HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hit of the Year in the Canucks/Kings game...

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2006, 04:56 AM
vcx*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetri2000
boss.streamos.com/wmedia/svse/wmedia/mclaren_1-5.wvx

THIS is the greatest hit of the year...no offense to that hit tonight, but nothing beats this one.

Damn, i remember that. That and the Kovalev hit on Tucker are my 2 favourite hits this year.

I was at the game, from where i was sitting it looked like an elbow, but once i saw it was Dustin Brown, i immediately knew it was just one of his devastating hits that he throws out once in a while. Its too bad he fired up the wrong team with the hit. 3-2 turned into 5-2 then 7-4, 5 goals and only 1 answered.

I gotta say this though, Pushkarev or whatever his name is, that guy flies out there and has some pretty nice moves with the puck, if he could maybe work on his balance (stronger legs, gotta do them squats and leg presses buddy boy), he could be a dynamite player out there for LA in years to come.

Old
03-28-2006, 07:34 AM
BigE

Hollweg has to make the top 5 list at least twice. Hell, in one shift he probably had 3 that would make the list.

Old
03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
ktulu98

hit of the year??? hell no...
and it was hit with elbow...

Old
03-28-2006, 08:59 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98
Watch the replay. Elbow was out but the shoulder is what made contact. Which is what would hav emade contact with cooke had the elbow been out or not.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98

Please watch the video again. You look like an idiot responding with this.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra
Ok people the Ruutu hit was not dirty just late and you could argue that about the 3 seconds after you leave the puck. Dempsey was not facing the boards, Ruutu did not drive him into the boards Ruutu hit him in the arm from behind and dempsey lost his balance and fell into the boards.
Sorry, but this is just absurd. Pure homerism here. I am not a Kings fan or a Canuck fan, so I can give a non-homer opinion on it.

It was dirty. It was from behind and it was late. Dempsey didnt see him coming at all and was completely unsuspecting. Dempsey "lost his balance"??? LOL He fell directly into the boards from the impact of the hit. He was knocked off of his feet. He didnt "lose his balance". Try to use SOME objectivity, ok?

Dirty hit, plain and simple.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah, I have to agree. The Ruutu hit was dirty all the way - I don't see how anyone can defend it.

That being said, I wonder why it was called charging? Ruutu didn't take much of a run up to Dempsey, as I recall. You could argue hitting from behind, which is what it was, or you could argue boarding, from the way Dempsey went down. Not that it's a big deal.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
True North

Send a message via MSN to True North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Sorry, but this is just absurd. Pure homerism here. I am not a Kings fan or a Canuck fan, so I can give a non-homer opinion on it.

It was dirty. It was from behind and it was late. Dempsey didnt see him coming at all and was completely unsuspecting. Dempsey "lost his balance"??? LOL He fell directly into the boards from the impact of the hit. He was knocked off of his feet. He didnt "lose his balance". Try to use SOME objectivity, ok?

Dirty hit, plain and simple.
I'm a Canuck fan (one who vigourously defended the Olympic Jagr hit), but even I'll admit that the hit on Dempsey was pretty dirty. Caught him right in the numbers, late hit, and I was surprised he didn't get more than two minutes, actually.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I love the McLaren hit and the Richards hit, but you can't sell this hit short and say it isn't even top ten.

Watch the OLN replay from the reverse angle when they show it at full speed with the sound. Absolutely devestating. Brown KO'd him and he bounced off the boards and then directly on his face. That was one severely busted nose that Cooke has. Maybe not hit of the year, but I'd much rather be on the receiving end of the McLaren or Richards hit then this one.

I don't know how anybody can say this is not top ten or that it was an elbow. I haven't seen a guy drop like that from a hit in a long time.

And I am always on the side of the hitter when it comes to borderline hits but Ruutu's was absolutely bush league. The hit was late, from behind and totally uncalled for.

I just read the AP report on the game and Cooke says his nose isn't broken. I don't know how that's the case because it looked awfully messed up. Perhaps some playoff push posturing? If it wasn't broken then he has a concussion or else he would have came back.

Oh, and Avery Ruutu would be a good fight though, and it was definitely Avery that said the thing about Cookies head.

Last edited by BigKing: 03-28-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old
03-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, I have to agree. The Ruutu hit was dirty all the way - I don't see how anyone can defend it.

That being said, I wonder why it was called charging? Ruutu didn't take much of a run up to Dempsey, as I recall. You could argue hitting from behind, which is what it was, or you could argue boarding, from the way Dempsey went down. Not that it's a big deal.
Good point. Charging was a strange call.

Old
03-28-2006, 01:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I love the "My teams player, didn't knock your teams player into the boards, he just ran into him, your player lost his balance and fell into the boards"

It's like when there's a fight, "he didn't get knocked down, the punch just knocked him off balance and he fell down"

Old
03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Randall Graves*

Avery and Ruutu are of the same breed, pests who won't dare fight a legit heavy when they are instigating crap. I remember when Ruutu cheap shotted Todd Fedoruk from behind, Fedoruk just turned around and the little b**** turtled on the spot.

Avery's no better. What's sad is people find these types of players acceptable

Old
03-28-2006, 02:35 PM
faucette78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing
I love the McLaren hit and the Richards hit, but you can't sell this hit short and say it isn't even top ten.

Watch the OLN replay from the reverse angle when they show it at full speed with the sound. Absolutely devestating. Brown KO'd him and he bounced off the boards and then directly on his face. That was one severely busted nose that Cooke has. Maybe not hit of the year, but I'd much rather be on the receiving end of the McLaren or Richards hit then this one.

I don't know how anybody can say this is not top ten or that it was an elbow. I haven't seen a guy drop like that from a hit in a long time.

And I am always on the side of the hitter when it comes to borderline hits but Ruutu's was absolutely bush league. The hit was late, from behind and totally uncalled for.

I just read the AP report on the game and Cooke says his nose isn't broken. I don't know how that's the case because it looked awfully messed up. Perhaps some playoff push posturing? If it wasn't broken then he has a concussion or else he would have came back.

Oh, and Avery Ruutu would be a good fight though, and it was definitely Avery that said the thing about Cookies head.
He did leave his feet. That is why he was able to get him with his shoulder to the head. That is charging.

Old
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by faucette78
He did leave his feet. That is why he was able to get him with his shoulder to the head. That is charging.
His feet came off the ice from the impact, watch it again.

Old
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
FLYLine24*

That was far from the hit of the year.

Old
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Avery and Ruutu are of the same breed, pests who won't dare fight a legit heavy when they are instigating crap. I remember when Ruutu cheap shotted Todd Fedoruk from behind, Fedoruk just turned around and the little b**** turtled on the spot.

Honestly, does that make any sense? Ruutu's hit aside....Why should these guys fight Heavyweights?

03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:

Why don't you go fight a guy who outweighs you by 100 pounds?

Let us know how it works out for you

Old
03-28-2006, 03:14 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:

thats their job as a pest in the NHL. Is too piss players off and get em off their games. It works really well too. You will love to have a guy like rutuu or cooke on your team. Trust me.

Old
03-28-2006, 03:25 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I'm just re-watching it on the tivo now, and I'll defend it, it wasn't dirty at all. It was *not* late. The clock says 16:55 when the puck leaves Dempseys stick, and it still reads 16:55 when he hits him. It's about 3/4 of a second after he releases the puck, easily well within the "still should be hit" time.

As pointed out, Dempsey is *not* facing the boards, he facing directly up the ice. As for the hit itself, it's a hit from a 45 degree angle. 90 degrees would be from the side, 0 degrees directly from behind. At the time of the hit, you can *read both Dempseys and Ruutu's numbers*, aka he hits him in the arm and the side. Because of the angle hit, it spins him 90 degrees and he hits the boards with his face, but it's not a hit from behind.

The *only* reason this worked out badly for Dempsey, is because his freakin' lid popped off and he hit his head because like 99% of hockey players, it's "uncool" to do up your freakin' chin strap.

Fine, a guy gets hurt, you call a penalty, I have no problem with that. But this was not a dirty hit. It was a hockey hit where someone got hurt, happens all the time.

Old
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetri2000
boss.streamos.com/wmedia/svse/wmedia/mclaren_1-5.wvx

THIS is the greatest hit of the year...no offense to that hit tonight, but nothing beats this one.
when Drew Remenda is speechless, you know it's the hit of the year

Old
03-28-2006, 03:42 PM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi
hit of the year?

No.

Try Mike Richards on Ronald Petrovicky.
Try Kovalev on Tucker

Old
03-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Here is a link to the Brown hit on Cooke. Listen closely to the background audio as Cooke is down to hear somebody from the Kings bench (i.e. Avery) asking Cooke how his head is, .

http://70.249.99.7/temp/brown.mpg
not impressed.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

First off, that clip doesn't do the hit justice. You need to see the reverse angle at full speed with sound to really get the full effect.

There was no charge on the play, or an elbow. Your guy got smoked, deal with it. If that hit on Dempsey was clean I wouldn't be trying to say it wasn't. I love hitting and always err on the side of the hitter but that hit was lame and from behind.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Honestly, does that make any sense? Ruutu's hit aside....Why should these guys fight Heavyweights?
if your gonna talk...walk. Don't go instigating crap, and then not be prepared to pay for it, unfortunately these guys can hide behind the instigator.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Why don't you go fight a guy who outweighs you by 100 pounds?

Let us know how it works out for you
I won't go picking fights with guys 100 pounds heavier than me unlike Avery and Ruutu.
There's no ref to protect me

Closed Thread