HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Notes From Last Nights Game

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 06:37 AM
rpontbriand

vCash: 500
Notes From Last Nights Game

I was lucky enough to have tickets on the glass last night so I had a nice view of what was going on.

Blake: Best game in a long time for this guy. You cant appreciate how hard Rob hits unless you are at ice level. Yikes this guy had a sick game. The last play of the game says it all for him.

Skrastins: Solid, reliable, and makes no mistakes. Very under rated in my mind.

Nikko: See Skrastins

Morris: Best game this year. Needs to mix it up to play better. Still making occasional errors clearing the puck out of his end.

Skoula: Very talented but thinks way to much. He needs a change of scenery.

Sakic: Not skating well at all. This must be due to two new wingers that he has. Its hard to get the "moe" going when you dont know what your wingers will do next. Due to this he is very hesitant.

McCormick: Has a ton of talent and skill and is HUGE! One hell of a fighter as well. Once he establishes himself in the NHL, by being a tough guy, he may have the potential of being a JR. Cam Neely.

There was plenty of other stuff going on with other players but these guys stood out the most.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:03 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand
McCormick: Has a ton of talent and skill and is HUGE! One hell of a fighter as well. Once he establishes himself in the NHL, by being a tough guy, he may have the potential of being a JR. Cam Neely.
Paging DarioinDenver

Old
10-29-2003, 08:49 AM
avfan#21

McCormick's fight with Clark was a classic.

Clark: "Don't you touch our top player, Let's get it on"
McCormick: "ok"
THUMP
Clarks pickin his ass off the ice.

Cody really impressed me as a player last nite. I hope he doesn't have to become a goon of any sort but man he held in there with a legit elite powerforward in Iginla and a physical winger in Clark and pretty much toppled them both. Certainly no less than a draw with Jarome.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Cody really impressed me as a player last nite. I hope he doesn't have to become a goon of any sort but man he held in there with a legit elite powerforward in Iginla and a physical winger in Clark and pretty much toppled them both. Certainly no less than a draw with Jarome.
It's nice to have a player with some skill who can, if needed, play with one of the top lines and take care of the nastier business like Cody did last night. I don't imagine him logging too much time with guys like Sakic or Kariya, but it's nice to know he can if needed.

I was surprised at how feisty the Avs were last night; it was fun to watch, and against a team like Calgary it didn't really come back to hurt us as far as penalties go. The officials were calling it pretty loose anyway. Hopefully guys like Moore and Cummins and Brigley can at least bring that sort of energy when they are called upon, it might become infectious. Ideally, when healthy, we'd have 2 lines of world class players and 2 more lines of guys you hate to play against. That's one of the things the Wings have used to their advantage for years, and it seems like it could be the case here. I'd love to see Kono, Niko and Cody or Hinote up against the McCarty, Draper and Maltby line.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:52 AM
DarioinDenver

I think some are getting the wrong impression about McCormick, not here mind you but other Lapp beloved circles of Avalanche nation.

McCormick really isn't a fighter per se. He's a player that finishes his checks on every single shift, no matter what the situation is. Futhermore, he's like some guys we all have known in life he just doesn't put up with posturing. He's just as likely to lay a big hit on you and just skate the other way. But if a player slashes, talks some trash he'll simply turn around and take care of business. A lot of NHLers get uppity when a rookie dares to check them, and McCormick simply isn't intimidated by such things.

A few things people may not know about Cody that aren't really all that well known. Cody is a native North American. He played under Ted Nolan under team Indigenous. Leadership runs a bit in his family as his father is the GRAND chielf of the Iroquois and Allied Indians in Canada. He's of Chippewa heritage and his mother and obviously his father are very active in leading their tribe.

Hockey wise all you need to know about McCormick is that he's one of the hardest working skaters coming out of the OHL and is rated as one of the best body checkers. Add to that his ability to score, his no BS attitude with other players and you have a gamer. He's no better than a 4th or possibly 3rd line player right now but in a couple of years hopefully he'll get to show how he can center a line and provide some leadership. He was an absolutely crucial signing from the '01 class.

How's that Lapp?

Old
10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Belgian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
How's that Lapp?
Somehow I have a feeling this wasn't exactly what Lapp was expecting

Old
10-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I think some are getting the wrong impression about McCormick, not here mind you but other Lapp beloved circles of Avalanche nation.

McCormick really isn't a fighter per se. He's a player that finishes his checks on every single shift, no matter what the situation is. Futhermore, he's like some guys we all have known in life he just doesn't put up with posturing. He's just as likely to lay a big hit on you and just skate the other way. But if a player slashes, talks some trash he'll simply turn around and take care of business. A lot of NHLers get uppity when a rookie dares to check them, and McCormick simply isn't intimidated by such things.

A few things people may not know about Cody that aren't really all that well known. Cody is a native North American. He played under Ted Nolan under team Indigenous. Leadership runs a bit in his family as his father is the GRAND chielf of the Iroquois and Allied Indians in Canada. He's of Chippewa heritage and his mother and obviously his father are very active in leading their tribe.

Hockey wise all you need to know about McCormick is that he's one of the hardest working skaters coming out of the OHL and is rated as one of the best body checkers. Add to that his ability to score, his no BS attitude with other players and you have a gamer. He's no better than a 4th or possibly 3rd line player right now but in a couple of years hopefully he'll get to show how he can center a line and provide some leadership. He was an absolutely crucial signing from the '01 class.

How's that Lapp?
That's fine and dandy (I was already aware of the Team Indigenous relation actually; came across it when looking for info on McCormick for rookie camp in 2002) and I don't disagree. Knowing how much you like McCormick, I felt you would be better served to correct the suggestion that he will establish himself as a "tough guy" in the league. He will fight, but he's not going to be an enforcer nor will that be his role. And I really struggle to see McCormick comparing to Neely. That was the other area I really found a little overboard in the original quote. Glad I could serve up a nice opportunity for you to talk about McCormick too.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Frozen Testicle

vCash:
McCormick is a good fighter, however he should have been thrown out of the game and suspended for jumping on Iginla's head while he was down. Av's were lucky to come out with a win thanks for the most part to some terrible bush league refereeing. Rob Blake had an awesome game but the rest of the Av's didn't play too well.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:57 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Testicle
McCormick is a good fighter, however he should have been thrown out of the game and suspended for jumping on Iginla's head while he was down. Av's were lucky to come out with a win thanks for the most part to some terrible bush league refereeing. Rob Blake had an awesome game but the rest of the Av's didn't play too well.
It's always nice to hear the enlightened opinions of the exonerated Frozen Testicle.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
It's always nice to hear the enlightened opinions of the exonerated Frozen Testicle.
What about the other testicle? Is it cold, lukewarm, or hot? How can you have one frozen and the other not? Or is this the dreaded solo testicle affliction?

Old
10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
avfan#21

"thrown out of the game and suspended"

From the looks of this, I'd suggest that perhaps the other hasn't dropped yet.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:32 AM
rpontbriand

I grew up in Boston and know alot about Cam. There will never be another Cam period! Thats why I said Cam Jr. Maybe a Iginla Jr comment would have been more appropriate?

Old
10-29-2003, 11:45 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
That's fine and dandy (I was already aware of the Team Indigenous relation actually; came across it when looking for info on McCormick for rookie camp in 2002) and I don't disagree. Knowing how much you like McCormick, I felt you would be better served to correct the suggestion that he will establish himself as a "tough guy" in the league. He will fight, but he's not going to be an enforcer nor will that be his role. And I really struggle to see McCormick comparing to Neely. That was the other area I really found a little overboard in the original quote. Glad I could serve up a nice opportunity for you to talk about McCormick too.

Thanks for the assist, it's no secret I'm big on McCormick. As I said he's a great 4th, maybe 3rd line guy right now that we haven't seen play his natural center position. He has a lot to prove at the NHL level and will have plenty of time to do it. He's no enforcer but knows how to take care of himself.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Frozen Testicle

vCash:
Oh no! Not insults about the name I willingfully gave myself as a joke!! Don't be sour I'm just telling the truth as an unbiased viewer.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
What about the other testicle? Is it cold, lukewarm, or hot? How can you have one frozen and the other not? Or is this the dreaded solo testicle affliction?
I was kind of picturing a large, disembodied testicle that's it's own sentient being. But that's kind of gross. Unless you picture it as a Simpsons/Futurama cartoon style testicle. Then it's funny.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Oh no! Not insults about the name I willingfully gave myself as a joke!! Don't be sour I'm just telling the truth as an unbiased viewer.
Well, honestly I think I'm more suspect of someone who willfully gave themself that name than someone who merely acquired it for whatever ungodly reason.

Anyway, you said the Avs were lucky to win and that Blake was the only Av to play well, and that officiating played a part. The officiating was not very good, but at least it was consistently loose -- they weren't calling much of anything. The high stick on Forsberg may have very well been from a teammate, it was hard to tell even on replay. The high stick to Hinote's face was missed, and I think that's why they let him push Lydman to the ice right after, so that was even. When Lydman later held Forsberg, and Forsberg held back, they both went off. I didn't see a distinct advantage for either team, just some getting away with things you often see called. Aebischer played really well. The Avs grinders played really well. Forsberg had a solid game and a gorgeous assist on the first goal. McCormick was a disruptive force all night, and he didn't do anything to warrant being tossed. Iginla should know better than to start a fight with a visor, so he either forgot or just didn't care. I don't see how anyone watching the game thought the Avs got lucky. They didn't play fantastically the entire game, but they made their own breaks and did what it took to win. Hey, I sound like a postgame interview!

Old
10-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Great game by the Avs, hard hitting and fast-paced. The 4th line looked great out there. A few lapses at the start of the 2nd and 3rd periods led to those two Gelinas goals, but a decent effort nonetheless.

As was mentioned earlier, Blake was a madman out there. His bonecrushing hit and subsequent goal was astounding. Morris stepped it up on both ends of the ice. Skoula continues to look lost. Skrastins continues to make me forget about that one defenseman we had last year...wasn't his name Dvorak or something? :p

Now I'm getting a little concerned about Sakic. To see him not produce offensively is understandable to a point, but I was appalled to see him play bad DEFENSIVELY. He doesn't have the "inferior linemate" excuse there. Joe's defensive game used to be flawless--now I see him desperately hanging onto the opposition's forwards and unable to contain even the worst skaters on any given opponent's team. His two holding penalties were the result of him not able to keep up. There is something wrong with Burnaby Joe. SERIOUSLY wrong.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
The reffing was non-bias in that it was terrible both ways. I fail to see why McCormick should get thrown out and suspended for taking down a much larger Iginla in a fight???? I think giving Iginla a doubl-minor was too much, but a minor for instigating is fin in my book. If you want to complaing about officiating, then how about the Flames first goal coming directly off of a dive???

Bad both ways .

Old
10-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand
I grew up in Boston and know alot about Cam. There will never be another Cam period! Thats why I said Cam Jr. Maybe a Iginla Jr comment would have been more appropriate?
I think I'll wait to make player comparisons until McCormick gets better offensive opportunities to show what he can do. I'd say it's way too premature to start comparing him to Neely or Iginla. He could be like Mike Knuble and have untapped offensive potential for years. Way too early to guess IMO, especially when McCormick is seeing 4th line minutes for the most part.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Laperriere22*

Let's dissect this shall we?

Quote:
Not insults about the name I willingfully gave myself as a joke!!
Correct, they were not insults; wisecracks aren't necessarily insults.

Quote:
Don't be sour
No one was being sour.

Quote:
I'm just telling the truth
Your "truth" leaves a lot to be desired. The word you're apparently searching for is "opinion", not "truth".

Quote:
as an unbiased viewer.
There was nothing in that play to justify McCormick getting a game misconduct and a suspension. Posts like your first one in this thread only make me look good. That I thank you for. I need all the positive press I can get; so, please bring your friends, frostbitten scrotum and frigid taint, to make me look even better.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Posts like your first one in this thread only make me look good. That I thank you for. I need all the positive press I can get; so, please bring your friends, frostbitten scrotum and frigid taint, to make me look even better.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Let's dissect this shall we?
Why should we dissect a frozen testicle??

Old
10-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Why should we dissect a frozen testicle??
Would you rather warm it on your tongue?

Old
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Would you rather warm it on your tongue?

Old
10-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
What? What I'd say?

Closed Thread