HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Expansion draft protection thread

Old
06-13-2017, 08:29 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I'm pretty confident Botts can unload Bogosian to another team via trade without needing to expose him in the draft, which is more than I can say for Moulson/Ennis (who might require sweeteners to compel other GMs to take one or both off our hands.) Why shed just one overpriced contract to Vegas when we could possibly shed two when all is said and done? Exposing Bogo makes little sense.
Agreed. The forwards will be next to impossible to move imo

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
I've updated the list

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 10:37 PM
tim212

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Forwards:
Ryan O'Reilly
Evander Kane
Kyle Okposo
Johan Larsson
William Carrier
Marcus Foligno
Zemgus Girgensons

Defensemen:
Rasmus Ristolainen
Jake McCabe
Justin Falk

Goalie:
Linus Ulmark

Giving them the choice between: Ennis, Moulson, Bogosian, Lehner. Of thouse I think it's Ennis.
Does this really need to be explained?

Bogosian and Lehner have trade value. Ennis and Moulson have negative value. If you want to get rid of Lehner and Bogo, you don't give them away for free. Throw Vegas a draft pick to not take that AHL goalie if you want him so bad. They'll do it happily. And we don't give away assets for free.

tim212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:59 PM
toomuchsauce

This expansion draft...with the goalies, man. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's.

toomuchsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 12:40 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
I'm not exposing Bogo and I am definitely not trading assets to move him. People keep trying to claim how expensive D is to acquire them, so if that's the case then Bogosian still has positive trade value. People are conveniently forgetting his first (partial) season here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I bet we can find this said every single year since he was drafted.

He. Won't.
You must have forgot his first season here. After the Myers trade went down, Bogo absolutely was playing like a legit top 4 dman. In those 21 games he played 26:39 a night. That's an insane amount of minutes. That was also pre Bylsma. He also had 58% Dzs, so he was getting the tough minutes/assignments. He had a whopping 4 hits a game in that stint, along with the best CF% among Sabre dmen that year by far. That was also the 14-15 season where we had one of the worst rosters in NHL history, let alone Sabre history.

Dan Bylsma totally misused Bogo. If he plays at the level he did in 14-15 in the quarter of a season then that is absolutely worth protecting. Bogosian is only turning 27. Considering the price that was paid at the time I am not giving up on Bogosian this early. I am giving him at least this upcoming season to turn it around with a much better team around him and a new coach that isn't the idiot known as Dan Bylsma. The thing is, we are lacking among RHD. Antipin is a RD but he shoots left. Risto is the only other RHD on the roster really.

So long story short, I'm keeping Bogosian for 17-18. He deserves another chance to prove he belongs and he also is our most physical dman. We could use his snarl along with his endurance. Yes he is oft injured. So is Chris Tanev who it seems half the board has a really big thing for. I'm not comparing the two directly, just stating that Bogosian deserves one more season. Because look at it this way, if he does turn it around then that means we have a legit top 4 D still in his 20s signed for a few more years. He's either good enough to stay here long term, or if we can't afford to pay our 4th best dman 5+ mil then he will have very good trade value and can help fill a hole somewhere else. Bogo isn't being exposed. I'm willing to be the on it.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...training-camp/

Quote:
The Sabres will lose a player to the Vegas Golden Knights in next week’s expansion draft. Can Botterill swing a side deal with Vegas GM George McPhee and, say, keep him from taking goalie prospect Linus Ullmark? Botterill couldn’t say if he had an agreement like that with his counterpart.

“I’ve had conversations with him,” Botterill said. “I think it’s a two-step process. I think we feel comfortable where we’re at right now, even though it could change in the next couple days here. But then there’s the unknown. Once you hand your list over, there’s a whole other market that George could have at with other teams now involved.”

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:49 AM
ADoubleD

I'm really hoping that one of Ennis or Moulson goes to Vegas. If Botterill can buyout or dump the other one somewhere too that would be absolutely wonderful, though very improbable. Not only could we use the cap space, but the roster spots as well. Freeing up those spots and that money could allow Botterill to add some solid middle 6 type forwards, which I feel is a need this team has. I'd love to see them pick up a Bonino or Cogliano type player.

If not adding a guy like that, having Ennis and Moulson taking up roster spots limits Botterill's ability to make smaller signings that could turn into nice pickups for the team. Not that he's amazing by any rate, but look at Kris Versteeg for the Flames this year. Signed a one year $950,000 contract ends up with 15 goals and 37 points in 69 games. That's a solid pickup. I can't remember the last time the Sabres made a signing like that.

Last edited by ADoubleD: 06-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.
ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://ingoalmag.com/features/ingoal...draft-preview/

Quote:
BUFFALO SABRES
Under Contract: Linus Ullmark
UFA: Anders Nilsson
Eligible RFA: Robin Lehner
Ineligible: Jason Kasdorf, Jonas Johansson

The Sabres just announced a new contract for Ullmark on Wednesday. It’s a one-way contract worth $750,000 for two years, which makes this 23-year-old prospect rather attractive for Buffalo, who might be ready to promote him to the NHL, but less so for Las Vegas, who might want to keep him in the AHL. Ullmark is waiver exempt, however, which could make up for that.

This allows Buffalo slightly more confidence if they have to expose Ullmark to keep Robin Lehner. Thus far, Lehner has hasn’t quite lived up to the potential the team saw when the acquired him two years ago from Ottawa, but he does have more experience than anyone else in their system. They’ll have to at least qualify Lehner before the submitting their list if they plan to protect either goalie.

They question will be whether they’re prepared to risk losing a pretty good prospect in Ullmark or souring their relationship with their starter Lehner.

Old
06-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Not that he's amazing by any rate, but look at Kris Versteeg for the Flames this year. Signed a one year $950,000 contract ends up with 15 goals and 37 points in 69 games. That's a solid pickup. I can't remember the last time the Sabres made a signing like that.
I can't either, and looking at the all-time roster I'm having trouble even researching out someone who signed on the cheap for us and contributed a half PPG.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 08:32 AM
CacOBG

Which protection model would you use?
7-3-1

Which forwards would you protect?
1) O'Reilly
2) Okposo
3) Kane
4) Larsson
5) Girgensons
6) Foligno
7) Carrier

Which defensemen would you protect?
1) Risto
2) McCabe
3) Bogosian

Which goaltender would you protect?
Ullmark

I trade away Lehner before ED to CGY/WPG if they are keen. I give Nilsson a 2 year contract on the cheap and I promise him to run him as 1B in an 1A/1B system for the next 12 months. He likely doesn't get picked. Then post-ED I get Grubauer from Vegas/WSH with the asset I got for Lehner to run him as the 1A.

Under your protection model, who do you think Vegas takes?
Ennis

CacOBG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 02:29 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Per a couple posts above, it says Lehner needs to be Qualified before the ExpDraft, and the lists are due tomorrow, I thought, so they should be qualifying him today.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 02:40 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Per a couple posts above, it says Lehner needs to be Qualified before the ExpDraft, and the lists are due tomorrow, I thought, so they should be qualifying him today.
I believe the only players who must be qualified before the expansion draft are RFA goaltenders who are being left unprotected to satisfy the exposed goaltender requirement. Other than that, players are subject to the usual qualifying offer deadline of June 26.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 02:57 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
I believe the only players who must be qualified before the expansion draft are RFA goaltenders who are being left unprotected to satisfy the exposed goaltender requirement. Other than that, players are subject to the usual qualifying offer deadline of June 26.
Your interpretation makes way more sense. (I was just responding to the quote Jim Bob posted, which didn't make complete sense at face value.)

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 03:05 PM
ZA29

Which protection model would you use?
7-3-1

Which forwards would you protect?
O'Reilly
Okposo
Kane
Larsson
Carrier
Foligno
Girgensons

Which defensemen would you protect?
Risto
McCabe
Bogosian

Which goaltender would you protect?
Lehner

Who does Vegas take?
I think Ullmark, because they won't want the big contracts, and Ullmark will offer them some value, whether they continue developing him or try to trade him.

ZA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:08 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Well the bright side is if we are stuck with Ennis and Moulson for 17-18, it makes them a lot easier to move next summer with just one year left and a higher Cap hit then salary owed. I have 100% faith in Botterill, something I had zero of for Murray. There won't be anymore ridiculous overpayment trades or trades for "his" guys. Botterill may want one or two of his Pens players but I feel he won't overpay through the nose to Get them and if can't acquire then for a reasonable price will just back off.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim212 View Post
Does this really need to be explained?

Bogosian and Lehner have trade value. Ennis and Moulson have negative value. If you want to get rid of Lehner and Bogo, you don't give them away for free. Throw Vegas a draft pick to not take that AHL goalie if you want him so bad. They'll do it happily. And we don't give away assets for free.
Bogosian has no trade value. That contract is terrible and they wouldn't take him if you expose him unless you give them something.

He's. Bad.

And if by some miracle they would take him...you count your luck that they removed FOUR YEARS AT BIG MONEY for a guy who can't stay on the ice and when he can doesn't belong in your top 4 if you are trying to win.

Lol trade value.

Last edited by Ace: 06-16-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:16 PM
ende

Quote:
Bogosian has no trade value. That contract is terrible and they wouldn't take him if you expose him unless you give them something.

He's. Bad.

And if by some miracle they would take him...you count your luck that they removed FOUR YEARS AT BIG MONEY for a guy who can't stay on the ice and when he can doesn't belong in your top 4 if you are trying to win.

Lol trade value.

You are so silly.

ende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ende View Post
You are so silly.
Thing is, one more season of Bogosuck -- brain dead decision making coupled with injury -- and it's far from silly.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 05:34 AM
static80

Question....
What if a player is traded on your protection list today, does the incoming return get a chance to be protected?

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 05:40 AM
CacOBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Question....
What if a player is traded on your protection list today, does the incoming return get a chance to be protected?
The trades get frozen today and the lists are finalized after.

CacOBG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 05:42 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacOBG View Post
The trades get frozen today and the lists are finalized after.
Ah, thank you.

Old
06-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
I'm really hoping that one of Ennis or Moulson goes to Vegas. If Botterill can buyout or dump the other one somewhere too that would be absolutely wonderful, though very improbable. Not only could we use the cap space, but the roster spots as well. Freeing up those spots and that money could allow Botterill to add some solid middle 6 type forwards, which I feel is a need this team has. I'd love to see them pick up a Bonino or Cogliano type player.

If not adding a guy like that, having Ennis and Moulson taking up roster spots limits Botterill's ability to make smaller signings that could turn into nice pickups for the team. Not that he's amazing by any rate, but look at Kris Versteeg for the Flames this year. Signed a one year $950,000 contract ends up with 15 goals and 37 points in 69 games. That's a solid pickup. I can't remember the last time the Sabres made a signing like that.
Teppo Numminen

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 07:16 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsauce View Post
This expansion draft...with the goalies, man. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's.
The dude agrees man. The dude agrees

Old
06-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Husko

vCash: 165
Quote:

He's. Bad.

Lol trade value.
If you're going to put something in ALL CAPS you should at least get that thing right. He's only signed to three more years.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

https://sports.yahoo.com/blue-jacket...131648385.html

Quote:
From Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, it appears a deal has been cut to make sure that the Knights stay away from forwards Alexander Wennberg and Josh Anderson, backup goaltender Joonas Korpisalo and veteran defensemen Jack Johnson and David Savard:

The Jackets are believed to be trading this year’s first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) and a prospect (not Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano) to Vegas for assurances that the Golden Knights will select either left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray. Vegas’ acquisition of the contract of injured veteran forward David Clarkson ($5.25 million salary cap hit) may also be part of the deal.
If that is the price, I hope Botts just lets Vegas take who they want to take.