HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Expansion Watch: Pickard selected (Updated Rumored Selections on post #435)

View Poll Results: Who will Vegas select from the Avs?
Pickard 69 57.50%
Nieto 5 4.17%
Andrighetto 4 3.33%
Barberio 7 5.83%
Comeau 8 6.67%
Soderberg 8 6.67%
Colborne 4 3.33%
Grigorenko 10 8.33%
Grimaldi 4 3.33%
Other 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2017, 12:37 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Now that Beauch has been bought out. I'd personally watch what the Flames do carefully before figuring out who to expose. If they pick up Smith, then the Avs can pretty much expose Varlamov with absolutely no risk of him getting selected. Then go with a 7-3-1 split.

MacK
Duchene
Landy
Ghetto
Nieto
Grimaldi (I mean why not)
______ (don't care)

EJ
Zadorov
Barrie

Picks

I don't think Barberio is worth signing one of the depth guys for another year.
Sakic is not a gambling man.

I believe those earlier reports. No matter what happens, Varly will be protected...

But IMO that Beauch buyout makes a Picks deal more realistic...

I mean I am as glad as everyone else that Beauch is gone but why buy out Beauch right away if Vegas takes Picks anyways?

Old
06-15-2017, 12:41 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Sakic is not a gambling man.

I believe those earlier reports. No matter what happens, Varly will be protected...

But IMO that Beauch buyout makes a Picks deal more realistic...

I mean I am as glad as everyone else that Beauch is gone but why buy out Beauch right away if Vegas takes Picks anyways?
I personally don't think Picks is taken by Vegas, they'll get Fleury and Grubauer as there 1 and 2 no need for another goalie like Picks.

Old
06-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I personally don't think Picks is taken by Vegas, they'll get Fleury and Grubauer as there 1 and 2 no need for another goalie like Picks.
Friedman said a few weeks ago that teams see value in Pickard, especially with his contract. Looking at who else is available from Colorado it would make total sense that they take Pickard with the sole intention of flipping him for a draft pick. Nobody else from the Avs exposed list is worth that.

Old
06-15-2017, 01:50 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

With Fleury willing to waive the Aves can easily expose Varly. Vegas won't be stupid enough to pick two high salary goalies and risk not being able to more Varly.

Old
06-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
With Fleury willing to waive the Aves can easily expose Varly. Vegas won't be stupid enough to pick two high salary goalies and risk not being able to more Varly.
It won't be a "risk" of not being able to move Varly. Once Vegas sees the protection lists it's not like they have to fill out the paper work in a dark room by themselves immediately. They have a few days to get it done. They'll look at some of the names available and have conversations with other teams about their interests. If for example Varlamov is available I'm sure Vegas will have a conversation with a team like Calgary about him. Perhaps Calgary offers a high draft pick if Vegas are willing to retain 50% on him.

There's no risk. Vegas will know what those potential flips will return before they select them. If there's no interest from other teams on those goalies/players that vegas has no intention of using, they will simply choose somebody else.

Old
06-15-2017, 02:10 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
It won't be a "risk" of not being able to move Varly. Once Vegas sees the protection lists it's not like they have to fill out the paper work in a dark room by themselves immediately. They have a few days to get it done. They'll look at some of the names available and have conversations with other teams about their interests. If for example Varlamov is available I'm sure Vegas will have a conversation with a team like Calgary about him. Perhaps Calgary offers a high draft pick if Vegas are willing to retain 50% on him.

There's no risk. Vegas will know what those potential flips will return before they select them. If there's no interest from other teams on those goalies/players that vegas has no intention of using, they will simply choose somebody else.
I doubt they get an agreement in place with a team like the Flames. They might get some expression of interest but nothing solid. So vegas would pass on taking him.

I can't see a team committing themselves to trading for a guy like Varlamov.

Old
06-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
I doubt they get an agreement in place with a team like the Flames. They might get some expression of interest but nothing solid. So vegas would pass on taking him.

I can't see a team committing themselves to trading for a guy like Varlamov.
And if that's the case Vegas wont take him. I didn't quote you because I think teams are lining up to take Varlamov. I'm quoting you because you said Vegas wont risk being stuck with him. There's no chance that happens. They'll know whether or not they'd be stuck with him before making a decision.

Old
06-15-2017, 02:13 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Calgary is really the only team that would take a shot at Varly... and I'd put the chances at that happening as pretty low. They are keyed in on Smith.

Old
06-15-2017, 02:41 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
And if that's the case Vegas wont take him. I didn't quote you because I think teams are lining up to take Varlamov. I'm quoting you because you said Vegas wont risk being stuck with him. There's no chance that happens. They'll know whether or not they'd be stuck with him before making a decision.
I don't think they would know. They would be in a position where they think they might be able to flip Varlamov to Calgary but have no guarantee.

Vegas won't know for certain they can move him. But there is no 100% certainty they are stuck with him either. So it's a risk taking him. A risk they will pass on.

Old
06-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
I don't think they would know. They would be in a position where they think they might be able to flip Varlamov to Calgary but have no guarantee.

Vegas won't know for certain they can move him. But there is no 100% certainty they are stuck with him either. So it's a risk taking him. A risk they will pass on.
Do you think Calgary would lie to them? How would they not know if they ask?

Old
06-15-2017, 07:38 PM
shadow1

I would keep -
Quote:
MacKinnon - Landeskog - Duchene - Andrighetto - Nieto - Comeau - Grigorenko

Zadorov - Johnson - Barrie

Pickard
That basically would leave Las Vegas picking between Soderberg, Colborne, Barberio, and Varlamov. As someone mentioned, if Fleury goes to LV, there's no way they'd touch Varlamov (because of his huge salary).

The above situation would literally make it possible that LV takes Soderberg, which would be a dream.

See? Being horrible does have it's perks.

Old
06-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Avsblitzkrieg

vCash: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I would keep -

That basically would leave Las Vegas picking between Soderberg, Colborne, Barberio, and Varlamov. As someone mentioned, if Fleury goes to LV, there's no way they'd touch Varlamov (because of his huge salary).

The above situation would literally make it possible that LV takes Soderberg, which would be a dream.

or instead of adding all that salary on a player with a disappointing year. Pick a guy who is cheap and played in the top four. Don't look for lv to take him unless they want to add salary

Old
06-15-2017, 07:56 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I would keep -

They don't have to take any of those guys. They could take a pending UFA or an AHL player if they don't want that garbage.

I won't be surprised if they pick a guy like Grimaldi and move on with life.

Old
06-16-2017, 04:08 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
It occurred to me that two of Soderberg, colborne and Comeau have to be exposed to meet the exposure requirement. So even going 7-3 the Avs can't protect them

That's all...carry on

Old
06-16-2017, 04:19 PM
AvsGuy
Flagrant Violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
It occurred to me that two of Soderberg, colborne and Comeau have to be exposed to meet the exposure requirement. So even going 7-3 the Avs can't protect them

That's all...carry on

Old
06-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

You have to leave Soderberg unprotected and pray Vegas takes him (they won't). I'm sure he'll take it positively though and work even harder to prove them wrong.

Last edited by Avs_19: 06-16-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old
06-16-2017, 05:05 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post

That's all...carry on
MacK, Landy, Duchene, Nieto, Ghetto, Grigorenko, Comeau. 7F, leaves Soderberg and Colborne exposed under contract.

Old
06-16-2017, 05:11 PM
LieutenantDangle
Mikko Kardashian

vCash: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
You have to leave Soderberg unprotected and pray Vegas takes him (they won't). I'm sure he'll take is positively though and work even harder to prove them wrong.
well played

Old
06-16-2017, 09:39 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
I e been impressed with Vegas' preparation. Of course what else have they been doing the last year but it takes a ton of planning to be this detailed. I'd pay to listen to these tropes of breakdowns.

Quote:
The mock drafts would start with a pro scout breaking down a team. Then there would be an open discussion with all in the room encouraged to offer insight and opinion. Protection lists would be considered and then predicted. And then McPhee and his group would create a top-3 ranking of the players they would take from that team if conditions allowed.

Old
06-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
Is the idea of going 7 + 3 now to force Vegas to take Soderberg or Comeau/Colborne? Because that's somewhat smart if Sakic is actually doing that but my guess is that Vegas would then just draft Barbeiro.

Old
06-17-2017, 05:07 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Like said before, Vegas can't be forced into taking a bad contract. It cannot be done.

Old
06-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Metallo
NWOBHM forever \m/

LV is going to be competitive, they could make the PO if they wanted, and they are going to stockpile more assets than any expansion team in history. They did pay through the nose for that however.

Old
06-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
No matter what Avs can't risk Vegas taking Varlamov. That would leave them with Pickard as their NHL goalie.

Old
06-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Metallo
NWOBHM forever \m/

You protect Varly IF you are sure he's going to be healthy.

BTW does LV have access to the medical records of the players exposed?

Old
06-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
You protect Varly IF you are sure he's going to be healthy.

BTW does LV have access to the medical records of the players exposed?
They 99% know the type of surgery Varly has had and how much it helps a goalie.

Closed Thread