17-18 Bruins/NHL Summertime Talk

Old
06-13-2017, 08:53 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
I don't know if he's even less dirty than Marchand at this point in his career. Just in the past two months: Crosby nearly took off a guy's finger with a vicious slash (pain was so bad Methot couldn't sleep for over a week), speared a guy in the nuts, pounded a guy's head into the ice repeatedly, and threw a water bottle onto the ice during the course of play. Of course look what the consequences were for all of that -- nothing. If Marchand or anyone else in the league pulled all of that stuff the goat ******* on NBC would be talking about what horrible guys they are and the NHL likely would have implemented supplemental discipline at some point. Crosby is indeed a great player with a ridiculous number of accomplishments, but he is also a whiny dirty SOB. The NHL and NBC have an interest to ignore that part of his game and promote him as St. Sidney, but anyone with half a brain can see what a puke the guy is on the ice. Seems like a great dude off the ice btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
**** the Penguins. Anyone who feels good for them should seek professional help. Their fans are front runners, their captain is a whiny dirtbag and their owner is the most overrated player in NHL history who employed Matt Cooke while crying about his own players taking a beating. They suck.
These two gentlemen have summed up my opinion with 100% accuracy.

BMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Pittsburgh model is pick

1 Fleury
2 Malkin
1 Crosby
2 Staal

In a 4 year period

I'm sure Bruins posters here could wait the suckage out

Bwhahahaha
So true.

Pitt tanked for generational talent, not saying it was illegal, but damn it makes me hate them even more. I swear if they could have tanked for McDavid they would have.

They will tank again in the next five years when the miles pile up on Crosby and we all know it.

Second Mario has been a key player in ushering today's playing style and how the refs call the game which means you can take a team of 2-3 superstars and win in the playoffs.

Remember his comments when the Bruins swept the Pens out of the 2011 playoffs? They next season, the Bruins model for winning was severely hampered as the NHL started calling Bruins games like a bantam house game.

I just hate the Pens, plain and simple. Stole the Bruins colors, Ulf Samuleson, Matt Cooke, Crosby, screw them...

06-13-2017, 09:51 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Just gotta get the high-end skill and the kids part now. Marchand and Pastrnak are nice and all, but Crosby and Malkin they are not, right? I get what you are saying though and I also think they are hoping they can develop a Sheery or two to go with their top 3-4 players, but I hope they realize that the top 3-4 guys aren't quite good enough to think the kids can just fill around them. Krejci is fading/has faded, so he's hanging onto that 4th position at this point. They need more talent and experience to balance things out. Surely the Backes signing was aimed at that, but he's probably a third line player now (that was fast). IMO they need another guy to fill out the top 6 who can put up 60+ points.
marchand and pasta are better than their wings, but our centers don't measure up. I'm also figuring on a Lando deal. So my thought process, again, not comparing the players so to speak, just the roster makeup.

You have the core

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Kunitz, Hornqvist and Hagelin

Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Pasta, Lando, Marchand

You have the kids

Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Wilson and Kuhnhackl

Bjork, Heinen, JFK, Kuraly and Accairi (DeBrusk in Lando deal)

You have the vets

Cullen, Bonino

Moore, Nash, Beleksey

obviously we would all be thrilled for three of our kids to turn into the Pens three kids, but the layout is similar I think. It's what neely has spoken about a lot about have entry level deals scattered in the forward ranks.

RetiredWBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 10:13 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
marchand and pasta are better than their wings, but our centers don't measure up. I'm also figuring on a Lando deal. So my thought process, again, not comparing the players so to speak, just the roster makeup.

You have the core

You have the kids

You have the vets

Cullen, Bonino

Moore, Nash, Beleksey

obviously we would all be thrilled for three of our kids to turn into the Pens three kids, but the layout is similar I think. It's what neely has spoken about a lot about have entry level deals scattered in the forward ranks.
Yeah I agree completely. I think what I like most about Sweeney has been how aggressive he's been about putting kids into the lineup with cheap deals instead of adding older pieces to fill out the ranks. Together with player development that's his greatest skill, IMO.

It's just the issue is that teams like Pitt win because they also pull off a Kessel trade, or a Bonino trade. Rutherford is aggressive when he has to be and he fills holes with decent vets. Sweeney has failed to fill a few and he's missed almost every swing he's taken. We don't need to rehash that. So again I'm looking for him to WIN a trade for a bona fide, current NHL player. It would seem this summer is his best chance yet to do so. Top 4 D or top 6W. Get it done.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:19 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Just gotta get the high-end skill and the kids part now. Marchand and Pastrnak are nice and all, but Crosby and Malkin they are not, right? I get what you are saying though and I also think they are hoping they can develop a Sheery or two to go with their top 3-4 players, but I hope they realize that the top 3-4 guys aren't quite good enough to think the kids can just fill around them. Krejci is fading/has faded, so he's hanging onto that 4th position at this point. They need more talent and experience to balance things out. Surely the Backes signing was aimed at that, but he's probably a third line player now (that was fast). IMO they need another guy to fill out the top 6 who can put up 60+ points.
Backes was the 36th highest scoring RW(32nd at ES) in the league last year, his 1st year with a different team for the 1st time in 9 years, while playing physical with a good two way game.

In what way is that a 3rd liner?

Because that looks like a upper/middle of the pack 2nd line guy to me.

bearcountry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

The Bruins are going to have 5 forwards making 6 million or more after Pasta signs. Thats a shade over 50% of the teams salary cap invested in those 5 players, 4 of whom are 30+ next season.

The Bruins are now in a tight window, the destiny of which relies on a whole hoop of young D developing lightning fast...

Baddkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:02 PM
ashnathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post

You have the core

You have the kids

You have the vets

Cullen, Bonino

Moore, Nash, Beleksey

I dunno if I'd consider Hagelin a part of their core? To me he was a luxury but now hes not really even that (production drop) and they dodged a bullet with Despres and got him in hindsight for nothing. They got super lucky,

ashnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 07:50 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I can't imbed a YouTube video to save my life.

Someone feel free to fix this. I'll just provide the link.

Perhaps his best episode yet.

https://youtu.be/1_KPkLbLpXs

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Aeroforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I can't imbed a YouTube video to save my life.

Someone feel free to fix this. I'll just provide the link.

Perhaps his best episode yet.

https://youtu.be/1_KPkLbLpXs

Aeroforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:39 AM
ashnathan

oh ma gawwwwd Patty Kane is apparently available (*************** on twitter, has NHL sources and doesnt float ****)

Buffalo/NJ/Canes have all called Hawks. Strange group of teams though (can see why Buffalo called though)

"Number 1 pick and other assets for Kane, discussions at the moment nothing close"

Can you imagine Kane not being in Chicago? I for one can't.

ashnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 05:01 AM
Estlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnathan View Post
oh ma gawwwwd Patty Kane is apparently available (*************** on twitter, has NHL sources and doesnt float ****)

Buffalo/NJ/Canes have all called Hawks. Strange group of teams though (can see why Buffalo called though)

"Number 1 pick and other assets for Kane, discussions at the moment nothing close"

Can you imagine Kane not being in Chicago? I for one can't.

That's just too crazy to think of, but something will have to give in Chicago sooner or later.

Last edited by Gee Wally: 06-14-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Not a reputable site. So much so he's banned from HF
Estlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 05:07 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Get it done, Sweeney.

Throw in a couple of the Celtics' picks if need be.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Terrier

Today's Herald has a story on ex-Maine Black Bear Mike Dunham, who was the Predators' first goaltender in 1998.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/g...f_course_makes

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4688850
Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin in exchange for Mikhail Sergachev

Quote:
The Canadiens announced Thursday afternoon that they have acquired left-winger Jonathan Drouin and a conditional sixth-round pick at the 2018 NHL Draft from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for defenceman Mikhail Sergachev and a conditional second-round pick in 2018.

Sergachev, the Canadiensí first-round pick (ninth overall) at last yearís NHL draft, was pointless in four games with the Canadiens this season and posted 10-33-43 totals in 50 regular-season games with the OHLís Windsor Spitfires before helping them win the Memorial Cup.

Drouin, who is from Ste-Agathe, was the third overall pick by the Lightning at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and posted 21-32-53 totals in 73 games this season with Tampa. In 164 career regular-season games with the Lightning, the 5-foot-11, 188-pound Drouin has 29-66-95 totals.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin announced during an afternoon news conference at the Bell Centre that Drouin has signed a six-year contract extension with the team that kicks in for the 2017-18 season. CapFriendly.com reported the six-year deal is worth US$33 million with an average of $5.5 million per season. Drouin has one year left on the deal he signed with the Lightning. The new deal runs through the 2022-23 season.

Last edited by Fenway: 06-15-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Aeroforce

The Habs traded a prime defensive prospect for a forward. Who's their coach again?

I'm not nearly as well-versed in prospects as others, but I knew the Habs' had high hopes for Sergachev. He's probably still at least a couple of years away, and I remember reading after the Subban/Weber trade that the window for the Habs is 'now.'

So this makes them better 'now' and I'm sure other moves are coming.

Aeroforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

2 big trades in two years. Drouin will be a pain in the Bruins butts for sure...

Baddkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:42 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Clode

I like Drouin, but if TB got Sergachev, they were asking for either Carlo or McAvoy from Boston and that's a non-starter for me.

My son had a hockey lesson and one of the other Dad's likes MTL and he didn't like the move, particularly when you look at the coach they just signed to a long term deal. With Clode in charge, it would seem that a guy like Landeskog (even Duchene) would have been a better fit?

And then to turn around and sign him to a 6 yr/$33m deal? I would have tried for a bridge deal similar to the ones guys like Johansen and Marchand signed before I committed to six years.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 06:43 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Clode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
2 big trades in two years. Drouin will be a pain in the Bruins butts for sure...
Maybe, maybe not?

He was surrounded with a lot more firepower in Tampa.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 09:48 PM
bruins repeat time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkh View Post
i did a 10 year study on points playoffs draft from 2008-2017 and the bruins

1. Were 1 of only 3 teams to have 90 points every year

2. Had 5 100 point seasons (prorated 106 2013) top 5

3. One of three teams who won a cup and won a presidents trophy in separate years and also went to multiple finals

they also did not have the luxury of

chicago- sucking and getting kane 1 & toews 3

pittsburgh- in a four year period going
2003- fleury 1
2004 - malkin 2
2005- crosby 1
2006- staal 2

washington

ovechkin 1 backstom 4 alzner 5

boston aggregate pre draft rookie pick value was in the 20's which suck to build but they got marchand lucic krejci bergeron none before 45

what a bunch a whiny entitled babies you guys are

you don't deserve this team
x 1,000,000

bruins repeat time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 10:02 PM
JAD

Looks like it could be a good deal for Tampa, less impressed with Montreal's take. Does Drouin backcheck and have the defensive awareness to make CJ happy?
I guess time will tell how the fits are for each team.

JAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 10:35 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
I think Drouin/Montreal wins that trade very easily, even if I wouldn't have offered McAvoy.

Drouin still has incredibly high offense potential and gives Montreal an actual threat.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:47 AM
NSBruinFan

I think the Habs will regret this trade in a few years. Their D-men are pretty old. That being said, I have a feeling Drouin is going to be a royal pain for the Bruins.

NSBruinFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Hali33

I think it's a pretty fair deal for both sides.

Wasn't cheap for the Habs obviously but they are desperate for firepower and this will help.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:30 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Have to give HUGE props to Yzerman. He broke Drouin. Dude had a decent to good year last year to get his value back, and just when it's time to get paid, he ships him off for a potential first pair guy in Sergachev and now gets to protect Killorn/Palat. Add that with somehow getting Philly to take Filipula at the deadline. Added Cernak and a TOR 2nd at the deadline as well. I love this guy as a GM.

RetiredWBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Buffalo Sabres hire Phil Housley as head coach

BUFFALO, N.Y. ó Phil Housley began his Hall of Fame playing career in Buffalo. It is also where he will open his NHL head-coaching career after being hired by the Sabres on Thursday.

Housley's hiring completes an offseason overhaul for the Sabres in replacing coach Dan Bylsma, who was fired along with general manager Tim Murray in April. He represents the first significant move made by first-time general manager Jason Botterill, who took over the job last month.

Housley takes over a team that stagnated under Murray in extended its franchise-worst playoff drought to six seasons. With a 33-37-12 record, Buffalo finished last in the Atlantic Division, 26th overall, and with two fewer wins than last season.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/...ach/ar-BBCJOT5

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote