HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marko Dano re-signs 1yr 850k

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2017, 01:18 PM
  #76
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,461
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
I agree. I fully expect Vegas to be selecting ten 2017 RFA's.

I think they are the best chips McPhee will use to barter with.

As discussed elsewhere they'll be immediately trading at least 8 of their selections either literally at the ED or sometime in the 2 weeks leading to July 5th.
I'm not so sure about your assumption that that may players will be traded immediately. A few will but the flat cap might muddy the waters in that area

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 01:22 PM
  #77
WPGChief
Rookie User
 
WPGChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
This has Expansion Draft written all over it. I think it can be assumed that it is more than likely that Enstrom has waived his NMC.

VGK and McPhee seems completely uninterested in creating a competitive team now - they want to stack as many RFAs and draft picks as possible to build from within, or trade for assets in the future. Why would they pick a 32-year-old LHD on his last year going into UFA?


Gotta feel for Dano though. He keeps getting moved around yet putting up good numbers, but his skating is so visually awkward, scouts must really dislike him.

WPGChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 01:25 PM
  #78
mcpw
WPG
 
mcpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 7,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
Have you done a mock draft yet?

Things get messy with regards to this when nearing the end of ones selections.
Just tried doing a mock draft without overthinking stuff. Ended up with only 7 unsigned RFAs and I'm very sure two of them won't be available (Josh Anderson and Calvin de Haan).

mcpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:18 PM
  #79
Arthur Fonzarelli
Registered User
 
Arthur Fonzarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
I'm not so sure about your assumption that that may players will be traded immediately. A few will but the flat cap might muddy the waters in that area
McPhee said in his TSN interview that losing his selections to waivers was of paramount concern & as a result would be dealing the excess players immediately.

He went to list July 5th as his deadline as most teams will have made their free agent signings by then & admitted waiting until after this date could have dire consequences.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 02:53 PM
  #80
loupie
Registered User
 
loupie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezeric View Post
I'm a big dano fan. I love how he plays the game. If he gets selected by vegas it will probably be best case for him and for the jets too. He could get a top 6 role and put up points and the jets dont lose any D and have the F depth to replace him.
He gets a top six role on this team I don't watch another game.

loupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 03:04 PM
  #81
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,461
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
McPhee said in his TSN interview that losing his selections to waivers was of paramount concern & as a result would be dealing the excess players immediately.

He went to list July 5th as his deadline as most teams will have made their free agent signings by then & admitted waiting until after this date could have dire consequences.
Yeah fine that's what McPhee said but waivers doesn't happen until september. There is plenty of time. I know he wants draft picks in the upcoming draft so that's where the urgency comes from. I'm not sure 1/3 of the league is about to trade draft picks for players. Maybe 3 or 4 teams do.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 03:17 PM
  #82
TorJet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGChief View Post
This has Expansion Draft written all over it. I think it can be assumed that it is more than likely that Enstrom has waived his NMC.

VGK and McPhee seems completely uninterested in creating a competitive team now - they want to stack as many RFAs and draft picks as possible to build from within, or trade for assets in the future. Why would they pick a 32-year-old LHD on his last year going into UFA?


Gotta feel for Dano though. He keeps getting moved around yet putting up good numbers, but his skating is so visually awkward, scouts must really dislike him.

I'm not so sure that Enstrom has waived. The extra two hours, each way, on flights back to visit his (ill) girlfriend in Sweden from Vegas seems like it wouldn't be ideal for him. Furthermore, at this stage of his career, exposing yourself to being sent down to the minors is a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

It doesn't seem like there is any advantage for him to waive, unless he wants out or is getting traded to a contender. Vegas definitely won't be a contender to start, so that's out....

The fact that he will neither confirm nor deny whether they even asked him suggests to me that he doesn't want to say. Which, to me, suggests the Jets asked and he's said no. If that's the case, it's unlikely we ever find out whether they asked or not, so he won't look like the "bad guy".

That's my hypothesis given the facts at hand.

TorJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 03:22 PM
  #83
Weezeric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorJet View Post
I'm not so sure that Enstrom has waived. The extra two hours, each way, on flights back to visit his (ill) girlfriend in Sweden from Vegas seems like it wouldn't be ideal for him. Furthermore, at this stage of his career, exposing yourself to being sent down to the minors is a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

It doesn't seem like there is any advantage for him to waive, unless he wants out or is getting traded to a contender. Vegas definitely won't be a contender to start, so that's out....

The fact that he will neither confirm nor deny whether they even asked him suggests to me that he doesn't want to say. Which, to me, suggests the Jets asked and he's said no. If that's the case, it's unlikely we ever find out whether they asked or not, so he won't look like the "bad guy".

That's my hypothesis given the facts at hand.
If that's the case, there would be no reason to sign Dano this early. As a comparison Lowry and Armia signed their RFA deals on July 14th last summer. With the expansion draft looming, I doubt Chevy would make it a priority for no reason..

Weezeric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
  #84
Arthur Fonzarelli
Registered User
 
Arthur Fonzarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Yeah fine that's what McPhee said but waivers doesn't happen until september. There is plenty of time. I know he wants draft picks in the upcoming draft so that's where the urgency comes from. I'm not sure 1/3 of the league is about to trade draft picks for players. Maybe 3 or 4 teams do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Yeah fine that's what McPhee said but waivers doesn't happen until september. There is plenty of time. I know he wants draft picks in the upcoming draft so that's where the urgency comes from. I'm not sure 1/3 of the league is about to trade draft picks for players. Maybe 3 or 4 teams do.
Listen to the interview again.

Following "free agent frenzy" in the first few days of July, most teams will have addressed their 2017-2018 roster concerns.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcphee-vegas-will-...draft-1.764973

Direct quote from that interview between McPhee & Lebrun.

"We can't keep 30 players because we can't get six or seven players through waivers if we wanted to, most of them are not waiver exempt. We'll do the best we can and I would say there will probably be a lot of transactions between the day we announce the picks (on June 21) and the entry draft (on June 23), because you know in this business, you have to move players quickly and make your changes quickly because once you get into July 5, there's not a lot of liquidity in the market, people have made their decisions and you don't want to get stuck holding the bag."

Also relevant that McPhee offers up this information without being questioned about it. It's obviously at the forefront of his mind.

Although "picks for players" is one avenue Mcphee will want done before the entry draft, he'll also be trading "prospects for players." He'll have an easier time at the draft table once he has some semblance of knowing what he has in his organization. It's quite likely these deals will happen quickly.

Further although McPhee will have "months" to worry about waivers, the point he made in his interview was that his option would become limited once the first few days of free agency were over & finding takers for his overflow would become more difficult.

Major deals are imminent.


Last edited by Arthur Fonzarelli; 06-13-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 04:00 PM
  #85
Edgar Halliwax
aka Marvin Candle
 
Edgar Halliwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Even if Thorbs was re-signed and exposed, Vegas selects Dano/Copp over Thorbs.

I like Dano, but the argument for Dano over Copp diminished substantially in my view over the course of last season. Copp has shown himself to be an effective and versatile player with some unexpected offense. He skates really well. Being a best buddy of Trouba and very popular on the team might also factor in. He's known for having natural leadership capabilities, and that matters to the Jets apparently.
I'm with you. I really liked the progression of Copp's game last year. Nothing against Dano, but I'd choose Copp over him at this point without hesitastion.

Edgar Halliwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:51 PM
  #86
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 1310
Agreed with those that see the Dano signing as paving the way for the Jets to go 7-3-1. Makes you think there is a strong likely that Toby was asked to waive is NMC and he has agreed. All things being equal losing Dano is not an bad outcome for the XD.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 05:59 PM
  #87
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie View Post
He gets a top six role on this team I don't watch another game.
Bit of an odd reaction. If LV forward depth is weak enough that Dano gets a top 6 role you will stop watching the Jets? Dano would likely evolve into a useful bottom 6 player for the Jets but you have to lose someone. He is not someone we can't replace internally with Connor and Roslovic likely moving up this season. Much better than losing a player like MP IMO.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:07 PM
  #88
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,461
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
Listen to the interview again.

Following "free agent frenzy" in the first few days of July, most teams will have addressed their 2017-2018 roster concerns.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcphee-vegas-will-...draft-1.764973

Direct quote from that interview between McPhee & Lebrun.

"We can't keep 30 players because we can't get six or seven players through waivers if we wanted to, most of them are not waiver exempt. We'll do the best we can and I would say there will probably be a lot of transactions between the day we announce the picks (on June 21) and the entry draft (on June 23), because you know in this business, you have to move players quickly and make your changes quickly because once you get into July 5, there's not a lot of liquidity in the market, people have made their decisions and you don't want to get stuck holding the bag."

Also relevant that McPhee offers up this information without being questioned about it. It's obviously at the forefront of his mind.

Although "picks for players" is one avenue Mcphee will want done before the entry draft, he'll also be trading "prospects for players." He'll have an easier time at the draft table once he has some semblance of knowing what he has in his organization. It's quite likely these deals will happen quickly.

Further although McPhee will have "months" to worry about waivers, the point he made in his interview was that his option would become limited once the first few days of free agency were over & finding takers for his overflow would become more difficult.

Major deals are imminent.
Yeah but you have to have willing partners. You can't force trades unless you're giving them away for peanuts.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as he makes it seem. Time will tell. It's a D & D league now. I just can't see 1/3 of the teams parting with coveted draft picks just before the draft.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:11 PM
  #89
Zhamnov5GoalGame
Registered User
 
Zhamnov5GoalGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Sure. Only reason I mentioned Thorburn is that had he been signed to a one year NHL minimum deal, it would have at least give me some hope that they were opting to protect Dano and expose Copp.
Please no talk of any Thorburn signing to meet the exposure requirement. That would only mean one thing. A signed Chris Thorburn still on our roster and sooner than later on the ice. I'd prefer they signed a nobody UFA who met the requirement who wouldn't come with unlimited "loyalty" points. That way he could be buried on the Moose after he's not selected.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 06:27 PM
  #90
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,567
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Please no talk of any Thorburn signing to meet the exposure requirement. That would only mean one thing. A signed Chris Thorburn still on our roster and sooner than later on the ice. I'd prefer they signed a nobody UFA who met the requirement who wouldn't come with unlimited "loyalty" points. That way he could be buried on the Moose after he's not selected.
^This!
over and over and over ......

No more Thor, Please!

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 07:01 PM
  #91
Arthur Fonzarelli
Registered User
 
Arthur Fonzarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Yeah but you have to have willing partners. You can't force trades unless you're giving them away for peanuts.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as he makes it seem. Time will tell. It's a D & D league now. I just can't see 1/3 of the teams parting with coveted draft picks just before the draft.
He'll have less potential partners with every UFA signed.

That's why he'll move quick.

And I never brought up picks...you can't fill a minor league affiliate with picks.

They needs prospects from somewhere...hint hint

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 07:14 PM
  #92
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25,461
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzarelli View Post
He'll have less potential partners with every UFA signed.

That's why he'll move quick.

And I never brought up picks...you can't fill a minor league affiliate with picks.

They needs prospects from somewhere...hint hint
Yeah I already said I think there will be some deals for prospects and picks. I just don't think there will be quite so many as you suggest. I also think they'll actually just select some AHL guys.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 07:33 PM
  #93
Arthur Fonzarelli
Registered User
 
Arthur Fonzarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Yeah I already said I think there will be some deals for prospects and picks. I just don't think there will be quite so many as you suggest. I also think they'll actually just select some AHL guys.
Mirco Mueller is one that I have my eye on.

You have anyone in mind?


Last edited by Arthur Fonzarelli; 06-13-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Arthur Fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:21 PM
  #94
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(
 
JetsFan815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,805
vCash: 500
If this means that Dano is the odd man out for the XD than am not happy about this. Hopefully they sign Copp tomorrow. Dano may not be a top line scorer but I think he will be an Andrew Cogliano esque ideal middle 6 player and the Jets will regret it. Jets should be getting a sweetner from Vegas for exposing Dano


Last edited by JetsFan815; 06-13-2017 at 08:36 PM..
JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:28 PM
  #95
10Ducky10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Assuming he waives, does Vegas get anything for not drafting Enstrom?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:30 PM
  #96
JetBlue420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle Creek Drive
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
If this means that Dano is the odd man out for the XD than am not happy about this. Hopefully they sign Copp tomorrow. Dano may not be a top line scorer but I think in a he will be an Andrew Cogliano esque ideal middle 6 player and the Jets will regret it. Jets should be getting a sweetner from Vegas for exposing Dano
This boards love affair with guys like petan and dano is borderline insane. These 2 were healthy scratches for a reason. 2 teams poasibly 3 now have moved on from dano now. Every team... Some x 2 passed on Petan also. They are just dime a dozen players really.

JetBlue420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:33 PM
  #97
JetBlue420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle Creek Drive
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Assuming he waives, does Vegas get anything for not drafting Enstrom?
No? Why would they. I wouldnt give them anything atleast. Really? For not taking an overpaid 30 plus yr old coming off the worst season of his career? Why. Id give them both of our 7th rounders to TAKE him regardless of the hole it creates on the left.

JetBlue420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 08:39 PM
  #98
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
This boards love affair with guys like petan and dano is borderline insane. These 2 were healthy scratches for a reason. 2 teams poasibly 3 now have moved on from dano now. Every team... Some x 2 passed on Petan also. They are just dime a dozen players really.
Pretty much agree. I see it pretty much a toss up between Copp and Dano to protect as a #7 forward. It makes sense that they see Copp as a little more versatile being able to play center, and therefore a little more valuable. Interesting you mention Petan as I think Chevy should dangle him and a small sweetener to be able to hold onto Dano.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:07 PM
  #99
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
This boards love affair with guys like petan and dano is borderline insane. These 2 were healthy scratches for a reason. 2 teams poasibly 3 now have moved on from dano now. Every team... Some x 2 passed on Petan also. They are just dime a dozen players really.
Because the coach has no idea what he is doing? That's the only reason I see.

Dano is a quality middle 6 player with lots of upside still. Scores at a borderline top 6 rate while playing with terrible players. It's hilarious how underrated he is. Compared to players with no offense at all like Armia and Lowry are somehow highly valued.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 09:18 PM
  #100
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 6,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Yeah but you have to have willing partners. You can't force trades unless you're giving them away for peanuts.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as he makes it seem. Time will tell. It's a D & D league now. I just can't see 1/3 of the teams parting with coveted draft picks just before the draft.
They don't have to. McPhee has a n AHK affiliate btonbuild as well.

I imagine there will be lots of moves for "petan " level prospects and additional picks (2018) as well.

I highly doubt the only currency be in play is 2017 draft picks.

There will be 3-4 willing to deal those. There will beb3-4 teams like the jets with enough your they can afford to ship out s good looking prospect for a sure thing. And there will be 2-3 teams willing to do something bigger (a higher value player for two lessers due to cap hit, organizational needs, or pure depth)

Fact is the rules handcuff McPhee Into nabbing 27 NHL one non waiver eligible players, thats six more then any team has ever rolled into an NHL training camp with.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.