too expensive, even if you make a "good" wage/salary.

The hockey is pretty boring unless you're watching the western teams (LA, Anaheim, Edmonton, etc..)

I would far rather go to an NLL game. NLL is a far better product entertainment wise and I say that with 0 bias.
Maybe just maybe it may help explaining schemes , tactics and plays .... i say maybe because i never heard a short white guy who is a coach to a bunch of tall black guys say "someone who played lots of basketball at the highest levels outside of pro"
that being said playing at the highest level of hockey has nothing to do with marketing growth or business ..
no offense i hear that 1000s of times and i dispute the fact anyone has to play competitive hockey to scout coach draw up plays schemes market....... judge play judge teams etc etc ....if i left out anything include that also
Stating my opinion most of these guys who are over 40 playing so called competitive hockey do it so they can pretend to be a tough guy...
again no offense

Old
06-14-2017, 11:46 PM
AlphaLackey

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
that is a touchy subject

if you break down diversity by skin colour I see the point--but if breakdown by country it is diverse
If you break down diversity by *specifically non-white skin colour* such that a 70% African-American population would be diverse but a 70% Caucasian population would not be diverse, then of course is not "Alternative Definition #1 diverse" and never will be. And if you're going to vilify a sport played predominantly in Canada and Russia and numerous Scandinavian countries for being too white, you might as well stop watching it right now and save yourself the headache.

However, I WILL say that the refereeing in the Cup Finals this year was especially diverse -- as in, "di more dey worked, di verse dey got".

AlphaLackey is offline   Reply With Quote