HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Expansion Draft (6-18-17 - 6-21-17) VGK Selects James Neal

Old
06-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Osprey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
The only plus about keeping Jarnkrok over James Neal is that Jarnkrok is better than Neal defensively and has a much better +/- than Neal who had the highest negative +/- (-10 in the regular season and -8 in the playoffs) compared to our other players even though he had to play top minutes and against other top players. If we can find a player w/ Neal's scoring ability but who is also better defensively than I think we will be okay.
I think that a little too much tends to be made of the defensive games of wingers. Defense isn't really their job. It's on the centermen to be the defensively responsible ones on their lines. I'm not concerned with Neal's defense and chalk his poor +/- this past season and playoffs up to playing with Fisher, who's not good (at least not anymore) at defense. A quick look at the year before, 2015-16, shows that Neal was a +27. That's the difference between being centered by Johansen and being centered by Fisher. Going back another year, Neal was a +12. In fact, you have to go all of the way back to 2009-10 to get to Neal's last year with a negative +/-. I think that that strongly suggests that his -10 this past year is more of anomaly than typical for him. Justifying losing him because his -10 means that he's not good defensively is not a good argument, IMO.

Last edited by Osprey: 06-23-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 09:37 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that a little too much tends to be made of the defensive games of wingers. Defense isn't really their job. It's on the centermen to be the defensively responsible ones on their lines. I'm not concerned with Neal's defense and chalk his poor +/- this past season and playoffs up to playing with Fisher, who's not good (at least not anymore) at defense. A quick look at the year before, 2015-16, shows that Neal was a +27. That's the difference between being centered by Johansen and being centered by Fisher. Going back another year, Neal was a +12. In fact, you have to go all of the way back to 2009-10 to get to Neal's last year with a negative +/-. I think that that strongly suggests that his -10 this past year is more of anomaly than typical for him. Justifying losing him because his -10 means that he's not good defensively is not a good argument, IMO.
Well except for the playoffs, Fisher was +1 in the regular season so that -10 for Neal in the regular season can't all be from being centered by Fisher (more like Ribiero imo) even though I know Neal played top minutes and against top lines. I'm sad to lose Neal but it is what it is and we can't change it so going to just have to make the most of it and hope Poile finds someone w/ similar scoring touch to replace him but also sound defensively as this team still could use more scoring power up front w/ our forwards and limit scoring against. The thing I will miss most is watching the beauty of Neal's goals as they are definitely alot pretty/better than Jarny's and alot of our forwards in general but at the end of the day it isn't pretty goals that wins you a Stanley Cup but just scoring goals when needed/scoring more goals than the opponent, which I feel Neal helped add that to this team for alot of the playoffs just not all of it but helped w/ the run at least and getting to where we got. Going to need to hope Poile gets the right pieces to get the needed scoring and/or clinch scoring to get back to where we were this year w/ our run and to ultimately get the Cup. Only time will tell what the team will look like coming next season. Neal will be missed and was an added plus for the team that was a forward/scoring challenged team before he came along and I wish him the best of luck. Definitely going to need to find a goal scorer to fill his shoes though (whether by trade or by drafting them) to move forward and not backwards in the scoring department cause the past days of being the scoring challenged team are of the past and should stay that way.

Last edited by klt2001: 06-22-2017 at 11:13 PM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I just can't get into my usual draft/free agency mode. I'm not used to so much hockey by my own team. I skipped the awards/expansion draft completely and even reading writeups about the goings on just seems way premature. But it isn't, I'm just not ready for it yet. Seems like it should be around a month away!

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 07:27 AM
JustaFinnishGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I just can't get into my usual draft/free agency mode. I'm not used to so much hockey by my own team. I skipped the awards/expansion draft completely and even reading writeups about the goings on just seems way premature. But it isn't, I'm just not ready for it yet. Seems like it should be around a month away!
I'm so worn out from the playoffs that I don't even care about the draft this year. Last year I only cared because of the Finnish trio in the top 5, and for the Preds pick, who ended up being Fabbro.

JustaFinnishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFinnishGuy View Post
I'm so worn out from the playoffs that I don't even care about the draft this year. Last year I only cared because of the Finnish trio in the top 5, and for the Preds pick, who ended up being Fabbro.
I don't care about the draft much this year because A.) I hope we trade our pick and B.) I'm not a big prospect guy so I don't know much about these guys, especially one who would get drafted as low as us. I know some about a lot of them but not enough to make me care that much.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFinnishGuy View Post
I wonder if it would have been different had we won? Mentally and physically it was a drain. Financially too! Loved it while it was going on, though, except that last game.

Old
06-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Ranskyre

vCash: 50
Saw on the NHL app that Pittsburgh traded a 2020 2nd round pick to VGK for "future considerations." Very fishy.....

Ranskyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranskyre View Post
Saw on the NHL app that Pittsburgh traded a 2020 2nd round pick to VGK for "future considerations." Very fishy.....
Old news. That was the bribe to make sure Fleury was selected.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Ranskyre

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Old news. That was the bribe to make sure Fleury was selected.
Oops. But I like my conspiracy laden reality better. And it matches my shiny hat...

Ranskyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:42 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

According to Pierre LeBrun, expansion draft selections are NOT subject to the "no tradeback" rule. Nashville is eligible to trade for James Neal immediately.

06-26-2017, 10:46 AM
jumb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
According to Pierre LeBrun, expansion draft selections are NOT subject to the "no tradeback" rule. Nashville is eligible to trade for James Neal immediately.

Saw that. Don't see it happening though unless we offer VGK something pretty big.

Neal is exactly what they want. A big name that they will be able to move at the deadline for picks and prospects.

jumb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:50 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumb0 View Post
Saw that. Don't see it happening though unless we offer VGK something pretty big.

Neal is exactly what they want. A big name that they will be able to move at the deadline for picks and prospects.
They are reportedly trying to deal him now, no interest in keeping him this season.

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Say we were hypothetically trying to get Neal back via trade. Do you think VGK could get more for him now or in one of those pre-draft scenarios where we try to make an offer to keep them from picking him in the first place? I guess I'd assume they'd get more now, but maybe I'm wrong.

BTW I don't see McPhee having any interest whatsoever in making a trade with Poile anytime soon.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
They are reportedly trying to deal him now, no interest in keeping him this season.
Where did you see that?

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:06 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiest Morty View Post
Where did you see that?
Lebrun, Dreger, and McKenzie have all been saying it since before the ED. They're trying to get bidding going on Neal, Methot, Schmidt, Sbisa, and a couple of others.

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Lebrun, Dreger, and McKenzie have all been saying it since before the ED. They're trying to get bidding going on Neal, Methot, Schmidt, Sbisa, and a couple of others.
I saw them all speculate that they would shop him for the biggest return, but I never saw anyone confirm that he was actually shopped. He was invited to the expansion show to be on stage with the others, but declined due to surgery. I get the feeling they'll keep him until the deadline, why else invite him to the show?

Old
06-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Color me skeptical, as I seem to recall hearing that Schmidt is a big part of their plans going forward.

Old
06-26-2017, 11:15 AM
drwpreds

So hypothetically, if Vegas calls us and says they will trade Neal back to us for Tolvanen straight up- no other pieces.

If you are Poile would you do it?

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
So hypothetically, if Vegas calls us and says they will trade Neal back to us for Tolvanen straight up- no other pieces.

Nope. Would've done it before, but Tolvanen is a lot better than I expected we could get with that 1st, so no.

Old
06-26-2017, 11:26 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Nope. Would've done it before, but Tolvanen is a lot better than I expected we could get with that 1st, so no.
That is exactly my thinking- pre draft I was 100% in favor of trading our #1 to keep Neal, but not now.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:35 AM
FossilFndr

No, after putting Neal on the block I can't imagine that he would bring his best game to the Preds in the future.

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
No, after putting Neal on the block I can't imagine that he would bring his best game to the Preds in the future.
If we traded to keep the band together and promised a nice reward next season, I'm sure he could get over it and perform.

But he is an emotional guy. It might bother him more than one would think. He was basically traded for Arvidsson, if you consider position and that had to have come as a surprise.

Old
06-26-2017, 12:09 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post

of course you do. Tolvanen hasn't proven anything and wont for at least a couple of years. He might be the next Forsberg but he could also be the next Hugh Jessiman

Neal could help us win a Cup this coming year.

But McPhee wont do that. He passed on Tolvanen with two picks in the teens, so he obviously wasn't all that impressed.

06-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Neal cannot be traded back to us. It's against the expansion draft rules.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Mortiest Morty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Neal cannot be traded back to us. It's against the expansion draft rules.
Not true.