HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Expansion Watch: Pickard selected (Updated Rumored Selections on post #435)

View Poll Results: Who will Vegas select from the Avs?
Pickard 69 57.50%
Nieto 5 4.17%
Andrighetto 4 3.33%
Barberio 7 5.83%
Comeau 8 6.67%
Soderberg 8 6.67%
Colborne 4 3.33%
Grigorenko 10 8.33%
Grimaldi 4 3.33%
Other 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2017, 04:27 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
So the deadline to ask a NMC to be waived has come and gone. I'm not taking silence as no action but...

Old
06-12-2017, 04:27 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

vCash: 500
Calgary is fine... it just isn't equivalent to the top ~20-30 US cities. Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver are the only cities in Canada that really compete with the LA, SF, NYC, Miami, etc of the US.

FTR my favorite place in Canada is Quebec City, but I do understand it just isn't a world class city.

Old
06-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Fingers crossed on Beauchemin waving by 5pm tomorrow. My hopes aren't high though.

Oh, he'll be waiving. As in waiving "hello, I'm still here motha******!"

Old
06-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Ceremony
It was dawn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Calgary, who will likely have Smith as their starter.

There's always someone worse off than yourself.

06-12-2017, 04:54 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Calgary's a great city actually. There's a reason it was ranked top 5 most livable city in the world. Good job market and economy, weather is pretty balanced, close to the mountains, an hour from the best national park in Canada, traffic is pretty light, and ranked as the cleanest city in the world. There aren't too many other cities in the world I would rather live in.

Old
06-12-2017, 04:58 PM
lonelybadger

Calgary is the Nashville of Canada!

I thought I heard rumors of him having a choice of Calgary at the TDL or nmc waiving.

Old
06-12-2017, 05:00 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Calgary's a great city actually. There's a reason it was ranked top 5 most livable city in the world. Good job market and economy, weather is pretty balanced, close to the mountains, an hour from the best national park in Canada, traffic is pretty light, and ranked as the cleanest city in the world. There aren't too many other cities in the world I would rather live in.
I've seen so many of those lists, and they vary so wildly depending on who is paying them or what agenda they want to push. There is nothing really wrong with Calgary... it is just a city that is at best on Denver's level (I'd argue a good chunk below personally), and Denver isn't even a top 15 city in the US. I'd live in Denver far before I lived in Chicago, but that doesn't make Denver better.

Old
06-12-2017, 09:35 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
So the deadline to ask a NMC to be waived has come and gone. I'm not taking silence as no action but...
Not disagreeing with you, but we literally have no reporters left to ask questions, while Avs have the right to not report anything. I wish they were more open with the fans and maybe a twitter response would have sufficed. But with a half drunken ******** monkey who cares more for the NCAA instead of the team he actually covers, don't expect quality work.

Old
06-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but we literally have no reporters left to ask questions, while Avs have the right to not report anything. I wish they were more open with the fans and maybe a twitter response would have sufficed. But with a half drunken ******** monkey who cares more for the NCAA instead of the team he actually covers, don't expect quality work.
If Dater doesn't ask them, no one will.

Old
06-12-2017, 09:42 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
I've seen so many of those lists, and they vary so wildly depending on who is paying them or what agenda they want to push. There is nothing really wrong with Calgary... it is just a city that is at best on Denver's level (I'd argue a good chunk below personally), and Denver isn't even a top 15 city in the US. I'd live in Denver far before I lived in Chicago, but that doesn't make Denver better.
They do say that Calgary is Denver junior so i can how they're at the same level. However Aside from having a beach in not sure what makes other cities more attractive.

Old
06-12-2017, 10:13 PM
returnofthemack29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
They do say that Calgary is Denver junior so i can how they're at the same level. However Aside from having a beach in not sure what makes other cities more attractive.
I've been to Calgary a lot of times. It's one of the biggest piece of **** cities I've ever been to. People who live there are so overly pompous that they think that they live in heaven 2.0, but in reality it's a hicktown full of complete hicks. Comparing Denver to Calgary is like comparing gold to bird ****.

Old
06-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Fallin for Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack29 View Post
I've been to Calgary a lot of times. It's one of the biggest piece of **** cities I've ever been to. People who live there are so overly pompous that they think that they live in heaven 2.0, but in reality it's a hicktown full of complete hicks. Comparing Denver to Calgary is like comparing gold to bird ****.
Agree with the first bolded.

Disagree with the second bolded.

Denver is certainly nicer IMO.

As for the topic It's a shame Beauchemin appears to not have been asked to waive his NMC, would rather have prefered to keep say Nieto, Andrighetto and Grigorenko even if none of them amount to much of anything.

Old
06-12-2017, 10:38 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2myBordyloo View Post
Agree with the first bolded.

Disagree with the second bolded.

Denver is certainly nicer IMO.

As for the topic It's a shame Beauchemin appears to not have been asked to waive his NMC, would rather have prefered to keep say Nieto, Andrighetto and Grigorenko even if none of them amount to much of anything.
Still some hope for a buyout.

Old
06-13-2017, 02:06 AM
dahrougem2

Let's be honest, this organization probably has too much respect for Beauchemin to even ask him to waive

Old
06-13-2017, 08:42 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I really don't see the need to waive or buyout personally. If he waives, that would be great, but not necessary. Wait until after the expansion draft, retain 50% and try to ship him to Montreal.

Old
06-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
I really don't see the need to waive or buyout personally. If he waives, that would be great, but not necessary. Wait until after the expansion draft, retain 50% and try to ship him to Montreal.
At the very least I think the Avs need to ask. Even if they ask EJ too (clearly they will still protect him). Even respectful Joe can find a way to ask without making Beauchemin feel unwanted. He could say something like "we're asking all our NMC's if they'd be willing to waive just so we know what options and flexibility we have available once the expansion draft comes around".

Old
06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
At the very least I think the Avs need to ask. Even if they ask EJ too (clearly they will still protect him). Even respectful Joe can find a way to ask without making Beauchemin feel unwanted. He could say something like "we're asking all our NMC's if they'd be willing to waive just so we know what options and flexibility we have available once the expansion draft comes around".
I have no problem seeing if he will waive, but I don't see it as a hill to die on. A deal at the draft to send him to Montreal (or maybe even Anaheim) clears more cap and brings something back. Probably not much, but something. I see a buyout as the least likely thing to happen.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
I have no problem seeing if he will waive, but I don't see it as a hill to die on. A deal at the draft to send him to Montreal (or maybe even Anaheim) clears more cap and brings something back. Probably not much, but something. I see a buyout as the least likely thing to happen.
That's certainly not a bad scenario. I think most Avs fans see the buyout as an opportunity to protect more players in the expansion draft than simply not having Beauchemin around though.

IMO, Sakic is already well aware who Vegas is taking. Whether it be a small deal or something. Sakic can expose Mackinnon for all he wants and he wont be the one taken if there's some type of agreement in place. This is the reason I just wish somebody can find out if Beauchemin was asked to waive. I don't care what his response was/is. If he was asked to waive it means Sakic is still heading into this weekend somewhat blind. If he wasn't even asked it means Sakic already knows what's happening.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:03 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
I guess I just never considered Beauch would have value

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
Old
06-13-2017, 09:06 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
That's certainly not a bad scenario. I think most Avs fans see the buyout as an opportunity to protect more players in the expansion draft than simply not having Beauchemin around though.

IMO, Sakic is already well aware who Vegas is taking. Whether it be a small deal or something. Sakic can expose Mackinnon for all he wants and he wont be the one taken if there's some type of agreement in place. This is the reason I just wish somebody can find out if Beauchemin was asked to waive. I don't care what his response was/is. If he was asked to waive it means Sakic is still heading into this weekend somewhat blind. If he wasn't even asked it means Sakic already knows what's happening.
I see the appeal of protecting more players... but when you get down to it, they are losing one of Comeau, Soda, Nieto, or Pickard. Picks would be the biggest loss, and his isn't even that great.

I'm not sure Sakic knows for sure, but I bet he has an idea. Vegas is negotiating deals based on who may be exposed now, so who they take could change over the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I guess I just never considered Beauch would have value
I wouldn't say there is much... mid round pick, B/C prospect, or AHL player. It saves money and is pretty much a win for everybody.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:06 AM
EdAVSfan

If Sakic already knows that Vegas is taking pickard, for example, waiving, buying out...its all moot.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAVSfan View Post
If Sakic already knows that Vegas is taking pickard, for example, waiving, buying out...its all moot.
Exactly. Which is why I want to know if Beauch was asked. Don't care what he says. If Beauchemin wasn't asked to waive it likely means there was no reason to ask because Sakic already knows how expansion will roll out.

Either that or Sakic is even more incompetent than I imagined.

I think it's cute that Dater and AJ have so much information on speculative things but when there's concrete information based on a deadline they're unable to find anything out. Strange how sources work.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:08 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
I wouldn't say there is much... mid round pick, B/C prospect, or AHL player. It saves money and is pretty much a win for everybody.
The next question is if Beauch would waive to leave? Now, I think professionally, he would (better chance of winning than here), but he's now married with kids and all of that, and that will always have a large stake in a decision, can he really just uproot his family when he's only got 1 guaranteed year of NHL salary left?

Old
06-13-2017, 09:11 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
The next question is if Beauch would waive to leave? Now, I think professionally, he would (better chance of winning than here), but he's now married with kids and all of that, and that will always have a large stake in a decision, can he really just uproot his family when he's only got 1 guaranteed year of NHL salary left?
Would uprooting be really necessary?

I think we'd assume if a deal were done, it'd at the deadline. That's pretty much only 2+months of hockey. Then he's a UFA anyways.

So if he's planning on playing another season after this next one, he'll be uprooting no matter what in the offseason.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:14 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAVSfan View Post
Would uprooting be really necessary?

I think we'd assume if a deal were done, it'd at the deadline. That's pretty much only 2+months of hockey. Then he's a UFA anyways.

So if he's planning on playing another season after this next one, he'll be uprooting no matter what in the offseason.
Hench is, if I'm not mistaken, referring to dealing Beauchemin at the draft, and therefore him playing an entire year with a new team. If his family didn't move with him, that's an awful long time for a father to not see his kids and a husband to not see his wife (save for the odd day/week that they might be able to come visit him or he go visit them). Not wanting to uproot their family is something that's usually heard with regards to these older veterans and the possibility of a trade.

Closed Thread