HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Roles within the team

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Kluivert4Ever

vCash: 500
Roles within the team

We have all said that the main reason for our spectacular season (considering the expectations, yes spectacular) is that everyone has played their role and it has been a team effort.

Henrik Lundqvist´s role has been the one of a number one goaltender, he has delivered.

Jaromir Jagr´s role has been to carry the offence and he has done that marveously.

Martin Straka´s role has been to complement Jagr, skate strongly and also chip in offensivley.

Jason Ward´s role has been to be a great hardworking 3rd liner.

Dominic Moore´s role has been to be a solid hard working 4th liner.

Now, what is the point of all this.
We appreciate what all the above players have done (and others but I used them for an example).

The point is that Kevin Weekes also has a role, the role of BACKUP-Goaltender.
Has he lived up to his role? Just like Dominic Moore has lived up to his as a hardworking 4th liner or Jed Ortmeyer as a fantastic penalty killer.

Before today´s game he was ranked 4th in the league in save precentage among backup goaltenders.
We all praise the likes of Moore, Ortyemer and Ward for their role in our succes but are even they 4th in the league in their specific role?
Maybe so, I am not gonna speculate on that right now, but anyone who has been 4th in the league in his role has delivered and Kevin Weekes has done that.

Note: I am not by just looking at the save precentage naming Weekes the 4th best backup-goaltender but these stats can at the very least be used to put him in the top 8 which in my book is good enough regardless.

Old
03-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Pizza

I get what you are saying, but we have a problem. Weekes has not proved that he can play well in a big game in the Garden. This was a big test for Kevin tonight and he did not pass it. I'm not saying he should boiled in oil, he just failed to give us a chance to stay in the game. The Rangers just seem to play with a lot more confidence when Hank is in net. It's great we won tonight, but it's also not good because we need Weekes to be good in some big games. He needs to be able to deal with the pressure of big games at MSG. Be nice if it happened this year.

Old
03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
I get what you are saying, but we have a problem. Weekes has not proved that he can play well in a big game in the Garden. This was a big test for Kevin tonight and he did not pass it. I'm not saying he should boiled in oil, he just failed to give us a chance to stay in the game. The Rangers just seem to play with a lot more confidence when Hank is in net. It's great we won tonight, but it's also not good because we need Weekes to be good in some big games. He needs to be able to deal with the pressure of big games at MSG. Be nice if it happened this year.

Two things, yes we are a lot more confident when Henke is in net, but I would think that it is common among the league that teams are more secure with their number one. Also, and this might sound peculiar and borderline stupid but we don’t really need Weekes to deal with the pressure of big games at the Garden, it would of course be of preference if he could, but considering that he is a backup there is nothing erroneous with him simply playing the occasional road game. It is of course preferable that Weekes would possess a mental state that is strong enough for the type of games that you are alluding to, but in there lies a part of the answer to why Weekes is "just" a backup goaltender.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Bretzky*

I love Jason Ward. He does everything right in my opinion. He is so valuable to this team. Ward and Betts are starting to remind me of what McCarty/Draper were for Detroit for so many years.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968
I love Jason Ward. He does everything right in my opinion. He is so valuable to this team. Ward and Betts are starting to remind me of what McCarty/Draper were for Detroit for so many years.
ward is very valuable-- totally agree

Old
03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
The Dawg*

im not even gonna get started on weekes

Old
03-28-2006, 01:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Weekes has been inadequate because he has been so inconsistent. He's had stretches where he has looked like a number 1, and stretches where he looks like an AHL backup.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:28 AM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by midclasscasualty
Weekes has been inadequate because he has been so inconsistent. He's had stretches where he has looked like a number 1, and stretches where he looks like an AHL backup.
and thats what has defined his entire career.

Old
03-28-2006, 08:31 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Ward and Betts are starting to remind me of what McCarty/Draper were for Detroit for so many years.
I like them too, but they are not even in the same stratosphere as the 'Wings Grind line. When between Ward & Betts, they can score as many goals as Draper has, they will take a step. But right now, Betts looks to be a 4th line center, playing the role of a 3rd line center. Good on face-offs & PK, but that is about it.

Old
03-28-2006, 08:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I like them too, but they are not even in the same stratosphere as the 'Wings Grind line. When between Ward & Betts, they can score as many goals as Draper has, they will take a step. But right now, Betts looks to be a 4th line center, playing the role of a 3rd line center. Good on face-offs & PK, but that is about it.
They also don't play with the nastiness that McCarty and Draper did (do).

03-28-2006, 08:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
They also don't play with the nastiness that McCarty and Draper did (do).
No, they do not. The entire Grind line of Maltby-Draper-McCarty is one of the better checking lines over the last decade. They did everything, hit, fight, score and most important, shut down the other team's top line. Betts, Moore, Ortmeyer & Ward have a long, long way to go before they belong in the same breath. IF they ever get there that is, which I tend to doubt.

Old
03-28-2006, 09:16 AM
shoothepuck

The problem with Weekes, is that Renney still refers to him as a #1 goalie, when he clearly is not, at least on this team.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Bretzky*

Of course they haven't proven themselves as McCarty and Draper have, and they haven't even had enough seasons to do so. I was merely noting that they are STARTING to remind me of those type of players, because they are so solid defensively and always give 110% effort.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Pizza

The problem is that every game just gets more important. We don't have the luxury of dictating where and when Hank needs a rest Fatigue just happens, and not conveniently. So what I am saying is that while it is obvious as a first choice to play Weekes on the road, necessity may dictate otherwise. When that happens, both Weekes and the team need to respond better.

Old
03-28-2006, 10:59 AM
KasparKrunch

Kaspar's role is to score all the big goals and to quarterback our PP...he is also the anchor of our shootout.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:09 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I didn't realize that Weekes' save percentage ranks so highly among backup goaltenders. Now that Renney has been playing Lundqvist more and Weekes has pretty much been used in a "backup" role, those statistics are okay by me.

The problem I had with Weekes this season is that for a large portion of the year, he was either the #1 goalie (very early in the year before Lundqvist emerged) or #1A with Lundqvist being #1B. And his stats, when compared to what Lundqvist offered, were in no way worthy of a #1A title. He just hasn't displayed the level of skill needed to be a consistent #1 goalie in the NHL this year. Plus this guy can't seem to focus for a full 60 minutes. Weekes has let in some of the weakest goals I've seen from a Ranger goalie in the past few years and that's saying something since I saw Dunham play in 03-04.

And Jason Ward has been excellent. I must admit that when the Ragners announced that they had signed him I wasn't excited at all, but he has really been a hard worker for them. I love his size as well, and I think he'll be very important in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
SML

I cannot believe people are STILL defending Weekes. The guy is not that good. He's responsible, minimum, for one goal a game that is "soft" and that any team in the league should expect any goalie in the league to stop. There is not a whole lot of room for error at the NHL level. So because Weekes is over .500 he's doing a good job? BS. A backup's job is to provide a solid second guy the team can rely on in case of injury and to give the #1 a break now and then. Weekes does not do that, and you can see it when the team takes the ice. If we go into the playoffs with Weekes in goal, we're out in 4 games. The play is even tighter and one bad goal against may as well be the game. Just because he caught his only consistent streak of his life with Carolina doesn't mean it's gonna happen again, and I have a hard time believing he has any confidence playing at home again. He's a good guy and all, but he is not a good fit for this team and I am surprised that it's not perfectly clear to some of us here.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Bretzky*

well, at least weekes spends a lot of time working with charities. if he doesnt help the team on the ice, he sure as hell does it off the ice

Old
03-28-2006, 11:39 AM
eco's bones

Only watched the 1st period last night. I had to get up very early--so I have no idea about what happened in the 2nd period but Kevin looked fine to me in the first. He can be inconsistent. I would like to see him play a few more games though because Henrik could use a bit of a break.

On Ward--my opinion is he is a good to very good 3rd liner. Betts would be a good to very good 4th liner. He is not creative enough to center a 3rd line unless you just don't care whether it produces any goals or not and I don't believe that giving him someone like a Prucha or a Rucinsky is going to make him a better offensive player.

Last edited by eco's bones: 03-28-2006 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Of course they haven't proven themselves as McCarty and Draper have, and they haven't even had enough seasons to do so. I was merely noting that they are STARTING to remind me of those type of players, because they are so solid defensively and always give 110% effort.
It's not about the "proving themselves" part. If you want to make an accurate statement about them reminding you of the Grind line, then you can state that they are like the Grind line, except for the scoring. And the hitting. And the nastiness. And the ability to shut down the other team's top night, each and every game.

Closed Thread