HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Eve of mayhem, gossip and things that go bump

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Zaddy Zads

vCash: 500
Hjalmarsson would be a fantastic add. Not sure what they'd want from us though. Him only having 2 years left on his deal makes it feel pretty iffy for a team that's only just beginning to contend. Then again, next year could be our best chance at chasing a Cup with McDavid still being on his ELC. Our top4 with Sekera healthy would be true Cup caliber:

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hjalmarsson

You could probably play Nurse in that 2nd pairing role with Hjalmarsson until Sekera is back. His veteran presence would really help Nurse's game I think. That way we wouldn't have to commit to Russell either, which is nice. Man...now I really want Hjalmarsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I would be very surprised if the Oilers were on Hjalmarsson's trade list. Don't think he would waive for here.
I think he would definitely consider being moved here. Having Klefbom and Larsson probably helps a lot. And our little playoff run this year probably helped a lot too, as it showed we're very capable of winning a Cup in the near future. Then there's McDavid of course...

Old
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
I don't usually buy in to plus minus as a stat, but when the Pesce/Slavin pairing is both +23 and Faulk is -18, I seriously question his defensive abilities. My eyes tell me he's poor defensively and the numbers back it up.
I agree here. Numbers show hes pretty poor defensively and Ive never seen him as good defensively when I watch him

Id asl agree JP + RNH is too much. Either player plus 1st tho id do. 22nd in a weaker draft doesnt hold all that much value

Old
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 50
I don't think Chicago wants to deal one of their better defensemen to us. They'd just as soon send him out East.

Old
06-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Weitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Normally I would agree, and yet it may be comforting to land somewhere where he has two fellow Swedes with which to work on defense. Plus, as we learned last off-season, the McDavid factor exists.
Still the second most common team on No trade lists as of this year.

I am sure it is not a quick turnaround in that regard.

Old
06-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Jet Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
I don't usually buy in to plus minus as a stat, but when the Pesce/Slavin pairing is both +23 and Faulk is -18, I seriously question his defensive abilities. My eyes tell me he's poor defensively and the numbers back it up.
Well,Duh! That's why we're getting the defensive beast Hjarmalsson to pair with him.

Old
06-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by x GreatKeith View Post
I don't think Chicago wants to deal one of their better defensemen to us. They'd just as soon send him out East.
Why would we want to help them out as well? Let them be screwed.

Nurse + pick would be what I consider more than a fair option. Nurse is draft exempt and an actual NHL D that can help out now

I have a feeling people will be shocked by what Hjmarlsson returns, and not in a good way

Old
06-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:

Id be interested in how thats tracked. NMCs dont get updated yearly IIRC. So a player could have had Edmonton on their no trade list from prior years and those lists just arent updated. Even tho if a team asked that player for an updated list Edmonton probably wouldnt be on it

Old
06-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Weitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Id be interested in how thats tracked. NMCs dont get updated yearly IIRC. So a player could have had Edmonton on their no trade list from prior years and those lists just arent updated. Even tho if a team asked that player for an updated list Edmonton probably wouldnt be on it
Guys with No Trade lists almost always have to submit at the beginning of the year.

ESPN does a survey every year of which is the most common places.

Winnipeg was #1 this year, Edmonton was #2.

Generally though its the lessor successful teams on the list plus Canadian teams.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:11 PM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Guys with No Trade lists almost always have to submit at the beginning of the year.

Generally though its the lessor successful teams on the list plus Canadian teams.
This is exactly why I feel like the Oilers are not a "Must go" destination. Not until they win a Cup.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:

if those lists are submitted at the beginning of the year as you suggest, then that's hardly a surprise as the Oilers coming into this season were still coming off a 29th place finish and huge questions about Klefbom's effectiveness after that nasty infection, as well as how McDavid would produce in his sophmore season.

With both the Oilers and McDavid breaking the 100 point barrier and nearly making it to the Conference finals, I would expect that coming into this summer that they won't be destination Pariah that they've been painted as previously.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!

Quote:

The Oilers were once again at the bottom of the league when those lists were composed. The team's situation is significantly different almost a year later.

Nonetheless, I doubt Hjalmarsson is moved because of his value to the Blackhawks defense. Maybe they look at dealing a core forward like Panarin first?

Old
06-12-2017, 12:20 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
This is exactly why I feel like the Oilers are not a "Must go" destination. Not until they win a Cup.
We still managed to land arguably the top UFA on the market two years in a row, both saying they had bigger offers elsewhere. It's not like we're some leper colony either.

But I also think that the "no-trade" lists would tell a different story next year.

06-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Spawn

Quote:
There is no "must go" destination outside of maybe Chicago and maybe New York (Rangers) for different reasons.

There is more than enough of a pool of players willing to play here (either via trade or free agency) for the Oilers to ice an elite team. Just need to hope Chiarelli is the right guy to bring in the right players.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:24 PM
LMFAO

How much you guys think Bonino is getting on the FA market this summer?

I think around 3.5M for 4 years...would you sign him at that price?

Old
06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Like post said above, Edmonton will never be a must go place no matter the success because the city itself is not world class. Ala Chicago or New York

I dont think we should be all that concerned we are on players no trade lists because typically NMCs are given to older players. From what I see league wide, players with NMCs are more likely to be anchors then not.

We should be concerned with free agents tho. If you are desirable for Free agents you can sign them cheaper or get the Euro/ college free agents. We got Sekera/Lucic as well as Cagguila in recent years. Also in contention for Rutta and Stetcher (last year). Id say thats encourgaing. Cagguila should be a signal for players wanting to come here since hes an Eastern Canadian kid and had Chicago/Philly/New York and Vancouver gunning hard for him and chose here, even with decently strong wing depth

Old
06-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post

If we were moving RNH out for a d-man, maybe? Otherwise I'd pass.

Honestly though, Bonino is the type of player that we need to acquire before they hit free agency and cash in on their big contract. Either draft them or identify them when they're buried on some other teams depth chart. We're approaching a point where we need to stop handing out multi year multi million dollar deals to mid tier players. Even good mid teir players.

Old
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post

Stay away from free agents from cup winning teams, more times than not they are overvalued

Old
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
We still managed to land arguably the top UFA on the market two years in a row, both saying they had bigger offers elsewhere. It's not like we're some leper colony either.

But I also think that the "no-trade" lists would tell a different story next year.
We did but neither signed at what I would consider to be a discount. When Chicago can sign guys like Campbell for 1.5m... That's where I want the Oilers to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
There is no "must go" destination outside of maybe Chicago and maybe New York (Rangers) for different reasons.

There is more than enough of a pool of players willing to play here (either via trade or free agency) for the Oilers to ice an elite team. Just need to hope Chiarelli is the right guy to bring in the right players.
I would argue most of the big markets are the must go ones. The ones you mentioned, Pittsburgh, LA, Washington....

Old
06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Weitz

Quote:
Stay away from free agents from cup winning teams, more times than not they are overvalued
Agreed with this. You will be paying him more than you should be.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:35 PM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Like post said above, Edmonton will never be a must go place no matter the success because the city itself is not world class. Ala Chicago or New York

I dont think we should be all that concerned we are on players no trade lists because typically NMCs are given to older players. From what I see league wide, players with NMCs are more likely to be anchors then not.

We should be concerned with free agents tho. If you are desirable for Free agents you can sign them cheaper or get the Euro/ college free agents. We got Sekera/Lucic as well as Cagguila in recent years. Also in contention for Rutta and Stetcher (last year). Id say thats encourgaing. Cagguila should be a signal for players wanting to come here since hes an Eastern Canadian kid and had Chicago/Philly/New York and Vancouver gunning hard for him and chose here, even with decently strong wing depth
Unfortunately except in rare cases the UFA crop will never have elite players. Look no further than Jeff Carter. There's no way the Kings win 2 Cups without him and they got him in a trade. The Oilers have no more than 2 elite players in their roster and they need at least 1 or 2 more to really go the extra mile in the playoffs.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
MessierII

Quote:

At the beggining of this year we were coming off a 29th place finish.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:38 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Unfortunately except in rare cases the UFA crop will never have elite players. Look no further than Jeff Carter. There's no way the Kings win 2 Cups without him and they got him in a trade. The Oilers have no more than 2 elite players in their roster and they need at least 1 or 2 more to really go the extra mile in the playoffs.
Mcdavid, Talbot, Draisaitl were all pretty elite this year with Klefbom and Larsson both knocking on the door. I think the core is fine we just need a couple more complimentary pieces.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
VainGretzky
Obnoxious Oil Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
At the beggining of this year we were coming off a 29th place finish.
Also that was from agents and Edmonton was on many lists for no movement and I highly doubt that players around the league feel the same about the Oilers now.

Old
06-12-2017, 12:46 PM
CantHaveTkachev
no joke of a team

vCash: 117
No matter how many Cups we win, Edmonton will never be a destination for some players due to location and city-status

that's just reality

luckily, Cup winning teams never win on the strength of UFAs or trades...the core is always drafted and developed by the tean

UFAs and good trades supplement teams but you don't build with them

Old
06-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Hemsky4PM

We could definitely use an upgrade on defense still.

As for Bonino, I'd rather go after Jarnkrok - better contract.

Bonino for me is a guy you add for 3M max, and 4 years max. Would rather go with someone like Jarnkrok who's signed long term at a very nice 2M AAV.

Closed Thread