HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Expansion Watch: Pickard selected (Updated Rumored Selections on post #435)

View Poll Results: Who will Vegas select from the Avs?
Pickard 69 57.50%
Nieto 5 4.17%
Andrighetto 4 3.33%
Barberio 7 5.83%
Comeau 8 6.67%
Soderberg 8 6.67%
Colborne 4 3.33%
Grigorenko 10 8.33%
Grimaldi 4 3.33%
Other 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2017, 09:16 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Exactly. Which is why I want to know if Beauch was asked. Don't care what he says. If Beauchemin wasn't asked to waive it likely means there was no reason to ask because Sakic already knows how expansion will roll out.

Either that or Sakic is even more incompetent than I imagined.

I think it's cute that Dater and AJ have so much information on speculative things but when there's concrete information based on a deadline they're unable to find anything out. Strange how sources work.
Yeah, it's almost as if they're both at the whim of what their sources want to give them...

[EDIT]

For the record, I never bought Dater's hint (or whatever it was) that Beauchemin may be bought out. I've never really believed they were going to do that. Sure, it'd be nice to be wrong on that one, just never really bought it though.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.

Last edited by RockLobster: 06-13-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old
06-13-2017, 09:24 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Hench is, if I'm not mistaken, referring to dealing Beauchemin at the draft, and therefore him playing an entire year with a new team. If his family didn't move with him, that's an awful long time for a father to not see his kids and a husband to not see his wife (save for the odd day/week that they might be able to come visit him or he go visit them). Not wanting to uproot their family is something that's usually heard with regards to these older veterans and the possibility of a trade.
Yep, saying at the draft. I think there are really only 2 places Beauch would go... Montreal and Anaheim. Both might want him as a bottom pairing guy who can step up when injuries hit. I know people will scream about Anaheim doesn't need one... they are likely to lose 1 D regardless and Carlyle likes Beauch.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:26 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Hench is, if I'm not mistaken, referring to dealing Beauchemin at the draft, and therefore him playing an entire year with a new team. If his family didn't move with him, that's an awful long time for a father to not see his kids and a husband to not see his wife (save for the odd day/week that they might be able to come visit him or he go visit them). Not wanting to uproot their family is something that's usually heard with regards to these older veterans and the possibility of a trade.
Ah, my mistake then. I understood a deadline deal.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:28 AM
hockeyfish

Vegas is going to have a sneaky good team I suspect.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:35 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Neal is more of a name than a good player anymore. Aberg would be a better selection to me.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:41 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

Sooooo........is there a chance that LV has a better team than Colorado next season?

Also, is there a limit to how many trades LV does with teams, where they take on a nice draft pick for either a crappy contract, or to leave another team's certain given player alone? I mean, can LV go to each and every team who could lose a quality player, and walk off with a dozen 2018 1st/2nd round picks or something like that?

Old
06-13-2017, 09:42 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Neal is more of a name than a good player anymore. Aberg would be a better selection to me.
I think he is on the downside of his career at this point. But he is still a good player. At the very least, he will make for great deadline bait.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:43 AM
AvsGuy
Flagrant Violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Really though, I'd say the same for Edmonton. They just don't compare to most American cities unless we're talking Toronto and maybe Montreal/Vancouver. And especially when being compared to Vegas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
From another (unbiaised) Canadian who has visited both cities, I'd say Edmonton is relatively worse than Calgary

I also happened to have visited Vegas and yeah, you're right.
Quote:
Calgary is fine... it just isn't equivalent to the top ~20-30 US cities. Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver are the only cities in Canada that really compete with the LA, SF, NYC, Miami, etc of the US.

FTR my favorite place in Canada is Quebec City, but I do understand it just isn't a world class city.
Born and raised in Regina so y'all can bite it lol, Calgary is a bustling metropolis to me. I agree on Quebec City, beautiful place.

Quote:
I've seen so many of those lists, and they vary so wildly depending on who is paying them or what agenda they want to push. There is nothing really wrong with Calgary... it is just a city that is at best on Denver's level (I'd argue a good chunk below personally), and Denver isn't even a top 15 city in the US. I'd live in Denver far before I lived in Chicago, but that doesn't make Denver better.
What does "top 15 city" mean? What are you using to measure this? How is Chicago better in any sense than Denver?

I keep seeing Comeau's name tossed around as someone we might protect... why, why, why would that ever happen?

This seems simple to me. We have an obligation to protect Beauchemin. We need to retain the talent of Johnson, Barrie and Zadorov. There's 4 defensemen. Pick 4 forwards. Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog and Andrighetto. Boom. Is there another NMC I'm forgetting? In the 4+4 scenario there is literally no one else worth protecting. Sucks to lose either Barberio or Nieto but good lord if we waste a protection slot on Comeau or Colborne or Soderberg or someone else who isn't worth a roster position in the first place, I am going to lose it.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:46 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
Neal is still good. Not 40 goal good anymore, but put him next to a quality center, and he'll bag 25.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:49 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Neal is still good. Not 40 goal good anymore, but put him next to a quality center, and he'll bag 25.
I doubt Vegas gets a quality center for next season, and Neal has a tendency to miss games every year. 20g yeah... while Aberg looks like he could be a good player.

Old
06-13-2017, 10:54 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Old
06-13-2017, 11:42 AM
lonelybadger

vCash: 50

Old
06-13-2017, 11:44 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

We should know in minutes. Iron Mike is on the case.

Old
06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Bubba Thudd
Spinach Balls!

vCash: 6200
Mike, Mike, he's our man,
If he can't do it no one can!

Old
06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Mike, Mike, he's our man,
If he can't do it no one can!
So then no one can, right?

Old
06-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Bubba Thudd
Spinach Balls!

vCash: 6200
Quote:
So then no one can, right?
Don't care.
Just wanted to see the cheerleaders.

Old
06-13-2017, 11:49 AM
lonelybadger

I bet if we update beauchemin's wiki to include an extensive college career it would get done faster.

Old
06-13-2017, 11:51 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelybadger View Post
I bet if we update beauchemin's wiki to include an extensive college career it would get done faster.

Well done.

Old
06-13-2017, 11:52 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Don't care.
Just wanted to see the cheerleaders.

Quote:
Only if it were specifically DU...and Joey LaLeggia was somehow in there too.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:08 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
I've seen so many of those lists, and they vary so wildly depending on who is paying them or what agenda they want to push. There is nothing really wrong with Calgary... it is just a city that is at best on Denver's level (I'd argue a good chunk below personally), and Denver isn't even a top 15 city in the US. I'd live in Denver far before I lived in Chicago, but that doesn't make Denver better.
What's more important than wanting to live somewhere? Seems that should be the best measuring stick for which place is better.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
I don't mind Chambers for what he does. He doesn't appear to work as hard as a lot of other people who put work into covering the Avs and his priorities generally seem to be elsewhere but at least he doesn't lie.

Anyway Chambers says Avs declined to comment.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:37 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I don't mind Chambers for what he does. He doesn't appear to work as hard as a lot of other people who put work into covering the Avs and his priorities generally seem to be elsewhere but at least he doesn't lie.

Anyway Chambers says Avs declined to comment.
So just disregard how bad he is at covering the Avs, how it's plain to see that he puts *way more* effort into the Pios, and he's reporting on the Avs declining to comment on any players with NTCs (which do not have to automatically be protected) and not NMCs?

Mike Chambers is a god awful reporter.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Which means Beauchemin's NMC is still intact.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
So just disregard how bad he is at covering the Avs, how it's plain to see that he puts *way more* effort into the Pios, and he's reporting on the Avs declining to comment on any players with NTCs (which do not have to automatically be protected) and not NMCs?

Mike Chambers is a god awful reporter.
That's not what I'm saying. I even said he doesn't work hard and his priorities are elsewhere. I'm saying he's factual in what he does report even if it is limited. I'm not defending Chambers for what he doesn't do, I'm giving credit for what he does. If I wrote a post about BSN and how wrong they are about everything and how they love to run with their own speculation and then gave credit to them because they write so many stories isn't that pretty much the same (and I guess in a way kinda reciprocal) of what I said about Chambers?

You're screwed either way when it comes to the people who report on the Avs. You can hope Chambers decides to clock in for work that day and actually do something or you can hope BSN aren't lying.

Old
06-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Ceremony
It was dawn

Quote:
If we updated to say "On June 13th 2017 Beauchemin was placed on waivers by the Avalanche for the purposes of an unconditional buyout" Chambers would probably report it