HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion Watch: Pickard selected (Updated Rumored Selections on post #435)

View Poll Results: Who will Vegas select from the Avs?
Pickard 69 57.50%
Nieto 5 4.17%
Andrighetto 4 3.33%
Barberio 7 5.83%
Comeau 8 6.67%
Soderberg 8 6.67%
Colborne 4 3.33%
Grigorenko 10 8.33%
Grimaldi 4 3.33%
Other 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2017, 12:56 PM
  #76
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,941
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
That's not what I'm saying. I even said he doesn't work hard and his priorities are elsewhere. I'm saying he's factual in what he does report even if it is limited. I'm not defending Chambers for what he doesn't do, I'm giving credit for what he does. If I wrote a post about BSN and how wrong they are about everything and how they love to run with their own speculation and then gave credit to them because they write so many stories isn't that pretty much the same (and I guess in a way kinda reciprocal) of what I said about Chambers?

You're screwed either way when it comes to the people who report on the Avs. You can hope Chambers decides to clock in for work that day and actually do something or you can hope BSN aren't lying.
I guess it comes down to whether you think BSN just makes stuff up...which would be highly unethical and would lead to them losing their credential.

There's a difference between just lying/"making up speculation" and reporting on what they have heard. Do I understand the mindset of not liking that they report on a lot of what they hear (and I mean "a lot" and not "everything", because I know of things they don't put out)? Sure. But how is it different from James Mirtle tweeting "something is brewing in Colorado" and then never following it up? And before the answer is that he's "had things before", I'll counter with this--he still offered up completely vague speculation and didn't follow up on it.

It's like we all want some outlet to give us Avs news, but then run one down when one tries to fill that void. And BSN isn't perfect, but I think Dater is a better reporter (by a long shot) than Mike Chambers, and in classic HF fashion I'll add "AINEC"

[EDIT]

If I may further clarify.

I get why people may be skeptical of BSN, I'm not personally as skeptical, but I get it. I just don't personally see the difference, when it comes to the Avs specifically, between them and someone like Mirtle (who I did mention before, because I don't think he's on the same level of LeBrun/Friedman/McKenzie)? In fact, it's kind of damn hard for these national media personalities to get things out of the Avs, but don't you think it's easier for a local reporter like Dater (or even going further and saying AJ) to develop relationships with contacts of the team? Relationships that are not all that easy to develop if you're not based in Denver?

Basically, I'm saying that I've heard enough on the backend to believe that both of those guys know *someone* in the organization (and I doubt they know the same person). Unless I have the dates wrong, I feel quite confident in saying that BSN had confirmation of Mironov more than 2 weeks before it started getting mentioned by others (but because of some formalities--mainly getting out of his KHL deal--they were asked to not report it right away). I don't think they've ever made up anything, but I do believe they can be a bit quick to go with something instead of fleshing it out.

__________________

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.

Last edited by RockLobster; 06-13-2017 at 01:11 PM..
RockLobster is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:03 PM
  #77
Bubba Thudd
Hubba Hubba
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 6200
It's close.

__________________
"We're not cynics, we just don't believe a word you say
We're not critics, we just hate it all anyway"
Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:11 PM
  #78
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 12,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
That's not what I'm saying. I even said he doesn't work hard and his priorities are elsewhere. I'm saying he's factual in what he does report even if it is limited. I'm not defending Chambers for what he doesn't do, I'm giving credit for what he does. If I wrote a post about BSN and how wrong they are about everything and how they love to run with their own speculation and then gave credit to them because they write so many stories isn't that pretty much the same (and I guess in a way kinda reciprocal) of what I said about Chambers?

You're screwed either way when it comes to the people who report on the Avs. You can hope Chambers decides to clock in for work that day and actually do something or you can hope BSN aren't lying.
On one hand I understand what you are saying, but on the other the fact that Chambers makes very little effort to check his facts before he word vomits kind of debunks any sentiment that you can trust what he reports. His record of reporting things that are just flat out incorrect is long standing, and adds to his reputation of not giving a **** about the details.

So yeah if it's simple and all he has to do is repeat what he is told he does fine. Any time he actually has to do one ounce of his own work he might as well be wearing clown shoes.

Personally I think BSN is fine, but it's just like Dater has always been. Facts or rumors with their opinion thrown in right along side of it. I've never had that much of a problem sifting through Dater's reporting style to pick out relevant information.

There is one single reporter covering the Avs who does not add much opinion, and who you can actually trust to report the correct information 99% of the time. That is Rick Sadowski. The problem is that a lot of people like the style that Dater/BSN/AJ have. Rick does not stir crap up and does not pump out click bait, even if he is on HB. I think he still does the odd piece for NHL.com as well.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:13 PM
  #79
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!
 
Cousin Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,973
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I guess it comes down to whether you think BSN just makes stuff up...which would be highly unethical and would lead to them losing their credential.

There's a difference between just lying/"making up speculation" and reporting on what they have heard. Do I understand the mindset of not liking that they report on a lot of what they hear (and I mean "a lot" and not "everything", because I know of things they don't put out)? Sure. But how is it different from James Mirtle tweeting "something is brewing in Colorado" and then never following it up? And before the answer is that he's "had things before", I'll counter with this--he still offered up completely vague speculation and didn't follow up on it.

It's like we all want some outlet to give us Avs news, but then run one down when one tries to fill that void. And BSN isn't perfect, but I think Dater is a better reporter (by a long shot) than Mike Chambers, and in classic HF fashion I'll add "AINEC"
I've gave my opinion on BSN more than enough and you know how I feel. They're different from James Mirtle for the exact reason you said. He had a track record of knowing things. They don't. Until they get one I think they're full of ****. If Mirtle starts tweeting false crap all the time his credibility will go too. People make mistakes and that appears to be one of few by James Mirtle who you laughably just compared BSN to. Plus there's plenty of reason to believe (Rishaug being one) that there was something going on there.

I didn't intend to make this a BSN thing. My initial post was about Mike Chambers. A post where I literally talked about his shortcomings more than what he's good for and you jumped on me for giving him the little bit of credit that I did.

__________________
"Cody McLeod didn't get that nose working in an office"
- Gord Miller
Cousin Eddie is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:26 PM
  #80
AVS1819
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post

I keep seeing Comeau's name tossed around as someone we might protect... why, why, why would that ever happen?

This seems simple to me. We have an obligation to protect Beauchemin. We need to retain the talent of Johnson, Barrie and Zadorov. There's 4 defensemen. Pick 4 forwards. Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog and Andrighetto. Boom. Is there another NMC I'm forgetting? In the 4+4 scenario there is literally no one else worth protecting. Sucks to lose either Barberio or Nieto but good lord if we waste a protection slot on Comeau or Colborne or Soderberg or someone else who isn't worth a roster position in the first place, I am going to lose it.
I SO agree with you which is why it is mindboggling to me that I keep seeing Andrighetto's name brought up as someone the Avs could lose. Anyone who would even consider protecting, Soda, Colborne, Comeau, Grigs, Nieto ahead of Andro does not deserve a job with minor league team, let alone an NHL team.

The only way they should lose Andro is if they complete a trade to acquire a high end/protectable talent (ie. Vatanen or Brodin) without giving up a high end/protectable talent in return.

AVS1819 is online now  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
  #81
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I've gave my opinion on BSN more than enough and you know how I feel. They're different from James Mirtle for the exact reason you said. He had a track record of knowing things. They don't. Until they get one I think they're full of ****. If Mirtle starts tweeting false crap all the time his credibility will go too. People make mistakes and that appears to be one of few by James Mirtle who you laughably just compared BSN to. Plus there's plenty of reason to believe (Rishaug being one) that there was something going on there.

I didn't intend to make this a BSN thing. My initial post was about Mike Chambers. A post where I literally talked about his shortcomings more than what he's good for and you jumped on me for giving him the little bit of credit that I did.
I fear AJ will jump the gun on one too many things and **** off the organization or their sources. Which will then effectively kill whatever progress they've made towards becoming a legit media outlet.

UncleRisto is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
  #82
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS1819 View Post
I SO agree with you which is why it is mindboggling to me that I keep seeing Andrighetto's name brought up as someone the Avs could lose. Anyone who would even consider protecting, Soda, Colborne, Comeau, Grigs, Nieto ahead of Andro does not deserve a job with minor league team, let alone an NHL team.

The only way they should lose Andro is if they complete a trade to acquire a high end/protectable talent (ie. Vatanen or Brodin) without giving up a high end/protectable talent in return.
This is the same pro-scouting staff that has likely recommended a good chunk of the junk on this squad right now.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:32 PM
  #83
Ararana
Registered User
 
Ararana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Two Rivers
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 966
Chambers is about to do a live chat, have fun peeps

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/13...mike-chambers/

Ararana is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:35 PM
  #84
AVS1819
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
This is the same pro-scouting staff that has likely recommended a good chunk of the junk on this squad right now.
Now you are just making me nervous! I'm sure many of us could do a better job at identifying talent than they have done in recent years. Sure hope Joe and his management/scouting staff can get their **** together in the next couple weeks and get this team back on the right path!

AVS1819 is online now  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:35 PM
  #85
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!
 
Cousin Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18,973
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
I fear AJ will jump the gun on one too many things and **** off the organization or their sources. Which will then effectively kill whatever progress they've made towards becoming a legit media outlet.
I doubt the organization gives AJ much anyway. It's pretty obvious how much less Dater has been given lately as well. Don't know if it's because he carries the BSN title or if it's something else but he doesn't have anywhere near the reliability he once did. Dater obviously does still have contacts though and he's as good if not better than anyone when it comes to getting Avs related info.

Cousin Eddie is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:37 PM
  #86
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DENVER!!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 10,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS1819 View Post
I SO agree with you which is why it is mindboggling to me that I keep seeing Andrighetto's name brought up as someone the Avs could lose. Anyone who would even consider protecting, Soda, Colborne, Comeau, Grigs, Nieto ahead of Andro does not deserve a job with minor league team, let alone an NHL team.

The only way they should lose Andro is if they complete a trade to acquire a high end/protectable talent (ie. Vatanen or Brodin) without giving up a high end/protectable talent in return.
I agree in principle, but let's take a step back here. He passed through waivers prior to the trade. I'm happy he did well in the few weeks he was here, but his future is likely a tweener 4th liner, with his absolute upside being a 3rd liner.

If the Avs lose him, it's not going to make a particularly big difference.

hockeyfish is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
  #87
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,941
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I've gave my opinion on BSN more than enough and you know how I feel. They're different from James Mirtle for the exact reason you said. He had a track record of knowing things. They don't. Until they get one I think they're full of ****. If Mirtle starts tweeting false crap all the time his credibility will go too. People make mistakes and that appears to be one of few by James Mirtle who you laughably just compared BSN to. Plus there's plenty of reason to believe (Rishaug being one) that there was something going on there.

I didn't intend to make this a BSN thing. My initial post was about Mike Chambers. A post where I literally talked about his shortcomings more than what he's good for and you jumped on me for giving him the little bit of credit that I did.
But in a vacuum, it's not laughable to compare to the two (when it comes to Avs related items) because Mirtle, to my knowledge, has no real track record of getting anything related to the Avs. So if you believe that BSN has no track record of getting anything with the Avs, then neither does Mirtle (which is why I used him since he was the one who set that twitter frenzy last summer). Again, I'm limiting the comparison to just the Avs since one entity (BSN) only covers them and therefore wouldn't really have any need for a wider array of coverage (like Mirtle with the rest of the NHL).

I didn't "jump on you" (at least it wasn't my intention to), I pointed out that Mike Chambers is a god-awful reporter. It wasn't meant to do with you, so much as it seemed odd that anyone would give him any credit whatsoever, when it's clear as day the coverage of the Avs at the Denver Post took a nosedive when Dater was let go. Case in point, here's something from his lunch time chat today (re: Beauchemin): "As for waiving his NTC, I'm sure the Avs asked him and I'm willing to bet he obliged." Chambers still doesn't seem to understand the difference between NTC and NMC with regards to the upcoming Expansion Draft (edit: perhaps he got the understanding now, based on an answer to a different question...) and why getting Beauchemin to waive his NMC would have been good for the Avs as an organization. Furthermore, as far as I can see, he's just offering unsourced speculation there...

I think it's funny that, as I said before, we as an Avs fan community want better coverage, and an entity has stepped forward to try and provide that coverage, and has gone as far as to employ someone who has a long-standing history with the team, but god forbid they report on speculation they hear (like a lot of other national media figures do), otherwise they get called liars? I think there's a middle ground somewhere there though man, that's all I meant by it. I don't take everything I hear/read from BSN as gospel, because the nature of hockey (as a business) is that there are quite a bit of trade proposals bantered back and forth from teams, and an exceptionally small percentage of them ever come to fruition. I don't mind them reporting on speculation, as long as it's within reason, because it helps keep things moving along.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 01:52 PM
  #88
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,320
vCash: 500
BSN reports everything and adds their own speculation with never clarifying any of it. I think it is fair to say they have very little credibility with fans. Chambers just flat out sucks. Worst beat reporter for a major professional sports team.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 02:03 PM
  #89
Bubba Thudd
Hubba Hubba
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 6200
We are lost, alone, bereft of any foresight, waiting while the tragedies strike. We are doomed.

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 02:41 PM
  #90
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,829
vCash: 500
Martineau's job must be so easy this time of year. Check email/text, type "no comment", hit send, and then back to golf/chilling. We're never going to find if Beauchemin was even asked or not because it's the Avs.

OT: Anyone else having issues with this board? It's lagging big time for me and ABP is no longer blocking out that ridiculous sidebar. I've also been randomly logged in and out. Had to switch to mobile.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 02:45 PM
  #91
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Martineau's job must be so easy this time of year. Check email/text, type "no comment", hit send, and then back to golf/chilling. We're never going to find if Beauchemin was even asked or not because it's the Avs.

OT: Anyone else having issues with this board? It's lagging big time for me and ABP is no longer blocking out that ridiculous sidebar. I've also been randomly logged in and out. Had to switch to mobile.
Yeah it has been bad... I get AB up and running for a bit then it craps out again. I think HF is being crafty.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 03:22 PM
  #92
ABasin
The good old days...
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
BSN reports everything and adds their own speculation with never clarifying any of it. I think it is fair to say they have very little credibility with fans. Chambers just flat out sucks. Worst beat reporter for a major professional sports team.
I like BSN. Not because they're some sort of awesome credible media outlet. But rather, I see them (from a hockey standpoint, anyway) as an extension of the better posters in this forum, but without the give and take. I find some of their articles a little inane, others really good. I disagree with some of their opinions, agree with others.

I realize that perhaps my expectations of BSN are different than others'. Perhaps even quite a bit lower than others'. I treat any given article like it's simply a reasonably smart fan's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe that's why I'm positive when it comes to BSN.

ABasin is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 07:07 PM
  #93
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Yeah it has been bad... I get AB up and running for a bit then it craps out again. I think HF is being crafty.
It's annoying but I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one having issues.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
06-13-2017, 07:13 PM
  #94
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 28,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararana View Post
Chambers is about to do a live chat, have fun peeps

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/13...mike-chambers/
Did anyone ask him if he'd be comfortable with the Avs drafting Nick Suzuki less than a month after Memorial Day?

Mystic MacK is online now  
Old
06-13-2017, 07:26 PM
  #95
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 28,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
BSN reports everything and adds their own speculation with never clarifying any of it. I think it is fair to say they have very little credibility with fans. Chambers just flat out sucks. Worst beat reporter for a major professional sports team.
He's brutal. Someone asked him his thoughts on the Avs protecting Varlamov, and he replied saying, "Varlamov protected? Thatís news to me."

It's not like it was reported already by his colleague and picked up by NBC and TSN. Not only does he suck at covering the Avs, he doesn't even pay attention to what other media outlets are reporting about them.

http://bsndenver.com/bsn-exclusive-a...pansion-draft/

http://www.tsn.ca/report-avs-to-prot...ckard-1.723498

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/...pansion-draft/

Mystic MacK is online now  
Old
06-13-2017, 08:03 PM
  #96
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 40,584
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
We are lost, alone, bereft of any foresight, waiting while the tragedies strike. We are doomed.
It's good. Being an Avs fan is like having your own coloring book. If you want to create a purple dinosaur, go nuts. The only limit is your imagination.

Freudian is offline  
Old
06-14-2017, 12:05 AM
  #97
Balthazar
Someone
 
Balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
So if Vegas take Picks and we trade with the Isles, do we take Halak back as a cap dump? That would increase Duchene's value quite a bit and I'd be OK with a Halak/Varly duo to start the season. I don't care if Halak is overpaid there's only one year left on his contract and we can afford him.

Balthazar is offline  
Old
06-14-2017, 12:24 AM
  #98
hughdreamz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
So if Vegas take Picks and we trade with the Isles, do we take Halak back as a cap dump? That would increase Duchene's value quite a bit and I'd be OK with a Halak/Varly duo to start the season. I don't care if Halak is overpaid there's only one year left on his contract and we can afford him.
I would absolutely! Halak will at least be a decent back-up. Also if we traded Duchene and Barrie for mostly futures, his cap hit would help us reach the cap minimum.

hughdreamz is offline  
Old
06-14-2017, 01:36 AM
  #99
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 13,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
So if Vegas take Picks and we trade with the Isles, do we take Halak back as a cap dump? That would increase Duchene's value quite a bit and I'd be OK with a Halak/Varly duo to start the season. I don't care if Halak is overpaid there's only one year left on his contract and we can afford him.
I don't think the Islanders are actually going to look at getting rid of Halak. I don't know if they're sold on Greiss as their full-time starter. There's a reason Halak was re-called late last season in NYI's push for the playoffs.

dahrougem2 is online now  
Old
06-15-2017, 12:12 PM
  #100
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26,320
vCash: 500
Now that Beauch has been bought out. I'd personally watch what the Flames do carefully before figuring out who to expose. If they pick up Smith, then the Avs can pretty much expose Varlamov with absolutely no risk of him getting selected. Then go with a 7-3-1 split.

MacK
Duchene
Landy
Ghetto
Nieto
Grimaldi (I mean why not)
______ (don't care)

EJ
Zadorov
Barrie

Picks

I don't think Barberio is worth signing one of the depth guys for another year.

henchman24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.